• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

I think the Batarian soldier looks pretty fun. The 3-hit melee combo (as well as the powerful heavy melee attack) make him good up close. And the spike arm power is pretty cool. And I like how the blade armor does damage to enemies who try to melee you. Will be interesting if it will stop phantom attacks. Will he be a gold-tier character? Prolly not, but he seems like a fun character to play on Bronze/Silver. Remember: Not every character needs to be gold-tier.

From what I've seem, he's already leagues better than both the human and Turian soldier! But considering how bad both are, that's not too surprising.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, what maneuverability options do Geth have? If the enemies have rolls, I at least want a forward or back one, not just that sidestep.

exYle

Was it in the video? I started to watch but then my eyes started glazing over once I saw the length, haha. What's their melee system like? It can't possibly compare to Krogan though, right?

I think the ability to roll is based on the race, not the class (although that may be what you were already getting at). Like if they came out with an Asari Sentinel she should be able to glide around still.

Batarians swing their weapons like bats, so I'm assuming that does more damage than regular melee. Their heavy melee is also considerably slower than most (think Asari heavy melee speed, but singular target), and it seems to hit way harder.

Yeah, I was making a comment on the race. Batarians are basically humans with funny heads, so they should be able to roll. Krogans and Turians both have humps/protrusions from their back, so rolling should be practically impossible for them. At this points, it's more of an observation of class than race.

Current small maps, movement problems due to cover system and tons of ranged and instakill melee moves make any attempt at a melee class without spamhard invunerability just impossible.

You need to do melee like Killing Floor to make it worthwhile. Except nearly everything is melee in KF. In ME3, everything has guns. Batarians needs stuff like improved move speed, no stagger, no instakill, faster melee, aoe heavy melee. Stuff like that. And a fucking dodge.

Man, if only.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Have BW ever explained why Turians and now Batarians have no combat dodge? Turians even have the evades when they move between cover. It just makes no sense.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I want Cerberus Combat Engineer as a new class. Four of those on one team would turn this into a tower defense game. :)

Omega

Banned
And do you know why they feel that way? They feel that way because that is how the game mechanics work. That is why you see people putting 0 points in fitness if it can get them a smidgin more DPS.

It is about majoring in damage and minoring in crowd control, the rest is chaff. Killing everything as quickly as possible is the shortest path between points A and B.

The mechanics work that way because that's how they built the characters. Aside from Salarian Engineer, there is no "support" class. Even then, they pretty much are only effective against Geth.

I see the Asari Justicar being much more viable as that support class against Cerberus/Reapers with her biotic dome. Play with an Asari Adept to just spam throw while Justicar spams Reave. That's what people do anyway with Drell/Asari. Only difference is the Justicar has that dome which sounds like it'll be really useful for objective rounds.

Dreamer RD

Considering i did play alone with another salarian engineer late yesterday and both our decoys kept geths busy... i dont think so. Are you sure the Primes didnt see you casting Decoy?

Unless they really did something after releasing the new maps, which i have yet to play.

Sometimes it's impossible to cast it without getting seen. Maybe Decoy doesnt work on Combat drones and Geth turrets?

exYle

I now have zero interest in the new classes, what a downer. Back to human shotgun infiltrator.

Geth Infiltrator seems right up your alley, from what I see.

Wait, what maneuverability options do Geth have? If the enemies have rolls, I at least want a forward or back one, not just that sidestep.

I'm assuming the Geth will have the exact same maneuverability as Salarians and Quarians - forward/backward rolls and sidesteps.

Have BW ever explained why Turians and now Batarians have no combat dodge? Turians even have the evades when they move between cover. It just makes no sense.

I mentioned this earlier, but Turians have their hood which would make it uncomfortable, if not impossible to roll forwards. Batarians make no sense, so I'm guessing they only can't roll because the other Soldiers/Sentinels, Krogans and Turians, can't roll either.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The mechanics work that way because that's how they built the characters. Aside from Salarian Engineer, there is no "support" class. Even then, they pretty much are only effective against Geth.

I see the Asari Justicar being much more viable as that support class against Cerberus/Reapers with her biotic dome. Play with an Asari Adept to just spam throw while Justicar spams Reave. That's what people do anyway with Drell/Asari. Only difference is the Justicar has that dome which sounds like it'll be really useful for objective rounds.

It isn't how they've built the characters, it is the game mechanics only further reinforced by the reward system.

You have to kill to win and killing faster means more money.

For a support character to work in this system it would have to buff the damage of the entire team while still having great base damage itself, to the point where it would make more sense to pick that class than another damage dealer. They could make a class like that---but then you'd just have four of them on every team.

Support classes are generally there to help you survive what would otherwise wipe your team. Those 'surprises' don't really exist in this game, and when they do happen anybody can use a medigel. Instead you've got teams who know exactly what they're facing, exactly what they'll have to deal with, and they build for pure DPS so that they can chew it up as quick as possible, which also happens to yield the best rewards---both per match and by allowing you to play as many matches as possible in a given period of time. We're not just talking DPS, we're talking CPS(Credits Per Second).

The reward system goes out of its way to punish the more flexible, support-oriented builds.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think the Batarian soldier looks pretty fun. The 3-hit melee combo (as well as the powerful heavy melee attack) make him good up close. And the spike arm power is pretty cool. And I like how the blade armor does damage to enemies who try to melee you. Will be interesting if it will stop phantom attacks. Will he be a gold-tier character? Prolly not, but he seems like a fun character to play on Bronze/Silver. Remember: Not every character needs to be gold-tier.

From what I've seem, he's already leagues better than both the human and Turian soldier! But considering how bad both are, that's not too surprising.

Your tiers shouldnt be based on whether your new class wont completely drag down his team or not. Thats a problem with balance.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I mentioned this earlier, but Turians have their hood which would make it uncomfortable, if not impossible to roll forwards. Batarians make no sense, so I'm guessing they only can't roll because the other Soldiers/Sentinels, Krogans and Turians, can't roll either.
They should at least let turians Max Payne jump. Garrus has reach, for heaven's sake.

Batarians swing their weapons like bats, so I'm assuming that does more damage than regular melee. Their heavy melee is also considerably slower than most (think Asari heavy melee speed, but singular target), and it seems to hit way harder.

Gotcha, thanks for that. Yeah, it seems like it might be limited still... maybe if Blade Armor doesn't gimp power usage too much then it'd be a much more viable class.

Yeah, I was making a comment on the race. Batarians are basically humans with funny heads, so they should be able to roll. Krogans and Turians both have humps/protrusions from their back, so rolling should be practically impossible for them. At this points, it's more of an observation of class than race.

Word, good points all around. For Turians I just figured it was a stockier race, hence no rollls... the protrusion angle makes a lot more sense.

It isn't how they've built the characters, it is the game mechanics only further reinforced by the reward system.

You have to kill to win and killing faster means more money.

For a support character to work in this system it would have to buff the damage of the entire team while still having great base damage itself, to the point where it would make more sense to pick that class than another damage dealer. They could make a class like that---but then you'd just have four of them on every team.

Support classes are generally there to help you survive what would otherwise wipe your team. Those 'surprises' don't really exist in this game, and when they do happen anybody can use a medigel. Instead you've got teams who know exactly what they're facing, exactly what they'll have to deal with, and they build for pure DPS so that they can chew it up as quick as possible, which also happens to yield the best rewards---both per match and by allowing you to play as many matches as possible in a given period of time. We're not just talking DPS, we're talking CPS(Credits Per Second).

The reward system goes out of its way to punish the more flexible, support-oriented builds.

TRUTH

Cat Party

Saw this on the BioWare boards from Chris Priestley:

Hi Everyone

The new Maps are now live, but we’re currently dealing with an internal server that’s gone down. As soon as we can resolve that, the new Resurgence content will become available in the Reinforcement Packs.

The new weapons and races are on the way. I'll post an update as soon as I have one. Thanks for your patience.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...ng-a-delay-in-new-weaponskits-11250707-1.html

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't know if I agree that support doesn't have a place in this game, round speed is as much defined by how often people people need reviving as how quickly you can kill the enemies and as an Asari Adept you can use Warp & Throw and get higher DPS but you kill things much quicker if you stasis bubble the choke points and dangerous enemies and your team mates take the kills while you're recharging.

I think it's easy to believe you're doing best by your team by killing things as quickly as possible but it isn't always true, just like any good factory, you need to keep everything flowing smoothly.

X-Frame

I don't know if I agree that support doesn't have a place in this game, round speed is as much defined by how often people people need reviving as how quickly you can kill the enemies and as an Asari Adept you can use Warp & Throw and get higher DPS but you kill things much quicker if you stasis bubble the choke points and dangerous enemies and your team mates take the kills while your recharging.

I think it's easy to believe you're doing best by your team by killing things as quickly as possible but it isn't always true, just like any good factory, you need to keep everything flowing smoothly.

This is true. When I used the Falcon X with Cryo Ammo I was staggering groups of enemies and although this wasn't killing them this kept all enemies back, staggered, chilled, and open for my team to unload on them.

The games I used the Falcon X on Firebase White were a cakewalk.

This is true. When I used the Falcon X with Cryo Ammo I was staggering groups of enemies and although this wasn't killing them this kept all enemies back, staggered, chilled, and open for my team to unload on them.

The games I used the Falcon X on Firebase White were a cakewalk.

I'm impressed you've got your Falcon up to X! I think my highest gold weapon right now is my GPS at VI.

X-Frame

Never used that gun, also have it at level X. It staggers enemies even on Gold?

Yes, even Primes. Haven't tried it against Cerberus or Reapers though so someone else can comment its usefulness against Atlas's, Brutes, etc.

Just be sure to fire slowly. I mean like 1 shot every second or two. It's goal is staggering, not overall damage. If you fire too quickly and are not the host you'll fire blanks sometimes.

I also heard using Disruptor Ammo on the Falcon against the Geth is even more devastating.

I'm impressed you've got your Falcon up to X! I think my highest gold weapon right now is my GPS at VI.

I have quite a few X rare weapons from a good amount of Premium Spectre packs. They really were good to me. I rarely got a character card and if I did it was an Uncommon one which didn't take up a rare item spot.

SaberVulcan

Yes, even Primes. Haven't tried it against Cerberus or Reapers though so someone else can comment its usefulness against Atlas's, Brutes, etc.

Just be sure to fire slowly. I mean like 1 shot every second or two. It's goal is staggering, not overall damage. If you fire too quickly and are not the host you'll fire blanks sometimes.

I also heard using Disruptor Ammo on the Falcon against the Geth is even more devastating.

I have quite a few X rare weapons from a good amount of Premium Spectre packs. They really were good to me. I rarely got a character card and if I did it was an Uncommon one which didn't take up a rare item spot.

I hate your luck.

The Premium Spectre packs got me up to a Kraal Spike Thrower VI, fully colored Krogan Sentinel, Krogan Soldier, and Drell Adept. On top of that, my only new weapons were shotguns (which I have 9 of) and that rare SMG.

i only played like three or four matches a long time ago so i'm going to have to grind out a lot of credits to unlock the geth infiltrator :((((

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hate your luck.

The Premium Spectre packs got me up to a Kraal Spike Thrower VI, fully colored Krogan Sentinel, Krogan Soldier, and Drell Adept. On top of that, my only new weapons were shotguns (which I have 9 of) and that rare SMG.

I just want a new pistol. All i have is Predator IX, Arc Pistol III and Phalanx I, and i've been using Phalanx I for weeks. Arc Pistol is too heavy for my asari adept and salarian engineer. :(

Then i see people with less than 100 N7 rating with a Carnifex VI. Bah!

SaberVulcan

I just want a new pistol. All i have is Predator IX, Arc Pistol III and Phalanx I, and i've been using Phalanx I for weeks. Arc Pistol is too heavy for my asari adept and salarian engineer. :(

Then i see people with less than 100 N7 rating with a Carnifex VI. Bah!

:(. I have a Paladin I, Carnifex III, Arc I, Predator IV. Paladin hits like a train but so much heavier then Carnifex.

Now I feel better about my luck <3.

X-Frame

Just spam Recruit Packs to easily and very cheaply get the Predator, Mantis, Shuriken, Katana, and Avenger to X.

For Phalanx you're best bet is the Veteran Packs until you get X. You'll also be leveling up good guns like the Mattock as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just spam Recruit Packs to easily and very cheaply get the Predator, Mantis, Shuriken, Katana, and Avenger to X.

For Phalanx you're best bet is the Veteran Packs until you get X. You'll also be leveling up good guns like the Mattock as well.

I know, but im not sure if i should keep buying spectre packs hoping to see a Carnifex, or buy the cheaper veteran packs to get a higher Phalanx faster.

Anyway, if they really make a new pack for the new multiplayer stuff, i guess i wont bother with veteran and spectre at all for a while.

bPod

Sorry to stray off topic but what's the connection with multiplayer and single player when you promote one of your guys who have levelled up to 20?

Omega

Banned
Sorry to stray off topic but what's the connection with multiplayer and single player when you promote one of your guys who have levelled up to 20?

Not sure if this answers your question, but you just get 75 points for your war assets.

Which in the end doesn't mean anything..so yeah

DarkKyo

BioWare Rep on the BioWare Social Network said:
"Restart your game and go happy purchasing, spectre packs are now giving out new characters, equipment, and guns from the resurgance pack"

Cool, looks like you can get em now.

Word on the BioWare forums are that on Resurgence Packs are up. Go get 'em, guys! And let us know whatcha get.

So jelly for all of you that can play right now -- gotta wait until works ends! *tear*

Giard

BioWare said:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 10, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adrenaline Rush Power
- Evolution 1 damage reduction increased from 25% to 40%
- Evolution 5 shield recharge increased from 50% to 100% of base shields

Not a lot this week (besides the dlc of course)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it, I'm gonna get started on some Spectres.

Geth Plasma SMG in my first one.

Aquila

Ugh, I just bought six Spectre packs with my hoarded credits and only got the claymore and some GSP upgrades. Anybody online want to try out the new maps or play some gold? XBL: Wraith OO

Nori Chan

Just saw this on the bioware forums
DNAqg.jpg

39 seconds duration?

milkham

i wasn't too mad this morning when i blew all my credits but finding out its all just in regular spectre packs anyway just feels like added insult

Mindlog

Resurgence content is now part of the spectre packs! Also stay tuned for a special resurgence only reinforcement pack soon.
D'aw beaten
Fine print!

I'll wait until those hit. Probably at the same time they always arrive. I managed to get a map of Hydra in. I like it a lot. Then the host and someone else dropped. However, the Quarian Infiltrator stayed. We managed to take silver geth. Fun times.

Claymore Infiltrator is so much fun. I really hope I get Geth Infiltrator.

Top Bottom