• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

The_Inquisitor said:
God why won't the DLC go on sale for ME2 again. I beat it on 360 eons ago, but I need to do my PC save now that I have a great PC.
i'm willing to bet that the dlc will drop again before ME3 release for that final big push of sales.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Patryn said:
Sarcasm, I'm guessing, but I literally saved all my heavy weapon ammo for the entire game for that one fight. One shot of Cain = 3/4 of boss health gone. Add some incinerate, stew for about 10 seconds, boss goes down easily.

I literally didn't realize
his weak point was on his chest
until the second time I fought him. And that time I had enough for 2 shots of the Cain.

That's how overpowered the Cain is.

His chest?!
HAHAHAHA. I was going for his eyes.

Abylim

It was a minimal run, no loyalty, and dick all research done. Best I had was the Particle beam heavy, I mainly used the Mattock and widow.

The time I actually killed him, everything just clicked. My squad mates actually lived, and took care of most of the collectors, while I cheesed the Reaper from behind the middle pillar wall. The try itselft probably took 10 minutes all up, still not great.

But yeah, 3 upgrades roughly per weapon, zero unity (Used it all on the waves previously) and not alot of ammo, either. MAde it quite tough =\

subversus

by the way I learned to use Widow and it rocks, especially with invisibility ans warp ammo on.

Abylim

Also, you guys did read I was playing on Insanity?

I murdered the dude first try on normal, but everything is so much harder on Insanity =\

Patryn

Genjikage said:
HOLYSHIT MINDBLOWN!
I was pewpewing his eyes too... how do you get the chest? I saw it a few times, but very briefly.

He'll rear himself up randomly, but you can also get right close to the edge and look down if you're fast enough. You'll literally get a target saying something like "WEAK POINT".

UnluckyKate said:
Any hint about how to get through the Derelict Reaper on Insanity ? Squad/power recommandation.

I'm a level 26 Adept.

I'm not aware of moves for Adept, but if you have shockwave that will help a ton with husks. Have someone with Incinerate like Mordin for armor and probably someone with warp (or another incinerate, doesn't hurt and it affects armor more than warp)

Abylim

I went through there as a soldier... Also, I'm guessing you're doing everything? I beat the game at level 17 hehe.

The hardest part of the ship is the Preatorian ambush, pillar/corner glitch him, and if you have the geth plasma shotgun, that thing fully charged is sick!

Other than that, I dont have alot of advice =\

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UnluckyKate said:
Any hint about how to get through the Derelict Reaper on Insanity ? Squad/power recommandation.

I'm a level 26 Adept.

Maker sure you hitting husks in the legs. It wont usually kill them, but it will quickly drop them and slow them down significantly, making them very easy targets for you and your squadmates to finish off.

Arjen

Patryn said:
Sarcasm, I'm guessing, but I literally saved all my heavy weapon ammo for the entire game for that one fight. One shot of Cain = 3/4 of boss health gone. Add some incinerate, stew for about 10 seconds, boss goes down easily.

I literally didn't realize
his weak point was on his chest
until the second time I fought him. And that time I had enough for 2 shots of the Cain.

That's how overpowered the Cain is.

What in the fuck, i finished the game five times, and i never knew
There was a weak spot in the chest, i always shoot him in the eye

Acidote

One hour and a half for the last boss? I would've turned the off the console on the 20 minute mark xD

With all that time you should have noticed there was something wrong in how you were fighting it.

subversus

lol I was fighting the first boss in LOtSB for half an hour on hardcore today and then my game crashed when she had like 1% of health left. I think I'll retry later today but Liara is useless for this fight and Zaeed's inferno grenade doesn't have the desired effect. I'm an infiltraror. Any tips for hardcore?

Arjen

subversus said:
lol I was fighting the first boss in LOtSB for half an hour on hardcore today and then my game crashed when she had like 1% of health left. I think I'll retry later today but Liara is useless for this fight and Zaeed's inferno grenade doesn't have the desired effect. I'm an infiltraror. Any tips for hardcore?

Infiltrator? Just widow her in the face, let Liara cast stasis on her when you're low in health.
Maybe bring Miranda with you instead of zaeed, her squad buff and Warp is damn usefull

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:

Keep moving. Smack her in the face with the Widowmaker. Not sure what else to say. She was tough, but I didnt find her too hard. Infiltrator is a tank.

Dany

Banned
EatChildren said:
Keep moving. Smack her in the face with the Widowmaker. Not sure what else to say. She was tough, but I didnt find her too hard. Infiltrator is a tank.

