• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't expect me to survive.

Entire human colonies on many worlds are vanishing. I must assemble the galaxy's deadliest team to save mankind against impossible odds.

They call it a suicide mission. I'LL PROVE THEM WRONG.

It's about time I save our galaxy.

2qjalxc.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the Mass Effect 1 collectathon sidequests (UNC quests: Data disks, Signs of Battle, Turian Insignias, Valuable Minerals, etc.) carry over anything into ME2 or should I skip them? I'm not really in the mood to scour every damn system for insignias and rare minerals.

ezekial45

Banned
It's a little annoying that the only way to switch armor is through the private quarters and other specified locations. I miss being able to switch out stuff on the fly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wasn't too keen on
Jacob's
loyalty mission. Was kind of melodramatic. I can only take one guy screaming
I NEED ANSWERS so many times.

Zzoram said:
It really is amazing, because ME1 looks worse and performs worse on the same hardware. I have no idea how Bioware did it, but I'm assuming EA's support helped. ME2 has way better lighting and shadows than ME1.

I don't know if they've integrated any of the newer UE3 QA builds, but stock Unreal has gotten way, way better since ME1 on the lighting/performance front, so it's possible that helped. But they may have forked from stock Unreal before ME1 and never merged again.

IdleRover

MisterAnderson said:
Can anyone tell me if the Mass Effect 1 collectathon sidequests (UNC quests: Data disks, Signs of Battle, Turian Insignias, Valuable Minerals, etc.) carry over anything into ME2 or should I skip them? I'm not really in the mood to scour every damn system for insignias and rare minerals.

On that note, can anyone tell if the side quests (not on the main planets) are better in ME 2? I found those quests to be the dullest part of ME. Recycled environements for all of them.

I always try to do as many side quests as possible in a Bioware game. It's my little RPG OCD

They didn't really need to have the
Illusive Man
constantly smoking a cigarette. It does nothing for the character.

:lol Love how it goes through his bottom lip and never actually into his mouth.

I'm also loving this game though. I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow with such little sleep.

McNei1y

Tryph said:
On that note, can anyone tell if the side quests (not on the main planets) are better in ME 2? I found those quests to be the dullest part of ME. Recycled environements for all of them.

I always try to do as many side quests as possible in a Bioware game. It's my little RPG OCD

Yes they are. I wont ruin anything but so far you don't see any repetitive architecture. The side missions seem to be levels of their own. You land and boom, new layout of an area. Think Eden Prime from ME1. (Scale, Location, etc etc)

Swag

Shepherd - "Hey I'm gonna dance next to you, if you want you can pretend that we're dancing with each other"

Waeru - "I'd LIKE THAT"

Such an awkward scene :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Linkzg said:
lol it apparently has something to do with dual cores and there is a fix already. I wish I read that FIVE HOURS AGO

What's the fix? I haven't really had much of an issue (load times have been maybe 15-20 seconds at the worst), but then again, I'm running ME2 off my SSD.

Dark Octave said:
Illusive Man

If you think about it awhile, the Illusive Man and the Smoking Man from The X-Files have a lot in common...

IdleRover

McNei1y said:
Yes they are. I wont ruin anything but so far you don't see any repetitive architecture. The side missions seem to be levels of their own. You land and boom, new layout of an area. Think Eden Prime from ME1. (Scale, Location, etc etc)

Excellent, guess it's time to pick up a copy. Thanks.

notworksafe

Just got a few missions in but I'm already loving it much more then the first. The shooting is much improved and the game is just gorgeous.

That being said, is there a way to cap the framerate on this one like with the first Mass Effect? I've been playing it on my laptop and sometimes the framerate just goes all over the place.

nataku

Finally got the game working, no idea what I did... it just started running after retrying over and over.

I'm sad to see they haven't fixed the pouting lip problem with female Shepards.

Alphahawk

So I played some Mass Effect 1 but gave up pretty quickly at how frustrating the combat was. My question is: Will I understand WTF going on in Mass Effect 2 if I don't have a save file from ME1. Is the story self contained enough for it to make sense? Will Wrex even be there?

mYm|17|

Alphahawk said:
So I played some Mass Effect 1 but gave up pretty quickly at how frustrating the combat was. My question is: Will I understand WTF going on in Mass Effect 2 if I don't have a save file from ME1. Is the story self contained enough for it to make sense? Will Wrex even be there?

Just wikipedia it

Zeliard said:
The Normandy Crash Site DLC mission has an interesting Ashley revelation.

huh? where?
only thing I saw other than the random flashbacks (none that included ashley) was a datapad by that one older guy that would be on the bridge in ME1...forgot his name

Hawk269

So far I am really liking it..but like anything, there are some things that are odd or I would like to have been better...some of these are petty, but why not bring them up?

