• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Man, whoever decided to assign cover and revive to the same button should be paddled hard. Shit's not good when you're trying to revive a bro in a hectic situation.
This is really annoying yes. I understand that controllers dont have enough buttons, but goddamn bioware, i got like a 100 keys on my board because i am part of the master race!

eek5

This is really annoying yes. I understand that controllers dont have enough buttons, but goddamn bioware, i got like a 100 keys on my board because i am part of the master race!

They don't even use L3 and R3 on consoles in MP so it isn't because of a lack of buttons

GorillaJu

Why do I keep getting Salarian Infiltrator? I want Quarian god dammit. I now have Salarian down to Lights customizable. Quarian isn't even rare!

eek5

Why do I keep getting Salarian Infiltrator? I want Quarian god dammit. I now have Salarian down to Lights customizable. Quarian isn't even rare!

Salarian Infiltrator is the best one anyway!

Open veteran packs to get Quarian since it is only silver

GorillaJu

Yeah, I play better as Salarian. I just like the way the Quarian looks, and it's of course very fun controlling Geth.

The Salarian Infiltrator is serious business, but I think I may have built him pretty poorly. Need to promote and retry it.

Yeah, I play better as Salarian. I just like the way the Quarian looks, and it's of course very fun controlling Geth.

The Salarian Infiltrator is serious business, but I think I may have built him pretty poorly. Need to promote and retry it.

My Infiltrator build, works on gold against all factions:

6/6/0/6/6
Cloak: Damage, Recharge, Bonus Power
Energy Drain: Damage, Extra Shields, Damage
Racial: Power damage, Headshot damage, sniper rifle weight
Fitness: All health/shields

You could make a case for duration over damage on rank 4 of Cloak, but I think it lasts long enough as is. Damage over Radius for rank 4 on Energy Drain because you really need to get their shields down to set up a sniper kill. Same with rank 6 - Cloak should do enough to keep you alive.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love using the M-37 Falcon on my Krogan Sentinel, its a shame the gun is no way near as effective if you are not the host.

Same with shotguns, I've shot at enemies point blank with my claymore and only done a tiny bit of damage.

Alucrid

Banned
If you fire immediately after casting drain it still counts as a cloak shot.

I probably have the majority of character customizations now. I have every class unlocked. Except the Salarian Infiltrator :[
I also forgot the equipment packs were expiring so soon. I meant to stock up on cobras.

I use the Javelin though, so it has a slight delay while it charges. That and being able to stay cloaked after using power drain helps with my survival a bit too.

So I unlocked a Krogan Soldier last night (which just leaves me the two Quarians and I'll have every race unlocked), and I'm wondering how I should spec him out.

Anyone here roll a Krogan Soldier? That build site posted earlier (http://me3multiplayer.wordpress.com/) says to not spec grenades, but I find grenades to be pretty useful, especially since I have like over 50 ammo packs and recently got a card upping my in-game capacity to 3.

Still waiting for a good gun for him to use, though. Hmm....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you promote a class, do you lose unlocked characters?

McNum

So when is the time to stop buying Recruit packs and start buying Veteran or even Spectre packs?

My highest is still a level 12 Human Engineer, so I'm still a newbie, I think. Started not finishing last on Bronze, so that's nice. My only Uncommon is a Phalanx I gun, which is pretty nice. Well that and the Quarian Infiltrator.

I am kind of happy with all the Medi-Gel, rockets and ammo I get between each game with Recruit packs, though. Although... what key is rockets on the PC? And can you reassign power keys?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I saved 60k credits for a spectre pack yesterday, and i got that shitty white SMG rank 1. :( I knew i should have bought recruit packs instead.

Chocobro

So when is the time to stop buying Recruit packs and start buying Veteran or even Spectre packs?

My highest is still a level 12 Human Engineer, so I'm still a newbie, I think. Started not finishing last on Bronze, so that's nice. My only Uncommon is a Phalanx I gun, which is pretty nice. Well that and the Quarian Infiltrator.

I am kind of happy with all the Medi-Gel, rockets and ammo I get between each game with Recruit packs, though. Although... what key is rockets on the PC? And can you reassign power keys?

I think you should stop when you max out all of the starter guns and get a good chunk of the weapon mods. After spamming out Recruit Packs, I get so many character cards that I feel it is best to move onto Veteran Packs since I started consistently winning on gold with my squad

The MP is really stupid at time...

Why can't I remap my power ? Triangle for Charge requieres me to DROP the stick to actually charge... when L2 is unused...

McNum

I think you should stop when you max out all of the starter guns and get a good chunk of the weapon mods. After spamming out Recruit Packs, I get so many character cards that I feel it is best to move onto Veteran Packs since I started consistently winning on gold with my squad
Yeah, still running bronze here. Want better weapons and at least 3-4 more levels before considering silver. The Phalanx is a pretty nice gun, though. After playing multiplayer with it, I immediately bought one in singleplayer. Such a nice lightweight gun that still hits hard...

But I get two-three recruit packs off a bronze match, yet it would take two bronze matches to get even one Veteran pack. I do want more Phalanx upgrades, though.

Yeah, still running bronze here. Want better weapons and at least 3-4 more levels before considering silver. The Phalanx is a pretty nice gun, though. After playing multiplayer with it, I immediately bought one in singleplayer. Such a nice lightweight gun that still hits hard...

But I get two-three recruit packs off a bronze match, yet it would take two bronze matches to get even one Veteran pack. I do want more Phalanx upgrades, though.

I'm still spamming recruit packs until I get the basic guns up to X; plus, it's nice to have some decent weapon mods to go with them.

Bisnic

The MP is really stupid at time...

Why can't I remap my power ? Triangle for Charge requieres me to DROP the stick to actually charge... when L2 is unused...

And here i thought pressing 1 for Charge and 3 for Nova and not being able to change Nova for 2 was shit on PC. Haha.

Kyoufu

I have 5 move command on X.

Nothing on L2 and I can't map my button.

Just give us the controller mapping designer so we can burn him. It's just proof they never bother actually play their game

My L2 is unused also :( The pains of human vanguards :( *Novas a hundred times*

DarkKyo

Okay so we know the Victory packs will have special N7 guns... but what about the Commendation packs? Do we know what those will have yet?

What's the over/under on GAFs who think they earned the N7 Commendation Pack but end up getting screwed by Bioware? I'm putting it at 2.5, but that might be a little low.

alexel

For everyone complaining about losing due to random scrub teammates, I implore you to team up with me and my buds. I check the GAFME3 tag every time and no one actually accepts invites because they're most likely already in the middle of a game so please drop me your xbox live tag here or add mine.

My XBL tag: Drydog da Unwet
We run mostly Gold for the cash and have gotten very effective at it
Please just be a team player and definitely helps if you're decent at running Gold already
Preference for classes are either Infiltrator or Adept but really anything high level is acceptable

Shoot me a friend request or post here and I will add you. I'll probably be on later this afternoon ~2PM EST if anyone wants to get on some games.

I'm looking to do more Gold tonight - played a few times and won when I had good teammates. I wind up strong arming every silver match and winning hands down. What's the ideal setup as far as the 4 players, map and faction?

I have high level (18-19) rare classes like Asari Adept and Salarian Infiltrator, so what should I be, and what should the other folks be?

For everyone complaining about losing due to random scrub teammates, I implore you to team up with me and my buds. I check the GAFME3 tag every time and no one actually accepts invites because they're most likely already in the middle of a game so please drop me your xbox live tag here or add mine.

Please just be a team player and definitely helps if you're decent at running Gold already
Preference for classes are either Infiltrator or Adept but really anything high level is acceptable

Shoot me a friend request or post here and I will add you. I'll probably be on later this afternoon ~2PM EST if anyone wants to get on some games.
Send me an invite on Xbox (GT: Major Williams), I'm down for some games tonight around 2pm pacific. I've got some high levels.

dekjo

What's the over/under on GAFs who think they earned the N7 Commendation Pack but end up getting screwed by Bioware? I'm putting it at 2.5, but that might be a little low.

I'll definitely take the over on that. Make it 5.5 users who actually post complaining that they didn't get it when they think they should have, then I'd have to stop to think.

I would, but I don't think I'm good enough for Gold yet. Have some high level characters, but don't have great equipment. Can do Silver alright when working with a team that's actually talking and coordinating instead of trying to solo everything.

X-Frame

I think a big and possibly under utilized strategy for MP is controlling where enemies spawn by having players stand in areas they don't want the enemies to spawn from.

Having teammates spread out in certain enemy spawn points can force them into bottlenecks, areas of little cover, etc. I am trying to determine all of the spawn points as I play now so I can manipulate the battlefield a bit.

Most people stick together in the same spot all game and that could end up hurting them.

RyanDG

I think a big and possibly under utilized strategy for MP is controlling where enemies spawn by having players stand in areas they don't want the enemies to spawn from.

Having teammates spread out in certain enemy spawn points can force them into bottlenecks, areas of little cover, etc. I am trying to determine all of the spawn points as I play now so I can manipulate the battlefield a bit.

Most people stick together in the same spot all game and that could end up hurting them.

Yep. The easiest map to do this on is Firebase white. Because of the nature of the spawns, you can essentially make a t formation between the round begins (first guy at the top of the stairs, second guy down by the jet, third guy in the control room, and 4th guy behind the guy in the stairs near between the ammo spawn and the L corner). Essentially, if you get there in time, you'll funnel all the enemies into the Sniper kill zone where they have to come up the ladder to get to you (and will continue to do so as long s you have one guy periodically checking the hallway). Once it gets too hairy there, make a beeline for the back of the base (near where the downstairs control room is) but right outside where the cover system is. Be patient and let them come to you again, taking out what you can with your snipers/biotics, and then beeline it back to the base.

If you do this right, you can guarantee kill zones and funnel the guys. However, if someone misses their queue or doesn't follow instructions in terms of moving with the group, you can be easily screwed up.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
I had a really fun game the other day with my newly unlocked Salarian Infiltrator. I joined a bronze game just because I was low on time and just testing the WIFI in my new apt.

It still surprises me that while I always play with PUGs I almost always carry the team. So this round I was just showing a few people the game and testing so I wasn't really concerned with winning or carrying the team, but I ended up carrying anyways. Im still struggling kill heavy armored targets though. Advice?

Alucrid

Banned
I had a really fun game the other day with my newly unlocked Salarian Infiltrator. I joined a bronze game just because I was low on time and just testing the WIFI in my new apt.

It still surprises me that while I always play with PUGs I almost always carry the team. So this round I was just showing a few people the game and testing so I wasn't really concerned with winning or carrying the team, but I ended up carrying anyways. Im still struggling kill heavy armored targets though. Advice?
Like atlases or geth primes? Cloak + a good sniper brings them down in 5 hits or so on silver.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Like atlases or geth primes? Cloak + a good sniper brings them down in 5 hits or so on silver.

Well i can take out the banshee barrier pretty quick, but once they are all armor and im fighting brutes as well i struggle, especially when my whole team is horrible PUG peoples haha.

I had two full rounds where my entire team died and I was left cloaking and running around to win the entire match. It just took so long to take out the brutes and banshees when it was armor only. Ravagers are pretty easy with their soft underbellies though

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
So do you guys recommend buying a lot of the smaller packs first before Spectre packs?

Honestly after saving up multiple times for Spectre packs my advice is to buy 2x recruit packs for each bronze win, after a couple matched you should have enough for a vet pack. I recommend doing this until you can clear Silver matches for the higher credit wins.

IMO having lots of usable items and upgraded basic weapons and mods is much more useful and fun than having 1x gold weapon or character class after 6+ matches for one pack haha.

Stantron

I'm still spamming recruit packs until I get the basic guns up to X; plus, it's nice to have some decent weapon mods to go with them.

I'm trying to do this, but it seems like I'm getting nothing but human classes most of the time. Although I did unlock my asari adept via a recruitment pack.

milkham

Well i can take out the banshee barrier pretty quick, but once they are all armor and im fighting brutes as well i struggle, especially when my whole team is horrible PUG peoples haha.

I had two full rounds where my entire team died and I was left cloaking and running around to win the entire match. It just took so long to take out the brutes and banshees when it was armor only. Ravagers are pretty easy with their soft underbellies though

shoot the brutes in the butt. big unarmored area

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
shoot the brutes in the butt. big unarmored area

Yeah i try to go for headshots and butt shots when I can, is really difficult to get the butt shot when I'm the only one alive haha.

And yes, I did try to save them with stealth revives... but one can only stealth revive in the middle of a brute/banshees orgy so many times before you gotta just pull out.

Alucrid

Banned

With brutes I usually aim for the head or blue spinal area. Banshee are a pain. I just aim for the head when I can.

Bisnic

I was soloing a brute yesterday since all my teammates were on the other side of the map. Nothing feels more badass than dodging and rolling at every Brute's attempts to hit you with their gigantic arms while shooting and throwing biotics at them between each swings.

Cheech

I felt like a massive dickhead last night.

So I originally started this game out playing a Soldier, because I had the Battlefield guy and I thought he looked cool.

Last weekend I decided to try out a Vanguard. Not bad, but they really rely on your teammates sticking around. As I play with randoms, I was dying far too often.

This weekend, I tried an engineer. Holy *crap*. I was doing pretty well. Last night, I upgraded him to level 13/14, and got my droid and incinerate maxxed out. Well, the next game, I was so far ahead in points I felt bad for everybody else on my team because I was literally getting all the kills. I finished the game with 50k, everyone else was less than 25k. Wow. Clearly, I need to go to Silver with him, and Gold soonest.

Looking forward to seeing what gifts Bioware has left me tonight.

Alucrid

Banned
I felt like a massive dickhead last night.

So I originally started this game out playing a Soldier, because I had the Battlefield guy and I thought he looked cool.

Last weekend I decided to try out a Vanguard. Not bad, but they really rely on your teammates sticking around. As I play with randoms, I was dying far too often.

This weekend, I tried an engineer. Holy *crap*. I was doing pretty well. Last night, I upgraded him to level 13/14, and got my droid and incinerate maxxed out. Well, the next game, I was so far ahead in points I felt bad for everybody else on my team because I was literally getting all the kills. I finished the game with 50k, everyone else was less than 25k. Wow. Clearly, I need to go to Silver with him, and Gold soonest.

Looking forward to seeing what gifts Bioware has left me tonight.
Everyone ends up with the same xp and credits. What is there to feel bad about?

Top Bottom