• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have it, from my first prenium spectre pack. I have to say... I'm confused.

Hunter vision is really a double edge. Turret seems worthless, as both offensive and defensive (it's really not causing enough damage or resisting/distracting enough)

You spam overload in hunter vision and use you turret to give shields. Thats all you do.

You should thank him for paying for the dlc for us.

Like it's been stated before, the DLC is free most likely as A) an olive branch for the controversy from the Prothean DLC and terrible ending or B) in order to not fracture the player base. Most likely a combination of the two.

It has nothing to do with a completely voluntary paid option.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Like it's been stated before, the DLC is free most likely as A) an olive branch for the controversy from the Prothean DLC and terrible ending or B) in order to not fracture the player base. Most likely a combination of the two.

You can't tell that for sure.

You can't tell that for sure.

Considering the amount of heat that Bioware/EA got for both of those incidents, then yeah, it's by far the most significant reason.

Compare it with the fact that numerous games/companies have released the first multiplayer DLC for games for free as well.

Now, can you name games/DLC that have been released because the user base funded it entirely through an unrelated in-game paid purchase?

Edit: For the record, I'm not denying that adding more unlockables helps their bottom line since they're accessible behind a paid option. However, the goodwill (legitimate economic term) gained from the free DLC is far, far more valuable because of the *massive* heat they've generated from those two incidents (so much heat that they had to release a company statement defending the development process for the Prothean DLC, then go straight into releasing a patch for a new ending for a 5-year old massive video game trilogy).

And if you've paid attention to the news, ME3 sold decently well (about 1.4mm) but not as well as they wanted. So yes, trying to rebuild that goodwill with the player base is far more significant than a couple bucks here and there.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the amount of heat that Bioware/EA got for both of those incidents, then yeah, it's by far the most significant reason.

Compare it with the fact that numerous games/companies have released the first multiplayer DLC for games for free as well.

Now, can you name games/DLC that have been released because the user base funded it entirely through an unrelated in-game paid purchase?

The in-game paid purchases are entirely related in this case. New batch of items, buying the packs gives you a shot at those. People who might have been burned out on the old items have a new incentive to buy the packs. The maps themselves are not super related but are again an extra hook to get you to keep playing the multiplayer and thus upping the chance of investing in the packs.

I'm not denying the value of goodwill as well and lord knows they need it. I'm just saying there's no way to know for sure what the original plan for this was. They could have adapted their original plans, but this feels like an equally valid business model.

The in-game paid purchases are entirely related in this case. New batch of items, buying the packs gives you a shot at those. People who might have been burned out on the old items have a new incentive to buy the packs. The maps themselves are not super related but are again an extra hook to get you to keep playing the multiplayer and thus upping the chance of investing in the packs.

Check my edit.

Here's the perfect article to illustrate my case:

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/72718/ea-set-to-release-mass-effect-dlc

Note it takes the view from the financial angle, not a game journalist site:

However, the latest version faced severe criticism because of its inconclusive ending. The new DLC expands the story of the original game, adding a new dimension to the ending; and EA hopes that it will be able to woo back dissatisfied customers.

However, some gamers remain dissatisfied with the continuous launch of DLCs, as they believe that DLCs are being used by gaming companies such as EA to exploit them. They have blamed video game companies of intentionally holding back game content, which they later on release as DLCs to garner additional revenues. Most recently, EA was voted the worst American company of 2012, apparently for these practices in an annual contest organized by the Consumerist.com.

Although this negative publicity may hurt EA’s subscriber base, we nonetheless believe that EA will continue to launch DLCs of its popular franchises going forward. We believe that EA’s high-quality titles and a robust product pipeline along with the increasing online exposure and traction in the social and mobile gaming market will not only offset any near-term dissatisfaction among its subscribers, but will also boost top-line growth over the long term.

Note how often dissatisfaction from the userbase is referenced in the article, and one of the primary reasons is the release of DLC to nickel-and-dime the players. Well, now look at all the recent articles from various news sites praising EA for offering *free* DLC.... thus raising the reputation of the game and the company in the eyes of the consumer.

This is goodwill, and it's extremely important after the massive, massive heat that EA and Bioware has experienced recently.

Kyari

C) So that people will continue to spend money on packs.

Chocobro

I felt like a badass last night on GGW. Sadly I was playing with randoms and we were up to the objective wave, indoctrination devices, and the rest died after disabling one. I was playing as a SE and I planted decoys on the opposite walls of the devices allowing me to disable. Clutched it :O then we all died next wave lmao

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the perfect article to illustrate my case:

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/72718/ea-set-to-release-mass-effect-dlc

Note it takes the view from the financial angle, not a game journalist site:

Note how often dissatisfaction from the userbase is referenced in the article, and one of the primary reasons is the release of DLC to nickel-and-dime the players. Well, now look at all the recent articles from various news sites praising EA for offering *free* DLC.... thus raising the reputation of the game and the company in the eyes of the consumer.

This is goodwill, and it's extremely important after the massive, massive heat that EA and Bioware has experienced recently.

I am not disagreeing with any of this. But like you are arguing how this is purely done for goodwill and has the added benefit of helping overal booster pack sales I am also entertaining the possibility that the primary objective was pack sales and it has the added benefit of helping foster goodwill.

Posted this without a response last time, new page:

What do weapon ranks do exactly?

I've deduced they reduce weight and increase spare shots at the very least. Is that it? Is it different per class?

There was also a second Resurgence DLC pack released for 320 Microsoft Points that they were quick to tell gamers to avoid downloading while they work on removing it from the marketplace.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There was also a second Resurgence DLC pack released for 320 Microsoft Points that they were quick to tell gamers to avoid downloading while they work on removing it from the marketplace.

Ok that lends credence to them changing strategies. I'm hoping however this sets a precendence for future expansions being alos free if this one shows a healthy boost in both playtime and money earned from booster packs.

No point in charging for multiplayer DLC. The game doesn't have the player base of CoD and frankly multiplayer could be the only reason why people are still holding onto their copies (EA probably wants less used copies floating around). Plus with the Extended Cut being free, it would look pretty bad if EA/Bioware went "free single-player DLC, but those who play multiplayer have to pay for additional content".

For the weekend XP bonus, what if you select "unknown location" (and get one of the new locations)? Does that bonus stack?

Kyari

You can get all the items from packs without paying a dime.... it's an entirely optional choice.

Invest Time or invest Money... both are entirely valid and neither side is discriminated against.

I said nothing to indicate that wasn't the case. Fact of the matter is that people ARE still dropping money on packs and adding a bunch of new stuff gives those people incentive to keep doing so.

Posted this without a response last time, new page:

What do weapon ranks do exactly?

I've deduced they reduce weight and increase spare shots at the very least. Is that it? Is it different per class?

Coming from a studio that specializes in RPG's, I find it kinda preposterous there's no user-facing stats for the weapon levels.

Even if it was something like +5% damage, +5% spare ammo...anything, really!

While you're on this topic, what's the best way to use an Asari Vanguard?

Stasis Bubble Maxed
Biotic Charge maxed
Rest however you want.

Spam hard on Stasis, stay with team, biotic charge into enemies that are close, play as tank when doing so. Never, ever, solo play away from your team (i.e. don't biotic charge across the map into a cluster of enemies)..

Lothars

Anybody else having freezing issues after downloading today's patch?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer-Discussion-/My-Xbox-keeps-freezing-thanks-to-that-stupid-update-11303259-1.html

Two of my friends are having the same problem.
Skilloton said:
Read one of the links posted in the OP, and it looks like it's just as simple as keeping the option for Auto Log-In to Origin (EA) on. Started my game up, got the patch, loaded the main menu just fine. Dunno why it would be off, I figure EA never thought about including a test for it being off either.

So if for some reason you don't have it on, clear your cache, choose not to download the update, put the Auto Log-In option to On, go back to Dashboard and boot it up again and accept the update and you're good to go.
I took Skilloton post from the other thread but it sounds like that helps fix it if your having issues.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So can you do Biotic Charge into Biotic Barrier discharge to make a biotic explosion?

Got a Krogan Battlemaster, already started speccing him but I want to know if that's what the plan is supposed to be with him.

Melchiah

just saw a guy with a geth smg X. probably one of the dudes who used cash to unlock the new stuff, heh.

Was it a Turian sentinel? It might have been me. =) I bought one premium pack, as I had only a few hundred points, and was disappointed it had a new weapon, instead of a new character. The Geth SMG was pretty fun to use though.

You can get all the items from packs without paying a dime.... it's an entirely optional choice.

Invest Time or invest Money... both are entirely valid and neither side is discriminated against.

I stand pretty much in the latter party, although it somewhat pains me to give any money to EA/Bioware after the ending fiasco, but life is full of bad choices.

I am not disagreeing with any of this. But like you are arguing how this is purely done for goodwill and has the added benefit of helping overal booster pack sales I am also entertaining the possibility that the primary objective was pack sales and it has the added benefit of helping foster goodwill.

That's fair and entirely possible. I don't agree, but both arguments have merit.

I do want to say though, note the first post that started this argument, where I was responding to HK-47's comment about thanking someone for "paying for the DLC for the rest of us." My primary position is refuting that particular comment, not trying to determine the exact split on whether the DLC is because of paid packs or goodwill.

I said nothing to indicate that wasn't the case. Fact of the matter is that people ARE still dropping money on packs and adding a bunch of new stuff gives those people incentive to keep doing so.

Word, I hear you and agree with everything. I just noticed that 'C)' in your original post indicating that "in addition to" instead of "as the primary reason."

I stand pretty much in the latter party, although it somewhat pains me to give any money to EA/Bioware after the ending fiasco, but life is full of bad choices.

Hey, it's not a bad choice if it gives you more time to do other things as well, right?

Striker gun is pretty worthless : when shot in rapid fire, you don't have any visual feedback of the grenades shooting or exploding upon impact.

Very underwelming. As much as it's weight and recoil.

Kyari

Its pretty smart on BioWare's end really. Hopefully enough people will continue to spend money on packs that they will keep adding new races/classes.

Its pretty smart on BioWare's end really. Hopefully enough people will continue to spend money on packs that they will keep adding new races/classes.

Yeah, microtransactions in the gaming industry look like they're here to stay. It's fine just as long as people are given the option to acquire the content through actually playing the game as well. It's lame when the *only* option is paid.

Melchiah

Hey, it's not a bad choice if it gives you more time to do other things as well, right?

That's true. Especially as due to my lack of skills I'm pretty much stuck with the bronze level, and it takes six-seven matches (~three hours) to get enough points for the premium pack. 3€ vs. 3h, the choice is pretty easy. ;)

EDIT: In a sense I'm paying for not needing to play the game. =D

So can you do Biotic Charge into Biotic Barrier discharge to make a biotic explosion?

Got a Krogan Battlemaster, already started speccing him but I want to know if that's what the plan is supposed to be with him.

Since all three powers (Charge/Barrier/Carnage) share the same cooldown, you can't really charge into a barrier discharge.

I can't play either due to the freezing. Happened several times, even after deleting the new DLC.

I have a ton of other games, but I want to play THIS, damnit! :(

Holy hell, when they say "blade armor" they freakin' mean blade armor. What does it do, give more melee damage?

On a related note, just saved up for a Premium Spectre Pack in the hopes of unlocking any of the new characters, but nothing. :( Did unlock a Graal Spike Thrower I'm itching to try out, though.

Have 3 of the 6 new classes, missing Batarian Soldier (want), Geth Infiltrator (sort of want), and Batarian Sentinel (DO NOT WANT).

I'm having pretty good luck, but yeah, hunter mode is not good on the eyes.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I can't play either due to the freezing. Happened several times, even after deleting the new DLC.

I have a ton of other games, but I want to play THIS, damnit! :(

Ok this is happening to me too now. Can't get past the starting screen and switching discs didn't help.

Ikkarus

Was it a Turian sentinel? It might have been me. =) I bought one premium pack, as I had only a few hundred points, and was disappointed it had a new weapon, instead of a new character. The Geth SMG was pretty fun to use though.

Nah, I'm in a party with him now. Just unlocked the Geth Engineer.... honesty this class is awesome! The Hunter mode is great, overload is always good and the actual geth turret isn't half bad either.

Is it worth equipping the Javelin over the Widow for the geth bonus?

RyanDG

Nah, I'm in a party with him now. Just unlocked the Geth Engineer.... honesty this class is awesome! The Hunter mode is great, overload is always good and the actual geth turret isn't half bad either.

Is it worth equipping the Javelin over the Widow for the geth bonus?

I wouldn't. But that's mostly because I have had no success running with the Javelin in matches.

Let's say 1 million people have ME3. Let's say half of them play MP regulary.

If a DLC come in, maybe half of these will buy it at a given price. They'll have new maps and weapons and characters.

But Bioware gave only two map for free, the rest to loot. So players keep spending money for weapons they already have in SP, but now for characters or weapons they never have.

Smart move. Very smart move.

Let's hope they keep it this way and not paid DLC + random loot for new items

Maybe give me a severe late pass... but did they just add the ability to hit Y (on 360) on the character select screen for Character Information?

Not like we really need it anymore.. but still cool regardless.

Top Bottom