• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Anno

Put in 17 hours over the last couple days playing this. I never played ME1 so I've stopped to smell all the roses and read all of the back story that I can get my hands on. So far it's probably the most compelling game I've played in a very long time. The very few loyalty missions I've done are all quite good and the voice acting is usually strong throughout. I can't wait to finish this playthrough and start another as male Shepard with a different class who's a bit more of an asshole...curious how different it can be.

Out of curiosity, who is everyone's favorite character?
Not sure if this needs spoiled? I'm gonna have to go with Mordin. I just finished his loyalty mission and it did a lot to flesh out the character. His voice acting is also very well done and very consistent. I'm continually impressed.

Basically, a growing part of me wishes that The Old Republic was a Mass Effect MMO.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anno said:
Not sure if this needs spoiled? I'm gonna have to go with Mordin. I just finished his loyalty mission and it did a lot to flesh out the character. His voice acting is also very well done and very consistent. I'm continually impressed.

Tali.

She's my waifu and I liked bailing her out in her loyalty mission. I had a stronger attachment to both of the ME1 return characters since I had been through a lot of shit with them already.

Patryn

Anno said:
Put in 17 hours over the last couple days playing this. I never played ME1 so I've stopped to smell all the roses and read all of the back story that I can get my hands on. So far it's probably the most compelling game I've played in a very long time. The very few loyalty missions I've done are all quite good and the voice acting is usually strong throughout. I can't wait to finish this playthrough and start another as male Shepard with a different class who's a bit more of an asshole...curious how different it can be.

Basically, a growing part of me wishes that The Old Republic was a Mass Effect MMO.

Wrex. If we're just counting ME2, then it's Mordin.

Lime

Snuggler said:
Tali.

She's my waifu and I liked bailing her out in her loyalty mission. I had a stronger attachment to both of the ME1 return characters since I had been through a lot of shit with them already.

Snuggler's biggest dream:

tumblr_ldphgfZwNx1qbmew7o1_500.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lime said:
Snuggler's biggest dream:

I'd buy that.

Cept I always roll Fem Shep so I haven't had the opporunity to tap that yet.

only in my dreams....

I close my eyes then I drift away
Into the magic night, I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you, Tali

Lime

Snuggler said:
I'd buy that.

Cept I always roll Fem Shep so I haven't had the opporunity to tap that yet.

only in my dreams....

You know, there is actually some indications of a Femshep-Tali love interest in ME2. It was pretty clear in some of the existing dialogue and people have found cut dialogue in the PC version, suggesting Femshep-Tali romance. There might still be hope for you.

Lime said:
You know, there is actually some indications of a Femshep-Tali love interest in ME2. It was pretty clear in some of the existing dialogue and people have found cut dialogue in the PC version, suggesting Femshep-Tali romance. There might still be hope for you.

ME 3 has same-sex partnerships so get ready for a femshep/tali future

Anticitizen One said:
ME 3 has same-sex partnerships so get ready for a femshep/tali future
Not sure if they'll retcon some of the previous characters to suddenly go gay, though, especially since Hudson announced there'll be new LI's after all.

Personally, I'm gonna have one playthrough where I did Ashley during ME1, Miranda during ME2, and whichever token hottie they have as a new LI during ME3. And then watch the shitstorm.

kai3345

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Not sure if they'll retcon some of the previous characters to suddenly go gay, though, especially since Hudson announced there'll be new LI's after all.

Personally, I'm gonna have one playthrough where I did Ashley during ME1, Miranda during ME2, and whichever token hottie they have as a new LI during ME3. And then watch the shitstorm.
They retconned Anders as gay in DA2

Hasphat'sAnts said:
There was no romance option Awakenings at all. Doesn't count as retcon
Technically, there's a line in Awakening where Anders mentions "wanting a pretty girl", but I guess a throwaway line like that could only arguably considered a retcon. However, Anders' sexuality in DA2 changes depending on the character you play as. If you're male, he's gay, but if you're female, he's apparently straight.

Overlord worth picking up? How about Arrival?

I freakin' love this game and Shadow Broker was great. Kasumi was alright...mostly just because Kasumi is awesome. I felt it was a little thin on content for being 7 bucks though.

Aspiring

Awww shit. My copy arrived today and was so excited. Opened the box to see that it is a "Classics" version, or Platinum Hits for US peeps. Needless to say i was pissed off as the website never mentioned anything of the sought, so i went down to the local shop and got a refund. Ordered the game through a different website that has the original packaging and should be here by Friday. What a pain in the ass, i just wanna play it!

MadraptorMan said:

I freakin' love this game and Shadow Broker was great. Kasumi was alright...mostly just because Kasumi is awesome. I felt it was a little thin on content for being 7 bucks though.

Overlord? Absolutely, it has a nice atmosphere, the story is pretty interesting, the Hammerhead is a really fun vehicle to use and this DLC has a pretty epic endgame.
Everything is computerized, reminiscent of Tron.

Patryn

MadraptorMan said:

Overlord, yes.

Arrival: Not very entertaining, but definitely has ramifications for ME3. Possibly worth playing just for that. Maybe.

Lime

Aspiring said:
Awww shit. My copy arrived today and was so excited. Opened the box to see that it is a "Classics" version, or Platinum Hits for US peeps. Needless to say i was pissed off as the website never mentioned anything of the sought, so i went down to the local shop and got a refund. Ordered the game through a different website that has the original packaging and should be here by Friday. What a pain in the ass, i just wanna play it!

Digital distribution?

Aspiring said:

If you "just want to play it", why does it matter what color the box art is?

Aspiring

HadesGigas said:
If you "just want to play it", why does it matter what color the box art is?

Lolyou sound like my wife! I have OCD with this stuff. Not platinum versions the look cheap. I need original cases. It's stupid but I am also so yeah.

Aspiring said:
Lolyou sound like my wife! I have OCD with this stuff. Not platinum versions the look cheap. I need original cases. It's stupid but I am also so yeah.
Don't worry, I'm the exact same way when it comes to games.

I passed on buying demon's souls two or three times now because I can't bring myself to order a greatest hits copy. I keep hoping I'll stumble across a normal version one day.

Joe Molotov

RoaringHawk said:
Just finished the Lair of The Shadow Broker mission.

Best mission so far. OMG at the scenery!

You should play the Overlord DLC if you haven't already.

"Geographic conditions indicate an aesthetically pleasing view nearby. Organic life forms may wish to take note."

Riposte

Patryn said:
Overlord, yes.

Arrival: Not very entertaining, but definitely has ramifications for ME3. Possibly worth playing just for that. Maybe.

I don't think playing it has any ramifications.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Riposte said:
I don't think playing it has any ramifications.

It's been confirmed that ME3 will partly start off with Shepherd on trial for something you did or didn't do in Arrival.

Joe Molotov

Sub_Level said:
It's been confirmed that ME3 will partly start off with Shepherd on trial for something you did or didn't do in Arrival.

But the game doesn't give you a choice, you have to do it, so it really doesn't matter whether you play it or not, other than for the story, which is not much.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about doing another run through Mass Effect 2 since I just got it for PC, and I was thinking about playing FEMShep for the first time in renegade alignment. Is it worth going through the game once with
The counsel being dead
? I'm not sure I would like it lol

Also is there any way to create a custom import save file from Mass Effect 1 to import into Mass Effect 2 with all of the choices you would have made? I remember some being posted when the game originally came out.

All I found was this site with other peoples game saves
http://www.masseffectsaves.com

Read all the entries in the Dossiers. :lol

I'll go for the Overlord missions next. Still got to recruit one more person and get the loyalty of 3 others.

40 awesome hours in! What a game!

Mr_Zombie

Trojita said:
Also is there any way to create a custom import save file from Mass Effect 1 to import into Mas Effect 2 with all of the choices you would have made? I remember some being posted when the game originally came out.

All I found was this site with other peoples game saves
http://www.masseffectsaves.com

There should be a save editor somewhere on that site, that allows you can change selected choices you made in ME1. Of course you will need a save file from the new game first.

Anno said:

Garrus. My bro for life in popping heads off dudes.

Garrus as best buddy, Liara as lover. That is my personal canon Shepard.

Of the ME2 squad, I love Mordin. Legion's pretty cool also. All the characters are great, but those are the ones I have the most interest or feel the deepest connection to.

Kasumi, too - I absolutely adored her (a lot is down to the voice, I think - spot on VA) and I really hope she shows up in ME3 for a bit somewhere.

Has there been anything said about needing to keep the ME2 DLC on your HDD for ME3? Like does it enhance your ME3 character, story, etc when you transfer your profile to ME3? I have it on my HDD but it's eating up a ton of space and I'm running out of room.

ToyMachine228 said:
Has there been anything said about needing to keep the ME2 DLC on your HDD for ME3? Like does it enhance your ME3 character, story, etc when you transfer your profile to ME3? I have it on my HDD but it's eating up a ton of space and I'm running out of room.

DLCs will set flags (ie - did you recruit Kasumi, Zaeed and did they live in case Bioware chooses to bring them back) as well as other decisions like what you did at the end of Overlord, if you did Shadow Broker (if not ME3 will probably assume Liara got to where she is alone) and so on.

Even Bring Down the Sky (ME1 Batarian DLC) had a small impact on ME2's news reports and such.

Those flags are all stored in your save, though. If you delete the DLC you won't be able to load your ME2 save in ME2 without downloading all of them again, but ME3 won't need that data - it'll just read what your decisions were from the save file. That's how it worked with Bring Down the Sky in ME1, at least.

APZonerunner said:
Those flags are all stored in your save, though. If you delete the DLC you won't be able to load your ME2 save in ME2 without downloading all of them again, but ME3 won't need that data - it'll just read what your decisions were from the save file. That's how it worked with Bring Down the Sky in ME1, at least.

Thanks, I'll assume ME2 to ME3 will be the same way and I'll delete the DLC. Can always download it again if I had to I suppose.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I just beat ME1 again in preperation for diving into ME2 for the very first time this weekend.

One thing I still don't get though: how are the Reapers returning? The whole point of those last Prothean scientists screwing with the Citadel was that now the Relay located there had to be activated manually, hence Sovereign's attack. Now that all thats stopped, how are the Reapers getting here? Flying in at sub-light speed? Well that gives us a few millenia to prepare I guess.

Patryn

The_Technomancer said:
So I just beat ME1 again in preperation for diving into ME2 for the very first time this weekend.

One thing I still don't get though: how are the Reapers returning? The whole point of those last Prothean scientists screwing with the Citadel was that now the Relay located there had to be activated manually, hence Sovreign's attack. Now that all thats stopped, how are the Reapers getting here? Flying in at sub-light speed? Well that gives us a few millenia to prepare I guess.

Play Arrival.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay wait...why did I die, just to get resurrected three minutes later? If I wanted to change my appearance, then why would I have imported a save, and if I started from scratch then why the hell would it matter?

Van Buren

The_Technomancer said:
Okay wait...why did I die, just to get resurrected three minutes later?
For the sake of your own sanity, do not pay the overall Mass Effect story any heed (never thought I'd be saying this for a narrative-driven series). ME2 butchers it in so many glorious ways that my head started to hurt when I finished the game and gathered my thoughts on why the events played out the way they did. Expect the consequences of your (binary) choices to be underwhelming too.

Play it for the same reason you play any Bioware game - certain character interactions.

Snuggler said:
Tali.

same here.

Garrus and Tali were my final squad members in the finale.
We succeeded once, we can do it again

Joe Molotov

The_Technomancer said:
Okay wait...why did I die, just to get resurrected three minutes later? If I wanted to change my appearance, then why would I have imported a save, and if I started from scratch then why the hell would it matter?

I think mainly it was an excuse to leap the narrative ahead a few years, and have everyone move on with their lives without Shepherd being around. Also it makes Shepherd indebted to Cerberus.

Still, yeah it was kind of a weird choice. They could have handled it better, like just had Shepherd go into hiding or be critically injured but not actually dead. It's kind of like using time travel in Star Trek. "Hey, if you have time travel why don't you just use it all the time, and fix everything bad that happens?" It cheapens it a little, makes it a little less meaningful when someone does die, because hey why can't we just use time travel/resurrection to bring them back to life.

They need the 'Cerberus brought Shepard back from the dead' plot device to justify the game's structure of having him run around doing what IM wants.

Also, remember that while you're jumping straight from one game to another, for people playing when it first came out it was a good way to allow tweaks to the face with the slightly better engine and get reminded of skills, etc.

Mr_Zombie

The_Technomancer said:
Now that all thats stopped, how are the Reapers getting here? Flying in at sub-light speed? Well that gives us a few millenia to prepare I guess.

They have a Plan C (or maybe that's Plan D, I'm already lost).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
FlashbladeGAF said:
same here.

Garrus and Tali were my final squad members in the finale.
We succeeded once, we can do it again

I had them be the people I trusted. Tali in the vents. Damn that was intense the first time since I was fighting to keep her alive. And Garrus leading the second squad. If only I had Liara and she'd be holding up the barrier but another blue berry did the job.

Piecake

Mister_Bubbles said:
They need the 'Cerberus brought Shepard back from the dead' plot device to justify the game's structure of having him run around doing what IM wants.

Also, remember that while you're jumping straight from one game to another, for people playing when it first came out it was a good way to allow tweaks to the face with the slightly better engine and get reminded of skills, etc.

They pretty much had to do something like that since they completely revamped the combat and class system. What if you played an engineer in ME1, but found out that it sucked/you hated it in ME2?

Mr_Zombie

Gonaria said:
They pretty much had to do something like that since they completely revamped the combat and class system. What if you played an engineer in ME1, but found out that it sucked/you hated it in ME2?
Wasn't "Lazarus Project" all about bringing Shepard completely as she/he was before death? No changes at all? Then if one of the project's side effect is that you can change your abilities, that means the project failed. Of course the same goes with changing your look. In the ideal world (or at least the one with no plot holes in ME2) you should not be able to change anything when importing your Shepard.

Mr_Zombie said:
Wasn't "Lazarus Project" all about bringing Shepard completely as she/he was before death? No changes at all? Then if one of the project's side effect is that you can change your abilities, that means the project failed. Of course the same goes with changing your look. In the ideal world (or at least the one with no plot holes in ME2) you should not be able to change anything when importing your Shepard.
Nobody also makes a remark about Shepard's changed appearance or class. It's basically just a stupid retcon device they could've just as easily avoided. Heck, ME3's going to have a similar system, hopefully without killing Shepard this time.

IoCaster

Gonaria said:

It would have been easy to just use the same 'corrupted data file' gimmick they used in ME. They could have made that a series staple for every ME game. Rebuilding your profile is an easy fix and allows the player to import a save and make the cosmetic/class changes they want right at the start. With that out of the way it's on with the show.

As was already pointed out they did it to set up the state of indentured servitude to Cerberus. There was no choice for Shepard and I found the available dialogue responses to TIM frustratingly petulant and moronic. It demeaned the player character and was a constant irritant while I was playing the game. I ended up ignoring the story and just playing for the combat. That part of the game was solid and loads of fun.

Top Bottom