• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
prodystopian said:
There was a quote in one of these threads that said the wait for ME3 should be shorter than the wait for ME2, but we've heard that before, so...

But BioWare isn't Valve. And, I would like to think they're not doing such a great overhaul with graphics and presentation as they've done from 1 to 2 but that they've focused on creating a new game. Hopefully they've had both games in development all this time and have already done a great deal of work for the 3rd one.

i3t761.jpg

:D :D Does that mean I could get mine tomorrow as I gave him my details today?

Question for 360 owners.

How long does it take to load when you install it on the HDD?

I imagine that some work was done simultaneously on ME2 and 3. I believe they said that they did the skill system the way they did in ME2 because it would be easy to carry over into ME3 instead of having the player start from square one again. Same thing for level cap being lower than ME1's, if I recall correctly.

Meus Renaissance said:
Question for 360 owners.

How long does it take to load when you install it on the HDD?

Not terribly long. 7 minutes maybe. Of course double that for the ME2's 2 discs.

just a quick note regarding things that carry over...

minor spoiler, not plot related
in one of the stations, walking around there's an audio 'live news feed' playing... some of the items in the news are based on your decisions in ME1.

syllogism

Lyphen said:
Question to anyone who's beaten the game: Can you keep playing after the conclusion? And if you can, is it like Dragon Age? (Only DLC areas are accessible for Epilogue play - which sucks).
You can keep playing and there are no restrictions I think

I just read somewhere that you cannot buy weapons in this game but instead need to find them scattered? What? Say it aint so

Thnikkaman said:
Lucky bugger! How'd you get in on that?

Won an easy competition at IGN and met some of their staff and the EA guys. All really nice people by the way. I posted a thread on GAF sometime ago asking if anyone would want to come along with me as I had an extra invite. Took another GAF member with me eventually (Sohois)

wRATH2x

Banned
foomfoom415 said:
But if you've seen the IGN review why even bother with the gametrailers review? Are you really on the fence about this game? :lol If you're one of those impatient types who has consumed every bit of media/trailer released for the game out of anticipation, you already know way too much about the game IMO. :lol BioWare's marketing REALLY overdid it.
Its because my goddamn local games store won't be getting it for a while. And I was buying this game before it was even announced.

I just need my fix.

kinoki said:
But BioWare isn't Valve. And, I would like to think they're not doing such a great overhaul with graphics and presentation as they've done from 1 to 2 but that they've focused on creating a new game. Hopefully they've had both games in development all this time and have already done a great deal of work for the 3rd one.

Good point. I'm just bitter about Ep. 3. Hopefully, that quote is accurate.

striKeVillain! said:
Stupid Amazon $10 credit only applies to games shipped until Feb 28th. Was hoping to get BC2 a little cheaper. :/

You can pre-order BC2 to use $10 credit. Amazon won't charge you, if you're paying by credit card, until they ship your product.

kaskade

MirageDwarf said:
You can pre-order BC2 to use $10 credit. Amazon won't charge you, if you're paying by credit card, until they ship your product.
Very cool. I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to Preorder FF13. I can't wait to get home today.

Zeliard

a Master Ninja said:
Just got the the Citadel. Lots of fun details. News stories about my ME1 exploits, humorous commercials, model ships, space hamsters...so good.

The Citadel in ME2 is great. I like the new areas they let you explore. The satirical humor there is particularly fun.

And using Zaeed and Thane together is a lot fun, both in combat and during dialogue sessions with NPCs. They both place a similar value on honor, and are devastating snipers and assassins, but they're basically polar opposites in their personalities. It's fun to watch how they react to certain things.

I also love just setting Zaeed and Thane back in combat with sniper rifles out, then individually targeting an enemy with one of the two and watching them slump down as they get a bullet to the head two seconds later. The feedback to the player in the way most enemies react to what you throw at them is so much better (and a lot more varied) than in the first game. Just makes the combat much more enjoyable.

foomfoom415 said:
Ugh. I agree completely.

It brings nothing to the game, only detracts from it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the infinite ammo from ME1. They even explained it in a way that totally made sense in terms of the game universe. Now they've inexplicably jumped to an inferior technology in a way that tries to completely rewrite the game history. You've got enemies dropping the "ammo" that have no business carrying it. Hell, it even spawns right in front of you during some of the arena battles.

Some might argue it adds another element of strategy since you have to watch your ammo, but you really don't. It's so rare that you run out of ammo, and when you do, it's such a minor issue to switch to a new gun for 10 seconds till you come across another piece of ammo dropped from a (main bad guys spoiler)
fucking collector
who had no business carrying it in the first place.

Granted overall its a pretty minor issue, but it's such a shame on an otherwise relatively unblemished game. Just a poor, poor decision.

It's sort of funny that people are complaining about the game being dumbed down/streamlined, and yet a lot of those same people want every single weapon to magically recharge again and allow for unlimited use.

Ammo clips was a fantastic design decision, and makes sense given just how many more weapon classes there are in ME2 than in the first game. And that's just classes, not even weapons as a whole.

A question for the lucky people who already got the game.

In the first game you could get alot of credits very quick, but imo it was disappointing that there wasn't a whole lot to spend on with your credits. Has this changed with Mass Effect 2?

Thanks.

I am never watching another GameTrailers review again. Why didn't they just go ahead and summarise the entire story from beginning to end, seems like they got halfway there *rolls eyes*.

Einbroch

Banned
Lifejumper said:

In the first game you could get alot of credits very quick, but imo it was disappointing that there wasn't a whole lot to spend on with your credits. Has this changed with Mass Effect 2?

Thanks.
Yes. Almost too much so.

Credits are extremely rare, and if you want all the upgrades you're going to need to do some serious scrounging.

Lunchbox

Banned
Xanafalgue said:
I am never watching another GameTrailers review again. Why didn't they just go ahead and summarise the entire story from beginning to end, seems like they got halfway there *rolls eyes*.

was this your first time watching them? they do it with every game

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
MisterAnderson said:
Using .cfg files or through the CCC/Nvidia control panel? I thought I tried forcing it through my CCC and I didn't notice any AA... I'll try again.
For ATI cards, you"ll need to rename the MassEffect.exe to UT3.exe, then you can force the AA in CCC.

Nvidia users need to use Nhancer.

hulot

Lifejumper said:

Thanks.
What a twist, ME2 has added an actual RPG convention with credits: you can buy upgrades and armor pieces that have different stats. Money is useful here.

mYm|17|

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Anybody with the GameStop armor/weapon post impressions?
Terminus armor is cool, but the shoulder part of the armor is weird looking.

I haven't tried out the weapon just yet as I don't have any ammo for it which sucks.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Grr I really cannot decide which platform to pick this up on.

I really want to continue my 360 character, but I also really want to play the PC version. Oh what should I doo?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
ChoklitReign said:
I was wondering how weapon proficiency works now that weapon skills are out.

It seems now that Shepard either "knows" a weapon type or doesn't. Research aboard the Normandy can grant you proficiency in more types though.

Ok not to beat a dead horse but Zaeed. Is he a playable just for the collectors edition? If not, last I checked I still didn't have access to him though I did have the other stuff. Was he not unlocking for people last night? He appeared in the cerberus terminal news, but couldn't download him.

Einbroch said:
Yes. Almost too much so.

Credits are extremely rare, and if you want all the upgrades you're going to need to do some serious scrounging.

Well that is an improvement in my opinion.

Thanks for the answer.

wRATH2x

Banned
StuBurns said:
I just watched the gametrailers review, holy fuck it looks awesome. I won't be playing it till around late May, but I hope you all enjoy it, you lucky little gits.
So fellow Linklater fan, did it spoil much?

Synless

So I can't get my armor from my CE because the bioware social site won't accept my account as the right one. It keeps telling me my info is wrong even though when I go to "forgot password" it mails the right email and I change my password only for it to tell me its still wrong. Anger is the only word....

Baker

Banned
Label said:

I really want to continue my 360 character, but I also really want to play the PC version. Oh what should I doo?
I still can't decide either so I bought both. I'm going to start on PC but if I can't get AA to work the first attempt, I'll play 360 first.

Castor Krieg said:
Shops in Poland already started selling the game:lol The drawback is that standard edition has only Polish VO (terrible, trust me). Need to wait till Friday then.
Ugh, this reminds me.. does anyone know if the German normal version for PC has an English version on the disc too? ME1 had it.

edit: Okay, apparently both the normal and collector's edition are released with both English and German text and audio. Nice.
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002OB3ZA0/pcgcmag-21

K.Jack said:
For ATI cards, you"ll need to rename the MassEffect.exe to UT3.exe, then you can force the AA in CCC.

Nvidia users need to use Nhancer.

Can you do that with the Steam version? I was afraid to do that with ME for fear of Steam thinking I was hacking or something.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Synless said:
So I can't get my armor from my CE because the bioware social site won't accept my account as the right one. It keeps telling me my info is wrong even though when I go to "forgot password" it mails the right email and I change my password only for it to tell me its still wrong. Anger is the only word....
Did you create a Social account? Go here -> Use Existing Account feature if you already have an EA account:

20100126-ej62fd57ge8ky3nx4r1tpa7g85.jpg

Make sure your Gamertag is tied to the Social before you redeem a code.

Ponn

Banned
GuardianE said:
Reply! I'd love it if you could spare it.

Congrats! PMed code, enjoy your Terminus Armor.

How awesome is this game? SO AWESOME! My EB only had one guy that was able to preorder the CE. Total crap since Amazon has had it on off for awhile and the EA store has it in abundance it seems. If EB suddenly gets a bunch of the CE sitting on the shelves its their own stupid fault for losing sales when the people that would have bought it didn't have that opportunity.

I was worried when I started hearing about the RPG elements being stripped but at least for me its not a big deal so far. My only nitpick is it seems to me they changed up the talking points and you can no longer be sure what the paragon responses are and what are the Renegade. I went through a whole dialog thinking for sure I was picking the paragon responses and at the end I got hit with a bunch of renegade points.

Ceebs

Label said:

Download one of the PC saves that matches how you played the first one?

To be honest, I am on my second playthough (one with and one without import data) and outside of the level and mineral bonuses for importing, it is not a game altering change to not import data. It's just a few select cut scenes being altered and cameos by characters from the first game that I doubt anyone would remember unless they played through the first game recently.

anddo0

This is the first and last time I buy an EA product at launch from Steam. I had no idea it would take this long to unlock. I got the digital deluxe, so the wait is even longer :( Never again.

Synless

Killthee said:
Did you create a Social account? Go here -> Use Existing Account feature if you already have an EA account:

20100126-ej62fd57ge8ky3nx4r1tpa7g85.jpg

Make sure your Gamertag is tied to the Social before you redeem a code.
Doesn't it get tied to the account when I had Dragon age? I got my dragon armor and everything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom