• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainigma

Neo Member
I apologise if this has already been asked. I never played Mass Effect, and I get the impression everything is much better in Mass Effect 2, my question is do I have needed to play the first game to get the most out of the sequel?

Darklord

Banned
Ainigma said:
I apologise if this has already been asked. I never played Mass Effect, and I get the impression everything is much better in Mass Effect 2, my question is do I have needed to play the first game to get the most out of the sequel?

It's not an absolute must but you'll definitely get more out of it. It links the two games together pretty well.

Cep

Banned
WuselDusel said:
Really? It was nice in the beginning, but they came predictable when and what they are going to say. Like: Do the good thing - moaning from Morrigan in 3, 2, 1....

Yeah they can, but most people are pretty damn predictable.

I completed DA:O with all companions at 90+ approval with little gift using.

The secret is to have max persuade, High cunning and good approval(gained from talking to them as much as possible (tell them what they want to hear, they are like real people in that way)).

This way, when they object, you can easily persuade them from a -14 to a -1(they also object less often). Only way to not compromise yourself too much and keep them all happy.

Darklord said:
It's not an absolute must but you'll definitely get more out of it. It links the two games together pretty well.

this. I am getting my brother ME2 for his birthday, he has never played ME1 but he really seemed to like what he saw when I was playing it. I hope he likes it. He only really plays MW2 anymore.

painey

WuselDusel said:
Really? It was nice in the beginning, but they came predictable when and what they are going to say. Like: Do the good thing - moaning from Morrigan in 3, 2, 1....

I think its easier to get attached to ME2's characters because they look so much better than the DA:O characters who have an uncanny valley look about them.

Hmm, I was wondering for a while why everyone else on the 360 seemed to get kicked off for an update but I didn't. Then I realized my 360 freezing during a load screen on the ship may have had something to do with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:
I would suggest you choose between Garrus/Zaeed + Mordin/Miranda. Lots of armored enemies and they need to be taken down quick.

What does Zaeed have? I'm stuck waiting for the DLC to come out later this week.

And is there a decent way to spec out the characters? Max out Garrus' overload and Miranda's warp or Mordin's incinerate?

Ainigma

Neo Member
Everything about Mass Effect 2 appers to have been improved, and i'm not sure that i've got an extra 25 or so hours to play through the first game... I undertand I can catch up on the story online, but as long as it doesn't make the sequel harder or more confusing that was my concern.

Quick question: Will I be able to use the same ME1 completion file for different ME2 playthroughs? Or does it only allow 1 save file to be transferred once?

Spookie

The conversations with Conrad never grows old, nice to have him back:

conradME2.jpg

this EA.com stuff is hurting my brain. i can't link my bioware profile to my xbl account. guess i'm gonna have to pay for cerberus, used the code earlier and it went in fine but i can't find it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SPACECADET said:
this EA.com stuff is hurting my brain. i can't link my bioware profile to my xbl account. guess i'm gonna have to pay for cerberus, used the code earlier and it went in fine but i can't find it.

Contact them to set it manually. I had to do this back when Bad Company came out.

MisterAnderson said:
Quick question: Will I be able to use the same ME1 completion file for different ME2 playthroughs? Or does it only allow 1 save file to be transferred once?

Yeah, you can. It's how I played around with a few of the classes anyway.

Cep

Banned
firehawk12 said:
What does Zaeed have? I'm stuck waiting for the DLC to come out later this week.

And is there a decent way to spec out the characters? Max out Garrus' overload and Miranda's warp or Mordin's incinerate?

Max out Area Incineration and Salerian Scientist at the least for Mordin.

As for the rest, it depends on how you play your Sentinel (at the least, 3 warp(plan to further experiment with Jack/Warp Ammo to see if it is needed), 3 overload and max Assault Armor).

Also depends on whether you aim to diversify, or overwhelm.

I used AoE concussion and Area overload on Garrus. Combined with the incisor sniper rifle, and a good amount of turian rebel, he is a beast.

Also: Zaeed (Sniper/AR, Disruptive Ammo, Incendiary grenade, Concussion shot)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:
Max out Area Incineration and Salerian Scientist at the least for Mordin.

As for the rest, it depends on how you play your Sentinel (at the least, 3 warp, 3 overload and max Assault Armor).

Also depends on whether you aim to diversify, or overwhelm.

I used AoE concussion and Area overload on Garrus. Combined with the incisor sniper rifle, and a good amount of turian rebel, he is a beast.

Also: Zaeed (Sniper/AR, Disruptive Ammo, Incendiary grenade, Concussion shot)

Ah man, I wonder if I'm fucked then, since I spread out my points with Mordin and Garrus. I almost wonder if this is even doable with level 11 characters. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Am I the only one who likes to play hero, serious Shepard as the Female, and nasty, silly Shepard as the Male?

The delivery of lines works best that way, in my opinion. Hale does a better 'heroic' good Shepard with serious lines, while Meer is fantastic in the hillariously arrogant, but also kind of stupid, male Shepard.

Cep

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Ah man, I wonder if I'm fucked then, since I spread out my points with Mordin and Garrus. I almost wonder if this is even doable with level 11 characters. :lol

Yes it is, I believe I did it at about that level.

Good thing to remember is that not all skills are equally useful and that since there is a universal cool down, you do not need a lot (hence why none of my characters went far with Cryo)).

Remember, defense strippers make for the best powers on insane.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I love the fact that there are other places that are as big and expansive as the Citadel was in the first game. I think I might be liking this game more than Final Fantasy XIII.

Truant

I completely disagree with whoever said the characters in DA:O were better written. I didn't even care about a single one of them during my first playthrough, but the last mission of ME2 had me agonizing over some decisions.

OMG Aero

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is there a list of all the choices in ME1 that effect ME2? I'm finishing my Insanity run of the first game in preparation for the sequel this Friday and I'm already at the point where I can head to Virmire and start the end game, but I want to make sure I get all the right sidequests done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:
Yes it is, I believe I did it at about that level.

Good thing to remember is that not all skills are equally useful and that since there is a universal cool down, you do not need a lot (hence why none of my characters went far with Cryo)).

Remember, defense strippers make for the best powers on insane.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that now. Well, I'm going to try and do it and if I can't, I'll just go to casual and wait for new game plus.

Oh - any tips for
the last boss where you have to defend the canons or whatever
?

And on an unrelated note, did you beat the
Thresher Maw?
. It'll be a while since I'll get there, but I figure I should be properly set up for that one.

(Bad thing about min-maxing I guess, you have to read up on the game before hand).

Cep

Banned
Truant said:
I completely disagree with whoever said the characters in DA:O were better written. I didn't even care about a single one of them during my first playthrough, but the last mission of ME2 had me agonizing over some decisions.

As contained units, DA:O's were definitely better.

ME2 uses them a lot better in the game. They have true relevance to the plot and their personal side-quests are leagues better.

Also remember that ME2's are the driving force for the plot.

In dragon age, you can get rid of/don't recruit, everyone except Allister.

Solo

Another little touch I like is the "mission completed" screen. Love the illusive man sitting there, like a boss, smoking with his back turned to you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bloodlines still has the best written and voiced characters ever. Torment next. I wonder how ME2 will go down...

Question...

Can male shepherd get off with a male character this time around?

I found it slightly distasteful that you could be a lesbian last time... but not have a gay male character.

Kind've reduced that whole idea down to puerile titillation for adolescents rather than a meaningful character choice.

Not a huge deal... just something i wish they had considered.

Cep

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that now. Well, I'm going to try and do it and if I can't, I'll just go to casual and wait for new game plus.

Oh - any tips for
the last boss where you have to defend the canons or whatever
?

And on an unrelated note, did you beat the
Thresher Maw?
. It'll be a while since I'll get there, but I figure I should be properly set up for that one.

(Bad thing about min-maxing I guess, you have to read up on the game before hand).

I am attempting to min-max DURING play, and it is so much fun.

The flying thing? He is pretty easy.

Spread the other squad-mates, make them use anti-armor and long ranged weapons, they will be ignored.

Use the crates(the left block) to hide and spam warp and Assault armor. Just keep moving circularly and have it follow you, you should basically have permanent cover.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does it bother anyone that the DLC armor helmets cannot be taken off, it totally ruins the moments when there are some dialog and when you are drinking in a bar.

EatChildren

neojubei said:
Does it bother anyone that the DLC armor helmets cannot be taken off, it totally ruins the moments when there are some dialog and when you are drinking in a bar.

Its why im not going to use them except on replays or obvious combat-only missions. My Shepard has a face for a reason.

Cep

Banned
EatChildren said:
Its why im not going to use them except on replays or obvious combat-only missions. My Shepard has a face for a reason.

I am not even bothering with them. Really big disappointment.

selig

Banned
NinjaFusion said:

Question...

I found it slightly distasteful that you could be a lesbian last time... but not have a gay male character.

Kind've reduced that whole idea down to puerile titillation for adolescents rather than a meaningful character choice.

Not a huge deal... just something i wish they had considered.

Liara´s race isnt considered female, so its neither lesbian nor gay.

NinjaFusion said:

No idea, but Jade Empire and Dragon Age both allow male homosexual relations.

EatChildren said:

let's talk again after you bought the
Death Mask

I'd NEVER take that thing off.

EatChildren

They should have added in hats. Like, a big motherfucking cowboy hat.

Solo

neojubei said:

They all look like crap anyways, and I dont need the stat boosts. Customizing your baseline Shepard's armor look >>> any of the DLC armor. My Shepard is rocking a maroon-ish tinted suit, and is basically kind of a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom