• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Udina's voice actor is the Normandy's cook lol. I could hear it right away and it took away from the character's originality and charm... lame.

Is it just me or is the scanner upgrade still incredibly slow? Can we get further upgrades to it?

Mudo

I'm VERY conflicted now on whether to get the PC Or 360 version. Here are my concerns:

-I don't want to start with a level/skill point bonus, but carrying over my decisions would be cool, except 1 decision I made I would like to have done differently....I know this isn't an either/or situation though.

-If the PC interface is as suck as I'm hearing, is it just worth it to get the 360 version?

-If I did that, should I then get ME1 first and play through on that, and THEN get ME2 on 360. maybe only get level 49 so the bonus doesn't apply and I can just get the decisions to carry over.

How bad is performance on the 360 if I install the games (both 1 and 2)? I'm very, very tempted to go pick up the console versions of this after work and just forget the whole PC thing.....thoughts or advice?

pahamrick

Quick question about Purgatory

Are there any upgrades or such in the room where you fight the Warden? I didn't realize it would automatically go to cut scene soon as you beat him, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

notworksafe

dolgrimm said:
i hope tali is going to look like this.:D

Ha, makes me think of this pic:

zxo7dd.jpg

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I couldn't bring myself to pick Udina even though my import was Renegade. The problem is, Udina is just impossible to like. I wonder how different things would be if he was a counsellor. Did anyone on GAF pick him?

He's the default Council leader if you don't import and just start a new game.

When you meet up with Anderson at the Citadel, Udina shows up and starts acting like, well, Udina.

I tried to drown out what he was saying, but I think at some point he was berating me for being alive.

Zeliard said:
The combat in the first game was broken, unbalanced and incredibly easy to take advantage of, turning Insanity into a cakewalk. How anyone can find it superior to ME2's combat is beyond me.

You had a lot more choices, tactically, and longer cooldown times (until you get powered up, anyway) made drawn out fights more strategic. You could take Liara and have a biotic with the full range of powers, or Tali and have all your tech options available.

It led to some imbalances, but, like a lot of Bioware's choices for this game, instead of addressing the real problems they just decided to skirt the issue and limit your options.

Combat certainly isn't any better in ME2, that's for damn sure. Now your companions have maybe two abilities to use in combat at most, and the cooldown times are so short they can be spammed pretty much continuously right from the start.

can anyone tell me if there is an achievement for staying faithful to your ME1 romance partner?

i've read before where casey talks about how hard it will be to stay faithful and something about an achievement for it.

Naughtboy

Banned
Ok i need some help or advice:

I got my code for the cool armor and gun, completely forgot i had a previous EA account linked to my Gamertag and made a new one at Bioware. I tried to link my current gamertag to it, but it won't allow it because it's already linked to another e-mail. So i'm stuck.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of going back to gamestop with my reciept and telling them the code doesn't work and ask if i can get another one. I know its not that big of a deal, but the armor looks cool as heck, unless anyone has a code they can PM me ......

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Confidence Man said:
You had a lot more choices, tactically, and longer cooldown times (until you get powered up, anyway) made drawn out fights more strategic. You could take Liara and have a biotic with the full range of powers, or Tali and have all your tech options available.

It led to some imbalances, but, like a lot of Bioware's choices for this game, instead of addressing the real problems they just decided to skirt the issue and limit your options.

Combat certainly isn't any better in ME2, that's for damn sure. Now your companions have maybe two abilities to use in combat at most, and the cooldown times are so short they can be spammed pretty much continuously right from the start.
So I think we have two divergent opinions here based on different things: the combat is "better" in ME2 in that the controls and cover mechanics are actually competent and they do finally work, but I do see your point-- character specialization is not as pronounced, so much shorter cooldown times make certain choices less strategic. It really just depends what you're looking for-- I think the vast majority of players are going to prefer it be a smooth cover shooter than...whatever ME1 was...(though I liked the blend it came up with), so in one sense Bioware has definitely tailored the game to the biggest potential audience. But I do take your point and I think I might agree.

Feorax

Hmm, my amazon UK preorder is still not even in packing, likely wont see the thing till Monday. Even paid for 1st class delivery.

£29.99 was a sweet deal, but im probably not going to be preordering from them again.

Zeliard

Confidence Man said:

There were a lot more abilities in ME1 but most generally went unused in favor of things that worked basically everytime. This time around they at least try to switch things for the player up by putting different barriers on different enemies, which basically requires you to vary up what you throw at them, at least on higher difficulties. There are fewer abilities but they feel more meaningful. I would have loved to see more, as I do agree that four is a bit too few, but as you noted they could have ran into more balance issues.

I also think that outside of that, the feel of the gunplay itself is vastly superior to ME1, as well as Shepard's movement around the battlefield (though that still has its issues). I didn't look forward to the combat in Mass Effect 1, but I definitely do in Mass Effect 2. One of the main reasons I want to find anomalies is so I can get into more fights.

Also, as far as your last point... the cooldowns are short but most biotic abilities can't be used until you've breached the enemy's defenses, which on the higher difficulties is pretty much everyone you face.

I hated how Bioware wrote Udina and the Council in ME1 to be so unlikable, to the point that it was straining believability.

Writer #1: "Wait. Udina/Councilor makes a reasonable and logical counterpoint here to what Shepard is saying. But the player has to hate them!"
Writer #2: "Can't you make them unreasonably angry about things that a politician of that status would understand?"
Writer #1: "I already did that twice during this conversation tree."
Writer #2: "Then have them make their reasonable point, but point out that they're sneering and being condescending assholes while they're saying it."

They had no character traits or personalities at all outside of, "we disagree! we don't believe you!" The councilors don't even have fucking names.

hulot

Confidence Man said:

There definitely were more options in ME1 but biotics were incredibly overpowered and tech skills almost useless on insanity. On the flipside, playing as an ME2 adept, I feel biotics have now been nerfed since by the time I get the defenses down, I might as well shoot them. And no, you can't spam them like you could in ME1, at all.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
There were a lot more abilities in ME1 but most generally went unused in favor of things that worked basically everytime. This time around they at least try to switch things for the player up by putting different barriers on different enemies, which basically requires you to vary up what you throw at them, at least on higher difficulties. There are fewer abilities but they feel more meaningful. I would have loved to see more, as I do agree that four is a bit too few, but as you noted they could have ran into more balance issues.

I also think that outside of that, the feel of the gunplay itself is vastly superior to ME1, as well as Shepard's movement around the battlefield (though that still has its issues). I didn't look forward to the combat in Mass Effect 1, but I definitely do in Mass Effect 2. One of the main reasons I want to find anomalies is so I can get into more fights.

Also, as far as your last point... the cooldowns are short but most biotic abilities can't be used until you've breached the enemy's defenses, which on the higher difficulties is pretty much everyone you face.

Can't you bring along Tech allies to use Overload before you use your Biotics?

Naughtboy said:
Ok i need some help or advice:

I got my code for the cool armor and gun, completely forgot i had a previous EA account linked to my Gamertag and made a new one at Bioware. I tried to link my current gamertag to it, but it won't allow it because it's already linked to another e-mail. So i'm stuck.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of going back to gamestop with my reciept and telling them the code doesn't work and ask if i can get another one. I know its not that big of a deal, but the armor looks cool as heck, unless anyone has a code they can PM me ......

then can i take your code? :D

EmCeeGramr said:
They had no character traits or personalities at all outside of, "we disagree! we don't believe you!" The councilors don't even have fucking names.
I'll argue that if they were decently written they wouldn't need names and you would identify them by the species that they represent.

Erasus

DarkoMaledictus said:
nothing other than not allowing to crash on a sofa with your feet up! Rather go for confort than precision on non competitive games!

Because it sure is impossible to connect a gaming PC that will play Mass Effect 2 at better resolutions, better framerate and better quality to a HDTV+couch and plug in a usb/xbox controller. Impossible I say!

On a related note, I lost my saves for ME1 so I am playing it agin now. I´ll ME2 but I´ll wait until the price drops.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't get why the default ME2 choice is let the council die and pick Udina. Just seems so pointless..

One of the reasons I let the council die is because they were useless, never believed what Shepard warned them about. So I let them die for ignoring my warnings. :D

But Udina..was exactly the same, and even supported the council in holding Shepard back. The human led council so far doesn't seem very good based on
what Anderson told me at the citadel
, but
Anderson is trying to get them to believe Shepard.
I couldn't see Udina doing that.

gregor7777 said:
What's wrong with the PC interface?

The menus are built around using a controller, there is no mouse wheel support, and there aren't any options to hotkey weapons. Small stuff, but it can be inconvenient.

Zzoram

Basileus777 said:
The menus are built around using a controller, there is no mouse wheel support, and there aren't any options to hotkey weapons. Small stuff, but it can be inconvenient.

I only really care about the mouse wheel support. It's the only thing that annoys me because I keep trying to use it, forgetting that the game doesn't support it.

pahamrick

So, it seems the Mass Effect 2 stuff is finally up on the Dr Pepper promotion.

And I just happen to have 3 spare codes. So, the first three people to PM me get a code.

-Edit-

And they're gone.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Erasus said:
Because it sure is impossible to connect a gaming PC that will play Mass Effect 2 at better resolutions, better framerate and better quality to a HDTV+couch and plug in a usb/xbox controller. Impossible I say!

On a related note, I lost my saves for ME1 so I am playing it agin now. I´ll ME2 but I´ll wait until the price drops.

Lol, did you even read my post ;p! Reason i'm posting a xpadder profile is because me2 does not support controllers at all... so yeah like you said "impossible" ;p!

Geesh some people misread post just to make lame counterpoints...guess its easier than saying thanks for the profile...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mudo said:
I'm VERY conflicted now on whether to get the PC Or 360 version. Here are my concerns:

-I don't want to start with a level/skill point bonus, but carrying over my decisions would be cool, except 1 decision I made I would like to have done differently....I know this isn't an either/or situation though.

-If the PC interface is as suck as I'm hearing, is it just worth it to get the 360 version?

-If I did that, should I then get ME1 first and play through on that, and THEN get ME2 on 360. maybe only get level 49 so the bonus doesn't apply and I can just get the decisions to carry over.

How bad is performance on the 360 if I install the games (both 1 and 2)? I'm very, very tempted to go pick up the console versions of this after work and just forget the whole PC thing.....thoughts or advice?

1. This might be able to help you http://www.annakie.com/me/
2. Not at all, the gameplay feels far more suited to a PC interface than a controller IMO.
3. In terms of performance, the PC version is very-well optimized i'm getting 30-40 fps on 1680x1050 res with 4xAA. Specs are 8800 gt 2.2 ghz 4200+ athlon. If you have a PC better than that, i think it would be a no-brainier to get the PC version.

kitzkozan

Confidence Man said:

I disagree,I didn't find the combat to be fun in the first game. :p

You had more choice,but combat was dull and not visceral in any shape or form.You could absorb way too much hit (especially as a vanguard or soldier),which mean the game devolved into a mindless run and gun.

ME 2 does limit options,but it's much more visceral and based on twitch skill.It's important to think fast,take cover and properly place your partners or you die pretty quickly (being a visceral experience is the shooter at it's core).It's more or less similar to Contra and being killed in 1 hit or the crappy Contra with an health bar. :lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
funkmasterb said:
Mouse Wheel working over here.
It works, but it's essentially completely unusable for any tactical use. You scroll through every gun at an incredibly slow pace, and when you get to your heavy duty weapon you get a big speed penalty effect.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
gregor7777 said:
What? I asked a simple question:

And got:

Just offered an xpadder profile for me 2, no other opinion than that. Just an option for people who want to play controller on pc... that's all! Is it better or worst? Don't ask me, just giving options here ;)!

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Can't you bring along Tech allies to use Overload before you use your Biotics?

Well, the barriers can be destroyed in various ways, but many of the best biotic abilites (like pull) can't be used until the enemy shields are totally gone and they've got the red health bar up. It also reddens a lot of powers out until the shields are gone, so it shouldn't be possible to spam biotic powers on higher difficulties.

They clearly designed the game around the weaponry being king this time around, hence the various weapon classes and upgrades, versus the relatively minimal amount of abilities/skills.

Like with many of the design decisions they made in Mass Effect 2, I don't mind that the particular ME1 powers are gone, since I never really thought ME1 did a great job with biotic abilities. Playing an Adept in that game was very disappointing. Similarly, the loot being gone now doesn't bother me, as I never cared at all for Mass Effect 1's loot. The stuff they removed is (with one or two exceptions) all the stuff that I hated, and that's the sort of streamlining I can get behind. Invisible War-style streamlining, or Bioshock's simplified gameplay... that's where we start to run into some problems.

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
corrosivefrost said:
It doesn't change anything, besides that people say "oh, humans took over the council" instead of whatever "generic response about humans trying to take over the council and become import" here is.

The story/gameplay doesn't fundamentally change because of it. There's no "the council helps you massively and provides support because it's human led" vs. "the council says bugger off, because humans aren't important" to the point where... say, in some major battle, it would be the difference between having troop support vs. flying solo.

In the cannon universe, it changes things drastically. As far as gameplay and story goes, it's still fundamentally the same, regardless of what you do.

Take my kill/save Wrex argument. What impact does Wrex being alive or dead matter? Does it change Grunt's loyalty quest? Do you have to do things differently to get Grunt's loyalty quest. I'm willing to bet the answer is "not really.".

I see where you're coming from. However, just because certain choices from ME1 didn't seem to have big consequences in ME2, doesn't mean they wont come into play further down the road. In ME3 we'll have access to every decision you've made throughout both previous games, and you may find that some consequences take time to emerge.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
so does anybody know if your original romance enters your party or is
tali and garrus the only originals that join you

and is there any way to buy guns and not just research upgrades? this pissed me off that you couldn't buy armor or guns. (well i haven't found any yet)

So I've been wearing my blood dragon armor and it's cool but I've also been upgrading my armor as well. Am I upgrading the blood dragon armor or do I have to go back to the original suit to get the upgrade benefits?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Weeman0313 said:
so does anybody know if your original romance enters your party or is
tali and garrus the only originals that join you

and is there any way to buy guns and not just research upgrades? this pissed me off that you couldn't buy armor or guns. (well i haven't found any yet)

I don't think you can, I just found the rare gun drop on the battlefield. I would of liked a whole lot more guns and armor.. here is hoping me 3 gives more loot options! Seems like the only different armors you get are the pre-order deals! Wouldn't mind if the game had like 20 different sets, but as it is it pisses me off the only variety is from custom colors and gamestop deals...

How to go with classes? I played an Engineer but don't want to play one in ME2 - combat drone doesn't sound too hot. Thinking about Adept or Sentinel (Tech armor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom