• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Omega |OT| Fuck with Aria [Out now]

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Because it is all pretty much required to take place during the story rather than post story and the ending destroys any desire to revisit the main story.

You know all endings are shitty so who cares if you save Omega?

ME2 used the Shadowbroker as a bridge between the two games, that is far more interesting and it works perfectly fine with the ending of the game.

The endings might be shit, but nothing was wiped or completely eradicated in the end(well, if we ignore Geths i guess), so why making such a big deal about "Why should i care about Aria or Leviathans?". The Citadel still exist, Mass Relays still exist, Omega still exist, Tuchanka still exist, the ME races still exist, so what's the problem?

Might as well say "Why should i care about Overlord in ME2 if I know the Reapers are gonna fuck shit up in ME3 anyway?"

Honestly, i buy DLC for their gameplay and to see new areas and characters and storylines. Not because "Oh, but this and that happen later, so why bother?". If i was thinking like this, i would have never bother buying something like the Missing Link for Deux Ex HR and miss a good DLC.

There are remains of the base, The Shadow Broker comments on it as far as ME2 and depending on your choice the Illusive man has the entire human-reaper larva or just it's main engine.
AKA your choice didn't matter. Just like when Jake Shepard killed the last rachni queen. Oh wait! The Reapers had one hidden up their ass, so it didn't matter. LOL
it doesn't ignore anything, the Illusive an was obsessed with controlling the Reapers since the beginning, and he went too far. It's possible it was the Reapers' plan all along since his eyes come from getting in contact with a Reaper device and the VI in Thessia mentions there's always a faction during the war obsessed with controlling them every cycle.
None of that has anything to do with Cerberus suddenly having a bigger military than the Alliance.

Brief breakdown of Cerberus prior to ME3 -

ME1: very small rouge branch of Alliance special ops conducting genetic experiments

ME2: more fleshed out but small terrorist group, requires Shepard to recruit a 'dirty dozen' for his mission (an entire game is spent on this)

ME3: has a bigger, better equipped military than the Alliance through the shoehorned plot device of that sanctuary planet (that acts as Palpatine's clone army) and scavenged Reaper tech from the base Shepard destroyed at the end of ME2 (player choice to destroy or preserve Collector base didn't matter).

Nothing of Cerberus's status follows from what came before in ME1 and 2; neither from plot nor the player's choices. The 'EU' shit of the comics or whatever doesn't provide sufficient explanation nor does it count if it did: the only thing that matters is what is in the games.

You're making excuses for BioWare.

Unless Bioware re-invents their animation techniques and engine, next-generation is going to be very rough for them if you look at how full-motion capturing is setting the bar at the moment. E.g.

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

If they want to meet the standard of animation next generation, they would have to trim their scope down from large RPGs sprawling with characters to linear, small-scale games, I think. Such as Uncharted.
ME3's problem wasn't faces. It was the 'shit your pants' run animation.

Massa

Unless Bioware re-invents their animation techniques and engine, next-generation is going to be very rough for them if you look at how full-motion capturing is setting the bar at the moment. E.g.

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

If they want to meet the standard of animation next generation, they would have to trim their scope down from large RPGs sprawling with characters to linear, small-scale games, I think. Such as Uncharted.

They have so much more dialogue in their games than the Uncharteds that it's just not even worth comparing.

Bisnic

I'm not really talking about the gameplay. You can't deny the endings cheapen/effect the story aspect of these DLCs.

Well, it sucks knowing that Shepard
will still die in the end
when you play DLCs, but that's about it. What happens with the
Catalyst/Starchild and its magic beam
does not cheapen anything for me because I know the rest of the galaxy survived and managed to rebuild everything.

Arjen

I actually think it will do well due to great gameplay, story, multiplayer, good sales and a fantastic universe they created.

I still love the Me3 haters still raging due to the ending. The game is fantastic and the large multiplayer base confirms there is loyalty to the franchise.

I still dispise the ending but i enjoyed Leviathan a lot, that's because it added more interesting stuff to to the universe. This seems to be just a bland side mission with hardly any lore expanding story. Free omega gain war assets, that doesn't seem interesing to me at all.
But if i'm proven wrong and this turns out to have an amazing story i'll gladly play it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Might as well say "Why should i care about Overlord in ME2 if I know the Reapers are gonna fuck shit up in ME3 anyway?"
Probably because nobody really knew what was going to happen in ME3.

I still dispise the ending but i enjoyed Leviathan a lot, that's because it added more interesting stuff to to the universe. This seems to be just a bland side mission with hardly any lore expanding story. Free omega gain war assets, that doesn't seem interesing to me at all.
But if i'm proven wrong and this turns out to have an amazing story i'll gladly play it.
It isn't interesting, which is why I strongly oppose a sequel about anything other than something epic. However, I am curious about the new Husks.

Bisnic

Probably because nobody really knew what was going to happen in ME3.

Well, for me it was kind of obvious that in ME3 Reapers would destroy a lot of shit and would probably render what happened in Overlord completely pointless. But I didn't care, because the DLC was fun to play.

Patryn

AKA your choice didn't matter. Just like when Jake Shepard killed the last rachni queen. Oh wait! The Reapers had one hidden up their ass, so it didn't matter. LOL
None of that has anything to do with Cerberus suddenly having a bigger military than the Alliance.

Brief breakdown of Cerberus prior to ME3 -

ME1: very small rouge branch of Alliance special ops conducting genetic experiments

ME2: more fleshed out but small terrorist group, requires Shepard to recruit a 'dirty dozen' for his mission (an entire game is spent on this)

ME3: has a bigger, better equipped military than the Alliance through the shoehorned plot device of that sanctuary planet (that acts as Palpatine's clone army) and scavenged Reaper tech from the base Shepard destroyed at the end of ME2 (player choice to destroy or preserve Collector base didn't matter).

Nothing of Cerberus's status follows from what came before in ME1 and 2; neither from plot nor the player's choices. The 'EU' shit of the comics or whatever doesn't provide sufficient explanation nor does it count if it did: the only thing that matters is what is in the games.

You're making excuses for BioWare.

Don't forget that they imply that the IM poured most of his resources into reviving Shepard and getting her set up in ME2. Yet suddenly, he has all these new facilities and resources to draw upon.

Probably cause there's a lot of potential for the story when you've gained the trust of a kid who can control machines with his mind, especially since y'know, the main threat of the series happen to be mechanical.

It's too bad they did absolutely nothing with David except give you a cache of weapons.

Jhoan

Love the OP. It's one of the funniest OT's this year. Nice job, EatChildren.

As an extra bonus you should've added "Will I get to ride a Turian rickshaw" to the list of questions. But I still love it.

I won't be getting it any time soon, but I will be reading impressions. Hopefully Bioware Montreal's first stab at the ME mantle will be good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

Frostbite 2 uses EA Sports' animation system, so I can't imagine they're using anything else.

Performance capture is another thing though, which I'm not sure they'll do. It'd be incredibly expensive for an RPG.

I fully expect ME4 to jettison even more RPG elements to be an Uncharted / Gears of War clone with some paragon & renegade dialogue segments and a robust MP mode.

I wish I was kidding.

DangerStepp

Not gonna lie.

Chakwas = GILF.

I've wanted to hook up with her since ME2. I had high hopes for when we cracked that bottle of brandy in ME3.

Bisnic

Not gonna lie.

Chakwas = GILF.

I've wanted to hook up with her since ME2. I had high hopes for when we cracked that bottle of brandy in ME3.

That creepy "chair turning" she does in ME2 in the Normandy always made me sure i kept my distance from her.

RdN

Aria's voice seemed different in the trailer.. like they changed the voice actress (which was the lady from Matrix, IIRC).

Any info on this?

RedSwirl

Oh wait it's $14.99? God damnit EA. I better start hearing that it's a shitload better than Leviathan.

Skyrim is a RPG with animation problems and it does just fine.

Cheap animation seems to still be common across WRPGs, even ones as otherwise visually impressive as The Witcher 2. As systemic and procedural as a lot of those games are, I imagine they just don't focus as much on cinematic, pre-scripted character animation.

Prologue

Can you be female in ME1? I was thinking about buying these two DLC but I wouldn't mind a play through as a female this time around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can you be female in ME1? I was thinking about buying these two DLC but I wouldn't mind a play through as a female this time around.

Can you be male?

Lime

Frostbite 2 uses EA Sports' animation system, so I can't imagine they're using anything else.

Performance capture is another thing though, which I'm not sure they'll do. It'd be incredibly expensive for an RPG.

Yeah, but Frostbite 2 unfortunately doesn't automatically ensure proper animation, c.f. NFS: The Run. In regards to the expensiveness: This is probably why Bioware needs to find some reliance on an automated/procedural (at least facial) animation system that'll take care of their workload without losing to quality in comparison to the standards set by full motion capture next generation. Or else they will have to scale their design scope down, i.e. Uncharted in Space.

Skyrim is a RPG with animation problems and it does just fine.

Skyrim doesn't rely so much on its storytelling as the Mass Effect series.

Oh god that trailer looked badass. Stopped playing it mid way to avoid spoils.

It took a LOT of motivation out of me to play through Leviathan because of the ME3 ending, but when I did it actually rekindled a lot of my love for the series. This looks great as well... Mass Effect should just be a platform for DLC missions and nothing else.

It is my favorite scifi/space universe in any entertainment outlet.

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

Jesus that's beautiful. Even if it is prerendered... amazing what people are able to do. I still have a hard time rendering realistic metal shaders.

- J - D -

I really wanted to start another ME3 run to get ready for this, but alas, no time. Will just replay leviathan, then lead into this.

I can't imagine it being more expensive. They have to do body mocap and facial animations separate now, performance capture would allow them to capture everything or at least body + voice together at the same time. At least the bigger conversations could benefit greatly from this.

Darknessbear said:
Jesus that's beautiful. Even if it is prerendered
The thing is, that is real time. They are other scenes with player control that have a similar level of detail. Of course there is not much AI going on, which saves them some render power to do this stuff in real time, but it's impressive nonetheless. Good indicator what early Next Gen should look like.

Top Bottom