• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bought it today (used, $15). Pretty good so far, but man...I can't remember anything from the 1st game. Shepards going in Blind this time!

Flunkie

Banned
Just beat this game, long after it was due. Really loved the ride, but couldn't help feeling that the ending was kind of anticlimactic. Is any of the DLC worth playing through at all?

More pumped for ME3 than ever, now. I'm gonna pick up the three books for a summer read.

Symphonic

Flunkie said:
Just beat this game, long after it was due. Really loved the ride, but couldn't help feeling that the ending was kind of anticlimactic. Is any of the DLC worth playing through at all?

More pumped for ME3 than ever, now. I'm gonna pick up the three books for a summer read.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is better than 50% of the main content.

Overlord is also fun for the unique hub structure. Kasumi's misson is great, and seeing as you've got quite a lot of DLC content to work through as well, might well be worth the money for the extra character. Hell, I'd even say give Arrival a blast, just because it'll get you in the mood for ME3 quite nicely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Flunkie said:

Shadow Broker is essential and a good contender for one of the best Mass Effect missions/story arcs in the series. Its also far more relevant to the games universe than most of Mass Effect 2.

Overlord is great, and arguably the longest of the DLC missions. Pretty by-the-books but has a solid story and good location variety.

Arrival is by far the most rubbish. Its short, bland, ugly and completely fails at being substantial bridging content.

Mulligan

Banned
Finally got around to picking this up on PS3 yesterday having never played any Mass Effect before. £10 new with the three DLC packs, couldn't pass on such an offer. Looking forward to delving into the universe tonight.

Flunkie said:
Is any of the DLC worth playing through at all?
It's short, but I felt the Kasumi DLC was pretty enjoyable. I don't know how much it is, but I would suggest looking into it.

Project Overlord is pretty nice too. It's probably shorter than kasumi, but there's so interesting things that are newer to the ME universe in it, visually.

Oh yeah, and Lair of the Shadow Broker is a must.

EatChildren said:
Arrival is by far the most rubbish. Its short, bland, ugly and completely fails at being substantial bridging content.
What?! You don't like "sneaking" and then fighting waves of enemies?! I've never heard such unbelievable things in my life!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Typographenia said:
What?! You don't like "sneaking" and then fighting waves of enemies?! I've never heard such unbelievable things in my life!

Oh its fantastic.

And yeah, Kasumi is wonderful, but also really, really short. I've said it before, but Kasumi's value hinges on how often you'll use her. Her loyalty mission is one of the best in the game, but due to its length will probably seem overpriced. If you intend to use Kasumi in other misisons, her value increases, especially since she's a really useful character.

Aegus said:
Anyone know if by buying the DLC on Xbox if I can download it on the PC?

You cant as far as I'm aware.

Plasma said:
Best thing about Arrival is the music.

This is true. All the DLC has really amazing music. Different composers to the main ME2 score too.

Aegus said:
Anyone know if by buying the DLC on Xbox if I can download it on the PC?
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
I can't confirm it for ME2, but I was being asked to repurchase dlc for my pc, despite owning it on my 360.

subversus said:

For the price of a couple of quid / dollars / etc, the music, a couple of sexy vistas and a plot point that directly leads onto the start of ME3 I'd say it's worth it unless you don't have a lot of money to throw around.

People act as if it's the worst thing to ever disgrace their monitors. It isn't.

Flunkie

Banned
Thanks guys. I'll check out Lair of the Shadow Broker first, then if I feel like more I'll grab Kasumi and Overlord, and if I feel like even more at that point I'll do Arrival. Doesn't Arrival "set up" ME3 though? And good music is always welcomed. I felt like ME1 music was better than ME2 music.

Flunkie said:
Doesn't Arrival "set up" ME3 though? And good music is always welcomed. I felt like ME1 music was better than ME2 music.
Well it does. But the novelty of it is kind of gone after the Game Informer and E3 news since they just say "yup the things that happened in arrival and that were going to happen after it will be the opening act of ME3".

Joe Molotov

Stallion Free said:
I fucking love Kasumi. Definitely my overall fav.

Fav quest, prolly fav character, sick music, sick art, sick cutscenes.

FemShep also gets a lovely little black dress to wear around the ship.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Joe Molotov said:

Yeah, that dress is classy. It should be available outside of the Normandy, too, I'd love to blast enemies in style.

But yeah, Shadow Broker is the best. It's probably better than any mission in ME2, it has a decent amount of variety and some of the locations are prettier than anything in the vanilla game, particularly the short segment outside of the Shadowbroker's ship. Plus, it was nice to see my girl Liara again, I chose to hold out for her this time. Garrus's balls are probably as blue as his armor, but he can deal with it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Flunkie said:
Seems like nobody likes Ashley. I, for one, kind of really like her.

I always play as FemShep, so she is of little use to me! She's just the girl who I choose over Carth every time I play ME1. Hopefully she has a decent loyalty mission in ME3 so she can get a little more screen time. I'm not a huge fan of Ashley but she's still better than any of the other non-DLC human squad members.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Snuggler said:
I always play as FemShep, so she is of little use to me! She's just the girl who I choose over Carth every time I play ME1. Hopefully she has a decent loyalty mission in ME3 so she can get a little more screen time. I'm not a huge fan of Ashley but she's still better than any of the other non-DLC human squad members.
I ended up saving her in ME1 mainly because I needed a combat tank. Sorry Alenko, but I just didn't need another biotic.

Flunkie said:
Doesn't Arrival "set up" ME3 though? And good music is always welcomed. I felt like ME1 music was better than ME2 music.
It sorta does, but save yourself the time and just find a walkthrough and watch the last ten minutes or so. That's all you really need to know from it.

Flunkie said:
I really like Ashely's character, and she was my original romance. I'm almost done with my lvl60 import run of ME2 and I'm going all Tali with that one. Still, I look forward to seeing what exactly comes about in my original save having been unfaithful to Ashely. She'll probably beat me up. : (

Flunkie said:

i hate her guts, purposefully let her die in the first game \o/ goddamn racist alien-hater. i'm so glad i don't have to deal with her in ME2.

umm so hey guys, can you tell me at what point is it appropriate to play LotSB? should i finish the main story first..?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Stallion Free said:
I like Ashley too. Fuck Kaiden.
Kaiden and Jack both seem to be attempts at somehow addressing the moral ambiguity of the whole "biotics" thing and how its treated among ME civilization. Its just that they're both way to far on either side of the spectrum.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
astroturfing said:
umm so hey guys, can you tell me at what point is it appropriate to play LotSB? should i finish the main story first..?

It doesn't really matter. It probably just swaps a few lines of dialog regarding the collectors/suicide mission. I played it before finishing the main story and it was fine.

astroturfing said:
You can play it at any point, but I highly recommend saving it until you "beat" me2. It feels much more logical approaching it after the main events of the game have concluded.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The_Technomancer said:
Kaiden and Jack both seem to be attempts at somehow addressing the moral ambiguity of the whole "biotics" thing and how its treated among ME civilization. Its just that they're both way to far on either side of the spectrum.
That's an excellent point.

Joe Molotov

astroturfing said:

I played it after meeting Liara in the game and completing her side missions.

Flunkie

Banned
Can I New Game+ with a different class? Soldier got really boring, and I really liked hotkeying the Slam ability to a thumbkey on my mouse. Pushing/pulling on the two thumbkeys would be awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Flunkie said:
Can I New Game+ with a different class? Soldier got really boring, and I really liked hotkeying the Slam ability to a thumbkey on my mouse. Pushing/pulling on the two thumbkeys would be awesome.

You can only NG+ with the same class.

...which is why I never go with NG+, I need a little variety between playthroughs.

MrMephistoX

EatChildren said:
Oh its fantastic.

And yeah, Kasumi is wonderful, but also really, really short. I've said it before, but Kasumi's value hinges on how often you'll use her. Her loyalty mission is one of the best in the game, but due to its length will probably seem overpriced. If you intend to use Kasumi in other misisons, her value increases, especially since she's a really useful character.

You cant as far as I'm aware.

This is true. All the DLC has really amazing music. Different composers to the main ME2 score too.
Plus you get a very functional SMG even if your class doesnt allow it. Kasumi adds a lot of humerous color commentary if you use her as well which is nice. Just decided to switch to the PS3 version over 360 and am enjoying it a lot. For some reason I just prefer the softer lighting and slightly enhanced visuals.

The_Technomancer said:
How it's treated by humanity you mean. Every alien race in the galaxy already dealt with biotics and moved on. For humanity it's still another avenue of military applications to explore, like AI research.

I just double dipped on this to the PS3 version, since I'm intending on getting ME3 on PS3. Nice to actually play the DLC stuff too. I love Kasumi, I hope she's in ME3 too.

Did the Project Overlord missions, but damn again I hated that Hammerhead stuff. And it never tells you how to pick up those data packages. I had to google that. And those damned turrets. And is it me, or was the ground texture there really PS1-ish up close to the camera? Other than that, great DLC.

Also, I'm a Femshep player too :)

MrMephistoX

Android18a said:
I just double dipped on this to the PS3 version, since I'm intending on getting ME3 on PS3. Nice to actually play the DLC stuff too. I love Kasumi, I hope she's in ME3 too.

Did the Project Overlord missions, but damn again I hated that Hammerhead stuff. And it never tells you how to pick up those data packages. I had to google that. And those damned turrets. And is it me, or was the ground texture there really PS1-ish up close to the camera? Other than that, great DLC.

Also, I'm a Femshep player too :)
Noticed that odd visual glitch too and am kinda surprised it wasn't patched. Overlord was awesome overall though can't wait to try Shadow Broker.

Feature

Banned
Wow, I tried to play this game on my PC but couldn't get into it, got bored of it right away.
But I just had to give it another try seeing as a shitload of people are calling this their favourite game and "game of the forever"...

So now I got it on my PS3 and made myself play longer than 30 minutes and now I can't put this game down.

I've got a couple of questions though:

- What can I do with the stuff I mine from planets (with those beacons)
- Is it normal I haven't found any element zero yet (if the answer is a spoiler, please don't answer this one)
- Is my squad always limited to 2 people + myself?

I also recruited:
a girl thief that can warp allover the place
She's fucking beast, she's always on my squad now.

I'm also going the badass route, being mean to everyone and just not giving a fuck about anyone else but myself :) I love it!

Mr_Zombie

Feature said:
- What can I do with the stuff I mine from planets (with those beacons)
You use it to buy upgrades for your ship/guns/armors. You do this by entering a terminal in the laboratory (the room where
Mordin
stays).

- Is it normal I haven't found any element zero yet (if the answer is a spoiler, please don't answer this one)
Element Zero is a rare mineral, so you just have to keep looking for it. There are planets where there's plenty of it, though.

- Is my squad always limited to 2 people + myself?
There are few missions where you're alone and one mission (DLC) where you only have one partner for few minutes.

Feature

Banned
okay thanks for your reply!

I presume your answer to my last question means there wont ever be 3 or more people on my team right?

I'm loving the game for now, game has lots of set pieces that you'll only find in boss sections in other games.

Melchiah

Joe Molotov said:

The funny thing about it is, that the game obviously wasn't meant to be played with the dress on. Try to talk to Garrus or Samara inside the Normandy, and see the awkward poses (and graphical glitches) your Shepard gives when she sits down. =)

LowParry

Other than Shadow Broker, are the other two DLC worth getting or should I just roll with this and wait till 3 comes out.

FLEABttn

Banned
Flunkie said:

I just didn't find her all that compelling as a character in the first game. I don't hate her, but the only real positive remark I can say about her was at least she wasn't Kaiden.

Ccrook said:
Other than Shadow Broker, are the other two DLC worth getting or should I just roll with this and wait till 3 comes out.

I found them worth it, ymmv.

I'm doing a second insanity playthrough right now with a male shepard (was female before). Only reason is that I don't like fem-sheps potential love interests.

Was really fun playing as fem-shep though, I will miss her :(

thechemist

Just got a question, playing this on PS3 is there any issue with playing any of the DLC early on in the game, i.e. recruiting zaeed/kasumi or the going to normandy crash site, etc?

Thanks.

Top Bottom