• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

I must say my experience in multiplayer has REALLY sharpened up my combat in the single player campaign.

Im playing the Omega DLC now and im tearing it up with my engineer. The patches have made fire explosions fantastic. The engineer is SO OP in the SP campaign.

I can also use a particle rifle X and have 185% cooldown. happy days. the fire explosions look and sound so meaty in SP for some reason.

Arias "Flare" power is fantastic as well. Really hope this is brought to multi.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I must say my experience in multiplayer has REALLY sharpened up my combat in the single player campaign.

Im playing the Omega DLC now and im tearing it up with my engineer. The patches have made fire explosions fantastic. The engineer is SO OP in the SP campaign.

I can also use a particle rifle X and have 185% cooldown. happy days. the fire explosions look and sound so meaty in SP for some reason.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure all those multiplayer balance changes with weapons and powers buffs and nerfs did not affect the campaign ones.

X-Frame

So since I'm oddly going for the N7 Mastery (promotions) I have decided to spend my credits that I earn on Recruit Packs only. Each pack seems to guarantee 1 character card for 62,500 XP. If you play 1 gold game, that's 16 Recruit Packs you can open and seems to be much easier to level up character classes without playing them.

Plus, on the bonus side you'll get tons of consumables too.

Sajjaja

So since I'm oddly going for the N7 Mastery (promotions) I have decided to spend my credits that I earn on Recruit Packs only. Each pack seems to guarantee 1 character card for 62,500 XP. If you play 1 gold game, that's 16 Recruit Packs you can open and seems to be much easier to level up character classes without playing them.

Damn man. That's smart.

Mindlog

I really wasn't planning on promoting at all, but it is tempting. I like having a low N7 rating, but all my other banners are moving quickly. Except almost everything in the aliens tab.

I finished the two Hardcore Silvers with 82% on medals.

X-Frame

Damn man. That's smart.

I think I got the idea from someone on BSN, but I can gladly take credit, haha.

I really wasn't planning on promoting at all, but it is tempting. I like having a low N7 rating, but all my other banners are moving quickly. Except almost everything in the aliens tab.

I finished the two Hardcore Silvers with 82% on medals.

I was the same. But when I finished all the weapons challenges I didn't *need* high level classes to help those challenges go along anymore, and I figured I would be at the end with all the banners unlocked except N7 and then my completionist side of me would want to just finish it all. I figure now is a good time while I am still doing the alien tab, and it's not that bad.

I don't know what my N7 rating will be after I am done, but it will probably be pretty damn high. Plus, it feels good that 3-4 Gold games worth of credits has increased my MediGel & Rockets by +50. I should have everything maxed within a day, haha.

When I replayed the ending for the Extended Cut, I was mowing down Banshees and Brutes super-fast. The ability to switch between Cryo and Disruptor ammo helped too.

I did forget about no-revival though: had to replay a couple sections because I was too aggressive. :p

Mindlog

I don't know what my N7 rating will be after I am done, but it will probably be pretty damn high. Plus, it feels good that 3-4 Gold games worth of credits has increased my MediGel & Rockets by +50. I should have everything maxed within a day, haha.
Maxed inventory problems. I can't stand how the RNG works for equipment. My favorite PSP in the last month had Shotgun III, AR III, Incendiary IV, Cyclonic IV and something else or something like that.
When I replayed the ending for the Extended Cut, I was mowing down Banshees and Brutes super-fast. The ability to switch between Cryo and Disruptor ammo helped too.

I did forget about no-revival though: had to replay a couple sections because I was too aggressive. :p
For some reason I consistently can't believe the difficulty is on insanity. During Omega I checked 3 or 4 times.

X-Frame

Uh oh ...

Eric Fagnan -

Yes we will have a Saber buff tomorrow.

We also have a small Valkyrie buff this week, but just to warn everyone we also have a small nerf to the Acolyte and one to the Stimulant Pack power since after some testing and feedback we've concluded that they are too powerful.

The part that irks me is the Acolyte was "nothing" before they got rid of the charge mechanic. I was using it and loving it -- in fact I liked it better that way then they removed the charge and everyone used it and now here comes a nerf. Hopefully it's a 50% penalty to health and/or armor. Keep it as a shield/barrier stripping god weapon.

EekTheKat

My dream character would have been somesort of Volus Engineer dual wielding an acolyte and a scorpion. Now that would have been all sorts of madness.

More than likely the acolyte will fall back into sidearm for me with the impending nerf, still worth taking but probably more useful for niche situations for the AE + stagger.

The Acolyte balancing is going to be tricky. I can't argue that its combination of utility, low weight, and surprising stopping power make a nerf a reasonable thing, but the line between overpowered and completely useless for that gun is about as thin as can be. I'll be curious to see what happens.

oh FFS! fucking acoyte nerf? every time I like a weapon they totally render it useless. its happened with the piranha, krysae, typhoon, acolyte. .christ just let us enjoy playing the game!

why not fix the bullshit glitches and ridiculous UR drop rates? to be honest I think ive had enough. .ill finish the omega dlc then be done with this game.

there are now zero guns I want to use anymore as the acolyte was the last gun I enjoyed. just because people enjoy using a gun it doesnt make it overpowered!

So its still really good despite it getting nerfed? Stop raging. Just take it and move on.
its not really good at all. it used to be the go to shotgun but with 6 bullets and much less damage than its used to what is the point?

its like they dont wany people using their weapons. as soon as something is used widely it gets neutered.

the acolyte has low clip size and fires slowly so why make it less effective as well?

its a coop game, I really dont see why the balances are done like this without fixing the glitches and bugs which have plagued the game from day 1.

the only non UR gun id use now is the reeger and the collector assault rifle x with heavy mods and ammo powers.

its not really good at all. it used to be the go to shotgun but with 6 bullets and much less damage than its used to what is the point?

its like they dont wany people using their weapons. as soon as something is used widely it gets neutered.

the acolyte has low clip size and fires slowly so why make it less effective as well?

its a coop game, I really dont see why the balances are done like this without fixing the glitches and bugs which have plagued the game from day 1.

the only non UR gun id use now is the reeger and the collector assault rifle x with heavy mods and ammo powers.

I can sympathize with some of the frustration, but be reasonable. First off, balance changes and bug fixing are two different beasts, simple editing of existing values for weapons/powers/etc. isn't happening instead of bug fixes. The things that can be hotfixed in the same way are, and the rest must wait for a patch, which unfortunately probably won't be happening again. But all the frustrating things that are indeed still wrong with this game aren't still there because the acolyte is going to get heavier or something.

In any case, 'it's a co-op' game isn't much of an argument against attention to balance. Encouraging variety wherever possible in a game that's fundamentally pretty thin mechanically and in terms of content can only be a good thing for it's longevity.

Your disdain for many, many good weapons that still exist in the game is kind of a personal problem. Much stranger than the idea that there are only two good rare guns in the game is that the collector assault rifle is one of them. There's still the Claymore, The Widow, and for all the hype the Harrier gets, the Mattock (an uncommon) can do it's job nearly as well, though you're likely to lose a finger in the process. Admittedly, guns like the carnifex have kind of been left behind, but that's sort of emblematic of the issue with the acolyte-there's no reason to take any other pistol on most builds. A weapon that obsolesces the rest of its class should probably be looked at.

Sorry to rant at you, and certainly there's plenty to be frustrated about with ME3 multiplayer, but let's be reasonable.

Also, interesting that the two weapons you like (acolyte and reegar) are the ones that do orders of magnitude more damage to shields than any other in the game; time to start playing a kit with overload, obviously :p

Sai

Saber buff? SABER BUFF! Booo @ the Stimulant Pack nerf though.

I kinda liked the Acolyte even before they got rid of the charge. I don't think they can ruin the gun for me at this point.

Does Phat Michael still think that the Krysae is useless now? :D

Its received two needs and a rebuff. Did you try since then?

You mean they nerfed it, then rebuffed it again? i noticed after the nerf it wasnt anywhere near as powerful and it shot really slowly (as in rate of fire). I havent tried since what i believe was the first nerf.

I can sympathize with some of the frustration, but be reasonable. First off, balance changes and bug fixing are two different beasts, simple editing of existing values for weapons/powers/etc. isn't happening instead of bug fixes. The things that can be hotfixed in the same way are, and the rest must wait for a patch, which unfortunately probably won't be happening again. But all the frustrating things that are indeed still wrong with this game aren't still there because the acolyte is going to get heavier or something.

In any case, 'it's a co-op' game isn't much of an argument against attention to balance. Encouraging variety wherever possible in a game that's fundamentally pretty thin mechanically and in terms of content can only be a good thing for it's longevity.

Your disdain for many, many good weapons that still exist in the game is kind of a personal problem. Much stranger than the idea that there are only two good rare guns in the game is that the collector assault rifle is one of them. There's still the Claymore, The Widow, and for all the hype the Harrier gets, the Mattock (an uncommon) can do it's job nearly as well, though you're likely to lose a finger in the process. Admittedly, guns like the carnifex have kind of been left behind, but that's sort of emblematic of the issue with the acolyte-there's no reason to take any other pistol on most builds. A weapon that obsolesces the rest of its class should probably be looked at.

Sorry to rant at you, and certainly there's plenty to be frustrated about with ME3 multiplayer, but let's be reasonable.

Also, interesting that the two weapons you like (acolyte and reegar) are the ones that do orders of magnitude more damage to shields than any other in the game; time to start playing a kit with overload, obviously :p

Both the claymore and the widow are too heavy for the characters/play style i use. The mattock was fine but as you say i hate having to push the button over and over for an assault rifle. I dont use the Widow X as i use my Black Widow IV which i find much better.

I used to use the carnifex a lot (for my Asari Adept) but havent really been using it lately.

I like the collector rifle as it has a moderate weight, nice rate of fire and decent clip size, the only problem being the low damage but fair enough as the rest makes sense.

Im also not a HUGE fan of the Sabre because its an assault rifle posing as a sniper rifle and i dont really see the point.

exYle

You mean they nerfed it, then rebuffed it again? i noticed after the nerf it wasnt anywhere near as powerful and it shot really slowly (as in rate of fire). I havent tried since what i believe was the first nerf.

They nerfed it as it was basically a Geth Prime in your hands - you could easily stunlock enemies to death. Now that the fire rate had been slowed, they increased bullet damage.

Melchiah

oh FFS! fucking acoyte nerf? every time I like a weapon they totally render it useless. its happened with the piranha, krysae, typhoon, acolyte. .christ just let us enjoy playing the game!

why not fix the bullshit glitches and ridiculous UR drop rates? to be honest I think ive had enough. .ill finish the omega dlc then be done with this game.

there are now zero guns I want to use anymore as the acolyte was the last gun I enjoyed. just because people enjoy using a gun it doesnt make it overpowered!

What about Hurricane, and Geth Pulse Rifle on Geth character with the extended damage on stats? I love the latter myself, the former is ok too, but needs a Stabilization Module III consumable to be more usable.

I don't play for points, ie. who's the best of the team, but I usually end up on top two with GPR VII + Operative Package III equipped Geth Engineer, no matter how experienced players I play with.

Bisnic

I'm personally a fan of the Particle Rifle, with a decent rank, and an armor penetration mod + extended barrel for a 200 clip, this gun can destroy anything as long as enemies do not focus fire on you so you can keep the beam going as long as possible, especially with a Turian Ghost that has the 20% AR Tactical Cloak buff power.

What about Hurricane, and Geth Pulse Rifle on Geth character with the extended damage on stats? I love the latter myself, the former is ok too, but needs a Stabilization Module III consumable to be more usable.

I don't play for points, ie. who's the best of the team, but I usually end up on top two with GPR VII + Operative Package III equipped Geth Engineer, no matter how experienced players I play with.

Hurricane is fine but i only have it at II so the damage is a bit lacking. The GPR i have on X but i dont bother as the damage is very low. I dont see how you can play with it on Gold.

On my Destroyer i use a Harrier III and BW IV or replace the Harrier with a Typhoon I.
volus Engineer = Acolyte X or Reeger Carbine X with efficiency mods
Asari Adept = Acolyte X
geth Engineer = Collector Rifle X with mods (140% cooldown) - same as human engineer (Both with incindiery mods)
Vanguards i tend to use a Reeger.

I'm personally a fan of the Particle Rifle, with a decent rank, and an armor penetration mod + extended barrel for a 200 clip, this gun can destroy anything as long as enemies do not focus fire on you so you can keep the beam going as long as possible, especially with a Turian Ghost that has the 20% AR Tactical Cloak buff power.

I love the particle Rifle. in the SP campaign i have it on X. In MP i dont even have it yet. its the only UR i am missing :/

The UR's i want to advance the most would be:

Typhoon X (at I currently)
Harrier X (At III currently)
Particle Rifle X (None :/)
Javelin X (II)
BW X (IV)

Bisnic

I love the particle Rifle. in the SP campaign i have it on X. In MP i dont even have it yet. its the only UR i am missing :/

The UR's i want to advance the most would be:

Typhoon X (at I currently)
Harrier X (At III currently)
Particle Rifle X (None :/)
Javelin X (II)
BW X (IV)

Mine is at V, it's pretty nice. :D

But yeah. fuck the URs chance to appear in a pack. I know it says Ultra Rare, but dammit Bioware, you don't have to make them actually ultra rares!

Mine is at V, it's pretty nice. :D

But yeah. fuck the URs chance to appear in a pack. I know it says Ultra Rare, but dammit Bioware, you don't have to make them actually ultra rares!
every 10 x psps I get 1 x UR..thats 1 million credits to get 1 x UR. that really isnt incentive enough imo.

Melchiah

Hurricane is fine but i only have it at II so the damage is a bit lacking. The GPR i have on X but i dont bother as the damage is very low. I dont see how you can play with it on Gold.

On my Destroyer i use a Harrier III and BW IV or replace the Harrier with a Typhoon I.
volus Engineer = Acolyte X or Reeger Carbine X with efficiency mods
Asari Adept = Acolyte X
geth Engineer = Collector Rifle X with mods (140% cooldown) - same as human engineer (Both with incindiery mods)
Vanguards i tend to use a Reeger.

Well, I don't play on Gold. On Silver you can kill three Geth/Cerberus Troopers or Cannibals with one clip.

As for Hurricane, I thought even the vanilla I was pretty good damage-wise.

I still don't have Harrier, but recently got the Collector Rifle. I haven't tried it though, as it's too heavy for most characters.

Tsukumo

The part that irks me is the Acolyte was "nothing" before they got rid of the charge mechanic. I was using it and loving it -- in fact I liked it better that way then they removed the charge and everyone used it and now here comes a nerf. Hopefully it's a 50% penalty to health and/or armor. Keep it as a shield/barrier stripping god weapon.

it will probably be weight related. Anything else, and it would become useless.

X-Frame

it will probably be weight related. Anything else, and it would become useless.

Eric Fagnan is asking the community for their opinion on if they should bring the charging mechanic back. So far it seems about 75% in favor/25% against. I am personally in favor, but if they keep the original stats. Today is going to be a small nerf, so we'll see.

Stantron

The Krysae is still pretty useful on infiltrators. I use it on my QFI. The splash damage is still great.
The Collector Sniper rifle. Now that's a piece of shit gun. Even at level X on a N7 Destroyer specc'ed for bonus ammo. Someone please tell me I'm using it wrong.

Speaking of the Destroyer, he's awesome with the Particle Rifle (VI) + ammo mag. The fact that he doesn't get stun blocked or stagger makes it great to keep the beam going, especially against Geth.

I saw the Acolyte nerf coming. The gun is so good at stripping shields. They'll probably reduce damage slightly and keep everything else the same.... for now.

Well, I don't play on Gold. On Silver you can kill three Geth/Cerberus Troopers or Cannibals with one clip.

As for Hurricane, I thought even the vanilla I was pretty good damage-wise.

I still don't have Harrier, but recently got the Collector Rifle. I haven't tried it though, as it's too heavy for most characters.
dude on silver my recon mine can take out an entire room.

on gold some guns become pretty useless.

Both the claymore and the widow are too heavy for the characters/play style i use. The mattock was fine but as you say i hate having to push the button over and over for an assault rifle. I dont use the Widow X as i use my Black Widow IV which i find much better.

I used to use the carnifex a lot (for my Asari Adept) but havent really been using it lately.

I like the collector rifle as it has a moderate weight, nice rate of fire and decent clip size, the only problem being the low damage but fair enough as the rest makes sense.

Im also not a HUGE fan of the Sabre because its an assault rifle posing as a sniper rifle and i dont really see the point.

Can't disagree there (Black Widow X Woo!), I mentioned the widow in the context of pointing out the existence of strong rare weapon options. If you open up the field to URs then there are many more great guns to choose from; collector smg (once you have a few levels of it, which I know is tough), scorpion and talon are both great at level 1, saber is getting buffed any minute now, all the UR snipers are great now... you know, looking at the list, the only ur that I don't like is the typhoon, mainly because I think the PPR is better just about every time. Among promos, the hurricane and valiant are strong (though the valiant has lost it's luster in light of the buffs to the URs), the other three do nothing for me, though I know some folks like the crusader. Overall, there are a good number of strong guns in the game, though the high end of the rarity chart is certainly top heavy in that regard. As a total loser who has played this game a stupid amount (http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=Oblivionmancer&platform=xbox), that doesn't so much matter to me though :D

By the by, give the claymore a chance! Try it on a drell vanguard, you might be surprised!

wouldnt the weight on the crusader x be too heavy on a vanguard? wouldnt he lose his ability to charge at command?

edit: christ dude your manifest is impressive! almost all your weapons are at X!

also I think the collector sniper rifle and collector smg are useless with the small clips. I know you are supposed to burst fire them but I don't like either of them.

I cant believe the collector smg is a UR!

wouldnt the weight on the crusader x be too heavy on a vanguard? wouldnt he lose his ability to charge at command?

Well the drellguard has a higher than typical carry capacity, gets 90% with the claymore x, which is of course going to a bit slower than with a lightweight weapon. In exchange he does massive claymore damage in between cooldowns (especially since charge is a good reload cancel option), and with cluster grenade spam on top of it he's got plenty to do between charges. It does require you to be on the ball a bit more than with a lighter weapon, but it pays off with the massive damage output, and you earn massive style points. Just anecdotally I'd say it's plenty fast enough though it does alter the tempo of the class a bit; just make sure you play as host if you give it a go. Vanguards in general, and certainly the low barrier, slower cooldown claymore drellguard, definitely get wrecked by playing off host more than any other class.

also I think the collector sniper rifle and collector smg are useless with the small clips. I know you are supposed to burst fire them but I don't like either of them.

I cant believe the collector smg is a UR!

Well the sniper in particular basically needs to fired like a mattock/raptor, or yeah its going to drain instantly. Very solid if used that way though, but there are so many good snipers at this point that I wouldn't fault anyone for just not bothering.

The collector smg on the other hand is my favorite smg. It does need the extended clip, and benefits greatly from reaching higher levels for additional capacity. In exchange it does great, if not hurricane level damage (1.5 multiplier against armor) while completely avoiding the accuracy and stability problems of the Hurricane. To get it to perform, I find it's best to put it on a class that will naturally play with a tempo that avoids overheating it. Casters that will be spamming a power every couple seconds do it, but I also love it on infiltrators. Cloak, fire for a couple seconds for that bonused damage, reposition, recloak, and your already reloaded to start again. Love that gun, and once you get the timing right, never needing an ammo box is pretty nice.

X-Frame

Dec 4th Balance Changes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 4, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlocking Male Quarian Marksman Soldier and challenge

New hazard maps available this week are Firebase Ghost and Firebase Giant

Stimulant Pack Power
- Base damage bonus decreased from 10% to 5%
- Base max shield bonus decreased from 2000 to 1200
- Evolution 5 weapon damage bonus decreased from 10% to 8%

Havok Strike Power
- Base cooldown reduced from 10 to 8 seconds
- Base damage increased from 500 to 600

Acolyte Pistol
- Base damage decreased from [420.2-490.0] to [378.0-441.0]

Saber Assault Rifle
- Base damage increased from [427.9-534.8] to [460-575]

Valkyrie Assault Rifle
- Base damage increased from [114.2-142.8] to [119.9-149.9]

However, the Quarian Markman's Health/Shields are bugged and lower than intended. Bioware acknowledged this immediately and will compensate the Quarian Markman in some other way.

Also, the Huntress's lack of cloaked weapon damage has finally been confirmed as a bug.

Bisnic

Hey look, something bugged again. I have a feeling this "1 new character every week" was too fast to properly test them. :lol

Hey look, something bugged again. I have a feeling this "1 new character every week" was too fast to properly test them. :lol

One (foolishly) would have thought they'd have tested them prior to releasing the dlc, since they have all been in the game since then. This Quarian health bug just takes the cake. That it got in means, literally, that nobody bothered to just. check. That's just straight up doing a bad job. Pretty infuriating in truth.

Stantron

If I have 6 points left to spend, what's better? The latter, right?
+10% damage reduction from fortification, rank 6
+20% health/shields fitness, rank 4

Top Bottom