• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, the Cerberus thing is my biggest irk with the story so far (already got Garrus and The Professor, just leaving Omega now). Its like they came up with the idea without thinking about the previous game at all and figured "oh well we'll just somehow patch the two together before deadline"

malfcn

Question about 2nd play through. What do I keep and lose? Do I lose all resources? I have 300k+ of all (Eezo ~80k). Should I max all upgrades or can I keep and use for next game?

Finished the game tonight finally. Definitely an all around better game than the first, even without even thinking about technical improvements.

Spent a few hours exploring new planets and mining before doing the final mission, thinking there would be an achievement for 100% exploration.. which there isn't. :( Oh well, got some sweet upgrades from all of the mined elements.

Probably has been asked before, but what determines
what characters die in the suicide mission
?

Wiggum2007

The_Technomancer said:
So I just beat ME1 again in preperation for diving into ME2 for the very first time this weekend.

One thing I still don't get though: how are the Reapers returning? The whole point of those last Prothean scientists screwing with the Citadel was that now the Relay located there had to be activated manually, hence Sovereign's attack. Now that all thats stopped, how are the Reapers getting here? Flying in at sub-light speed? Well that gives us a few millenia to prepare I guess.

Keep in mind that ships do have FTL travel even without using the relays (it's what you are seeing in ME1 with the Normandy when you see that loading screen with the funky blue/red distortion around your ship). It just isn't instantaneous like the relays, according to the codex most ships can travel roughly a dozen light-years in one day.

NoRéN

hey everyone. So I'm about to start Mass Effect 2 but would like to have all the DLC ready to go. I decided to check xbox.com for the list of stuff but could not find Lair of the Shadow Broker. Is this not available anymore?

Arjen

NoRéN said:
Thank you. I ended up searching on xbox live itself and sure enough, everything popped up.
So, with that out of the way, I'm getting the cerberus network, bought Lair of the Shadow Broker and Stolen Memory. Any DLC left?

Overlord

Ghost23

Just finished the game!
Miranda and Samara died for me during the last hold the line part of the game. They were also the only 2 people in my party that were not loyal. I was upset at first that they died, but now that I think about it, Miranda was the most annoying, self-centered person in the game. I'm actually glad she's dead. Does anyone feel the same way?

Joe Molotov

I bought all the DLC (except Genesis, but I don't even count that), and here's how I'd rate them in importance:

1. Lair of the Shadow Broker (the best)
2. Cerberus Network (probably would put this below Overlord if it wasn't for the Normandy Crash Site)
3. Overlord (the best, most fleshed out sidequest after Shadow Broker)
4. Kasumi (I didn't use Kasumi much, but I liked her loyalty mission at the fancy dress party)
5. Arrival (not bad, but not great either)
6. Firepower Pack (the Mattock Heavy Rifle is awesome)
7. Aegis Pack (good armor)
8. Equalizer Pack (I don't think I ever even used any of it).
9. Alternate Appearance Packs 1 & 2 (tbh, I didn't think there was a single costume that was better than the two that your characters already had)

Ghost23

I bought the game used, so I was not able to get a Cerberus network code or anything. I really don't want to waste the money for the code and all the DLC. The problem is that I hear the plots in the DLC are linked to ME3. Are any of the DLC packs necessary for the story? If so, can someone just give me a brief summary of how it connects with ME3?

Joe Molotov

FuzzyNorman said:
I bought the game used, so I was not able to get a Cerberus network code or anything. I really don't want to waste the money for the code and all the DLC. The problem is that I hear the plots in the DLC are linked to ME3. Are any of the DLC packs necessary for the story? If so, can someone just give me a brief summary of how it connects with ME3?

The Arrival is the only one confirmed to be connected to ME3 (although Lair of the Shadow Broker probably will be too). The ending of Arrival ties directly into the beginning of ME3.

Shepherd destroys a mass relay and 300,000 colonists along with it to stop the reapers from using it to enter our galaxy. At the beginning of ME3 is Shepherd on trial for that.

Gvaz

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
The Arrival is the only one confirmed to be connected to ME3 (although Lair of the Shadow Broker probably will be too). The ending of Arrival ties directly into the beginning of ME3.

Shepherd destroys a mass relay and 300,000 colonists along with it to stop the reapers from using it to enter our galaxy. At the beginning of ME3 is Shepherd on trial for that.
They were batarians, no one cares about those guys.

Arjen

FuzzyNorman said:

Please do get Shadow Broker, it's the best part of the game. Yes the best part of the entire game, it's that good.

Ghost23

Joe Molotov said:

If that is the case, Bioware has to recap at the beginning of ME3 to explain everything. Also, in the Lair of the Shadow Broker,
does Liara become the Shadow Broker? I also saw her in the ME3 videos so I'm assuming something happened during the DLC that reunited Shepherd and Liara.

EDIT: Do I need the cerberus network code for Lair of the Shadow Broker? I hate these "if you don't buy it new, you have to pay more for something you are already paying for"

FuzzyNorman said:
If that is the case, Bioware has to recap at the beginning of ME3 to explain everything. Also, in the Lair of the Shadow Broker,
does Liara become the Shadow Broker? I also saw her in the ME3 videos so I'm assuming something happened during the DLC that reunited Shepherd and Liara.

EDIT: Do I need the cerberus network code for Lair of the Shadow Broker? I hate these "if you don't buy it new, you have to pay more for something you are already paying for"

She becomes the Shadow Broker, yes.

In ME3 the team starts out scattered about handling their own problems (Like, Shepard is on earth with Anderson at some sort of trial related to the events of Arrival). So whatever happens with Liara that has her fight alongside Shepard again happens in ME3.

Not sure if this is old, but I just saw on the ME2 facebook posted a google maps snapshot of a road named after our favorite Commander.

Commander Shepard Boulevard, Hampton, VA

I tried typing this in to google maps and it really is there. :lol

254833_10150205489381645_85811091644_7257793_844395_n.jpg

RobertM

I don't mean to troll, but how do I get the best experience out of this game? It just feels like a poor cover based shooter with story elements; it's just not engaging enough for me to care about anyone or anything so far, and the planet scanning is so fucking mundane. Granted, I haven't played the first game so there might be some disconnect, but judging ME2 by itself on its own merits, it's kind of disappointing. I'm not sure where I supposed to go either, ugh.

RobertM said:
I don't mean to troll, but how do I get the best experience out of this game? It just feels like a poor cover based shooter with story elements; it's just not engaging enough for me to care about anyone or anything so far, and the planet scanning is so fucking mundane. Granted, I haven't played the first game so there might be some disconnect, but judging ME2 by itself on its own merits, it's kind of disappointing. I'm not sure where I supposed to go either, ugh.

That's pretty much all it is. I don't think I could have gotten in to it all if I had not played the first one.

Just be glad you didn't play the game at launch, they actually sped up the planet scanning through a patch.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RobertM said:
Yeah, that's basically the game. You'll probably have a better time with it for not having played the first, as the second game really screws with the events and themes of the first game in annoying way.

pje122

Any news on a chance for a Mass Effect 2 GOTY/Director's Cut edition with ALL included DLC and extras...? I would have thought it'd been announced by now...

pje122

pje122 said:
Any news on a chance for a Mass Effect 2 GOTY/Director's Cut edition with ALL included DLC and extras...? I would have thought it'd been announced by now...
Anyone have any idea...?

pje122

HadesGigas said:
The game has been $10 in lots of places lately, just buy that and then the DLC and it's your own GOTY edition for less than whatever MSRP they'd slap on a real one.

Also on Xbox the ME2 DLC might be on sale soon, since it's part of a "vote for the deal of the week" promotion on the dash and was winning last I checked.
Would I have to be a XBLA Gold Member in order to take advantage of this on-sale DLC...?

Samara

I kinda regret buying this on the PS3. There is some slow down almost on every level, Shepard slides on every cover (this was only during Jacobs mission on the 360)
Harbinger's death ray come out of nowhere, so Shepard gets up (even if there is no Harbinger, lol)

I really really don't want to but another 360, because it was the only game I played on it.

But, I've got a question, for the ME1 DLC on PSN, its the cerberus network, right?

Does anyone have trouble signing into his/her BioWare account?

I haven't logged in for a while and I forgot my password. And the "forgot my password" link isn't working. Is it just me?

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Does anyone have trouble signing into his/her BioWare account?

I haven't logged in for a while and I forgot my password. And the "forgot my password" link isn't working. Is it just me?

Check your email. Should have something from them about the NWN forum hack and a thing to reset your password...

Choabac

Playing through ME2 a second time through and I'm thinking about grabbing Lair of the Shadow Broker, but I thought I remember hearing that it could break your game if you got it at the wrong time during the main story.

Anyone know if it's ok to download if I hadn't yet done the Justicar mission or Miranda's loyalty quest?

EDIT - Read back a few pages. So I have to get the Justicar first and then do the DLC.

DTKT

littleworm said:
So what is the consensus on The Arrival DLC, is it worth the Microsoft points to get it?

To me, no, it's not really worth it. It's really a stripped down version of the core ME gameplay. You have no teammates, choices are meaningless.

Just read a summary somewhere and you are good to go.

Havok

littleworm said:
So what is the consensus on The Arrival DLC, is it worth the Microsoft points to get it?
No, you could youtube it and not lose anything but the achievements (the choice(s) are, in ME2 style, meaningless). Save the points for a good arcade game.

Top Bottom