• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think Collectors are too bad. They're tough, but part of the toughness comes from them being a new faction to learn and exploit. They feel pretty tightly designed, and I don't find myself completely helpless like I often do against the Geth.

And yeah, Reapers are the easiest faction. They probably could have done with a new unit more than the Geth.

Ji66a-Man

Commendation Pack:
Eagle V (meh)
13 million credits into PSPs:
All new available characters
Collector Rifle X
Collector Sniper Rifle X
Collector SMG X
All Retaliation Gear
All new Earth weapon mods

Most of those credits were wasted because I bought packs before they removed duplicate Retaliation Character Cards.

Mindlog

Oh my that Volus Recon Mine
I'm gonna say it.

I like playing as a Volus.
it is THE most fun class to play for me. holy shit
That's 4! When are we doing this :]

When I can the best times for me on weekdays are 8-10pm EST.
At others hours it's likely not me.
Commendation Pack:
Most of those credits were wasted because I bought packs before they removed duplicate Retaliation Character Cards.
Yeah. Also before they added the weapon mods.
Anybody still playing? Finally got a few hours to relax, get a few games in before I turn in. Be nice if I could do it with some people I know.
We haven't played together yet. I'm going to try and be on tomorrow sometime between 8-10PM EST.

Omega

Banned
fuck solo Platinum. this shit is beyond fucking retarded now

Dragoons chasing you while having to worry about Phantoms, while having to worry about that fucking Atlas that's on a different map somehow still shooting you..

that's not even mentioning the Reapers roaming around the map with their bullshit.

X-Frame

FYI:

Equipping a Grenade Capacity Gear adds extra Stim Packs for the Turians. So my Grenade Capacity V gives me 7 Stim Packs .. Wow.

FYI:

Equipping a Grenade Capacity Gear adds extra Stim Packs for the Turians. So my Grenade Capacity V gives me 7 Stim Packs .. Wow.

Yup. Been rocking the assualt gear which gives me 5 stims + extra ar damage. I think I'm going to try and respec though. The Harrier works well, but not as well as the Getfiltrator + Pirahna.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Tech explosions EVERYWHERE

goddamn

get it in before they nerf it back
FYI:

Noticed that too. Warfighter is 12% AR + 2 stims.

You do unreal damage with the Harrier - but the clip doesn't really allow you to get the most out of the potential damage surge.

DY_nasty

Volus bros

I'm really leaning away from speccing the recon mine for damage because of the tech bursts. The range is insane. The collective debuffs are insane.

And the fact that you can double up on tech bursts/explosions for days on living enemies is just too much to pass up on. You don't need to spec for damage. Its insane.

X-Frame

goddamn

Noticed that too. Warfighter is 12% AR + 2 stims.

You do unreal damage with the Harrier - but the clip doesn't really allow you to get the most out of the potential damage surge.

I joined a private game with a Human Engineer just to test Incinerate > Overload and I watched Troopers get blown to bits each and every time, it was amazing. I can't wait to take him and the QFE into battle and just set up all sorts of techsplosions.

And I didn't even think of Warfighter .. that would probably be better on my Turian Ghost due to the extra AR damage as well plus the 2 bonus stims.

I specced my stims for Shields/Survival as I feel it would be better worth it as a OH SHIT button than increased damage for a bit, but now that Spec Ops packs are fixed I am not so sure I made the right choice ..

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Turian Sentinel and Engineer feels so bad after experimenting the jet packs of the Soldier and Infiltrator.

DY_nasty

I joined a private game with a Human Engineer just to test Incinerate > Overload and I watched Troopers get blown to bits each and every time, it was amazing. I can't wait to take him and the QFE into battle and just set up all sorts of techsplosions.

And I didn't even think of Warfighter .. that would probably be better on my Turian Ghost due to the extra AR damage as well plus the 2 bonus stims.

I specced my stims for Shields/Survival as I feel it would be better worth it as a OH SHIT button than increased damage for a bit, but now that Spec Ops packs are fixed I am not so sure I made the right choice ..

Go for damage on the stims dude. The instant shield refill is more than enough - and the turians are mobile enough now to not need points in fitness at all.

Just look at all the damage you're stacking up

100% damage from decloak (ar bonus included)
37.5% just being a turian
30%+ from stimpack

whatever ammo + equipment bonuses

you're spitting fire.

Sai

Volus Engineer.

WOW.

XD

Can't wait until I get the Adept.

Still gettin' a feel for the Turian Havoc. It's like a Vanguard without the Biotics, or somethin'... I like how they had to give the Turians JETPACKS to for them to have any kind of mobility. lulz

Nori Chan

Volus Engineer.

WOW.

XD

Can't wait until I get the Adept.

Still gettin' a feel for the Turian Havoc. It's like a Vanguard without the Biotics, or somethin'... I like how they had to give the Turians JETPACKS to for them to have any kind of mobility. lulz

Yeah love seeing you do that shit hahahahaha

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unlocked the N7 Demolisher, from a Veteran Pack no less. Ideal builds?

DY_nasty

sorry bout earlier nori, had a full party already
Unlocked the N7 Demolisher, from a Veteran Pack no less. Ideal builds?
crank out 2 grenades, no points in fitness, arc > shields > cont damage, homing > armor damage > continuous damage, supply pylon > 2 grenades a pop > tech damage boost, n7 > techtechtech

grenade mod v

let it fly

Magik

goddamn

Goddamn indeed. I was running the Paladin just to do the challenges and it was explosions everywhere.

Being able to do the explosions properly makes things so much more fun.

Speaking of challenges... damn you Bioware, those challenges have sucked me back into ME3 and away from Borderlands.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish there was a Turian Vanguard, the Havoc Charge of the Soldier is nice, but without the 100% shield return, it's too risky to use. :( I'd rather stick with the Turian Infiltrator.

DY_nasty

I wish there was a Turian Vanguard, the Havoc Charge of the Soldier is nice, but without the 100% shield return, it's too risky to use. :( I'd rather stick with the Turian Infiltrator.

You can kinda get some tech explosions out of it and kinda spec it for a pretty decent melee build if you use the stim packs as well but its just not viable. It needs to do a LOT more damage to be practical on Gold.

Omega

Banned

this is why i like the added defense from the stimpacks

although I might do what DY said for the infiltrator and just go for the extra damage boost.

DY_nasty

this is why i like the added defense from the stimpacks

although I might do what DY said for the infiltrator and just go for the extra damage boost.

The thing is, the defense boost doesn't last nearly long enough to charge into the shit required to get the good tech explosions/bursts. You have to pick your fights - but most of the safe fights aren't even worth having.

Its nice that you can't take damage in transit though. Same with the incendiary effect you can lay down with it. Its not a bad skill for Silveranythingbutcollectors.

EatChildren

Sooo in order to get a title, you have to complete every silver challenge under an entire gold category? And titles/backgrounds/icons are all part of the same thing? That's kind of lame. I was thinking the background, title, and little image icon were three separate categories of profile e-peen to unlock. Unlocked through a 'currency' of earned challenge points.

Doubt I'll ever unlock any backgrounds/titles then. No way I'm grinding those challenges for this shit. Makes the challenge points even more silly.

EDIT: Cheers DY for the Demolisher build.

Omega

Banned
Sooo in order to get a title, you have to complete every silver challenge under an entire gold category? And titles/backgrounds/icons are all part of the same thing? That's kind of lame. I was thinking the background, title, and little image icon were three separate categories of profile e-peen to unlock. Unlocked through a 'currency' of earned challenge points.

Doubt I'll ever unlock any backgrounds/titles then. No way I'm grinding those challenges for this shit. Makes the challenge points even more silly.

yeah pretty much.

the map mastery challenge seems tough. requires you to do platinum on shitty maps like condor and jade.

most don't seem too bad, but I wanted that Lone Wolf title. i don't think I'm going to be solo'ing platinum anytime soon since I couldn't even do it with a Gethfiltrator and he made the game easymode before

Mindlog

Right now there are only two titles I can see myself getting and I am (was?) top 20 in challenge points.

Biotics Mastery
Solo Mastery

Soloing Platinum is the only major hurdle left on that one. I wasn't planning on trying, but some of the new gear makes it tempting (Armored Compartments.)
The Biotics Mastery is really easy except for some of the power challenges. There are a lot of points that have to come from totally passive powers like Annihilation Field and Stasis.

DY_nasty

Right now there are only two titles I can see myself getting and I am (was?) top 20 in challenge points.

Biotics Mastery
Solo Mastery

Soloing Platinum is the only major hurdle left on that one. I wasn't planning on trying, but some of the new gear makes it tempting (Armored Compartments.)
The Biotics Mastery is really easy except for some of the power challenges. There are a lot of points that have to come from totally passive powers like Annihilation Field and Stasis.

Wait... you get gear for soloing?

Am I missing something?

keeth

Neo Member
Just played my first game against (Silver) Collectors, on the toxic Firebase Reactor.

Holy cow. What a game. Very cool stuff, all around, and nobody even had the new characters! With the female warning voice and the controls for the venting.. very neat, what a spin on an old map.

Good job, BW.

DY_nasty

okay lol
Just played my first game against (Silver) Collectors, on the toxic Firebase Reactor.

Holy cow. What a game. Very cool stuff, all around, and nobody even had the new characters! With the female warning voice and the controls for the venting.. very neat, what a spin on an old map.

Good job, BW.
I accidentally locked my entire team in the reactor while trying to revive someone.

shit was cray

but that volus shield boost got us through in one piece! (except for this demolisher that was 7.1 meters away lolz)

the damage reduction shield boost provides is amazing. 3 seconds of willnotdie

EatChildren

Jesus fuck the BSN is a cesspit of intolerable knee jerk whining. The DLC has been live for only ~12+ hours and already people are so fucking sure that XXX needs to get buffed and YYY needs to be nerfed. The Collectors are broken and terrible. So is the dragoon. Everything is broken and terrible. Too hard. Too hard.

These dickheads spend a couple of hours with a new assortment of enemies requiring new tactics, and because they can't blitz them right out the gate immediately assume it's a problem with the game. Thread after thread requesting nerfs and buffs.

Fucking gamers. Such shit.

Omega

Banned
Jesus fuck the BSN is a cesspit of intolerable knee jerk whining. The DLC has been live for only ~12+ hours and already people are so fucking sure that XXX needs to get buffed and YYY needs to be nerfed. The Collectors are broken and terrible. So is the dragoon. Everything is broken and terrible. Too hard. Too hard.

These dickheads spend a couple of hours with a new assortment of enemies requiring new tactics, and because they can't blitz them right out the gate immediately assume it's a problem with the game. Thread after thread requesting nerfs and buffs.

Fucking gamers. Such shit.

yeah it's been pretty entertaining/facepalm worthy today

3 hours after the DLC released on Xbox threads were up saying "nerf the collectors!"

edit - the best is people saying Turian Havoc sucks compared to infiltrator. no shit. the only character that might be superior to it's infiltrator counterpart is the QFE now that you don't need to kill to do cryo/fire explosions. it's the best class in the game.

Xevren

BSN forum is usually pretty terrible. I really don't get the whining for Dragoons at all. I don't think the Collectors are all that bad either, yes they are a bit hard but it's usually pretty fun since I'm at least not getting stun locked to hell and back.

EatChildren

BSN forum is usually pretty terrible. I really don't get the whining for Dragoons at all. I don't think the Collectors are all that bad either, yes they are a bit hard but it's usually pretty fun since I'm at least not getting stun locked to hell and back.

There's nothing wrong with any of them, at least, nothing blatantly wrong. Issues will become evident later on when people work out how to exploit them, and where imbalances may lie. As it is though these wankers simply cannot handle something new being added to the formula. They cannot adapt, and instead accuse the game of imbalance.

Collectors pack a mean punch and take a solid beating, but they've clearly got their own play style going on. They're not like the Geth, which seem relentlessly unstoppable in any situation. You can work around the Collectors by picking your priorities and sticking together as a team. They offer a new style to play, which is exactly what a new enemy should be all about. People should have a somewhat rough time with them, in order to learn how to fight them more effectively. Nerfing the Collector's damage/health would be so boring, simply dragging them back to equalisation with another faction.

And yeah, there's really no issue with the Dragoon at all. It's a tough, pure armour rush unit. With the right gun, and the right armour eating powers, they're nothing. They're just another, unique unit to watch out for that gives the excellent Cerberus faction a new twist. I really love the Cerberus combination of units. They've got excellent variety that really keeps you on your toes. Great balance of middling grunts, rush units, and slower, heavy stuff.

I'd probably care less if this wasn't BioWare's own forum. I just hope they're not stupid enough to listen to the whining.

Omega

Banned
wow just noticed you need to get 140k points with the Eagle.

lol, good luck to whoever completes that challenge. they'll be playing for years

exYle

I don't find the BSN forums ever as bad as the rest of you fellas. Whenever there's a stupid buff/nerf thread there's usually a couple of level-headed guy explaining why they shouldn't be buffed/nerfed. There are some crazies, but there are crazies everywhere.

I actually enjoy reading it from time to time because the influx of new info there is staggering.

krakov

What is so hard about the collectors? only real trouble I've run into is getting caught by the big boss clam in tight corridors and being unable to escape. The dragoons seem kinda troublesome and the bombers as well.

Geth has always been the most annoying faction to me. Getting stunned by geth primes across the map, getting stunned by sneaky hunters and getting hit by 20 rockets as soon as you show yourself.

exYle

What is so hard about the collectors? only real trouble I've run into is getting caught by the big boss clam in tight corridors and being unable to escape. The dragoons seem kinda troublesome and the bombers as well.

Geth has always been the most annoying faction to me. Getting stunned by geth primes across the map, getting stunned by sneaky hunters and getting hit by 20 rockets as soon as you show yourself.

Possessed Praetorian in front and Possessed Abomination sneaking up from behind... and then, all of a sudden, cluster grenades from a Possessed Scion

oh god why

krakov

Possessed Praetorian in front and Possessed Abomination sneaking up from behind... and then, all of a sudden, cluster grenades from a Possessed Scion

oh god why

I think they will turn out one of the easiest factions once people are getting used to them. Gold players were pretty awful on 360 last night, not sure I finished that many games against them. We'll see.

Omega

Banned
I think they will turn out one of the easiest factions once people are getting used to them. Gold players were pretty awful on 360 last night, not sure I finished that many games against them. We'll see.

wat

Reapers and Cerberus are still easier, they just don't have as many options as Collectors or Geth.

Reapers > Cerberus > Collectors >>> Geth

at least on Gold/Plat.

DY_nasty

since when?

used it last week and it felt like a watergun

Its amazingly lightweight. Hits harder than the Phalanx and has a bigger clip. When you're trying to fire for elemental effect instead of straight up stopping power, its great. It still hits hard enough to warrant its use over other weapons.

My opinion on the weapon has changed a lot. Of all the quick firing pistols, it's my favorite now.

X-Frame

I do have a question about the new AR Kinetic Mod that adds weight but also armor penetration (High Velocity Barrel): unless I read the description wrong last night it doesn't add any extra damage? Just the penetration and weight?

Because that makes no sense if it doesn't add damage too since the armor penetration is worse than the normal AP mod plus it adds weight. Am I missing something?

krakov

wat

Reapers and Cerberus are still easier, they just don't have as many options as Collectors or Geth.

Reapers > Cerberus > Collectors >>> Geth

at least on Gold/Plat.

Well, I will have to play some more to gather an opinion. Didn't really have problems with them last night though. Geth and cerberus on the other hand was chaotic. But my pubs were also awful so...

DY_nasty

I do have a question about the new AR Kinetic Mod that adds weight but also armor penetration (High Velocity Barrel): unless I read the description wrong last night it doesn't add any extra damage? Just the penetration and weight?

Because that makes no sense if it doesn't add damage too since the armor penetration is worse than the normal AP mod plus it adds weight. Am I missing something?

Are you sure it isn't better? At first glance, the Penetration looked ridiculously better. Mine is only at level 1 though.

Top Bottom