• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
hipgnosis said:
I really need to get into this series, haven't even tried ME1 yet.
Same!

I'll ask again since my question got lost in the last page....

How much does playing ME1 add to the experience of ME2? Is the story/world any less comprehensible/interesting if I've never played the first one?

cresto

I'm trying to do full renegade but god damn Sheppard can be a true ass hole! It's tough and I get pissy when I see paragon show up :eek:

Ugh so I just realized I forgot about completing the Cerberus sidequest on my ME1 playthrough. I just stole the Normandy from the Citadel so there's no returning to continue the "Missing Marines" quest. Does this sidequest have any bearing on ME2? I'm trying to do everything possible in ME1 to affect my ME2 game, but if anyone can confirm that this doesn't transfer over, then I won't be anal and reload an older save.

selig

Banned
okay, last question before ill get the game: Do you meet Garrus and Tali very early in the game? I´d like to play the first playthrough with my good ol friends, but if im only meeting them after hours of playing with, no idea, mirana and thane, i dont want to switch, at least not on my first run.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MisterAnderson said:
Ugh so I just realized I forgot about completing the Cerberus sidequest on my ME1 playthrough. I just stole the Normandy from the Citadel so there's no returning to continue the "Missing Marines" quest. Does this sidequest have any bearing on ME2? I'm trying to do everything possible in ME1 to affect my ME2 game, but if anyone can confirm that this doesn't transfer over, then I won't be anal and reload an older save.
I'm not certain, but it's pretty likely that it'll come back in some way. I mean, I just had Helena Blake show up at Omega, and I vaguely remember the ambush she set on me after I finished her quest in ME1.

x3sphere

mrnorush said:
BTW How did everyone take screenshot? Feels like Mass Effect 2 doesn't have a way to set "Print Screenshot" button?

I use Fraps.

Socreges said:
I've never played Mass Effect. I'm a bit short on time, though, and would like to go straight to Mass Effect 2. Would my experience with the sequel be marred much as a result?

Not essential, but there are a lot of subtle references to the original. Also considering quite a few characters from the original make a reappearance in ME2 you'll be missing out on a lot of backstory.

I would highly recommend playing ME1 first to get the full experience.

Just got done with a 7 hr play session, game is great so far. Bravo.

EDIT - are the terminus codes busted? never got it in my game. Blood Dragon armor and cerebus network had no issues.

Einbroch

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Anyone do the crate mission yet? How can I protect them.. im on insanity :(
I JUST did this mission.

Incredibly difficult. Took me about 50 minutes.

My stategy:

1) Pull the one that walks directly away from you. Don't pull the one who walks to the right.
2) Use everything you possibly can to kill it as fast as possible. Heavy Weapons, abilities, etc. The goal here is to kill it before the others have a chance to destroy many crates.
3) Afterwards, run to your left and up on the ramp to the octagonal platform. Pull and kill the one to the left.
4) By this time, the other one will start marching towards you. If you have a Drone, use it and book it to a rock formation. Once you get to this point, kill it by kiting it around the rocks and getting in potshots.

Took forever, but I felt so satisfied afterwards.

Lyphen said:
I'm not certain, but it's pretty likely that it'll come back in some way. I mean, I just had Helena Blake show up at Omega, and I vaguely remember the ambush she set on me after I finished her quest in ME1.

Well shit. I just realized I'm completely screwed because I definitely don't have a save two planets ago, and there's no way for me to complete this mission quest because it requires at least two Citadel visits. This does not bode well for my OCD.

Sean P.

corrosivefrost said:
Joker is proably the best written and voiced character in the series.

For anyone who has a game at or near the end...

Joker talking about EDI towards the end of the game, probably about 75% of the way through the game:

The line where you're controling him and he gives EDI full control of the ship... I wanted to write it down, but I was laughing too hard.

If anyone noted that and can let me know what it was, I'd be appreciative... it was something about "on your knees calculating pi all day because joker fucked up and plugged in our overlord"

Spoiler video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7aU0sLAcs8

But oh god it's so funny, I honestly laughed, first time a game has made me do that

This game continues to blow me away. The Archangel recruiting mission was awesome.
After someone mentioned he was a Turian, I suspected it might be Garrus, but it was awesome to see him again. It's a shame his face got all messed up, though.

I'm really enjoying the non-combat characters on the Normandy a lot more in this game than in the first one.

Truant

KuwabaraTheMan said:
This game continues to blow me away. The Archangel recruiting mission was awesome.
After someone mentioned he was a Turian, I suspected it might be Garrus, but it was awesome to see him again. It's a shame his face got all messed up, though.

I'm really enjoying the non-combat characters on the Normandy a lot more in this game than in the first one.

Spoilerquote

http://forkdrill.ytmnd.com/

Swag

Why is Kelly being such a tease :lol, can anyone say when the sex scene happens? Do I have to initiate it or is it ME1 style. They'll just show up in my room?

Edit: Dennis are you playing on PC?

Super Edit: Dumb Question :lol, What are your PC specs Dennis

Nemesis_

Wow. I went to Sirta and you can see Rebekah choosing out boosters for her child (the one I convinced her to get screened in the original game).

Love the little details like that.

EDIT: "Maybe we should ask people on the street what they think"

:lol :lol :lol

Love it.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
If you're playing on Veteran or below, just mix it up and take characters that might have something interesting to say where you are going. It gets a little different on higher difficulties because some NPCs aren't very useful, mostly because biotics are pretty worthless.

Say what?

*Ponders for a moment*

Hmm, I just realized that I only ever use warp on insane.

Fucking eye opener.

Sean P.

chandoog said:
Can someone with a PC version do me a massive favor ?

screen cap of Joker
after Edi tells him she loves watching humans on their knee's, his expression is PRICELESS

Add this also.

Q0Ssfl.png

Haha. Hi-res.
http://i.imgur.com/Q0Ssf.png

Cep said:
Say what?

*Ponders for a moment*

Hmm, I just realized that I only ever use warp on insane.

Fucking eye opener.

Warp is still great, but since other biotics don't work on enemies with shields or armor, they aren't very useful. By the time you get the shields/armor down, they are almost dead anyway, and it's better just to shoot them.

Ironborn

Banned
just saw the gamestop trailer for the blackstorm singularity gun
god damn it, i need this weapon :lol
please, could someone spare a code? i'll give you a month of live gold in exchange :D
fuckin gamestop preorders, we don't even have them over here...power to the players my ass

SlickVic

Damn I suck at this game. Just finished up the Arch Angel mission (first one after finishing the Prologue) and
died a ton at the hangar, just was hard getting to that door valve without getting molested by everyone in that room and the others who kept pouring in
. I've put some skill points towards health upgrades but I guess I'm not staying in cover as much as I should. I remember ME1 got easier as I leveled up, hopefully the case here as well.

Also, anyone else getting some lengthy loads on the PC? The alleged "quick load" option takes me a good 20-25 seconds to actually load (which is in stark contrast to quick save which saves without any pauses whatsoever). Load times after deaths seem similar as well. Everything else is running smoothly so far so not sure if it's just me.

Dennis

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Why is Kelly being such a tease :lol, can anyone say when the sex scene happens? Do I have to initiate it or is it ME1 style. They'll just show up in my room?

Edit: Dennis are you playing on PC?

Super Edit: Dumb Question :lol, What are your PC specs Dennis
Quadcore 2.83 GHz
ATI 4870x2

Screenshots with 16xAA forced through CCC. Get about 30 fps with 16xAA and about 60 fps with 8xAA

I love the "clean" look of ME2, none of that fucking next gen "brown and gritty" filter.

Sean P.

SlickVic said:
Damn I suck at this game. Just finished up the Arch Angel mission (first one after finishing the Prologue) and
died a ton at the hangar, just was hard getting to that door valve without getting molested by everyone in that room and the others who kept pouring in
. I've put some skill points towards health upgrades but I guess I'm not staying in cover as much as I should. I remember ME1 got easier as I leveled up, hopefully the case here as well.

Also, anyone else getting some lengthy loads on the PC? The alleged "quick load" option takes me a good 20-25 seconds to actually load (which is in stark contrast to quick save which saves without any pauses whatsoever). Load times after deaths seem similar as well. Everything else is running smoothly so far so not sure if it's just me.

Load times are same or worse for me, thought it was just me since nobody posts about it, but ya, they are horribly long.

Ironborn said:
just saw the gamestop trailer for the blackstorm singularity gun
god damn it, i need this weapon :lol
please, could someone spare a code? i'll give you a month of live gold in exchange :D
fuckin gamestop preorders, we don't even have them over here...power to the players my ass

Code sent, enjoy!

SlickVic said:

Yeah, that one gave me a heap of trouble. I just kept dying in that same segment, mostly
from those stupid varren beasts getting in too close and killing me
. It's definitely the hardest segment I've played through in my first five hours or so.

Gribbix

Jamesfrom818 said:
The fuck? An update just booted me from the game.
Same here. What a terrible way to handle updates. I just spent 20 minutes mining unexplored planets only to have all my gathered resources wiped away because of a forced update that doesn't allow you to save before it forces a restart.

SlickVic

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, that one gave me a heap of trouble. I just kept dying in that same segment, mostly
from those stupid varren beasts getting in too close and killing me
. It's definitely the hardest segment I've played through in my first five hours or so.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've noticed if I can keep my distance with enemies, I'm pretty good at staying alive but if someone gets near me, those big veins of imminent death come up in a hurry. Still, having a blast so far.

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn, I forgot about that Gamestop weapon. Don't care as much about the armor...but that weapon looks awesome.

Too bad I wouldn't have gotten it anyways since I went with the Steam version. =\

I hope they bring it out as DLC or something.

Cep

Banned
SlickVic said:
Glad I'm not the only one. I've noticed if I can keep my distance with enemies, I'm pretty good at staying alive but if someone gets near me, those big veins of imminent death come up in a hurry. Still, having a blast so far.

Really? Well y'all got some nasty surprises waiting.

Cep

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Quadcore 2.83 GHz
ATI 4870x2

Screenshots with 16xAA forced through CCC. Get about 30 fps with 16xAA and about 60 fps with 8xAA

I love the "clean" look of ME2, none of that fucking next gen "brown and gritty" filter.

Me too.

Much better than the Original's sterile look.

SlickVic

Cep said:
Really? Well y'all got some nasty surprises waiting.

Yeah, just glad ME is one of those games that lets you switch difficulties on the fly. I'll try to get through on Normal but if I start sucking too much, nice to know there's an Easy mode.

Sai

Joker is awesome. :lol

Just wanted to get that out there.

[EDIT] - I'm not the only one who started my first playthrough on Insanity difficulty, am I? Getting my ass kicked, but I'm loving the challenge.

Feindflug

The game sounds and looks amazing, my evil Renegade Shepard is waiting...can't wait till friday - the only bad thing is that I can't find the CE. :(

Damn. Just when I thought I'm ready, fucker didn't recognize my ME1 save. Had to re-do last fight in ME1. Luckily I had one save just before that, toned down difficulty to casual and got it done fast. Re-play reminded me horrible texture pop-in in ME1.

Turns out I've saved Wrex in ME1. Kaiden is KIA on Virmire. Also, recommended Anderson as a human spectre.

Stopped playing just before meeting Illusive man. On my way to that meeting, Jacob asked me about some thrasher maw attack, probably from ME1. I didn't remember anything about it and selected
"I refused to die"
. Jacob said that was right. Does answer to this question matter at all? Was there any main story mission for that in ME1? I skipped lots of side missions in ME1.

Intro is fucking cool. Hull breach area was nice surprise.

Truant

I wish they did a sorta cheesy horror / Cape Fear type of thing were you're stalked by someone through the entire game, and it turns out it was the person you left on Virmire out for revenge.

Nemesis_

MirageDwarf said:
Damn. Just when I thought I'm ready, fucker didn't recognize my ME1 save. Had to re-do last fight in ME1. Luckily I had one save just before that, toned down difficulty to casual and got it done fast. Re-play reminded me horrible texture pop-in in ME1.

Turns out I've saved Wrex in ME1. Kaiden is KIA on Virmire. Also, recommended Anderson as a human spectre.

Stopped playing just before meeting Illusive man. On my way to that meeting, Jacob asked me about some thrasher maw attack, probably from ME1. I didn't remember anything about it and selected
"I refused to die"
. Jacob said that was right. Does answer to this question matter at all? Was there any main story mission for that in ME1? I skipped lots of side missions in ME1.

It's just a refreshed. Miranda asked me about why I left Ashley behind on Virmire, as well as who I chose to become a new human councillor after I defeated Saren.

firehawk12 said:
Ugh, you stupid MS jackasses. Don't kick me out of the fucking game in the middle of it just to patch it. Chriiist.

SPACECADET said:
anyone else have an error saying their storage device was disconnected and had to restart to fix it only to find an update waiting?

Jamesfrom818 said:
The fuck? An update just booted me from the game.

goldenpp72 said:
I was playing and I got disconnected from live and forced to update, thanks for making me lose progress bioware!

looks like 360 users got hit by it. luckily i was right at a point where it had just auto-saved. otherwise i woulda been pissed.

SlickVic

MirageDwarf said:
"I refused to die"

I thought that happened before ME1 but I could be wrong. Afterwards, Jacob said something like "let's talk about something more recent" so I thought the first q was something well in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom