• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nemesis556 said:
It's just a refreshed. Miranda asked me about why I left Ashley behind on Virmire, as well as who I chose to become a new human councillor after I defeated Saren.

Cool. Nothing to worry then.

SlickVic said:
I thought that happened before ME1 but I could be wrong. Afterwards, Jacob said something like "let's talk about something more recent" so I thought the first q was something well in the past.

Yeah. I don't remember anything like that in ME1.

Basileus777 said:
It's based on your psychological profile, which is sole survivor. There is no wrong answer and it doesn't matter how you respond. He asked me how I felt about the men that died on Torfan because I chose "ruthless" in ME1.

Yes, my Shepard is sole survivor. Thanks.

MirageDwarf said:
I didn't remember anything about it and selected
"I refused to die"
. Jacob said that was right. Does answer to this question matter at all? Was there any main story mission for that in ME1? I skipped lots of side missions in ME1.

It's based on your psychological profile, which is sole survivor. There is no wrong answer and it doesn't matter how you respond. He asked me how I felt about the men that died on Torfan because I chose "ruthless" in ME1.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh man, the sniper rifle is GREAT in this game. So happy I chose Inflitrator.

Six hours in and have only recruited one member. Taking my sweet-ass time with this one.

Dennis

Banned
Mifune said:
Oh man, the sniper rifle is GREAT in this game. So happy I chose Inflitrator.

Six hours in and have only recruited one member. Taking my sweet-ass time with this one.
I am playing Infiltrator too, and I have too say I was having a tough time - often I get off a shot or two and then have to shift to pistol/smg because the enemy have closed. Obviously when you have pitched battle with cover and a long range shoot-out, I do much better.

Mifune

Mehmber
DennisK4 said:
I am playing Infiltrator too, and I have too say I was having a tough time - often I get off a shot or two and then have to shift to pistol/smg because the enemy have closed. Obviously when you have pitched battle with cover and a long range shoot-out, I do much better.

Well, I've only done the Mordin recruitment, and that one had a lot of wide open spaces to snipe without fear of guys running up on you, so maybe when I experience some closer quarters combat I'll regret my choice.

Game is so good.

This game is amazing, huge design improvement over the first, I don't find it as tedious.

I can't count the amount of times I DAT ASS'D at Miranda.

Cep

Banned
Sai said:
Joker is awesome. :lol

Just wanted to get that out there.

[EDIT] - I'm not the only one who started my first playthrough on Insanity difficulty, am I? Getting my ass kicked, but I'm loving the challenge.

No, I did as well.

Loving it, but I think I may wait 'till late this year for another playthrough. Insanity really wears you down.

blanky

man this game is awesome, the visuals and scenery is beautiful. BUT what the hell were they smoking with the thermal clips? Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i am always out of thermal clips and with only 24 shots of a pistol =/ I wish they allowed a bigger capacity in ammo. Also kind of confused what the point of different guns is in the same class, doesn't give you any stats to compare so it's mostly visual? Other than that this game is so much better, I love it!

Cep

Banned
blanky said:
man this game is awesome, the visuals and scenery is beautiful. BUT what the hell were they smoking with the thermal clips? Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i am always out of thermal clips and with only 24 shots of a pistol =/ I wish they allowed a bigger capacity in ammo. Also kind of confused what the point of different guns is in the same class, doesn't give you any stats to compare so it's mostly visual? Other than that this game is so much better, I love it!

Read the text, they have differences.

Also, you should use you SMG.

so pretty

me2-1.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone get to
Horizon
yet?

I'm wondering who I should bring with me on insanity, since I know this section is fairly difficult.

kuYuri

Is anyone else experiencing black bars around the subtitles sometimes? It's no big deal, but sometimes it distracts me. I'm guessing it's some type of bug.

It's times like this I think I have major mental problems. I'm so anal that I can't shake the fact that on my ME1 playthrough that I've been working on these past few days in preparation for ME2 (my goal was to create a paragon save file that completed all side-quests/did basically everything possible in one playthrough) that I apparently did every sidequest except for one which will likely be an important one. I completely overlooked the Cerberus quest line starting with the Admiral dude in the Council Tower area of the Citadel and now it's too late for me to do it (already stole Normandy from the Citadel). And I am willing to bet Cerberus/Shadow Broker is going to play a large role in ME2 (don't tell me though...don't want to be spoiled). Eh, whatever. The game will be great and I should just get over this stupid little thing. I have problems, lol.

/vent

Darkman M

This game runs great on PC this time around and shooting is sooo much better, im still just traveling around yet to really get started.

Edit: Anybody else playing with film grain off?

Cep

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Anyone get to
Horizon
yet?

I'm wondering who I should bring with me on insanity, since I know this section is fairly difficult.

Oh, GOD the nightmares return.

Which class are you?

Bring lots and lots of warp/incendiary Ammo/Incinerate.

I HATE this mission.

HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rage

Also, here is a general list of useless party members (for more or less all missions, Tali and Legion have specific uses though):

Tali
Jack
Grunt
Jacob
Samara
Legion

careksims

LOL! Love the part in
Illium where the Turian and Quarian are talking about dating. The conversation was getting interesting and I stood there listening until they noticed me and stopped. XD

Yeah totally playing with grain off. Like it that way.

Blackface

Banned
I went into ME2 thinking Project Zero aka Jack looked lame and cliche.

After having lots of dialogue with the character, and exploring her side missions. It is easily one of the most interesting characters I have ever encounter in a video game. She has the bitter cliche attitude, but her back story is great for sci fi, the voice acting is IMO the best in the game, and the writing for her is amazing.

Not to mention she is completely fucking over powered with a maxed out shockwave. Easily my favourite of all the crew.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Cep said:

Which class are you?

I HATE this mission.

HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rage

Also, here is a general list of useless party members (for more or less all missions, Tali and Legion have specific uses though):

Tali
Jack
Grunt
Jacob
Samara
Legion
Isn't that most of the party members.:lol
So about the citadel in ME2, i love how they revisited, one of my favorite scenes from the first game.
punching the reporter again was so satisfying
:lol and
the video game seller
:lol i think i noticed a hentai reference in one of his lines.:lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
careksims said:
LOL! Love the part in
Illium where the Turian and Quarian are talking about dating. The conversation was getting interesting and I stood there listening until they noticed me and stopped. XD

Yeah totally playing with grain off. Like it that way.

Listened to the
Bachelor party group in the Illium bar ?
that's also incredibly funny :p

Cep

Banned
Blackface said:
I went into ME2 thinking Project Zero aka Jack looked lame and cliche.

After having lots of dialogue with the character, and exploring her side missions. It is easily one of the most interesting characters I have ever encounter in a video game. She has the bitter cliche attitude, but her back story is great for sci fi, the voice acting is IMO the best in the game, and the writing for her is amazing.

Not to mention she is completely fucking over powered with a maxed out shockwave. Easily my favourite of all the crew.

Best V.A.: Nope
Surprising Development: Nope
Badass Shockwave?: Yes, but there are better squad members
Best Writing: HELL NOPE

Lafiel said:
Isn't that most of the party members.:lol
So about the citadel in ME2, i love how they revisited, one of my favorite scenes from the first game.
punching the reporter again was so satisfying
:lol and
the video game seller
:lol i think i noticed a hentai reference in one of his lines.:lol

Useful:

Mordin
Thane
Zaeed
Garrus
Miranda

You should notice a pattern, these dudes either have Sniper Rifles or are good at stripping defenses. In many cases, both.

where do you check for the cerberus network? downloadable content section? i put in the code today and it worked fine, but im not seeing anything from cerebrus like zaeed.

edit: when i load up the main menu it has the option new content available but immediately disappears. :/ i think somethings messed up.

stupei

MisterAnderson said:

The Cerberus quest in ME1 isn't that big a deal, honestly. The game is so good, I swear you won't even notice. Don't worry about it.

Unrelated: I had a hunch people were going to like Jack a lot more in game than the reaction to the video suggested. Not interested into getting into a debate over whether or not parts of it are cliche, but I do think we can at least agree that she plays better in context than the presentation from the trailer.

stupei said:
The Cerberus quest in ME1 isn't that big a deal, honestly. The game is so good, I swear you won't even notice. Don't worry about it.

Thanks for the reassurance.

On another note, please tell me that the inventory isn't such a pain to manage this time around?

Cep

Banned
stupei said:

Unrelated: I had a hunch people were going to like Jack a lot more in game than the reaction to the video suggested. Not interested into getting into a debate over whether or not parts of it are cliche, but I do think we can at least agree that she plays better in context than the presentation from the trailer.

Only idiots thought she would not.

She works pretty damn well. She follows all the paths that I expected her too, AND there were surprises (
Sounds like they wanted to make a human Krogan. A battlemaster at that
).

I am both bored and impressed.

That said, she is no marvel, and barely escapes sucking (Like Miranda, Jacob and Grunt)

MisterAnderson said:

On another note, please tell me that the inventory isn't such a pain to manage this time around?

What inventory?

Solo

Ugh, its going to be a killer few days until I can answer ME2's call again. Only 3 hours in and Im already addicted.

Skilotonn said:
I know, right? :D

I swear, I was so ridiculously hyped before the game came out, and it STILL managed to top whatever expectations I had from just the first hour.

I've four hours in now, and I did just what you did - spent about half or more of that time talking to people, reading and admiring the gorgeous world, art and architecture - wow man.

Yep! One of my favorite things to do in ME1 was just walk around and explore/admire the worlds. Looks like Ill be doing a ton of that in ME2 as well :D

Skilotonn said:
And I still can't believe how much better the graphics look in this game - incredible, seriously.

Indeed! I mean, its obviously still the same engine, but the number of overhauls and upgrades is rather staggering. There is a level of polish and fidelity that was sorely lacking in the first game here. Most impressive is that they've seemingly made pop-in GTFO.

Skilotonn said:
Little thing I always loved about saving in ME - the tons of cool pictures with the light flaring effect that go with the save files are back again! For some strange reason I thought that they wouldn't be back but there they are - awesome :)

The lens flare is strong with this one :lol

Zeliard said:
Tsk tsk at all of you who bedded the bigot.

That bigot was the best e-lay Ive ever had!

:lol

Zeliard said:
The Normandy Crash Site DLC mission has an interesting Ashley revelation.

That was Navigator Pressly, not Ashley though.

Probably one of the main complaints so far is that all the missions (at least, those that involve recruiting potential squad mates) have the same basic structure. It's getting kind of repetitive, but luckily the combat is good enough (this time) that it hasn't become a huge bother.

Blackface

Banned
Cep said:
Best V.A.: Nope
Surprising Development: Nope
Badass Shockwave?: Yes, but there are better squad members
Best Writing: HELL NOPE

Useful:

Mordin
Thane
Zaeed
Garrus
Miranda

You should notice a pattern, these dudes either have Sniper Rifles or are good at stripping defenses. In many cases, both.

1. There isn't any abilities in the game more powerful then Shockwave once everything is upgraded. This isn't my opinion, do the math(it terms of it's dmg). It also knocks down and flying large groups of enemies, and can be blocked by just about nothing in the game.

2. The VA is the best IMO, but obviously everyone will have different opinions. That being said, a number of the crews voice acting is hilariously terrible, while some is amazing. Including male Shepard which is some of the worst I have ever heard. The guy sounds like he is reading from a paper and always asking a question. I was hoping he somehow got better after all the jokes and criticism about it in the first game, he didn't. Female Shepard is solid as usual. Writing is once again subjective.

A Sentinel + maxing out Jack makes ME2 completely and utterly trivial regardless of difficulty after you get past the beginning hump.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Is it me or insane difficulty is still easy more? I first finished the game on normal, then restarted from scratch on insane and it sure doesn t feel that hard. Sure the challenge is thre, but still ... this isn t old school hardcore for sure! Used to get myt ass handed to me when I select those modes back in the day... this just seems like normal back in the day! Damm games have gotten soft!

stupei

MisterAnderson said:

No problem.

And yeah, Bioware don't appear to know how to streamline an inventory system so they fixed this by pretty much removing it entirely.

Cep said:
Only idiots thought she would not.

Well I can't seem to find the thread at the moment from when the trailer first appeared, but the reaction there was incredibly negative. Subject Zero and The New Shit were being treated as equally terrible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:

Which class are you?

I HATE this mission.

HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rage

Tali
Jack
Grunt
Jacob
Samara
Legion

Ugh, yeah, I figured as much. I'm Sentinel (maxed out tech armor, yay!), but I'm really worried about the midbosses and bosses. I still have like 8 points unassigned though. I feel like saving the points for later because other than overload, I can't see what other powers I would need.

I guess it's worth bringing Miranda and Mordin/Jacob for this mission?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dax01 said:
Probably one of the main complaints so far is that all the missions (at least, those that involve recruiting potential squad mates) have the same basic structure. It's getting kind of repetitive, but luckily the combat is good enough (this time) that it hasn't become a huge bother.
It's the same shit as dragon age, the side-quests so far, are incredibly simplistic, and don't have much depth to them.
Probably my only disappointment with the game so far, but i didn't expect much in that area anyway.

derFeef

I am on the fence, should I start palying ME2 in german or english. Since I heard the new German Shepard (he sounds like a lord of the rings dwarf) I thought of starting it in English.

Any insights here if the German voices got worse? I liked the German voice work in the first one.

WuselDusel said:
I am on the fence, should I start palying ME2 in german or english. Since I heard the new German Shepard (he sounds like a lord of the rings dwarf) I thought of starting it in English.

Any insights here if the German voices got worse? I liked the German voice work in the first one.

they're fine. obviously not outstanding like the english cast, but they most definitely work.

Cep

Banned
Blackface said:
1. There isn't any abilities in the game more powerful then Shockwave once everything is upgraded. This isn't my opinion, do the math(it terms of it's dmg). It also knocks down and flying large groups of enemies, and can be blocked by just about nothing in the game.

2. The VA is the best IMO, but obviously everyone will have different opinions. That being said, a number of the crews voice acting is hilariously terrible, while some is amazing. Including male Shepard which is some of the worst I have ever heard. The guy sounds like he is reading from a paper and always asking a question. I was hoping he somehow got better after all the jokes and criticism about it in the first game, he didn't. Female Shepard is solid as usual. Writing is once again subjective.

A Sentinel + maxing out Jack makes ME2 completely and utterly trivial regardless of difficulty after you get past the beginning hump.

Sentinel + Zaeed + Garrus makes everything trivial, and I am on insane.

Shockwave is good, but it does not become useful until you strip the defenses, and after those are down, just about everything is good. One thing that I forgot was warp ammo, THAT justifies Jack. So not useless, still better options (Remember I have only played on insane so...).

firehawk12 said:
Ugh, yeah, I figured as much. I'm Sentinel (maxed out tech armor, yay!), but I'm really worried about the midbosses and bosses. I still have like 8 points unassigned though. I feel like saving the points for later because other than overload, I can't see what other powers I would need.

I guess it's worth bringing Miranda and Mordin/Jacob for this mission?

I would suggest you choose between Garrus/Zaeed + Mordin/Miranda. Lots of armored enemies and they need to be taken down quick.

Dries

So I'm wondering.. how are the characters in this game? In Dragon Age I found every character to be really cool and they had great backrounds. How's this with ME2? Even better?

Erebus

Strider2K99 said:
Is anyone else experiencing black bars around the subtitles sometimes? It's no big deal, but sometimes it distracts me. I'm guessing it's some type of bug.
Yep, it has happened to me but only once so far. Probably a bug.

I hit 60 last night on the original, and I'm about two hours away from finishing my Insanity run.

Well prepared for this. The talk on the Bombcast today made me laugh because I was one of those people who was grinding my way through just to have finally hit 60 ready for the sequel. :lol I don't care if the rewards aren't great - it was just something I wanted to do.

painey

anyone miss the dragon age relationship style? Jack and Zaeed should get pissed off if you act Paragon so you can't have all members happy at once imo but thats not how it works.

Cep

Banned
Dries said:
So I'm wondering.. how are the characters in this game? In Dragon Age I found every character to be really cool and they had great backrounds. How's this with ME2? Even better?

Not better, but really, really good.

ME2 characters are more interesting (as a whole), but DA:O's are much better written, integrated and presented.

painey said:
anyone miss the dragon age relationship style? Jack and Zaeed should get pissed off if you act Paragon so you can't have all members happy at once imo but thats not how it works.

Yeah I miss it, that system had kinks, but it was good.

Male Shepard's facial expressions are so creepy. I like that for the first time ever in a BioWare RPG I've played, the "good" dialogue choices aren't all completely cheesy and make your supposed hero of the universe come across as a total pussy. Too bad Paragon choices lead to more of those creepy smiles, though...

Looking forward to my next playthrough as a female Renegade. Renegade just seems like the way to go given the circumstances of what's happened/happening.

Two mechanical things that stuck out to me in the first ten hours:

Whose brilliant idea was it to replace the perfectly functional and accurate cursor on the galaxy map with a friggin' tiny fuel guzzling ship with physics? Gas? Really? Did someone really think this was a good idea? Such a pointless change that offers zero extra fun and a few annoyances. Scanning is pretty bad and tedious (as well as poorly explained, like every other mini game), but at least it's completely optional. Traveling, unfortunately, is not optional.

I currently love/hate the rock/paper/scissors introduced in this game with gun types/abilities and armors/shields/barriers. I like that I'm actually having to switch weapons based on the enemies I'm fighting. I hate that my Vanguard is forced to use a pistol most of the time because SMGs are awful and close combat is suicide/impossible in most encounters. I like that tech abilities don't completely outshine biotics like they did in the first game. I hate that abilities can be completely useless until you knock out an enemy's shield or armor.

painey said:

I should have totally gotten a "Miranda disapproves -10" when I agreed to let Jack read the Cerberus files on her. She definitely reacted that way. Speaking of which, I wonder what my reaction would have been if I hadn't known Jack was a woman. I somehow didn't make the connection that Garrus was Archangel even though I knew Garrus was in the game and the gangs mentioned that Archangel was a Turian. I literally thought, "Oh, I guess I get two Turians. Good, since I don't like Garrus." Then when he took his helmet off I was like, "Oh shit, it's Garrus! And he's bad ass now!"

derFeef

Cep said:
ME2 characters are more interesting (as a whole), but DA:O's are much better written, integrated and presented.

Really? It was nice in the beginning, but they came predictable when and what they are going to say. Like: Do the good thing - moaning from Morrigan in 3, 2, 1....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom