• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

So finally finished ME2 after sitting on my games save for so long. Are the DLC misisons long and worth the money or should I wait and hope for a possible dlc sale before ME3?

McNum

BattleMonkey said:
So finally finished ME2 after sitting on my games save for so long. Are the DLC misisons long and worth the money or should I wait and hope for a possible dlc sale before ME3?
You probably want Lair of the Shadow Broker, which is awesome and sets up something for ME3, and Arrival, which is more or less the epilogue to ME2, setting up the opening of ME3. Arrival is a little weak, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BattleMonkey said:

Shadow Broker - Best of the DLC.
Overlord - Longest, also great.
Kasumi - Very short, but a great mission. Value is relative to how much you'll use her character in other missions.
Arrival - Pretty shit and not worth it.

EatChildren said:
Shadow Broker - Best of the DLC.
Overlord - Longest, also great.
Kasumi - Very short, but a great mission. Value is relative to how much you'll use her character in other missions.
Arrival - Pretty shit and not worth it.

On the PS3 version, I always start my playthrough with Kasumi: the SMG you get in the DLC in such a beast...

Cornbread78

SO I finished the story last night having completed all of the loyalty missions. Problem was I was trying to get in the sack with Miranda (Mission accomplished) and when I completed Jacks loyalty mission, her loyalty did not stay and there was no option to get it back and thus she dies at the end, WTF....... Who can I get with on a second playthrough that doesn't make me lose loyalty from another character.

Cornbread78 said:
SO I finished the story last night having completed all of the loyalty missions. Problem was I was trying to get in the sack with Miranda (Mission accomplished) and when I completed Jacks loyalty mission, her loyalty did not stay and there was no option to get it back and thus she dies at the end, WTF....... Who can I get with on a second playthrough that doesn't make me lose loyalty from another character.

There's always going to be a conflict between a couple of characters like that. You need high renegade/paragon to talk them down and lose no loyalty.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I beat the game with full loyalty, did it with Garrus (lol), and saved my whole team. I don't know what I did though.

BattleMonkey said:

I got most of them in a New Year's Eve sale so I paid like $2.50 for each of them. Hard to say no to that.

Overlord - good, not worth $10
Shadow Broker - great, totally worth $10
Kasumi - great imo, worth the $6 or whatever.
Arrival - horse shit

Cornbread78

MrTroubleMaker said:

So I can catch her, and "do even more" lol. but seriously, if I sack that chick it doesn't conflict with any of the other characters? I almost wanted to get with Tali, just to see what that looks like, lol.

Cornbread78 said:
So I can catch her, and "do even more" lol. but seriously, if I sack that chick it doesn't conflict with any of the other characters? I almost wanted to get with Tali, just to see what that looks like, lol.
Kelly -No conflict and no conflict with a ME1 love

Tali-
spoiler about if you see under the mask
you don't see anything

Tali does have a conflict with another character

EliCash

So when is the cut off point for loyalty missions and assignments? I have to go and "Retrieve the IFF". Should I make sure I do everything before this mission or can you still do the side missions afterwards?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Halfway with Soldier on Insanity. Percentage possibilities I'm gonna get it to the end? I'm a decent player.

I'm a fairly average player and I managed it on Insanity as a soldier.

One or two parts are utter cunts, but if you manage to get by them (which will just take patience and some luck, maybe) then you'll be fine.

Dr Eggman said:
Halfway with Soldier on Insanity. Percentage possibilities I'm gonna get it to the end? I'm a decent player.
Do you have the Mattock? Either way insanity isn't too hard. A few annoying difficulty spikes here and there though.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
Do you have the Mattock? Either way insanity isn't too hard. A few annoying difficulty spikes here and there though.
I don't but if it's that essential I can purchase the pack.

Dr Eggman said:
I don't but if it's that essential I can purchase the pack.
No. Its just really the most overpowered weapon in the game for a soldier. Personally id say that the firepower pack is worth it for anyone because those extra weapons are great and actually have an impact on the gameplay.

Edit: Heightened adrenaline rush has a built in 140% damage bonus to offset the lowered rate of fire. The mattock fires as fast as you can click/hit the button so its rate of fire isn't affected by the slow down. So it kind of gets broken. Very fun weapon to use though.

Dany

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
I did it on Insanity a few days ago. The Scions are annoying as hell.

Insanity with a vanguard is terrible. No warp, only ice and fire ammo and charge is useless. Remember the level on the collector ship with the platform that rises up and you have to face two scions rotating arounf with collectors breathing down your neck.

It took me three days and restarting the mission to figure what worked. I had reave, squad ice ammo with Miranda and thane with full warp. So damn long, ugh!

kai3345

Banned
Which squaddies are best to bring with you for Horizon? Im gonna have to restart the mission this shit is getting ridiculous

pmj

I think I fucked up.

Seeing as Bioware's canon Shepard is renegade, I decided to do an all-Paragon run with every single mission done for an ME3 playthrough that's as opposite as possible.

All went well until the Reaper IFF mission. I did Legion's loyalty mission before launching the suicide mission but my crew still died, I'm guessing because I used the map before speaking to Legion, something I didn't know was a big no-no.

Now I see that my savegame is right after having used the map, and the one before that from 12 hours earlier. Am I screwed? Or is there randomness involved and I can keep doing Legion's mission and suicide mission over and over until they're saved? Googling this turns up some varying theories on how this works.

Havok

EliCash said:
So when is the cut off point for loyalty missions and assignments? I have to go and "Retrieve the IFF". Should I make sure I do everything before this mission or can you still do the side missions afterwards?
Finish everything before the IFF mission. You can do a single mission afterwards, and you'll need that space.

------

So, I finished what is likely my third or fourth full playthrough of the game, but this time I had every piece of DLC (man, Arrival was....well, it exists, I guess) and I used a list of side mission planets to 100% the game, which is also what I did for the first game on that same career. This includes all the DLC weapons partly because I'm a sucker, but mostly because I think that they're the only weapons that feel right to me besides the snipers and one of the shotguns in the vanilla game. My sentiments remain the same for the third game: Tighten the shooting elements so it's not a kind of janky Gears clone with actual bullet sponges and return to some of the discarded RPG elements (I really loved my inventory stuff, even if the UI was horrible). The gradiated skills are dumb, because it leads to my having 1 or 2 points left over on some of my companions that are just wasted because I can't afford anything. More gradual skill progression with single point skills, please. And I might be alone on this, but I'd rather have the original game's hacking minigame than the second's. I prefer playing Simon for 8 seconds occasionally in lieu of waiting for the right hacking tile to show up for 20 seconds in nearly every room (for credits that become extremely meaningless, as well). Note: I haven't been following all the ME3 details so I reserve the right to stand corrected/be horribly wrong about any or all of the above.

pmj said:
I think I fucked up.

Seeing as Bioware's canon Shepard is renegade, I decided to do an all-Paragon run with every single mission done for an ME3 playthrough that's as opposite as possible.

All went well until the Reaper IFF mission. I did Legion's loyalty mission before launching the suicide mission but my crew still died, I'm guessing because I used the map before speaking to Legion, something I didn't know was a big no-no.

Now I see that my savegame is right after having used the map, and the one before that from 12 hours earlier. Am I screwed? Or is there randomness involved and I can keep doing Legion's mission and suicide mission over and over until they're saved? Googling this turns up some varying theories on how this works.
Did you dock anywhere? I think that's the factor that the game uses for whether or not 'time has passed.' I did some mining before heading off to the suicide mission so it shouldn't have gone wrong unless you actually loaded a new area.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
No. Its just really the most overpowered weapon in the game for a soldier. Personally id say that the firepower pack is worth it for anyone because those extra weapons are great and actually have an impact on the gameplay.

Edit: Heightened adrenaline rush has a built in 140% damage bonus to offset the lowered rate of fire. The mattock fires as fast as you can click/hit the button so its rate of fire isn't affected by the slow down. So it kind of gets broken. Very fun weapon to use though.
I'll be purchasing it then. I've got a few points to spare. It will ultimately grant me 75 gamerscore.

pmj

Havok said:
Did you dock anywhere? I think that's the factor that the game uses for whether or not 'time has passed.' I did some mining before heading off to the suicide mission so it shouldn't have gone wrong unless you actually loaded a new area.
I can't remember what I did in the map, but I never left the ship. I also took the elevator up to my cabin to feed the fish. After that I spoke to Legion, did his mission and then left straight for the Omega 3 relay. Half the crew died.

Edit: Never mind about this. I rushed through the last two missions on casual and half the crew still died. It's probably not random, and the map should not be touched before you speak to Legion. I think I'm done with this game.

lotrfan said:
Did Bioware say that or is this inferred?
Inferred from having the default choices from ME1 to be all renegade. Also its easier to just assume everyone is dead when it comes to making the majority of the game.

lotrfan

Neo Member
Lostconfused said:
Inferred from having the default choices from ME1 to be all renegade. Also its easier to just assume everyone is dead when it comes to making the majority of the game.
OK. Thanks.

Melchiah

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but what kind of system requirements does the PC version of the 1st ME have? I've got a laptop with 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of system memory (3GB usable on my 32-bit system) and Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB.

Patryn

Melchiah said:
Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but what kind of system requirements does the PC version of the 1st ME have? I've got a laptop with 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of system memory (3GB usable on my 32-bit system) and Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB.

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System:

Windows XP or Vista

Processor:

2.4+GHz Intel or 2.0+GHz AMD

Memory:

1 Gigabyte RAM (XP)

2 Gigabyte RAM (Vista)

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 6 series(6800GT or better)

ATI 1300XT or better (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)

Hard Drive Space:

12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:

DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System:

Windows XP or Vista

Processor:

2.6+GHz Intel or 2.4+GHz AMD

Memory:

2 Gigabyte RAM

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or higher

ATI X1800 XL series or higher

Hard Drive Space:

12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:

DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers - 5.1 sound card recommended

Found through here.

Also, keep in mind that the processor requirements are for single-core.

Finally, I recommend using this tool.

Dany M said:
Insanity with a vanguard is terrible. No warp, only ice and fire ammo and charge is useless. Remember the level on the collector ship with the platform that rises up and you have to face two scions rotating arounf with collectors breathing down your neck.

It took me three days and restarting the mission to figure what worked. I had reave, squad ice ammo with Miranda and thane with full warp. So damn long, ugh!
Insanity with a Vanguard is awesome. Heavy Charge, Inferno Ammo, Champion and Reave. It takes some getting used to, but by the end of the game my Vanguard was zipping across the battlefield like I was playing on Casual.

Melchiah

Patryn said:

Found through here.

Also, keep in mind that the processor requirements are for single-core.

Finally, I recommend using this tool.

ZOALI.jpg

Thanks for the info. =) I'm going to buy the game right away, so I don't have to borrow my friend's Xbox again to finish it. Although I'll have to start the game from the beginning, unless there's a way to transfer your save file to PC?

Is there any DLC worth buying, or are they possibly included in the PC version? And I'd be grateful for any information about possible useful mods for the game. =)

Lothars

BattleMonkey said:

Shadow Broker - worth it, one of the best DLC released for any game
Overlord - enjoyable and I would say worth it.
Kasumi - Worth it, cool squadmate.
Arrival - it's better than others are saying but I would recommend waiting for a price drop on it.

Also the Firepower pack is worth it.

Madrical

Banned
Minor spoilers about characters below:

In my third playthrough the Kasumi DLC was released, I'm currently on the Tali mission, and I'm wondering, what race is Kasumi? I googled it and nothing, at least from what I could see. Her wikia entry completely ignores her race.. I just can't figure it out.

Madrical said:
Minor spoilers about characters below:

In my third playthrough the Kasumi DLC was released, I'm currently on the Tali mission, and I'm wondering, what race is Kasumi? I googled it and nothing, at least from what I could see. Her wikia entry completely ignores her race.. I just can't figure it out.

It's more obvious than you think - she's human ;)

Patryn

Melchiah said:
ZOALI.jpg

Thanks for the info. =) I'm going to buy the game right away, so I don't have to borrow my friend's Xbox again to finish it. Although I'll have to start the game from the beginning, unless there's a way to transfer your save file to PC?

Is there any DLC worth buying, or are they possibly included in the PC version? And I'd be grateful for any information about possible useful mods for the game. =)

There's only one worth getting: Bring Down the Sky. I believe it's free, but you may have to use some Google-Fu to find it on Bioware's site if it's not included with your copy.

_dementia said:
Nice to see this thread bumped. I just started playing myself. Went Vanguard because that's what my ME1 dude was.

I hate shotgun gunplay in everygame (but FEAR) and I'm tedious about the Vanguard class because of it's heavy oriented shotgun gunplay. In the other hand, charge seems so much fun...

Mikey Jr.

My friend let me borrow this game and jsut beat it.

Fucking amazing! I had no idea what I was missing.

As I am borrowing the game, there is some DLC missing. Money is no problem, so what DLC should I get?

-Cerberus Network obviously, right?
-Arrival? Heard it was shit, but advances the plot a little?
-Heard Shadow Broker was great
-Overlord? Mehh?
-Kasumi? Heard it was good
-Any of the packs good?

Arjen

Mikey Jr. said:
My friend let me borrow this game and jsut beat it.

Fucking amazing! I had no idea what I was missing.

As I am borrowing the game, there is some DLC missing. Money is no problem, so what DLC should I get?

-Cerberus Network obviously, right?
-Arrival? Heard it was shit, but advances the plot a little?
-Heard Shadow Broker was great
-Overlord? Mehh?
-Kasumi? Heard it was good
-Any of the packs good?

Been discussed a couple of times, but in my opninion.

Shadow Broker - Must play, simply amazing.
Overlord - Loved that as wel, pretty long but doesn't really tie in to the main plot though
Kasumi- Short but fun and gives you a nice new SMG to boot.
Arrival - Pretty shitty, just skip it.

Replaying the game on PC this time (instead of 360...I found a ME1 PC save that was similar to mine to use). I wanna play the DLC this time, but I keep getting errors when I try to buy "Bioware points" on their site.

By the way, making people buy "____ Points" instead of just letting us use our fucking regular money will always be lame.

UnluckyKate said:
I hate shotgun gunplay in everygame (but FEAR) and I'm tedious about the Vanguard class because of it's heavy oriented shotgun gunplay. In the other hand, charge seems so much fun...
I often use Charge coupled with an SMG or the Mattock Heavy Rifle, too. It's obviously made for shotguns, but those work pretty well, too.

Dany M said:

I'm playing as a Vanguard as well. Ran out of medigel on the platforms part and had to take on the last Scion and Harbinger alone with a shotgun but I made it after 3 tries. Honestly, Insanity is nowhere near as hard as I expected. Mass Effect on Hardcore was way more annoying than ME2 on any difficulty. I dread doing ME on Insanity.

Melchiah

One more question about ME1 on PC; can/should it be played with mouse & keyboard, or should I buy a controller? If the latter, I'm willing to take recommendations on what to purchase. ;)

With all the ME3 info getting released, I've went back for another playthough to satiate my ME craving. I think this will make for my seventh go at it.

ColonelColon said:
"Mass Effect (PC) CD Key

Error Code 102: Unable to verify CD Key as entered, please check key and try again."

:(
You might want to try EA support to get this sorted out.

Melchiah said:
One more question about ME1 on PC; can/should it be played with mouse & keyboard, or should I buy a controller? If the latter, I'm willing to take recommendations on what to purchase. ;)
It's intended to use M&K

Patryn

Melchiah said:

You'll have to mod it in order to work with a controller, and from what I hear, the mods that enable support aren't that great.

No, it makes no sense that it doesn't have native support, but whatever. Neither does ME2.

Top Bottom