1. The text boxes that pop up on the right bottom half of the screen disapear to fast. At times, there are like 5 or 6 of them and the get changed or disapear too fast to actually read them. Like some of the ones that are tied to achievements, they usually pop up in batches of 4 or so, but the scroll so fast, you really dont have time to read them.

2. Same goes for the text intro portion, it disappears way too fast to read it.

3. Had some odd stuff with some of the squad mates "transporting" from one area to another. Had Jacob shotting enemies from an area that was not accessable and then he transported to where miranda was.

4. Just getting use to the Medi-jel..was use to hitting Y, now it is tied into the power wheel.

5. Some of the backround music is set too loud when trying to hear some of the dialog. At times, it makes me want to have subtitles on. I am going to mess with audio settings to see if turning them down a notch or 2 would do something.

Other than that..and those are not major issues, but some stuff I would like to see them fix a bit...maybe for #1, have you hit "A" for the next one or increase the time by a 3-5 seconds.

Lastly, just trying to get use the way the game is set up...just got done in the last 3 weeks finishing ME1 twice, so going directly (I mean, just beat second playthrough of ME1 at 1am).

Zzoram

There is a mistake in one of the Codex pages. There is an open bracket ( but no closing bracket. I forget exactly where it was, but I believe it was under the Drone entry or something like that.

x3sphere

I finished it today. Amazing experience from start to finish. One of the few games that have lived up to their hype. Took me 22 hours, that's with all the missions completed.

Now time to complete all the side assignments. :D

Anyways...so Who's been everyone's team of choice? or are people mixing it up as much as possible?

For Me...I've mostly been loading out with Kanye West and Mordin almost everytime.

x3sphere

Kabuki Waq said:
thanks man.

Anyone know what AA settings to use with ATI and still keep the game close to 60 fps? i have a 5870. i7920

Forcing MSAA or SSAA does not seem to work with this game on 5xxx series cards, at least with Catalyst 9.12.. and yes I've tried renaming the executable file. No go. Guess you'll have to wait on ATI for a fix.

stupei

Y2Kev said:
Wasn't too keen on
Jacob's
loyalty mission. Was kind of melodramatic. I can only take one guy screaming
I NEED ANSWERS so many times.

I actually really liked that one. Wasn't any screaming for me, though. It was actually surprisingly underplayed over all. Tons of brooding, but that's it.

Truant

Depends on the mission, since the abilities matter a lot more this time around.

I also try to pick based on story points, like say if you're going to a Geth related place, I pick Tali.

Van Owen

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
What's the fix? I haven't really had much of an issue (load times have been maybe 15-20 seconds at the worst), but then again, I'm running ME2 off my SSD.
Yes, where is this fix?

Some of the loads seem very long to me. Especially when switching decks. I'd rather have the ME1 elevators. :lol

If you're playing on Veteran or below, just mix it up and take characters that might have something interesting to say where you are going. It gets a little different on higher difficulties because some NPCs aren't very useful, mostly because biotics are pretty worthless.

Swag

Truant said:
Depends on the mission, since the abilities matter a lot more this time around.

I also try to pick based on story points, like say if you're going to a Geth related place, I pick Tali.

Their Geth in this game? Shit haven't met any yet and I'm 14 hours in :lol

Nvm: Just went to get
Tali
and first thing they say is Geth activitiy

Dark Octave said:
Illusive Man

I'm also loving this game though. I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow with such little sleep.

Yeah there is quite a few odd clipping issues in the game from what I've seen. It's a bit of a nitpick of it's otherwise stellar presentation. It doesn't bother me a great deal but some of it is so blatantly in plain sight such as the cigarette example or another where someone is sitting on thin air 15 cm above where they are supposed to be sitting. You'd think they'd just pick another camera angle if it was proving to be an issue.

Socreges

Banned
I've never played Mass Effect. I'm a bit short on time, though, and would like to go straight to Mass Effect 2. Would my experience with the sequel be marred much as a result?

olbareun

OMG the collector's edition armor looks so sick :p

4308070253_674fff36d3_o.jpg

BTW How did everyone take screenshot? Feels like Mass Effect 2 doesn't have a way to set "Print Screenshot" button?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone with a PC version do me a massive favor ?

screen cap of Joker
after Edi tells him she loves watching humans on their knee's, his expression is PRICELESS

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:
I AM PLAYING AND IT IS GLORIOUS
you're a bad person and you should feel good about it because you're playing mass effect 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom