• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
thetechkid said:
So I just got three new dossiers
(Samara, Thane, and Tali)
and I haven't touched any of the loyalty missions yet. Just wanna get a little bit of info on how much more of the game I got ahead of me. Plan on doing all of the side quests as they appear. Also can I finish the main game and then do the DLC or do I need to do that before the suicide mission?

Recruiting characters are imperitive to the main quest. Loyalty missions are not, though they have an impact on the end-game. So that means you can theoretically jump to the end-game without ever doing any loyalty missions.

There is a mission where you will be tasked with retrieving something call the IFF. If you're given this mission, let it wait and do the loyalty missions instead. Most everything past the IFF mission wont leave you much time to do anything other than work towards the final.

Otherwise, as Kurtofan said, you can keep playing after the end-game to finish sidequests, DLC, or whatever.

kylej

Banned
Wow. Overlord was depressing as shit. I really hoped you could save
David and rehab him back on your ship. I can picture some rad encounters with him on your side in ME3.

Looking forward to seeing him again in ME3 either way.

Patryn

kylej said:
David and rehab him back on your ship. I can picture some rad encounters with him on your side in ME3.

You probably won't, based on how ME2 treated Bring Down the Sky.

I'm willing to bet the only DLC that will have a major impact is Lair of the Shadow Broker and possibly the upcoming one that is also supposed to bridge.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kylej said:

you can send him to
some academy/rehab for powerful biotics. I forgot the name. I did it.

I finished Project Overlord on Insane just yesterday, it was fun but nothing too brilliant, sort of glad I only paid 200 allards for it :S

Kisumi is next for me, not expecting much from it as I hear it's the worst out of the current 3 dlc, as a character she seems ok but i've not used her much so far.

ShinAmano

So the achievement 'Brawler' is just not happening for me...can someone give me some tips? The husks I punch do not stumble...do I need to try on a human?

ShinAmano said:
So the achievement 'Brawler' is just not happening for me...can someone give me some tips? The husks I punch do not stumble...do I need to try on a human?
Pretty sure I got them on those weird human geth things, the ones which remind you of zombies in tron suits. I was just smacking them back and shotgunning instantly and it was counting.

ShinAmano

Diablohead said:
Pretty sure I got them on those weird human geth things, the ones which remind you of zombies in tron suits. I was just smacking them back and shotgunning instantly and it was counting.
Yeah the 'Husks' that is what I thought...they just take it when I punch them...no stumble.

Arjen

ShinAmano said:

There's a side quest with a lot husks. Don't know the name though, grab a shotty and 2 piece the bastards.

sam27368

Banned
So I was just reading up on ME3, it seems heavily based on the fact that player should have played the first two (which is fine for me since I have). But a lot of people picked up ME2 without playing ME1, I wonder how this is going to effect new players to ME3.

sam27368 said:
So I was just reading up on ME3, it seems heavily based on the fact that player should have played the first two (which is fine for me since I have). But a lot of people picked up ME2 without playing ME1, I wonder how this is going to effect new players to ME3.
That interactive comic will cover ME1, but it's a shame they have to read about it instead of play the best game ever made this gen.

Grisby

sam27368 said:

Are you talking about people playing the ps3 version? Bioware had some statistics a while back and it seemed like a lot of people had carried over a character form ME1. So it seems like a fair number of people did play the original, at least on the xbox or PC.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Finished the game on Insanity today as an Adept. All I can say is WOW! I actually enjoyed the challenge! The only frustrating part was
in the Collector's Ship against the Scions
(had 6 or 7 Medi-Gels and used them all up in that part!)

I also found the Arc Projector to be a godsend against the YMIR Mechs. Wish I discovered Samara's Reave ability sooner as well.

sam27368

Banned
Grisby said:
Are you talking about people playing the ps3 version? Bioware had some statistics a while back and it seemed like a lot of people had carried over a character form ME1. So it seems like a fair number of people did play the original, at least on the xbox or PC.

No I mean people picking up ME3 on any platform without playing ME2 (or 1), from the sounds of things ME3 sounds incredibly dependant on the choices made in ME2.

Source of my thinking - http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_3 on the PLOT section of the article.

mojiimbo

Two quick questions:

1. What does filling up your bar when mineral mining mean? Some of them I've got so they're green all the way but I can still seemingly continue to mine that mineral.

2. Can I put off upgrading the Normandy's cannons and shields and whatnot until I get closer to the end of the game? I've been buying the practical ship upgrades like the one that gives you more efficient mining but I haven't run into a situation where upgraded cannons would come in useful.

Thanks.

Leatherface

So I've been playing ME2 and I'm getting close to the end. I mined every planet to depletion, and have done mostly everything there is to do in the game (that i can tell). Now that I'm nearing the end though, I really wish I didn't waste all my time scanning fucking planets. it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so damn many. Also mining to the extent I've done has provided me almost no benefit at all, but I kept going because I thought it would lead to something significant in the form of upgrades etc.

A word of advice to future players: Don't waste your time mining everything. It will only ruin an otherwise amazing experience.

P.S.- BRING BACK THE MAKO!!! :D

masterkajo

Leatherface said:
So I've been playing ME2 and I'm getting close to the end. I mined every planet to depletion, and have done mostly everything there is to do in the game (that i can tell). Now that I'm nearing the end though, I really wish I didn't waste all my time scanning fucking planets. it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so damn many. Also mining to the extent I've done has provided me almost no benefit at all, but I kept going because I thought it would lead to something significant in the form of upgrades etc.

A word of advice to future players: Don't waste your time mining everything. It will only ruin an otherwise amazing experience.

Yep... been there... done that. After having everything upgraded I still have over 200000 for each of the three minerals as well as over 50000 for element zero. Hope they change that for ME3. For me it was a strict one mission per day basis so the game wouldn't end so soon and when I did the daily mission I still wanted to play so I kept on scanning planets and chatting with friends about the mission.

IoCaster

Leatherface said:

I believe it was Casey Hudson that stated how surprised he was that so many people obsessed over the mining thing. He really thought that people would simply mine some resources only when they needed to upgrade and go to the next mission. He never expected that people would be strip mining the galaxy. :lol

Oh yeah, I agree about the MAKO. I hated it at first but played the game (X360) so many times that I became a pro. Then I played the PC version and found that they'd really tuned that buggy up nice. I definitely miss bouncing over space tundra hunting Maws.

X-Frame

Damn, all I did was mine the Rich planets when I needed to upgrade something .. not mine planets just to mine planets -- but that's me.

It wasn't an issue for me, especially after they patched mining to make it more efficient.

Leatherface

IoCaster said:
I believe it was Casey Hudson that stated how surprised he was that so many people obsessed over the mining thing. He really thought that people would simply mine some resources only when they needed to upgrade and go to the next mission. He never expected that people would be strip mining the galaxy. :lol

I say to him never underestimate the fortitude of a true gamer. :lol

Leatherface said:
I say to him never underestimate the fortitude of a true gamer. :lol

It's weirdly addictive, even though it's ridiculously tedious. I remember listening to podcasts while sucking the galaxy dry. I was pretty damn efficient too.

eosos

Banned
Wow this game is awesome. I'm about 16 hours in and I think I'm gonna buy Mass Effect 1 after this so I can see how everything ties together. I've tried the games on the 360 and didn't really enjoy them, but the PC version is just incredible.

eosos said:
Wow this game is awesome. I'm about 16 hours in and I think I'm gonna buy Mass Effect 1 after this so I can see how everything ties together. I've tried the games on the 360 and didn't really enjoy them, but the PC version is just incredible.

You should definitely do it but playing ME 2 first was probably a bad idea. The gameplay issues of the first are probably going to feel that much worse but the story is so good and the climax and ending are some of the best moments to come out of this generation. My advice would be to stop playing ME2 right now and play the first game. Carry your character into the 2nd. It may sound crazy but it would make your experience so much better.

eosos

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
You should definitely do it but playing ME 2 first was probably a bad idea. The gameplay issues of the first are probably going to feel that much worse but the story is so good and the climax and ending are some of the best moments to come out of this generation. My advice would be to stop playing ME2 right now and play the first game. Carry your character into the 2nd. It may sound crazy but it would make your experience so much better.
But... 16 hours!

