• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Veezy

que?
So would my theory on spamming packs a long time ago until all you get is ammo is now in effect since the duplication of character cards has been removed in the patch?

I was spamming recruit packs just yesterday and was opening duplicate human roles. So, I don't think that would work.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I was spamming recruit packs just yesterday and was opening duplicate human roles. So, I don't think that would work.

No. Common cards will duplicate. Its the Rare and Ultra-Rares that were the issue before and that has been rectified.

I like what they've done to singularity. I've been using a phoenix adept 6/6/6/6/0 lately on gold matches. I was never that good with any adept class until now.

singularity - radius/recharge/dmg
lash - detonate/dmg/penetration
smash - elec/force/armor dmg
training - weight/power/pistol & shotty weight

Armored targets get singularity and gunfire from a distance. Up close they get singularity and smash. Non-armored gets singularity and lash with the occasional bullet during cooldown.

I use a Paladin II with extended barrel + ammo capacity +184% cooldown. It's good for armored targets and I can shoot off a round or two inbetween cooldowns. It's great but I'm open to suggestions. What gun would you guys recommend? I have every non-rare gun at X and I have all the ultra rares but they're all < IV.

Sai

I've got my Phoenix Adept runnin' around with a Hornet X w/ Stability 'n High-Velocity mods&#8212;reliable, high damage, low weight weapon to fall back on when you absolutely have to(and you'll rarely have to, if you're using the Phoenix Adept right)

... And I think you should set up Smash's Evo4 for Biotic Combo instead of Electrical Damage. More opportunities for Biotic Explosions.

Do uncommon dupe?
No, just Common character cards.

sorry bout earlier nori, had a full party already
crank out 2 grenades, no points in fitness, arc > shields > cont damage, homing > armor damage > continuous damage, supply pylon > 2 grenades a pop > tech damage boost, n7 > techtechtech

grenade mod v

let it fly

Listen to this man.

If you have a Harrier, the world becomes free.

So I just had a match on Hazard Dagger against Geth. Never again. When I saw the "Geth Bomber" name for the first time in that leak I was expecting a palette swapped Geth Soldier that can throw grenades or something, not some completely silent hard to hit tiny robot that has both shields and armor and can lay 5 bombs at a time. I wonder who thought it was a good idea to add those to the same stunlock team that has near-invisible Hunters and ungrabbable Pyros and Rocket Troopers that can shoot multiple missiles at a time and Primes that can curve their beams and summon turrets anywhere they please.

I've got my Phoenix Adept runnin' around with a Hornet X w/ Stability 'n High-Velocity mods—reliable, high damage, low weight weapon to fall back on when you absolutely have to(and you'll rarely have to, if you're using the Phoenix Adept right)

... And I think you should set up Smash's Evo4 for Biotic Combo instead of Electrical Damage. More opportunities for Biotic Explosions.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I still prefer electrical though. It causes more damage and it can still detonate biotics. I lash or singularize as much as possible so the opportunities are always good.

exYle

Thanks for the answers, one more question if you don't mind. How do you take off a tittle?

What do you mean? What title?

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I still prefer electrical though. It causes more damage and it can still detonate biotics. I lash or singularize as much as possible so the opportunities are always good.

You know, in all honesty, on the Phoenix Adept electric whips vs. Biotic whips doesn't make too much difference. The only way you can detonate a BE set up by Smash is to Lash unarmored targets, which Singularity + Lash is much better suited for.

Biotic whips have the straight damage upgrade, but electric whips have the DoT, which makes it a preference thing.

On a Phoenix Vanguard, Biotic Smash + Charge is THE combo to use, but the Adept doesn't really have an equivalent.

So I just had a match on Hazard Dagger against Geth. Never again. When I saw the "Geth Bomber" name for the first time in that leak I was expecting a palette swapped Geth Soldier that can throw grenades or something, not some completely silent hard to hit tiny robot that has both shields and armor and can lay 5 bombs at a time. I wonder who thought it was a good idea to add those to the same stunlock team that has near-invisible Hunters and ungrabbable Pyros and Rocket Troopers that can shoot multiple missiles at a time and Primes that can curve their beams and summon turrets anywhere they please.
is it possible to play dagger without the hazards anymore? im sick of the hazards it gets old.very quickly and its ruined one of my fave maps.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
On a Phoenix Vanguard, Biotic Smash + Charge is THE combo to use, but the Adept doesn't really have an equivalent.

Another thing that i like with the Phoenix Vanguard is using Lash and then Biotic Charge on that enemy while they're on the ground/stunned for a Biotic Explosion. It's pretty powerful against Phantoms when you manage to hit them with Lash right after their power shield is down. They're all confused and flying in the sky with their jetpacks on their hands that they dont see me coming.

exYle

Another thing that i like with the Phoenix Vanguard is using Lash and then Biotic Charge on that enemy while they're on the ground/stunned for a Biotic Explosion. It's pretty powerful against Phantoms when you manage to hit them with Lash right after their power shield is down. They're all confused and flying in the sky with their jetpacks on their hands that they dont see me coming.

Haha, I never actually tried that. My Phoenix Vanguard specced out of Lash so I could put more points into Fitness.

Bisnic

Haha, I never actually tried that. My Phoenix Vanguard specced out of Lash so I could put more points into Fitness.

You do have to spec Lash so that it can work on shield and barrier for this to work on Phantoms though. They always use their power shield the first time I use Lash on them, but i usually wait 3 seconds, and use Lash again. Then.. FLYING CONFUSED PHANTOMS WITH JETPACKS.

And you're missing a lot by skipping Lash. I spam this power all day on armorless targets. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it completely stops my target from attacking + seeing them fly in the sky is priceless.

Xevren

If you go to stage select it has both the normal and hazard variants. If you're wanting to play random maps without hazards though you're out of luck, it will pop up from time to time.

exYle

You do have to spec Lash so that it can work on shield and barrier for this to work on Phantoms though. They always use their power shield the first time I use Lash on them, but i usually wait 3 seconds, and use Lash again. Then.. FLYING CONFUSED PHANTOMS WITH JETPACKS.

And you're missing a lot by skipping Lash. I spam this power all day on armorless targets. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it completely stops my target from attacking + seeing them fly in the sky is priceless.

I keep Lash on my Adept. My Vanguard is pure in-yo-face gameplay, so Lash suits my Adept more.

Bisnic

I keep Lash on my Adept. My Vanguard is pure in-yo-face gameplay, so Lash suits my Adept more.

I dunno, I thought heard how the Phoenix Fitness was broken for extra health/shield, so i never bothered putting much points into Fitness for my Vanguard... unless all that was a lie.

X-Frame

You know, in all honesty, on the Phoenix Adept electric whips vs. Biotic whips doesn't make too much difference. The only way you can detonate a BE set up by Smash is to Lash unarmored targets, which Singularity + Lash is much better suited for.

Biotic whips have the straight damage upgrade, but electric whips have the DoT, which makes it a preference thing.

The Biotic Evo would help set up BE's that can be detonated by others though. But if the Electrical Evo has a longer DoT effect then it would be able to set up Tech Bursts for a longer window, so maybe that would be more effective.

Any tips for the Volus Adept? it feels a little weak for me

One of the top 5 characters in the game. I got it specced 6/6/6/5/3.

For shield boost, make sure you you do the one where its 50% damage reduction.

The orbs are amazing, the cool down doesnt affect you launching them. Choose the one where it debuffs and stacks.

Stasis, same as the Asari Adept.

On one of the fitness ones i choose 30% extra shield boost.

I have the adept with my Hurricane II using warp rounds. For any single person you can use stasis + orb for biotic explosion (since the orbs dont affect cooldown) and for bosses launch 3 orbs then warp ammo till your clip runs out.

when things get hairy ALWAYS make sure you have your shield boost ready. If someone goes down, cloak (light melee) then revive + shield boost. You will become everyones best friend.

its a great character, tying for me with the Volus engineer.

Any specs for Volus Engineer?

Really want to try him out.
my fave character now and ive been shredding with him on gold.

everything on 6 with proxy mine on 0. you dont need it. spec for shield boost like i saod in the above post and the recon mine should be with 20 percent damage when enemies are higlighted.

i used to run with a hurricane and scorpion which is fantastic. however now i use the reeger carbine. also use the engineering kit. spam shield boost when ur in trouble and.set the mine in corridoors. it is such a fantastic class.

Stantron

I wish this game didn't require respec cards. Just let me change my points on the fly so that I can experiment back and forth with different setups. Or at least add a guaranteed respec card to all jumbo packs.

Mindlog

I think I'm going to stop playing for a week. This is infuriating.
It was a night and day difference.
Leading into the patch I was having the best pubs ever. Since the patch/DLC pub quality PLUMMETED. I played one pub match after getting my Lone Wolf banner and don't really feel like playing much more. Plus after seeing how much effort a friend spent on my account I bought them a bunch of MS points so they could get a head-start on their own account. There goes a huge source of credits for myself.

It means I'm going to have to stretch out my last 4m credits to unlock the remaining characters, because I don't really feel like playing pubs until people adapt. They're really really bad. I'll just hop on for a map or two with each new character as they're unlocked or until pubs stop sucking.
Pubs stop sucking? All I ever see is them sucking. Either you guys just have awesome luck running into some good players or I have the worst luck ever finding someone that knows how to play this game.
Before the Patch/DLC I was on a run of the most incredible pubs since the game released. Smart people paying aggressively without the standard OP classes (GI, QMI and the soret.)

Xevren

Pubs stop sucking? All I ever see is them sucking. Either you guys just have awesome luck running into some good players or I have the worst luck ever finding someone that knows how to play this game.

Omega

Banned
on my Volus engineer i skip fitness. no point bc he already has no shields/health. you won't get any from the fitness and if you need shields, just put on a cyclonic modulator or shield boost every 4 seconds.

i'm 228th globally on PS3 for challenge points. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BioWare commented on the health gate situation.

We have been investigating claims that the health and shield gates are not working properly. After some initial testing, we can confirm that both gates are working correctly, but we will continue to investigate whether there are edge cases that cause them to not work in some situations.

With that said, below is a brief explanation of how the gates work and some factors that could make it appear like they are not working.

We have two damage gates in the game. When your shields hit zero, for a small duration you become invulnerable to damage preventing any health damage from taking place. Similarly, when your health gets below 5% you become invulnerable to damage for a short time. The duration of these gates change based on difficulty and they are listed below:
- Bronze 0.5 seconds
- Silver 0.25 seconds
- Gold 0.1 seconds
- Platinum 0.01 seconds

There is also a cooldown on both gate mechanics, preventing you from becoming invulnerable too often. You can only get the benefits of the shield gate once every 4 seconds, and once every 3 seconds for the health gate. This means that if your shields hit zero on Bronze, for example, you become invulnerable for 0.5 seconds, but if your shields get restored through a Geth Turret, a Volus Shield Boost, Stim Pack, or some other means, and your shields go down again after the 0.5 second window and within 4 seconds you will not get a second window of invulnerability.

None of the health and shield gate values or mechanics have changed since we shipped the game.

The following enemy attacks ignore the player health and shield gate mechanics, which means they can instantly kill you.
- Any sync kill
- Enemy grenades
- Possessed Abomination explosions

Some of our new abilities, like the Volus Shield Boost (on the caster only), and Stim Pack, make the player invulnerable for a short duration after the cast, but this is separate from the shield gate mechanic.

They also wanted to press the issue of deceptive visual representation, as in your shield 'breaks' as the shield bar is still playing out the animation of it cooling down. Meaning you might get the impression of still having shield while health is being damaged.

Sajjaja

Yeah... I dont know what's up. I dont know how good I am, I haven't played with any of you guys to gauge where I'm at but... there are people using missiles on a lone Atlas... using their med packs with team mates around them. I've carried waves, albeit on silver(haven't tried gold yet), only to have my team wipe out the next one and me not giving a shit anymore and not want to waste my medigel. People not using their medigel because their too stubborn.

I don't have anyone to play with but randoms, but I like to think I have more skill than your average pub players.

X-Frame

360 here, has anyone's connection been real shitty tonight? It keeps staggering and lagging a lot and this is every game with many different hosts.

Xevren

Gotta say, really loving the changes from this weeks update. So much fun with all the fire/cryo explosions. Adore playing a Paladin right now, cryo splosions all day!

Omega

Banned
Gotta say, really loving the changes from this weeks update. So much fun with all the fire/cryo explosions. Adore playing a Paladin right now, cryo splosions all day!

yep.

just played a public match, all of us were human eng.

fire explosions galore. two of us just overloaded while the other two just incinerated

Is it worth respeccing the Paladin now? i had him at all 6's but zero on incinerate....

Ive had some GREAT pubs today - 3 x Gold extractions which are not as easy as they used to be. There was an absolute tank build destroyer and two of us had volus engineers - we just kept as a team and kept debuffing bosses for him and shielding everyone. the last game we all switched to Adepts (2 x Asari, 1 x Drell, me= Volus) so much fun. Biotic Explosions everywhere and the shield boost helps everyone.

The volus are really well thought out characters, the only thing i would change is i wish the engineer had overload instead of proxy mine. No one is using proxy mines in the game ive seen and you really need a "quick fire" power to get rid of people close to you.

Harlock

I am happy to inform that FW/G/G still working very well for Farm Effect 3 multiplayer.

In the first couple of days people are confude and shocked with the changes in the map e that little flying thing who spawn grenades.

But now the poor people in the galaxy can go back and get your gold credits again.

I am happy to inform that FW/G/G still working very well for Farm Effect 3 multiplayer.

In the first couple of days people are confude and shocked with the changes in the map e that little flying thing who spawn grenades.

But now the poor people in the galaxy can go back and get your gold credits again.

Who cares? i played a game on white today and it was totally different. no one was camping and the changes that were made made it much more enjoyable. If people want to play it then let them - there are way more other maps/factions to do now if you dont want to do that.

Gui_PT

Another thing is the damn stun

A Geth hunter gets a shot on me and I'm basically dead because he'll continuously stun me with his shots til I die while I try to shoot him

And if you get downed in an area with a lot of enemies, don't even try to get up because they'll all stun the crap out of you. You have no time to react to that.

The volus are really well thought out characters, the only thing i would change is i wish the engineer had overload instead of proxy mine. No one is using proxy mines in the game ive seen and you really need a "quick fire" power to get rid of people close to you.

I haven't gotten Volus Engineer yet, but I've used Proximity Mine as a "quick fire" power. Just quickly shoot it at their feet and watch them all stagger.

So I've been using a Volus Adept sniper a la Asari sniper and I think it's now my preferred playing style with him. I never use the orbs until a boss shows up. Biotic explosions are fast for the first three/four times you do it, but the cooldown on summoning orbs, even at 200%, is slightly long for me to be exploding everything like a proper adept especially with such low health/shields and needing access to my Shield Boost.

Top Bottom