Liara can statis her right? Do that and once she falls to the ground, just hammer her down with whatever you have. Challenging boss

subversus

EatChildren said:

Hm, does damage depend on the distance?

EatChildren

subversus said:
Hm, does damage depend on the distance?

No, I dont think so. But there is location damage, so make sure you hit her square in the head.

Balphon

UnluckyKate said:

I'm a level 26 Adept.

Respec to Wide Singularity, Heavy Warp, Bastion/Nemesis, and Heavy Warp Ammo if you don't have them. Spam Singularity on Husks and use your SMG/Pistol with warp ammo up to clear off their armor so the singularity effect will kill them. Try to take out Scions from a distance with Warp and be sure to focus on Abominations when you see them so they don't blow up in your face. As for squadmates, I'd suggest Miranda (for the extra Warp and squad damage bonuses) and Grunt (because Incinerate Ammo will probably be helpful and he might actually live through more than two Scion shockwaves.) Kasumi (Shadow Strike, Flashbang) and Samara (Reave) are also decent choices if you have them.

Dresden

UnluckyKate said:

I'm a level 26 Adept.
Spam singularity and toss wide throw on husks with their armor stripped (will kill in one shot). No point in going for warp explosions because one throw will kill them. I used the Locust and the heavy pistol with the laser sight.

I used Grunt and Jacob. Didn't want to bother with squad powers and they're both durable shotgun-using characters (although it helped that I had the DLC with the geth shotgun). Grunt in particular shines--he can get mobbed by five, six husks and still come out alive. Jacob is the black guy who dies first.

Welp, The Arrival was pretty disappointing, likely the shallowest example of choice in the series yet. Either way that
asteroid is going to hit and destroy the Mass Effect relay,
the only means through which there's the illusion of choice is that one moment where
you attempt to radio the Batarian colonists to warn them or Joker for pick up before you get cut off
. This event is going to happen regardless and there's this token moment, this meaningless gesture that makes it right or wrong. Mass Effect is getting more linear like those jrpgs Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk were slagging early last year.

Given the Game Informer details of Mass Effect 3,
Shepard's trial happens months or years later or destroying the relay was completely pointless because the Reapers arrive on earth.

The illusion of choice would have been greater if you could choose to launch or disable the asteroid in The Arrival. To choose to destroy the Mass Effect relay, to sacrifice that system, the colony of three hundred thousand Batarians and potentially start a war with the Batarians just to slow the Reapers down for months or years, if at all. Or disable the meteor, try to warn and somehow rescue the colony of Batarians rather than becoming a mass murderer, only to see the Reaper fleet arrive in the system, wipe the colony out. Shepard has to flee, with his doom following swiftly behind.

Then the only thing you have to change in ME3's intro is Shepard being on trial when the Reaper fleet arrives or Shepard trying to warn the earth about the impending arrival Reaper fleet.

Mindlog

jaundicejuice said:
This event is going to happen regardless and there's this token moment, this meaningless gesture that makes it right or wrong. Mass Effect is getting more linear like those jrpgs Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk were slagging early last year.

Given the Game Informer details of Mass Effect 3,
Shepard's trial happens months or years later or destroying the relay was completely pointless because the Reapers arrive on earth.
I agree. Nothing you do in Mass Effect stops Sovereign from attacking the Citadel. It's really lame. Everything is lame.

It's so lame. Destroying the relay should have been the end of the story. Reapers are forever trapped in Dark Space.

I just finished The Arrival and, yeah, pretty underwhelming, but it's still leaps and bounds above Overlord for me. Sorry if this has been asked, but
does anybody know how much of an impact killing the doctor will have on, well, ME3, I guess? Or rather, what happens if I don't shoot her as she has her hands on the detonator? Does she press it anyway?

Mindlog said:
I agree. Nothing you do in Mass Effect stops Sovereign from attacking the Citadel. It's really lame. Everything is lame.

It's so lame. Destroying the relay should have been the end of the story. Reapers are forever trapped in Dark Space.

But, there are others relay in the galaxy !

And who put a relay in dark space anyway ?

Plot hole ?

samdavis

Neo Member
UnluckyKate said:
So why did they need the Geth to activate the Relay on Ilos if they control where to put the Relays and when to use them ?

I'd have to play ME1 again (or read the Wiki) to answer that question as I don't remember. It's probably a plot hole (one of many) but the only thing that I remember is that the Protheans reconfigured the signal on the Citadel so a call from whatever relay the Reapers use wouldn't work. In order to get to the Citadel, they used a prototype relay (I think) on Ilos which is the only place the Reapers hadn't traveled to and the last hope that they Protheans had of slowing them down. I really don't remember anything about Geth on Ilos though.

Who knows though? I don't even remember what relay the Reapers were supposed to use to get to the Citadel in the first place.

Walshicus

Okay, the game keeps telling me I can't load a savegame because DLC is missing. I keep reinstalling and it keeps saying that. Anyone else have the same issue? On 360 here.

Sir Fragula said:
Okay, the game keeps telling me I can't load a savegame because DLC is missing. I keep reinstalling and it keeps saying that. Anyone else have the same issue? On 360 here.
I've never had that happen.

Have you purchased DLC and removed it? Was the reinstallation for your game or the DLC?
Are you playing while connected to the internet or offline?

Abylim

It was all i needed for plat, and i youtubed it, they were always hitting him in the eyes.
I wasnt hitting the guy for an hour and a half, that was dying and reloading. I dont think hitting him in the chest makes it easier. It probably didnt help that my checkpoint had me with little ammo, no unity, and it was a minimal run.

Hats off to you folks that can kill the end boss in 90 seconds or whatever, I wish I could be that good.

EDIT: sounds like I'm being sarcastic here, I'm not! I had a buddy over too, he'd try it, i'd try it. We just couldnt do it. Easily the worst part of my run. Felt good to finally kill him though! Seriously though, does the chest area take more damage? I'm looking on youtube, and the vast majority really do hit the eyes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
UnluckyKate said:

I'm a level 26 Adept.

Burn armor then kill with pull or singularity. Insta death

So I started playing through ME2 from the beginning on my shiny new $8 PC copy.

I must say, so far I'm in the comfy couch camp when comparing the two. Mainly due to the control scheme - the controller works better for me. It just feels awkward moving with M/KB to me, though there are a few advantages to the control scheme.

If my system was better, yeah it would probably look better than the 360 version (I get quite a few jaggies right now).

Anyone else who's played on both console and PC have an opinion?

subversus

CarbonatedFalcon said:
So I started playing through ME2 from the beginning on my shiny new $8 PC copy.

I must say, so far I'm in the comfy couch camp when comparing the two. Mainly due to the control scheme - the controller works better for me. It just feels awkward moving with M/KB to me, though there are a few advantages to the control scheme.

If my system was better, yeah it would probably look better than the 360 version (I get quite a few jaggies right now).

I played PS3 demo and PC version is better for me.

EatChildren

CarbonatedFalcon said:

Picked up the PC version at launch, tried the PS3 demo, and you'd have to pay me to play through it. Just personal taste. I love how much cleaner and nicer it looks on PC, and for any game with shooter I hate aiming with analogue sticks.

subversus

EatChildren said:
Picked up the PC version at launch, tried the PS3 demo, and you'd have to pay me to play through it. Just personal taste. I love how much cleaner and nicer it looks on PC, and for any game with shooter I hate aiming with analogue sticks.

also you can map more powers on PC.

EatChildren said:
I can respect that and completely understand it.

Unfortunately I bought my PC from Sears and the GPU sucks. My old GPU (WHICH DOESN'T FIT IN THE CASE!!!) from 2005 decimates it.

subversus

Thunder Monkey said:
Unfortunately I bought my PC from Sears and the GPU sucks. My old GPU (WHICH DOESN'T FIT IN THE CASE!!!) from 2005 decimates it.

Is it intel integrated video?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chalk me up for another one who hated the PS3 demo, but loves the series on PC. I play a lot of 3rd person shooters with the pad, but Bioware sure as hell didn't make the DS3 feel very good.

Also, the Mako is made fun by the MKB.

For someone that only beat the main game. Either ship a game of the year edition on 360, or package deal the DLC on Live or I will most likely skip ME3.

Anerythristic said:
For someone that only beat the main game. Either ship a game of the year edition on 360, or package deal the DLC on Live or I will most likely skip ME3.
Just wait until ME3 is really cheap and get ME2 now. You can find it for really cheap now and with the DLC it would be like under forty for it.

The main game with the Cerberus stuff is cool enough on it's own, but I've found even Kasumi's stuff to be worth the price. LotSB was incredible. Story stuff was the same crap, but it was fun.

Keio

For a Finer World
Started my Insanity run to get a "complete ME3 save file" importing my save from Mass Effect 1 and changing class to Soldier. Any major tips?

- I've gone for maximum health, shield & damage upgrades
- I spam Adrenaline Rush for headshots
- I bought all DLC to get the overpowered weapons
- Will get Krogan first and team him up with Miranda for a good mix of support powers

How tough will it be? I breezed through the first couple of missions (first colony and getting Mordin).

Top Bottom