• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

The carnifex is the only rare weapon i have gotten in over 20 spectre packs and 20 hours of play. Its is the reason i am the number one scorer on my teams 70% of the time, or in the top two 92%. I have no idea where the fuck i would be without it. I have never felt such loyalty to a digital weapon before.

eek5

The carnifex is the only rare weapon i have gotten in over 20 spectre packs and 20 hours of play. Its is the reason i am the number one scorer on my teams 70% of the time, or in the top two 92%. I have no idea where the fuck i would be without it. I have never felt such loyalty to a digital weapon before.

How are you using it? I have the Carnifex level 3 and I don't like it that much :eek:

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
No joke. Says due to "technical limitations" it isn't available on the PS3.
"Technical Limitations" makes it sound like the infrastructure of PSN is backwards in comparison.

There has to be some agreement via Microsoft making this exclusive. I can't imagine it's a hardware limitation as the 360 can't even do Cross-Platform play on Dungeon Defenders while the PS3 plays nice with PC/Android/iOS/Mac.

MIKEAL

Banned

I know what you mean, i feel naked in any build where i don't have a geth shotgun

LosDaddie

Banned
Avenger is a common item, isn't it? You could get its upgrades from any pack I think.

I have the shitty, baseline Avenger that you get for preordering. I want something with at least a little more punch, since I use my AR twice as much as my shotty (Vanguard character).

Pretty cool. Guess I'm gonna be grinding it out this weekend so I'm not a worthless POS squad member.

Do want.

Yeah, it's looking like I'll be able to play tonight, and it's going to be all Silver matches for me.

Well, if you max out the smaller stuff you'll be drawing from a smaller pool so even if you want gold weapons, the other stuff in the spectre packs have potential to be better items (like silver weapons and stuff)

Overall quality should be generally better, plus the level 5 mods are really useful

edit: For Avenger, you can max it out using recruit packs since it is a common

Yeah, I'm mainly talking about getting an Avenger V or above. I need to buy Spectre packs, right?

Kenaras

For anyone who played an Asari Adept in the demo: did they nerf Stasis? Recharge time feels so much slower.

Yes, they did. From the launch day balance change notes:

"Stasis
- Base cooldown increased from 8 to 12 seconds"

Source

Because of this, you should be using Stasis much less often than did in the demo. It's still incredibly powerful, just situational.

I asked this over in the SP thread but no answer. How does promoting work? Does your guy show up in a cutscene or do you actually get to play as them? Anyone know?

eek5

Yeah, I'm mainly talking about getting an Avenger V or above. I need to buy Spectre packs, right?

No. To upgrade weapons you just need to get that weapon's card again. Once it reaches 10 it is removed from the pool of cards you can receive.

The Avenger is a common item which will show up in recruit packs so you can max it out just opening the cheapest pack.

I asked this over in the SP thread but no answer. How does promoting work? Does your guy show up in a cutscene or do you actually get to play as them? Anyone know?

It shows up as a war asset worth 75 points.

RyanDG

I know what you mean, i feel naked in any build where i don't have a geth shotgun

Weapons are over-rated. I've gotten to the point now where I go in with nothing on my Vanguard. Only on Bronze and Silver of course, but when I'm not busting the map, it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I think Bioware is telling me I use charge/nova/nova/charge/nova/nova/charge/nova/nova way too often because I've been breaking the map more and more recently.

They just show up as a war asset. Nothing else from what I could see.

That's not lag, that's a bug with Biotic Charge. It happens when you try to charge, but die during the latency before the charge activates. Your client thinks you charged, but the server thinks you didn't. This causes synchronization issues for the rest of the match; the only way to fix it is to quit and rejoin. Of course, that's not really an option if you're playing a public game.

This isn't lag either. The exact cause isn't as easy to pin down as the first bug, but I believe it's randomly triggered by Nova. Each Nova has a chance to simply lock you out of using any abilities; you won't be able to Biotic Charge, Nova, or Shockwave. Usually, taking another action will fix it; firing your weapon works just as well as rolling, and is much faster.

This second bug is why shotgun Vanguards are currently terrible. The low fire speed and small clip make it difficult to fix the bug, so you can't always get your charges off when you need to. If you need to charge when your clip is empty, and the bug triggers, it generally means death. If you have to use a shotgun, a Scimitar is probably your best bet. Personally, I've started using a Tempest; fast fire speed and huge clip makes it easy to work around the bug. A Phalanx or Predator works too, but make sure you don't empty your clip until you're in a safe location.

Damn, this is fantastic information, gotta try this, thanks!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This isn't lag either. The exact cause isn't as easy to pin down as the first bug, but I believe it's randomly triggered by Nova. Each Nova has a chance to simply lock you out of using any abilities; you won't be able to Biotic Charge, Nova, or Shockwave. Usually, taking another action will fix it; firing your weapon works just as well as rolling, and is much faster.

The reason why I assume it's lag is because this NEVER happens to me when I'm host. Hosting as Vanguard is great because I never get a delay online or any other input hiccups.

eek5

Site wasn't loading for me but found the start/end time somewhere else:

Starts 5PM tonight.

The N7 Weekend will last through 5 a.m. Monday morning.

How are you using it? I have the Carnifex level 3 and I don't like it that much :eek:

With a scope. Its basically a sniper rifle that fire fast at that point. On bronze, you can wipe the floor of everything with it, but its still super effective in silver.

For mass effectiveness, play as a character with stasis. Freeze enemies, lineup the headshots, and on bronze its almost a guaranteed one hit kill. The pistol and headshot bonuses you will recieve will put you over the top.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The technical limitations on PS3 thing REEKS of the SFxTK nonsense with exclusivity as well.

I call MS moneyhats. As if other games don't do promo weekends with on-disc content either. As far as infrastructure goes, Microsoft is the strictest across the board and it's hard to see PSN being locked out in something so commonplace.

X-Frame

A teammate got booted from a match, he was in 1st place, and then a minute or so later rejoins and his points all returned.

How? Is he going into Recent Players and joining back into the server? And doing so returns all the points to you as long as you get back in before the game ends.

If true, bugged Vanguards should be doing that all the time.

Geth rifle with extended mag is so great for support play, 140+ bullets in that bitch! also with piercing rounds you can hurt a pack of enemies rather well.

So, with some of my birthday money ($40), I decided a fun way to blow it all would be to buy MS points and see if I could get the Salarian Infiltrator and the Black Widow.

The Long and Short of it: I got the Salarian Infiltrator, BUT NOT THE BLACK WIDOW WTF

I blew it all on only Spectre Packs and wound up with the following (I've excluded Silver and under unlocks):
- Carnifex III
- Falcon IV
- Revenant I
- Geth Plasma Shotgun IV
- Graal Spike Thrower I
- SMG Hornet X
- Widow II
- Paladin I
- Salarian Infiltrator
- Krogan Sentinel
- Quarian Engineer
- Drell Vanguard

Long story short, I got 1 Ultra Rare unlock after spending $40 on Spectre packs. Let my folly be a warning to you about these packs. Blegh.

So, with some of my birthday money ($40), I decided a fun way to blow it all would be to buy MS points and see if I could get the Salarian Infiltrator and the Black Widow.

The Long and Short of it: I got the Salarian Infiltrator, BUT NOT THE BLACK WIDOW WTF

I blew it all on only Spectre Packs and wound up with the following (I've excluded Silver and under unlocks):
- Carnifex III
- Falcon IV
- Revenant I
- Geth Plasma Shotgun IV
- Graal Spike Thrower I
- SMG Hornet X
- Widow II
- Paladin I
- Salarian Infiltrator
- Krogan Sentinel
- Quarian Engineer
- Drell Vanguard

Long story short, I got 1 Ultra Rare unlock after spending $40 on Spectre packs. Let my folly be a warning to you about these packs. Blegh.

$40 really means $400 right? :p

eek5

- Carnifex III
- Falcon IV
- Revenant I
- Geth Plasma Shotgun IV
- Graal Spike Thrower I
- SMG Hornet X
- Widow II
- Paladin I
- Salarian Infiltrator
- Krogan Sentinel
- Quarian Engineer
- Drell Vanguard

I've probably opened ~30-40 spectre packs now and I only have a regular Widow lol

Kenaras

The reason why I assume it's lag is because this NEVER happens to me when I'm host. Hosting as Vanguard is great because I never get a delay online or any other input hiccups.

Lag could certainly be involved in how the bug triggers, similar to the other bug I mentioned. (That one can't happen when hosting, due to the specifics of how the bug triggers.) I think I've had the the power lockout bug when hosting, but I can't be sure. Since I don't know how to reproduce it reliably, it's hard to say. I'll play around with it some more.

(These days, whenever I need to charge, I quickly press charge->shoot->charge just to make sure the charge goes off.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I love the idea of this Challenge Weekend. I'm really glad they're supporting this online mode.

What do people think is the easiest class/build for taking out the Reapers? I do fine on Silver with my Vanguard, but I'm curious what other streamlined classes are better suited to the task.

X-Frame

Thanks Guardian and Rokam.

I really, really hope I get the N7 Valiant sniper. Thing was my favorite on my last Infiltrator playthrough.

Ken

I love the idea of this Challenge Weekend. I'm really glad they're supporting this online mode.

What do people think is the easiest class/build for taking out the Reapers? I do fine on Silver with my Vanguard, but I'm curious what other streamlined classes are better suited to the task.
Human Sentinel.

Cat Party

The technical limitations on PS3 thing REEKS of the SFxTK nonsense with exclusivity as well.

I call MS moneyhats. As if other games don't do promo weekends with on-disc content either. As far as infrastructure goes, Microsoft is the strictest across the board and it's hard to see PSN being locked out in something so commonplace.

LOL why would MS moneyhat a random BioWare challenge? PS3 likely sold by far the fewest copies of ME3. That's your reason.

Kenaras

I love playing my Vanguard against silver Reapers. Cerberus likes to cover the map in turrets, Geth have fast melee attacks which stagger you forever and Pyros which will drop you instantly if you don't keep them stunlocked. Reapers... the only thing a Vanguard really needs to worry about is OHKOs, which generally aren't a problem unless you try attacking a Banshee head-on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Human Sentinel.
How so? I have a levelled human Sentinel and I think the class is ass. The armor slowing down power regen is a huge negative making me barely ever use it.

LOL why would MS moneyhat a random BioWare challenge? PS3 likely sold by far the fewest copies of ME3. That's your reason.
Because MS promotes ME like crazy? And it's one of the multiplatform franchises they continually push to have the 360 version as the "best"?

Sales don't mean jack shit when it comes to creating inequality between products. Such a baseless correlation.

LosDaddie

Banned
No. To upgrade weapons you just need to get that weapon's card again. Once it reaches 10 it is removed from the pool of cards you can receive.

The Avenger is a common item which will show up in recruit packs so you can max it out just opening the cheapest pack..

Thanks for the info. I'm close to enough for a Spectre pack, so I'll get that next. And then just spam Recruit packs until my Avenger is upgraded enough.

Site wasn't loading for me but found the start/end time somewhere else:

Starts 5PM tonight.

The N7 Weekend will last through 5 a.m. Monday morning.

word

Ken

How so? I have a levelled human Sentinel and I think the class is ass. The armor slowing down power regen is a huge negative making me barely ever use it.

Tech Armor specced to decrease the power recharge penalty and a lightweight weapon that gets you as close to 200% power recharge speed lets me spam Throws very quickly. Warp is a little slower though, but Biotic Explosions do so much damage to Brutes and Banshees that I'm finding it's worth the speed penalty.

I'm using a Hornet with a 90% weight decrease mod so I can hit 200% power recharge and have a pretty powerful weapon.

Throws one-shot Husks, and the knockdown on most things is very helpful. Biotic Explosions are awesome for Ravagers since it takes out the Swarmers as well. Takes about 3 or 4 Biotic Explosions to bring down the Banshee's barriers, and a little more to bring down a Brute.

Kaper

Ahahahahh. So I decided to switch up my Sentinel play from Turian to Human, and my god is it beautiful. Explosions, explosions everywhere. I bring down gold Atlases so fast, it's awesome. Most games I don't even fire a single bullet from my pistol, it just takes away from my explody time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ahahahahh. So I decided to switch up my Sentinel play from Turian to Human, and my god is it beautiful. Explosions, explosions everywhere. I bring down gold Atlases so fast, it's awesome. Most games I don't even fire a single bullet from my pistol, it just takes away from my explody time.

Build please? :)

Top Bottom