• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Are you serious? I unlocked a Turian Soldier and it's easily the worst class I've played. Let's go over the skills:

1) Marksman: Don't see the benefit of this skill...seemed to do nothing to help me when using the Vindicator.
2) Concussion Shot: Nice to knockdown enemies (and has a quick cooldown) but does hardly any damage.
3) Proximity Mine: Unless I'm doing it wrong, I hardly see ANY value in this power.

So what am I missing here? Granted, I didn't level him very high, but after playing classes like the Drell/Asari Adept and the Engineer, this class just seemed useless.

I do, however, want to unlock a Krogan soldier. Only race (besides the two Quarians) I've yet to unlock!
They are entirely different playstyles.

Marksman lets you put a ridiculous amount of rounds out in a short burst. Concussion shot isn't meant to damage at all. Proximity mines are primarily for controlling the flow of goons and funneling.

Dreamer RD

There is one way to do it. If you have PS+ you can keep a backup of your settings file.

There is also one way to avoid lag, as EatChildren pointed out to earlier: Host your own games :D

I'm hosting Firebase White, Geth, Silver. Easy money.

I always host and lag still happens, also in story mode. I thought it's something with PS3, but friend had exactly same truobles with brand new console. Relaunching game helps. I think it's issue like in Skyrim with temporary files overload or something like that.

Kyoufu

I always host and lag still happens, also in story mode. I thought it's something with PS3, but friend had exactly same truobles with brand new console. Relaunching game helps. I think it's issue like in Skyrim with temporary files overload or something like that.

So what's your setup for Gold? Dual Nova with Pistol?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Are you serious? I unlocked a Turian Soldier and it's easily the worst class I've played. Let's go over the skills:

1) Marksman: Don't see the benefit of this skill...seemed to do nothing to help me when using the Vindicator.
2) Concussion Shot: Nice to knockdown enemies (and has a quick cooldown) but does hardly any damage.
3) Proximity Mine: Unless I'm doing it wrong, I hardly see ANY value in this power.

So what am I missing here? Granted, I didn't level him very high, but after playing classes like the Drell/Asari Adept and the Engineer, this class just seemed useless.

I do, however, want to unlock a Krogan soldier. Only race (besides the two Quarians) I've yet to unlock!

The key to Marksman is using the right weapon. If you try to use it with the wrong weapons the value will be non-obvious.

Remember the Revenant, the assault rifle with horrible accuracy, mediocre damage and a huge amount of bullets? With Marksmanship that becomes a heavy machinegun that chews things up. It'll take an Atlas down in a couple seconds once the shields are gone. It will eat up anything that tries to come at you in the open, Atlas, Prime, Brutes, Phantoms, Banshees, etc.

Concussion shot and/or prox mine are interrupts to keep you from getting shot while reloading your bullethose.

So I just gave the Krogan Soldier a go, and damn it is awesome. Even at level 1 I was keeping up with the much higher levels.

Also rocking a Geth Plasma Shotgun w/blade attached, and a Widow. Who needs powers anyway.

Kyoufu

Guys, if someone is idling in your game and not participating (basically leeching xp/creds) what do you do? Is there a way to boot him?

Don't think so. Had someone do that earlier on one of my games, so I just let the rest of my team die before getting myself killed. The guy still got something for nothing but at least it wasn't that much.

Fucking leeching little shits. Bioware really should allow people to kick them, or prevent them from gaining XP/Credits with no participation.

Guys, if someone is idling in your game and not participating (basically leeching xp/creds) what do you do? Is there a way to boot him?

I've noticed this a couple times too, and it's annoying. It should be easy enough for Bioware to code in something to see if the character is even being moved at all. No movement for 5 or 10 minutes? Auto-boot.

I don't know if letting players boot is the best idea, as people could really screw you over for no reason at all if they just wanted to troll. Oh, we're in Wave 11 now? Boot and no XP/credits for you!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Asari has the best melee attack in the game. :(

I'm now beasting as host, can score 90k easy. Never joining someone else's game ever again.
Naw, krogans because of the guaranteed stagger.

Asari vanguards can pull some heavy damage with some of the melee and charge perks. Its just harder to get by due to the lack of nova

Kyoufu

Holy crap, the randoms are so bad. They can't do simple things like run to the devices and press X on them.

Need to play with GAFers to maintain sanity.

Naw, krogans because of the guaranteed stagger.

Asari vanguards can pull some heavy damage with some of the melee and charge perks. Its just harder to get by due to the lack of nova

Yeah I don't really see myself using Asari Vanguard. Nova is absolutely vital for my survival.

rozay

Banned
Oh, my friend, you haven't used the N7 sniper rifle have you? The fully automatic heavy pistol is pretty cool too.

Phaeston. /thread

I don't play with snipers so I wouldn't know. The N7 pistol is neat, smg pointless (actually I wonder if a turian could find some use of it) and the shotgun is ultimately too heavy to use over a Claymore.

Stantron

I'm really curious to know if the community beat the 1m Brute challenge. I'm guessing we will be well over, but it would be funny if we just miss it considering the servers were down for the couple hours before it ended.

I don't play with snipers so I wouldn't know. The N7 pistol is neat, smg pointless (actually I wonder if a turian could find some use of it) and the shotgun is ultimately too heavy to use over a Claymore.

The neat thing about the N7 shotgun is that with a choke it can get perfect accuracy to the point where when you use it the cross hairs actually over lap. I never used it in the campaign, but I imagine it has some nasty headshots.

I'm really curious to know if the community beat the 1m Brute challenge. I'm guessing we will be well over, but it would be funny if we just miss it considering the servers were down for the couple hours before it ended.

Nah, they'll just give it to us if the total was barely missed. That's probably why there isn't a running counter, they're probably going to tell us we killed a million Brutes even if we weren't terribly close. They were just encouraging us to play.

Also you have to consider have gameplay feedback off. But then again, I guess it defaults to on and most people wouldn't care to turn it off.

Holy crap, the randoms are so bad. They can't do simple things like run to the devices and press X on them.

Last objective, wave 10, silver.

Level 15 Infiltrator who is too fucking stupid to cloak and go for the objective even though everyone else who goes for it is under heavy fire because it A) is in an open area and B) because the guy and some other teammate are too shitty to kill anything (score was 60K, 60K, 10K, 10K).

Mr I'm-going-to-do-fuck-all Infiltrator then gets downed, leaving the only other competent player in the game (a Drell Adept) to try and go for the objective with about 7 Marauders shooting him. Time runs out, mission failed.

Missed out on 20K credits and wasted half an hour of my time because of fucking scrub randoms.

(Also, Human Sentinel w/ fast cooldowns and Drell Adept utterly destroys everything. So many combination explosions.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the amount of "lol wat is objective?" playing is absurd. And it covers everything. Even extraction. Reapers on Silver on Firebase Glacier, team had it locked down better than ever, only a couple of deaths the entire match, all cleaning up banshees and brutes to make way for a clean extraction. Dumbass fucking Quarian infiltrator decides to piss off around the corner to give us extra cover. There's no pressure on them, easily surviving, and a clear, enemy free gap between him/her and the extraction zone. And she just sits there. Sniping guys. Meanwhile the three of us are in the extraction zone, time now in single digits, wondering why the fuck he/she isn't moving.

Partial extraction, less points. All because of this one fucking idiot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the amount of "lol wat is objective?" playing is absurd. And it covers everything. Even extraction. Reapers on Silver on Firebase Glacier, team had it locked down better than ever, only a couple of deaths the entire match, all cleaning up banshees and brutes to make way for a clean extraction. Dumbass fucking Quarian infiltrator decides to piss off around the corner to give us extra cover. There's no pressure on them, easily surviving, and a clear, enemy free gap between him/her and the extraction zone. And she just sits there. Sniping guys. Meanwhile the three of us are in the extraction zone, time now in single digits, wondering why the fuck he/she isn't moving.

In the grand scheme of things though, it's only like 10+k points.

The worst one I saw was where the guy was literally 10 feet away from the extraction zone, with all the time in the world to get there, with no enemies at all in the vicinity.

He didn't make it.

Ken

I'm not the most experienced here, but I think credits only come with waves 3, 6, and 10. The bonus credits are how fast you can do the objectives... but that's it.

I see. Makes sense, I think; I never really paid attention to all the points and credit pop ups on the screen.

I'm not the most experienced here, but I think credits only come with waves 3, 6, and 10. The bonus credits are how fast you can do the objectives... but that's it.

pretty sure this is how it works. That's why you shouldn't even bother with killing enemies on objective wave unless they are directly threatening you. Also wiping on wave 10 after completing the objective is fine.

Ikkarus

Found a really good team tonight for 4 silver games, all of which we survived on.

Team was:

2 x Asari Adept (1 was me)
1 x Human Sentinel
1 x Salarian Engineer

Biotic explosions were going off everywhere and we were chaining enemies together like mad. Played against the reapers 3 times and they were a cake walk, in one round we had 2 banshees and 2 brutes all in the same area but as soon as the biotic explosions started going off their health depleted rapidly. I was dishing out Throw whilst the other two were chucking out Throw.

I have to admit that the one round with the Geth was the hardest, Geth Hunter's are the biggest pain to me, they sneak up on me all the time and are bloody difficult to hit with a combo until their shield is worn out, still we managed to get through them eventually.

I do love it when I get working with a good team.

Kyoufu

Last objective, wave 10, silver.

Level 15 Infiltrator who is too fucking stupid to cloak and go for the objective even though everyone else who goes for it is under heavy fire because it A) is in an open area and B) because the guy and some other teammate are too shitty to kill anything (score was 60K, 60K, 10K, 10K).

Mr I'm-going-to-do-fuck-all Infiltrator then gets downed, leaving the only other competent player in the game (a Drell Adept) to try and go for the objective with about 7 Marauders shooting him. Time runs out, mission failed.

Missed out on 20K credits and wasted half an hour of my time because of fucking scrub randoms.

(Also, Human Sentinel w/ fast cooldowns and Drell Adept utterly destroys everything. So many combination explosions.)

I know how that feels.

Simplest mission you can do: Firebase White/Silver/Geth

Final scores: Me (as Vanguard) 100k
Random 1: 25k
Random 2: 20k
Random 3: 10k

How is it possible to get scores that low?

USIGSJ

Similar thing worked for the great tonight too. I was playing human sentinel, friend was using asari adept, there was salarian engineer, and forgot what was the fourth. Anyway every match was pretty cake walk on silver, though I feared that Glacier map against the Reapers might be troublesome, it went great also with all the biotic explosion spam from us. Human sentinel and asari adept combo really annihilate banshees, brutes and ravagers.

MNC

Do you need to completely complete the mission? I got disconnected midway off a friend, but I reconnected thereafter, missed a wave. Will I still get the N7 pack?

Wow, over 3 million brutes were killed during the weekend challenge. I wish I could have been a part of that.

Damn that's a lot of brutes. I guess it make sense if people were playing Gold matches. You get so many brutes on the last two waves. I can't imagine its very doable without at least one person spamming warps or incinerates.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Do you need to completely complete the mission? I got disconnected midway off a friend, but I reconnected thereafter, missed a wave. Will I still get the N7 pack?

Hmm, not sure.

Kyoufu

My best guess is as long as you finish the thing and see the mission success screen then you're golden, even if you came in late or whatever.

edit: EatChildren add me to the OP please kind sir! PSN: Kyoufu

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Had some great games as a Quarian engineer last night. I'm actually kinda hooked on this right now. It's a blast with a varied and well coordinated team. A lot of it's appeal is in playing as Mass Effect races and shooting faces in Mass Effect locations, but it's one of the better Horde modes I've played and the carrot on a stick leveling/unlock system makes it pretty addictive. Plus, the netcode has been surprisingly smooth for me, haven't dealt with much lag at all.

PC-Gaf needs to finally meet up for some games soon. It's always better with people you (barely) know.

Kyari

This game REALLY wants me to play Quarian Infiltrator, I have it for a third time now, so I guess on the plus side I can change my pattern... but I have no idea how to play it. I guess sniping is really the only way to go?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm beginning to hate Vanguard players and I know it's unfair to feel that way. It sucks sitting at the bottom of the scoreboard feeling totally useless to the team, especially when they're the ones that need reviving the most. CQB Infiltrator here.

PC-Gaf needs to finally meet up for some games soon. It's always better with people you (barely) know.

I would join people if game invitations worked and they still don't.

Top Bottom