Subitai

eosos said:
But... 16 hours!
One of the biggest things that draws you in is how much outcomes are determined by you from ME1 are reflected in ME2.

Also, the final 4-6 hours of ME1 are the most epic story you will ever experience in a game.

If nothing else do it for Tali. :D

sam27368

Banned
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have the Xbox 360 controller config file for ME1 PC?
All the download links are dead it's driving me mad!

mokeyjoe

Subitai said:
One of the biggest things that draws you in is how much outcomes are determined by you from ME1 are reflected in ME2.

Also, the final 4-6 hours of ME1 are the most epic story you will ever experience in a game.

If nothing else do it for Tali. :D

I'd played ME1 before but when I finished ME2 I went back to ME1 for a renegade Femshep playthrough. Yeah the combat was wonky but it's great playing ME1>ME2 back to back, you get really attached to your character.

X-Frame

eosos said:
But... 16 hours!

Lol.

I also made sure that I played ME1 first before I did ME2 .. (just like I am making sure I beat Dragon Age Origins before I play DA:2), and ME1 really is a GREAT game overall with design/performance flaws, but still great.

Also, there's a pretty big difference in the story and the amount of characters you see again in ME2 if you import a save file. The times when I did a free-ME2 run with no import seemed very barren in comparison.

It's up to you what you want to do!

Bernbaum

Can the 'Alternative Appearance Pack' DLC be toggled on/off for specific characters, or does it automatically replace all three existing character models and can't be changed back?

Bernbaum said:
Can the 'Alternative Appearance Pack' DLC be toggled on/off for specific characters, or does it automatically replace all three existing character models and can't be changed back?
yeah you can toggle it for each character

edit: when is the new OT going up?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
X-Frame said:
The ME3 PS3 thread should be able to go up now correct? It is less than 1 week until the 18th ..

Mods told me to put it up on the 18th.

Swag

Is there a Mass Effect 2 GOTY edition going to be released with all the DLC included? I wanna pick it up off Steam but don't wanna buy each DLC pack individually.

Sebulon3k said:
Is there a Mass Effect 2 GOTY edition going to be released with all the DLC included? I wanna pick it up off Steam but don't wanna buy each DLC pack individually.
They might be waiting for the last DLC to be finished.

Rlan

Just finished it. Fantastic game. Lost Miranda and Legion though, which kind of sucks because both are characters I wouldn't be surprised pop up at some point in Mass Effect 3 :/

Miranda wasn't loyal -- not sure why though. I assume it's because I went with Jack in their scuffle. Lost Legion by being shot in the head, and Miranda got crushed at the very end :(

Don't think I could have upgraded much more stuff -- did a lot of looking around and buying shit.

sca2511

Rlan said:
Just finished it. Fantastic game. Lost Miranda and Legion though, which kind of sucks because both are characters I wouldn't be surprised pop up at some point in Mass Effect 3 :/

Miranda wasn't loyal -- not sure why though. I assume it's because I went with Jack in their scuffle. Lost Legion by being shot in the head, and Miranda got crushed at the very end :(

Don't think I could have upgraded much more stuff -- did a lot of looking around and buying shit.
damn if I were playing, I'd be reloading my last save everytime I messed up:lol

Rlan said:

If you do miranda's loyalty early on in the game and then go with jack when they fight, you can get miranda's loyalty back after some sweet talking, but you lose the offer of sex :(

Bernbaum

So I've got all the DLC mission packs, the Cerberus ones included.

When is a good time to do these? Will they be accessible post-game, or does ME2 'end'?

Bernbaum said:

When is a good time to do these? Will they be accessible post-game, or does ME2 'end'?

All accessible post-game, but in a plot way everything except for Shadow Broker seems to have been written to take place before the suicide mission. A few lines in Shadow Broker change depending on if you play it pre-or-post endgame, but I'd say that it was written to be played afterwards, as a bridge between ME2 and 3.

Arjen

Bernbaum said:

I would suggest to do Kasumi as soon as possible, she's a great squadmate and has a nice new SMG to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom