• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Kyoufu

I felt like a massive dickhead last night.

So I originally started this game out playing a Soldier, because I had the Battlefield guy and I thought he looked cool.

Last weekend I decided to try out a Vanguard. Not bad, but they really rely on your teammates sticking around. As I play with randoms, I was dying far too often.

This weekend, I tried an engineer. Holy *crap*. I was doing pretty well. Last night, I upgraded him to level 13/14, and got my droid and incinerate maxxed out. Well, the next game, I was so far ahead in points I felt bad for everybody else on my team because I was literally getting all the kills. I finished the game with 50k, everyone else was less than 25k. Wow. Clearly, I need to go to Silver with him, and Gold soonest.

Looking forward to seeing what gifts Bioware has left me tonight.

Vanguard is pretty boss as a lone wolf when you get dual nova and full shield charge. Before that though it's pretty painful unless your team is with you lol

Cheech

Everyone ends up with the same xp and credits. What is there to feel bad about?

It's annoying when somebody keeps stealing your kills repeatedly. The thing is, the engineer is such easy mode on Bronze, I pretty much just had to stand in one spot and keep tossing droids back out there, then keep my rifle shooting in between incinerate cooldowns.

That said, lesson learned. I will be playing a couple rounds of Silver, and then maybe give Gold a shot once my engineer hits 18 or so.

this guy

For everyone complaining about losing due to random scrub teammates, I implore you to team up with me and my buds. I check the GAFME3 tag every time and no one actually accepts invites because they're most likely already in the middle of a game so please drop me your xbox live tag here or add mine.

My XBL tag: Drydog da Unwet
We run mostly Gold for the cash and have gotten very effective at it
Please just be a team player and definitely helps if you're decent at running Gold already
Preference for classes are either Infiltrator or Adept but really anything high level is acceptable

Shoot me a friend request or post here and I will add you. I'll probably be on later this afternoon ~2PM EST if anyone wants to get on some games.
Won't be on that early, but Gold is the plan for me right now. I'm running a level 20 asari adept while I build up credits.

XBL: ithinkijustwon

So I unlocked a Krogan Soldier last night (which just leaves me the two Quarians and I'll have every race unlocked), and I'm wondering how I should spec him out.

Anyone here roll a Krogan Soldier? That build site posted earlier (http://me3multiplayer.wordpress.com/) says to not spec grenades, but I find grenades to be pretty useful, especially since I have like over 50 ammo packs and recently got a card upping my in-game capacity to 3.

Still waiting for a good gun for him to use, though. Hmm....

Krogan melee is extremely strong if you can keep his kill procs up.

Cheech

Vanguard is pretty boss as a lone wolf when you get dual nova and full shield charge. Before that though it's pretty painful unless your team is with you lol

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't get that far up the Nova tech tree. What I'd do is Warp, hit Nova, and then run the hell out of there before my no-shielded ass got owned!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Geth are so boring and free.

The Hunters are a great touch, but they could really use another enemy type. Pyros aren't even threatening... hell, I don't even bother with addressing them directly. Just divert all my attention to Primes from behind cover while occasionally grabbing any Pyro that gets close. I don't know why Sappers and Hoppers didn't make it into MP. Even if they don't add another tank type enemy like Brutes, they'd greatly benefit from a support unit like the Marauder or Combat Engineer.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
It's annoying when somebody keeps stealing your kills repeatedly. The thing is, the engineer is such easy mode on Bronze, I pretty much just had to stand in one spot and keep tossing droids back out there, then keep my rifle shooting in between incinerate cooldowns.

That said, lesson learned. I will be playing a couple rounds of Silver, and then maybe give Gold a shot once my engineer hits 18 or so.

I love the human engineer! I took my level 12 into a gold game, they wanted to kick me but I begged them over headset and showed them my willingness to use level III equipments and happily blow all my gels/rockets etc

they agreed to let me stay for one round, and we won haha. First and only gold win thus far and I felt like a BOSS. haha

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They should've had Geth Colossi. Unfortunately the map design doesn't really tend to them well. Or at least mini-colossi that were more deadly.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Last night I decided to look around about the Falcon, cause when I got it a few days ago I posted that it was just alright, but since I read up that it had a stupid glitch when you're not host - that it'll shoot blanks if you shoot it too fast. Now that I know this and shoot slower, it one of the best I used - it's perfect for stunning crowds (except for the other people that love to headshot), but keeping a crowd stunned keeps them from shooting US, and it stuns everyone except the big dog for each faction. Even better is that when someone gets downed, like I just experienced a while ago, I can keep everyone else off the two while they revive and get away safely.

I hope they fix it soon, because it's already this good while using timed shots, it's should even be better when rapid-firing it. Gonna try it in a bit to stun people after I charge people with the Drell Vanguard like I read somewhere too.

DY_nasty

Seeing my friend play Asari Vanguard with a Disciple w/melee boost and clip size upgrade... cray
They should've had Geth Colossi. Unfortunately the map design doesn't really tend to them well. Or at least mini-colossi that were more deadly.
Yeah... Colossi wouldn't work. But something. The Geth just don't impose the same kind of threat that the other enemy types do. Cerberus will slowly press you until you're forced to get up and move then they slice you up the moment you leave cover. Reavers are just fucking fast and they're in your kitchen cooking your grits 1 minute into a wave.

The Geth though... what? They slowly march at you in a straight line. If they're going to keep that pattern, they should at least get the ability to send shit at you over or around cover and not be completely outclassed by Cerberus when it comes to direct, steady pressure. Emphasize that Geth group synergy by giving them a support/command unit that has them not act like a RE5 zombie horde, add in hoppers/sappers that keep you distracted from the slow march by taking your aim upwards, give them an artillery unit that acts similarly to the ravager - a mini-Collosi... (Rocket Troopers are a joke). There's a lot they could do. A lot I hope they do, because all of these enemies are a blast to fight. Just hope that the Geth keep up.

Haint

I felt like a massive dickhead last night.

So I originally started this game out playing a Soldier, because I had the Battlefield guy and I thought he looked cool.

Last weekend I decided to try out a Vanguard. Not bad, but they really rely on your teammates sticking around. As I play with randoms, I was dying far too often.

This weekend, I tried an engineer. Holy *crap*. I was doing pretty well. Last night, I upgraded him to level 13/14, and got my droid and incinerate maxxed out. Well, the next game, I was so far ahead in points I felt bad for everybody else on my team because I was literally getting all the kills. I finished the game with 50k, everyone else was less than 25k. Wow. Clearly, I need to go to Silver with him, and Gold soonest.

Looking forward to seeing what gifts Bioware has left me tonight.

Everyone ends up with the same xp and credits. What is there to feel bad about?

People have sent me hater voice messages cussing me out for dominating matches. Some people take the scoring seriously, whether they realize it's divided equally or not.

this guy

People have sent me hater voice messages cussing me out for dominating matches. Some people take the scoring seriously, whether they realize it's divided equally or not.
Well anyone who does that is missing the fundamental point of the game then. Haters gonna hate.

Kyoufu

I just got some guy telling me that Charge/Nova ruins Bronze games......... dude I'm fucking level 6.......

Omega

Banned
When are the Victory Packs and Commendation Packs supposed to be up? I did all the requirements and nothing is up yet..

DY_nasty

Well anyone who does that is missing the fundamental point of the game then. Haters gonna hate.

In a somewhat related note... reviving party members 5 times in a match should net more points. Infiltrators don't get enough love for their 2nd role as combat medics.
Do specific weapons have higher melee damage than others? for instance shotgun > Pistol
No, but certain weapons get melee mods and some weapons are better suited for melee due to their chance to stagger.
When are the Victory Packs and Commendation Packs supposed to be up? I did all the requirements and nothing is up yet..
5PM Pacific

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
In a somewhat related note... reviving party members 5 times in a match should net more points. Infiltrators don't get enough love for their 2nd role as combat medics.

I've had at least 20 in one match even before Wave 6, I was glad we completed it too or else that would've been a waste.

Kyoufu

Wow I didn't know you could save teammates grabbed by Banshees if you kill them before the killing blow is dealt. Nice.

Omega

Banned

No, but certain weapons get melee mods and some weapons are better suited for melee due to their chance to stagger.

5PM Pacific

Oh ok thanks. I saw it said the 20th but I didn't know there was a specific time.

Is that DJ Augustin in your profile pic? If so..why does he have a halo? lol

DY_nasty

^^ Yes, DJ "Saint" Augustin or DJ Messiah. He's too good for this world. Definitely too good for the Bobcats.
Wow I didn't know you could save teammates grabbed by Banshees if you kill them before the killing blow is dealt. Nice.

I didn't think you needed to *kill* the Banshee. Not sure if its just bad connections or whatever, but I've seen guys dropped by doing significant amounts of damage.

I've also noticed that guys can die from other enemies while being held up by a Bashee - they can be revived as long as the getting impaled part isn't what kills them.

Yaska

Also note that if you disabled the send feedback function, you won't get unlocks. (No idea if this only applies to the silver challenge)

Mindlog

Killing is the most reliable way, but any stagger will also cause the Banshee to drop an ally.

As badass as the Krogan Sentinel is, I really should stop melee-ing banshees
Same things happens to me. Once you start flinging enemies everywhere it's kind of hard to stop.

Orca

I had the opposite. A pair of Vanguards in Bronze matches that were cussing out me (infiltrator) and the other guy (Sentinel one match, Engineer the next) for "doing nothing" based on the scores. Meanwhile those heroes did nothing on the objectives at all, just sat out there racking up 'l33t kills' for themselves. They weren't even reviving each other, I had to do that...

The two of us lasted two matches before we quit out at the third wave of the third match. I really doubt they managed to complete the hack by themselves.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Anyone know if the Incisor (3 round burst sniper) gets the cloak damage bonus on all three rounds?

It should. I can tell you in practice though that even with an Incisor X I still prefer a Widow V. That might just be my style of play, though.

If I had someone do that in a Bronze match, I would just refuse to revive them if they died. Most classes can solo Bronze and if you were the Infilitrator comboed with either a Sentinel or Engineer, you can definitely duo. Let them waste. :p

I actually do that now if the vanguard dies more than once in a round off on the other side of the map by himself. Just leave him there. I can finish up the round myself *and* have more fun than I would have otherwise. When I'm on Infiltrator I make a point of keeping the really good players alive but anybody else I don't bother with, they're just dragging the team down with their mistakes. I can finish most non-objective rounds all by myself, even if it takes awhile.

RyanDG

I had the opposite. A pair of Vanguards in Bronze matches that were cussing out me (infiltrator) and the other guy (Sentinel one match, Engineer the next) for "doing nothing" based on the scores. Meanwhile those heroes did nothing on the objectives at all, just sat out there racking up 'l33t kills' for themselves. They weren't even reviving each other, I had to do that...

The two of us lasted two matches before we quit out at the third wave of the third match. I really doubt they managed to complete the hack by themselves.

If I had someone do that in a Bronze match, I would just refuse to revive them if they died. Most classes can solo Bronze and if you were the Infilitrator comboed with either a Sentinel or Engineer, you can definitely duo. Let them waste. :p

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Decided to host a game as a Vanguard for the first time...and three other human vanguards joined.

It was easily the most ridiculous experience ever, clearing Bronze matches in 14 minutes. Took down Banshees in seconds.

Orca

Revive medals :D

alexel

It'd be nice if alexel didn't kick me out of ME3 every time I want to play MP with him.

<3

Won't be on that early, but Gold is the plan for me right now. I'm running a level 20 asari adept while I build up credits.

XBL: ithinkijustwon

I'm looking to do more Gold tonight - played a few times and won when I had good teammates. I wind up strong arming every silver match and winning hands down. What's the ideal setup as far as the 4 players, map and faction?

I have high level (18-19) rare classes like Asari Adept and Salarian Infiltrator, so what should I be, and what should the other folks be?

Send me an invite on Xbox (GT: Major Williams), I'm down for some games tonight around 2pm pacific. I've got some high levels.

Haha don't worry Adam, you know that 4th spot is for you if you're down to play. We just need extra recruits for the times when Fine Wine, Django, and I aren't online at the same time.

I added the other two xbl gamertags so look for a friend request coming in from me. Hopping on in a little bit if anyone else wants to run some gold =)

Troll

Banned
Krogan Sentinel help

For Shotty should I go Claymore or Spike Thrower?

I just picked up the Pistol Shotgun thing, is that any good?

and M99 Saber vs Falcon.

Or should I run with a Sniper Rifle?

Orca

Decided to host a game as a Vanguard for the first time...and three other human vanguards joined.

It was easily the most ridiculous experience ever, clearing Bronze matches in 14 minutes. Took down Banshees in seconds.

I had the same sort of thing when I unlocked the Salarian Engineer. Started a Geth match and three Engineers joined. It was almost laughable.

alexel

Alright,

friend requests sent out to Revolver Ned, ithinkijustwon, and Major Williams. We'll definitely try to get a couple of you guys in some games tonight if you're on. If anyone else wants to play, please feel free to let me or Djangosolarboy1 know; however, I'll have to give these gentleman priority since they did msg me first.

Can't wait for these special packs unlocking this afternoon.

eek5

So when is the time to stop buying Recruit packs and start buying Veteran or even Spectre packs?

My highest is still a level 12 Human Engineer, so I'm still a newbie, I think. Started not finishing last on Bronze, so that's nice. My only Uncommon is a Phalanx I gun, which is pretty nice. Well that and the Quarian Infiltrator.

I am kind of happy with all the Medi-Gel, rockets and ammo I get between each game with Recruit packs, though. Although... what key is rockets on the PC? And can you reassign power keys?

Eventually you'll stop seeing mods/guns in your recruit packs. Whenever I open a recruit pack now I just get consumables

Tsukumo

Are you serious? I unlocked a Turian Soldier and it's easily the worst class I've played. Let's go over the skills:

1) Marksman: Don't see the benefit of this skill...seemed to do nothing to help me when using the Vindicator.
2) Concussion Shot: Nice to knockdown enemies (and has a quick cooldown) but does hardly any damage.
3) Proximity Mine: Unless I'm doing it wrong, I hardly see ANY value in this power.

Marksman it's an ability that completely subverts the usefulness of assault rifles: avengers and revenants become portable turrets, while the most powerful ones become almost useless. If there is no lag, you can easily get highest score on bronze and silver by equipping ammo bonuses.
Concussive shot is very helpful to you and your mates if you like teamwork, it's like a focused shockwave. Also its final skill branch allows you to acquire the property of the ammo bonus on the shot. Now, concussive shot is specced to work in combo with overload (disruptor ammo) and cryo blast, which means that if you equip cryo ammo or disruptor ammo you get a weapon capable of shooting combo attacks every 1/2 seconds. And guess what happens when you shoot a banshee's barrier with a concussive shot powered with warp ammo ^___^
Granted there are classes that output this one by far, but then again I like that this multi is cohesive to the gameplay on single player: with a little bit of effort, patience to test out all the skills, and the right equipment any class can hold its ground. They made a really impressive job.

I know how that feels.
Simplest mission you can do: Firebase White/Silver/Geth
Final scores: Me (as Vanguard) 100k
Random 1: 25k
Random 2: 20k
Random 3: 10k
How is it possible to get scores that low?

The vanguard has two powers which can be specced to do area damage (charge and nova) and seem to make no distinction between any type of protection, can cover any distance in a second, they have an high shield count which means they can act reckless even on silver, and veeeery fast cooldown rates. It's not you, it's the vanguard class.

Man, whoever decided to assign cover and revive to the same button should be paddled hard. Shit's not good when you're trying to revive a bro in a hectic situation.

The people who designed this multi must have played a lot of Horde...
ON GEARS 2

They don't even use L3 and R3 on consoles in MP so it isn't because of a lack of buttons

Every time I switch to multi I've to actually check where is the Overload button...seriously Bioware: I can customize the power wheel in single player but I can't in multi? Just come up with some menu for the pre-game lobby where I can assign abilities on the joypad the way I want.

So I unlocked a Krogan Soldier last night (which just leaves me the two Quarians and I'll have every race unlocked), and I'm wondering how I should spec him out.

Anyone here roll a Krogan Soldier? That build site posted earlier (http://me3multiplayer.wordpress.com/) says to not spec grenades, but I find grenades to be pretty useful, especially since I have like over 50 ammo packs and recently got a card upping my in-game capacity to 3.

Still waiting for a good gun for him to use, though. Hmm....

IMO Soldiers should always be specced for weapon damage on the race skill tree. I don't know if lift grenades scale with power damage or weapon damage, but if they scale with weapon damage then I'd go grenades all the way. They can clear an area much faster and much more precisely than a cobra, and they are very helpful if you have a downed teammate completely surrounded or if an hacking device is located right in front of an enemy respawn -__-

Not to brag, but I've cleared Silver in 12:37 before. We ran two engineers, both with the three-jump Overload, and two Asari Adepts. We all were only using the M-6 Carnifex with barrel and scope.

Vanguards are good, but they seem counter-productive in silver/gold, where you can get downed by an enemy's fart.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I actually do that now if the vanguard dies more than once in a round off on the other side of the map by himself. Just leave him there. I can finish up the round myself *and* have more fun than I would have otherwise. When I'm on Infiltrator I make a point of keeping the really good players alive but anybody else I don't bother with, they're just dragging the team down with their mistakes. I can finish most non-objective rounds all by myself, even if it takes awhile.

As well you should. Hell, I mainly play Vanguard and I'd rather have you clear a wave without me than end up getting yourself killed trying to revive me. Live by the charge, die by the banshee you accidentally targeted. >_<

exYle

With brutes I usually aim for the head or blue spinal area. Banshee are a pain. I just aim for the head when I can.

If you shoot them in the tit, it provides the same amount of damage (if not more), and is a considerably more reliable target, as hitting the banshee's tendrils on its head doesn't count as a hit.

rozay

Banned
Wouldn't shooting them in the belly be most effective since it'd do the same amount of damage and it's a large target? I thought I saw a dev comment mentioning that was the best place to aim.

Top Bottom