• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

Arjen said:
I would suggest to do Kasumi as soon as possible, she's a great squadmate and has a nice new SMG to boot.
Wow, didn't realise she was DLC. I did a blanket download of all the DLC before even firing the game up and had no idea. Same for Zaeed.

Yes, she's tops, I like her. The SMG is basass too - I'm rocking a Vanguard, and it's a nice compromise for an Assault Rifle.

It also looks like there are two 'batches' of recruitment, with a few blanks on my team load-out at present.

So far I have Zaeed, Kasumi, Jack, Miranda, Archangel (fuck yes), and Mordin.

In a 'not too spoilery' way, are there any not-quite-so obvious choices that may affect loyalties and/or survival of the end mission.

And damn, I tried to stay spoiler-free before going into this and thought that having some key things broken by the Bombcast would have ruined it. Not to worry, as the game pretty much tells the player how the rest of the plot will play out and what Shepard is building towards.

The game fucking rocks! I love it, scaled-back RPG elements and everything.

APZonerunner said:
All accessible post-game, but in a plot way everything except for Shadow Broker seems to have been written to take place before the suicide mission. A few lines in Shadow Broker change depending on if you play it pre-or-post endgame, but I'd say that it was written to be played afterwards, as a bridge between ME2 and 3.

So from a story-telling perspective, you'd recommend playing Shadow Broker post-game. I've been reading the books (Revelation, Ascension and Redemption) in order with the games and am totally going for a chronological experience.

Arjen

Bernbaum said:
Wow, didn't realise she was DLC. I did a blanket download of all the DLC before even firing the game up and had no idea. Same for Zaeed.

Yes, she's tops, I like her. The SMG is basass too - I'm rocking a Vanguard, and it's a nice compromise for an Assault Rifle.

It also looks like there are two 'batches' of recruitment, with a few blanks on my team load-out at present.

So far I have Zaeed, Kasumi, Jack, Miranda, Archangel (fuck yes), and Mordin.

In a 'not too spoilery' way, are there any not-quite-so obvious choices that may affect loyalties and/or survival of the end mission.

And damn, I tried to stay spoiler-free before going into this and thought that having some key things broken by the Bombcast would have ruined it. Not to worry, as the game pretty much tells the player how the rest of the plot will play out and what Shepard is building towards.

The game fucking rocks! I love it, scaled-back RPG elements and everything.

So from a story-telling perspective, you'd recommend playing Shadow Broker post-game. I've been reading the books (Revelation, Ascension and Redemption) in order with the games and am totally going for a chronological experience.

Stroywise it's better to play Shadow Broker post game.
But it does give you some great usefull stuff if you do it during your regular playthrough.

Rlan

Diablohead said:
If you do miranda's loyalty early on in the game and then go with jack when they fight, you can get miranda's loyalty back after some sweet talking, but you lose the offer of sex :(

All I got from Miranda was just "Don't want to talk". There were two other blacked out options ("be the better woman") etc. I assume I have to break it off with Jack prior and then go talk to Miranda? But then I'd lose Jack's loyalty...

X-Frame

Rlan said:
All I got from Miranda was just "Don't want to talk". There were two other blacked out options ("be the better woman") etc. I assume I have to break it off with Jack prior and then go talk to Miranda? But then I'd lose Jack's loyalty...
Your Paragon or Renegade meter is too low to resolve the conflict. I'd try and max whichever one you are before going into the final missions so that you can regain their loyalty.

A quick fix is (if you aren't already) to ReSpec to whichever passive ability that will give a 100% bonus to your morality meter, initiate the conversation, then switch back.

Rlan said:
I can't fully remember how I did it but I did gain their loyalty back, I might have had some better speech unlocked or something related.

The first time I had to do that fight scene I was like "ah shit something is going to backfire down the line" but then I fixed it all, and was :D

JohngPR

Got this via DD from Amazon for $10.

I beat ME1 three times (Once as a Paragon, once playing it with my wife as "Elissa Shepard lol", and then as a renegade all on 360), and I still have to play ME2 as a Renegade...might as well do it with much better graphics and twice the framerate. :p

I'll just find a ME1 save on the net that matches the stuff I chose for my renegade and copy it so I can import it into ME2.

Leatherface

So I lost both Miranda and Tali. Totally sucks because I forgot to do a save before the end. Miranda I could live with a guess, but I liked Tali and she's been with me since ME1. :(

X-Frame

Leatherface said:
So I lost both Miranda and Tali. Totally sucks because I forgot to do a save before the end. Miranda I could live with a guess, but I liked Tali and she's been with me since ME1. :(
I've beaten ME2 about 9 times, will probably hit 12 before ME3 comes.

I'm sure you can muster the energy to start another file - maybe with another class?

My first playthrough sucked, so many people died but I learned a lot and my next run was a lot better. No guides.

Patryn

Leatherface said:

Something most people miss: The game still considers the suicide mission as your last mission undertaken. You can choose to restart your last mission, in this case the suicide mission.

Do so, do another save after they live, you're good.

This is assuming you haven't done any missions after the end of the game.

Leatherface

Patryn said:
Something most people miss: The game still considers the suicide mission as your last mission undertaken. You can choose to restart your last mission, in this case the suicide mission.

Do so, do another save after they live, you're good.

This is assuming you haven't done any missions after the end of the game.

THANK YOU!!! I will do this! :D

JDS 1977

Banned
Just started this finally. I'm annoyed that the option to have the helmet visible only when it was needed in the environment was removed since the first game.
So I'm just not using a helmet for now since I like seeing the face in conversations. Even Dragon Age hid your helm in dialogue, what gives?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
JDS 1977 said:
Just started this finally. I'm annoyed that the option to have the helmet visible only when it was needed in the environment was removed since the first game.
So I'm just not using a helmet for now since I like seeing the face in conversations. Even Dragon Age hid your helm in dialogue, what gives?

That is retarded, I agree. ME1 had helmet toggling.

X-Frame

I also hope that ME3 auto-removes the helmets like Dragon Age. A lot times I don't wear any helmet in ME2 because I want to see my FemShep's face during dialogue.

Mindlog

X-Frame said:
I also hope that ME3 auto-removes the helmets like Dragon Age. A lot times I don't wear any helmet in ME2 because I want to see my FemShep's face during dialogue.
I'd actually like to see more auto-removal of armor. The DLC does it twice: Stolen Memory party and Shadow Broker visits. The same goes for the squad. Why would they wear full battle armor when lounging around on the ship? It breaks the Allusion™.

I also have a problem with breathing masks in a vacuum -_-

X-Frame

Mindlog said:
I'd actually like to see more auto-removal of armor. The DLC does it twice: Stolen Memory party and Shadow Broker visits. The same goes for the squad. Why would they wear full battle armor when lounging around on the ship. It breaks the Allusion™.

I also have a problem with breathing masks in a vacuum -_-

Yeah, like Garrus should've realized to take off his destroyed armor once he got out of the Med Bay, but nah he'd rather put it back on for his calibrations.

Mr_Zombie

Mindlog said:
The same goes for the squad. Why would they wear full battle armor when lounging around on the ship. It breaks the Allusion™.

Most of the costumes your party is wearing I wouldn't even call "full battle armor" ;)
Just look at Miranda and Samara (with their big cleavages), Jack (with her naked upper body), Mordin (with his lab coat) etc.
But yeah, I agree. It's silly that besides Shepard no one even bothers to change clothes when on Normandy. :/

AkuMifune

Banned
Finished the game on Insanity last night to get that last achievement (for now), and though it was frustrating at times the end game was way more interesting than my first playthrough, when everyone made it out unscathed. This time I blew through the game as fast as possible and did like 2 loyalty missions. People were dying left and right and I didn't know who would make it or if Shepard even would. In the end only Grunt, Jack, Samara and Shepard were left. It was awesome.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, the
Reaper IFF
level on insanity makes me want to break something.

Going to have to restart from earlier and retrain my bonus power to Armor-piercing ammo for all those husks, otherwise this would get really shitty really fast.

I also have a problem with breathing masks in a vacuum

That weirded me out too, but I just assumed after a bit that each character that uses a breath mask (Samara, Jack, Miranda, and Jacob), are each using their biotics to keep the pressure from crushing them. Thane, Zaeed, Garrus, Grunt, and Kasumi (I think?) all use helmets.

Mindlog

What is your class?

Probably already know but:
I normally take Miranda/Thane on those missions. Their warp powers and Miranda's squad bonuses are very handy. I also take the Cain to make the last encounter a snap. Shooting husk legs is more important than headshots. Give your allies commands to stay back. Trapping husks at checkpoints helps a lot. 1 point in Stasis really does a number on Scions. Those are the quick general tips off the top of my head.

___

Long before we heard anything about ME2 one of my biggest little gripes was that there were no bathrooms in ME1 :D Maybe they'll address some of the costume stuff.

VVV The renegade ending to Jack's loyalty mission is messed up. They really need to rework the system.

Neki

I just spam Throw Field (think that's the name) on husks, so fun and ammo free! Also, was thinking about doing a renegade playthrough of ME1 -> ME2, but my god, renegade options make me feel like the biggest douche in the world. Especially with a renegade interrupt, just randomly shooting people while they're talking. I don't think I could go through two whole games of it, makes the main character so unlikeable. lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Metroidvania said:
Going to have to restart from earlier and retrain my bonus power to Armor-piercing ammo for all those husks, otherwise this would get really shitty really fast.

Make sure you shoot at their legs.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Mindlog said:
What is your class?

Hmm, I had Mordin and Thane, Mordin for Area Incinerate and Thane for warp and sniping alongside my infiltrator.

I can take the husk swarms just fine at first, but without armor-piercing ammo, my widow runs out of ammo and it's a pain blowing a lotus clip into a husk to kill it, meanwhile, my squad runs out while I'm tactically retreating and dies, leaving all the enemies focused on me, lol. I'll try it again tomorrow, being super tired probably isn't helping.

All in all though, I've run into much less "trial and error" points than I thought I would for an insanity playthrough. Much more enjoyable than ME1's "Spam-immunity" enemies that required Liara in your party for warp.

Make sure you shoot at their legs.

Somehow, I got in the headshot mindset from the Widow and 4 hours of playing, and completely forgot about this. Sigh.

thetechkid

So am I missing something or does Garrus just love calibrations? Whenever I go up to him he never has anything to say, same with Jacob. Do I need to do the loyalty missions for my god dam team to start talking to me again?

thetechkid said:
So am I missing something or does Garrus just love calibrations? Whenever I go up to him he never has anything to say, same with Jacob. Do I need to do the loyalty missions for my god dam team to start talking to me again?

Nothing can tear Garrus away from those calibrations...

ycDp-4.jpg

X-Frame

Oh and that reminds me .. there better be a shitload more hairstyles for my FemShep for ME3.

I am STILL surprised that BioWare hasn't added some DLC or something to include all the hairstyles that people are using with mods. Obviously, people want them .. why not allow them?

I just learned this for anyone thinking of starting a new ME2 game soon - the Motion Comic will be available free via Cerberus Network for PC/360, I was told today by someone at EA. For a bit more info, supposedly it lets you make 6 major choices from ME1, though it emits the mission on Feros completely, which is weird.

Lothars

APZonerunner said:
I just learned this for anyone thinking of starting a new ME2 game soon - the Motion Comic will be available free via Cerberus Network for PC/360, I was told today by someone at EA. For a bit more info, supposedly it lets you make 6 major choices from ME1, though it emits the mission on Feros completely, which is weird.

I don't think that's a big loss, Feros doesn't really offer much in choices that carry over to ME2, It is strange though they don't even reference it though.

X-Frame

APZonerunner said:
So if I start a new game on my 360, I'd be able to load up the Comic and change the default choices?

I've had a review copy of ME2 for the PS3 for a bit now, but it's non-final and the motion comic isn't in it. Pretty certain the Motion Comic is a Cerberus download on the PS3 as well.

It's just a shame that while they've added this comic it only lets you choose six major choices. I was hoping it'd insert some of the smaller ones that show up in ME2. What will the major choices be?

Fate of Wrex, Kaiden/Ashley, Fate of Council, Love Interest...

EDIT: Also fate of Rachni Queen and Anderson/Udina. Done. Those are your choices.

X-Frame said:
So if I start a new game on my 360, I'd be able to load up the Comic and change the default choices?

Yeah, as long as you bought the game new for your Cerberus code.

APZonerunner said:

!!

My speculation above was stupid; figured it out. Not hard to see what the six choices are...

• Fate of Rachni Queen
  • Fate of Wrex
  • Kaiden or Ashley
  • Love Interest
  • Fate of Council
  • Anderson or Udina

Not hard to fathom when I think for more than ten seconds.

krzy123

JDS 1977 said:

Helmets actually have stats, i think the default gives 5% health :/

Arjen

APZonerunner said:

That's pretty awesome.

Kurtofan

APZonerunner said:
I've had a review copy of ME2 for the PS3 for a bit now, but it's non-final and the motion comic isn't in it. Pretty certain the Motion Comic is a Cerberus download on the PS3 as well.

It's just a shame that while they've added this comic it only lets you choose six major choices. I was hoping it'd insert some of the smaller ones that show up in ME2. What will the major choices be?

Fate of Wrex, Kaiden/Ashley, Fate of Council, Love Interest...

EDIT: Also fate of Rachni Queen and Anderson/Udina. Done. Those are your choices.
Anderson/Udina is done at the start of ME2.

Feros is left out because it was more of a trap than anything else.

Kurtofan said:
Anderson/Udina is done at the start of ME2.

Feros is left out because it was more of a trap than anything else.

It's only done at the start of ME2 because there was a bug in the original ME1 code, mind. I can't think of a sixth 'major' choice...

EDIT: Can you change Shepard's Original Background in ME2, or is it defaulted? Maybe it's that.

As for Feros, I just thought it might end up being important as it's mentioned in passing a bit in ME2 and the Thorian seemed like something that could return, mind control and all that; seemed very Reaperish.

APZonerunner said:

I was hoping they'd do that.

When you say it omits the Feros mission, do you mean it isn't included in the comic at all or the choices you make during that mission are omitted?

Felix Lighter said:
I was hoping they'd do that.

When you say it emits the Feros mission, do you mean it isn't included in the comic at all or the choices you make during that mission are emitted?

It's not in at all - or at least that's what I was told. I have to stress that while I've played the shit out of ME2 I haven't seen the comic yet, and I won't 'til launch day.

Also, I'm a tired, flu-ridden idiot, as it's Omit, not emit. Doh.

APZonerunner said:
It's not in at all - or at least that's what I was told. I have to stress that while I've played the shit out of ME2 I haven't seen the comic yet, and I won't 'til launch day.

Also, I'm a tired, flu-ridden idiot, as it's Omit, not emit. Doh.

That is an odd choice. Ultimately, it doesn't effect the main plot and the result is just some leads for the investigation of Saren but it was one of the handful of major story missions.

Lothars

distantmantra said:
Do we really need a separate thread for the PS3 version?

It's not gonna be seperate but it's gonna be the official thread for the PS3 version as well, I believe the thread will be created on the 18th at least from what has been said.

does this game lose anything if you don't have a save transferred over from Mass Effect?

i loved that game, but since i've beaten it my hard drive died and i have a new xbox so i won't be transferring any saves.

i fear the experience won't be as good.. although it's been a while and i can't really remember anything that happened storywise lol

krzy123

brianjones said:
does this game lose anything if you don't have a save transferred over from Mass Effect?

i loved that game, but since i've beaten it my hard drive died and i have a new xbox so i won't be transferring any saves.

i fear the experience won't be as good.. although it's been a while and i can't really remember anything that happened storywise lol

I believe you the default is that it assumes your character was renegade .. and
wrex is dead

or read http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer

Rufus

brianjones said:
I played with a non-imported Shep on one of my other play-throughs and didn't feel like I was missing anything substantial.

X-Frame

Rufus said:
I played with a non-imported Shep on one of my other play-throughs and didn't feel like I was missing anything substantial.
I thought it was missing a good amount of stuff. There's a lot of NPC's you see in ME2 from the first game. A default playthrough felt kinda empty in comparison.

Neki

I'm really struggling to play Mass Effect 1 again after finishing ME2. Combat feels so much slower and less fluid, the cover system is so wonky, and the ability cooldowns are so long. I don't know if I should tone down the difficulty though, I'm constantly low health and cooldowns on the heal is long, playing Mass Effect 2 before 1 really spoils the gameplay. lool. I just might play Mass Effect 2 again with a new class. The only thing I don't like about the default is how they give you like the worst choices from ME1.

Ultimoo said:
I'm really struggling to play Mass Effect 1 again after finishing ME2. Combat feels so much slower and less fluid, the cover system is so wonky, and the ability cooldowns are so long. I don't know if I should tone down the difficulty though, I'm constantly low health and cooldowns on the heal is long, playing Mass Effect 2 before 1 really spoils the gameplay. lool. I just might play Mass Effect 2 again with a new class. The only thing I don't like about the default is how they give you like the worst choices from ME1.

I just played ME1 over the holidays and I actually enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit. I've played through it quite a few times, though, first time on the Xbox 360 and the rest on the PC and I've gotten a good feel for it. Lift and throw are insanely powerful when they are upgraded and the cool down is pretty quick for both. Once you get over the initial clunkiness it can be rewarding.

Neki

Felix Lighter said:
I just played ME1 over the holidays and I actually enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit. I've played through it quite a few times, though, first time on the Xbox 360 and the rest on the PC and I've gotten a good feel for it. Lift and throw are insanely powerful when they are upgraded and the cool down is pretty quick for both. Once you get over the initial clunkiness it can be rewarding.
Fair enough, I'll give it another shot, I'll just need to make sure to avoid side quests because that is what bogged me down from finishing it the first time. I do enjoy unlimited ammo, but maybe I should have picked a Soldier instead of Vanguard, probably would have made the game a lot easier. Am I crazy or is the cover system just terrible in Mass Effect 1? Maybe I'm just used to the hold a and tilt to stick to a wall automatically in ME2. I still do miss the fast shield regen and actual health regen though. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom