• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
IF that's the case...then I'm fine with this.

So it's the same as it always was except in "cinematic exciting" circumstances? Like when Reapers are tearing shit up on Earth?

It seems so. There's just going to be a lot of "cinematic exciting" scenes in this game, so it will be more noticeable.

sp3000

What the hell is going on, there are people saying there are just as much dialogue options as ME1 and 2. Are you SURE you're playing in RPG mode? How far are you into the game? I've seen the investigate option in plenty of videos so far.

Yes, I'm using RPG mode. If I wasn't there wouldn't be any dialogue options at all. If you don't believe me, watch a playthrough on youtube where Shepard is having a conversation with his squadmates on the Normandy. Most of the conversation will play through with Shepard talking by himself, and then there will usually be a dialog option at the end that is either Paragon or Renegade. I've seen no neutral options at all. Anyone who is further in the game might be able to confirm neutral options, but I'm pretty sure they have been totally removed.

Derrick01

Banned
There are slightly less options than the past games, but based on what I've played, some people are blowing it out of proportion. It gets better as the game goes on.

I'm glad it gets better and everything but I'm still not happy you supposedly go a few hours with almost 0 dialog choices. It's puzzling to me how this series keeps going backwards in some areas.

Yes, I'm using RPG mode. If I wasn't there wouldn't be any dialogue options at all. If you don't believe me, watch a playthrough on youtube where Shepard is having a conversation with his squadmates on the Normandy. Most of the conversation will play through with Shepard talking by himself, and then there will usually be a dialog option at the end that is either Paragon or Renegade. I've seen no neutral options at all

I've watched some videos and there's been the "Investigate" options pretty often. How far are you into the game?

Pollux

I'm glad it gets better and everything but I'm still not happy you supposedly go a few hours with almost 0 dialog choices. It's puzzling to me how this series keeps going backwards in some areas.

It's not puzzling. BioWare wants to make a Gears of War-esque game. They don't want to make games like KOTOR or ME1 or anything like that anymore. It's a tragedy, but it is the way it is.

~Kinggi~

Banned

It's not puzzling, its easy. More options = more work and more time. Save dem monies!

sp3000

I've watched some videos and there's been the "Investigate" options pretty often. How far are you into the game?

The investigate option has shown up a few times, but it's seems to be much less than ME2. I'm only a few hours in but so far it just doesn't feel like Mass Effect with the amount of missions that have simply involved combat with a cutscene at the end, rather than dialog options. The game is far more action centric

Even then that's not what's really bothering me though, it's that every dialogue choice is either paragon or renegade. It really feels forced and kills roleplay, especially when the two options are so far apart and there is no middle ground.

Yeah textures aren't any different from the demo on first glance. Kinda disappointing.

Yeah, the texture are really blurry in some areas. I hope they release a texture pack but I doubt it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's not puzzling, its easy. More options = more work and more time. Save dem monies!

Honestly for a game like this I would rather have the climax and more interesting sections of the game be fully fleshed out and the intro/less important sections more streamlined. I'm not saying that the fewer dialogue options early on aren't disappointing, it absolutely is, but if it results in more memorable moments later on I'll be satisfied.

sp3000

Honestly for a game like this I would rather have the climax and more interesting sections of the game be fully fleshed out and the intro/less important sections more streamlined. I'm not saying that the fewer dialogue options early on aren't disappointing, it absolutely is, but if it results in more memorable moments later on I'll be satisfied.

That's not what's really the issue. It's that a lot of conversations that feel like they should have options just have Shepard talking. It's like, you really want to say something in this talk with a squad member, but you aren't allowed to and Shepard just talks for you.

If the conversations were simple like in Bethesda games, it wouldn't matter as much. However, they are quite in depth here and the lack of choice really sucks.

Cheech

Gotta recreate that face since ME1 didn't have face codes...sucks don't it? I'm in the same boat.

My femshep transferred ok from me1 -> me2 -> me3 demo. She looks way hotter in me3, but it's recognizably her. She lost a scar and picked up freckles, but that was the only substantive change.

So, it looks like pre-order DLC is platform specific, at least according to the Bioware site. Which is problematic because I will be getting one 360 version and one PC version. I will play the PC version, so I don't really need the 360 DLC.

If anybody wants to trade their PC DLC code for a 360 DLC code for the Gamestop DLC (Defender Armor/Valkyrie Rifle) let me know through PM. If you just want to sell the DLC, the 360 stuff will probably go for a lot more based on past eBay experience and current going rates.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Got to lvl 29 on my ME2 save. Did all the content except Zaeed(sp?). I would think thats not enough right?

I think I was like 11 XP short with the deluxe edition DLC done. I was also short on money for the last couple of upgrades too. I swear they planned it to make you buy DLC.

It's not puzzling. BioWare wants to make a Gears of War-esque game. They don't want to make games like KOTOR or ME1 or anything like that anymore. It's a tragedy, but it is the way it is.

wait, WHAT?
What do you mean by that?

I haven't read much Mass Effect 3 stuff until now.

Pollux

but IIRC the face transferred just fine to ME2? Why can't they just take that? This is dumb

Amen.

My femshep transferred ok from me1 -> me2 -> me3 demo. She looks way hotter in me3, but it's recognizably her. She lost a scar and picked up freckles, but that was the only substantive change.

Well, we'll find out in a few hours....I'm just reporting what I've heard throughout the thread.

wait, WHAT?
What do you mean by that?

I haven't read much Mass Effect 3 stuff until now.

From what I've seen, BioWare doesn't care about that core demographic that got them to ware they are, they're chasing the money now. There's nothing wrong with that, but they're not really going to make games like they used to anymore. They're more focused on the action and not so much on the RPG. Is what it is. and It's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth...aka nothing...lol.

Demon Ice

Banned
It was even better than her "bowing down" joke to Joker in ME2. Shepard's face was golden. I was nearly crying. I went back and took a picture, but it would be best if someone with a default Shepard posts it.

Haha,
yeah I have default male Shep, the look of sheer terror was absolutely priceless, I wish I could have screen capped it

Karak

Concerning dialogue options. I have had the time to check through a couple game modes. "Lots, and some, and barely any" aren't the best examples of how many dialogue options there are and I am as guilty as anyone else. I thought those would explain it well enough but there is STILL confusion.

SO here is my attempt to explain in simple ways how many dialogue options there are in RPG mode comparing ME 1 and 2 to ME 3.

RPG mode in ME3 has LESS dialogue options than ME 2 at around 2:1 split. That's just the stone cold truth of it even after 15 + hours. LESS options than ME2. For every 2 options you would expect dialogue in ME2 you seem to get 1 in ME3. It felt closer to 3:1 but I want to give them benifit of the doubt that as the story branches so to do the options.
All other gameplay versions have even less than that. I spent the last couple hours checking on 3 different xboxs and their owners savegames. We went to various NPC's we knew had large plot points and counted from there and each of us was playing with the different gameplay options.

Simple.

SP3000 hit something on the head, that I was trying to explain earlier when I said that the other gameplay styles seems to have impacted RPG mode. At times, when you expect there to be options for dialogue there are not any. So much so that at times it appears like your missing options. That is just the way it is. After 14 hours or so I am accustomed to it, but every single person I have talked to in IRC or elsewhere and even the reviewers have all stated the same thing.

Now that people can expect that I think they should play it anyway because the same reviewers and players who had issues with it said that the end game was at LEAST worth a playthrough. Because ME3 is its own game, like 2 before it and 1 before that. Each plays a bit different with its own strengths.

Hopefully that helps those that wanted a more concrete number estimate rather than "less than". See you all in MP!

EDIT: If anyone cares the hottie level of ME3 seems far higher than the other games. Like a 4:1 split and that aint no lie. Damn some good looking characters in 3.

sp3000

RPG mode in ME3 has LESS dialogue options than ME 2. That's just the stone cold truth of it even after 15 + hours. LESS options than ME2. For a quick ratio it looks like 2:1 split. For every 2 options for dialogue in ME2 you get 1 in ME3.

All other version have even less than that.

Simple.

Yeah this is exactly what it seems like

Shepard talking by himself feels really wrong in a Mass Effect game

rozay

Banned
That's not what's really the issue. It's that a lot of conversations that feel like they should have options just have Shepard talking. It's like, you really want to say something in this talk with a squad member, but you aren't allowed to and Shepard just talks for you.

If the conversations were simple like in Bethesda games, it wouldn't matter as much. However, they are quite in depth here and the lack of choice really sucks.
I'm interested in finishing the series and will enjoy the game, but that honestly sucks. The writing was on the wall with Arrival though.

RPG mode in ME3 has LESS dialogue options than ME 2. That's just the stone cold truth of it even after 15 + hours. LESS options than ME2. For a quick ratio it looks like 2:1 split. For every 2 options for dialogue in ME2 you get 1 in ME3.

All other version have even less than that.

Simple.
Is this in regards to reactions/responses, investigating dialogue, or just in general?

Yeah, that sucks.

I hope it is mostly investigatory dialogue, which I will ask anyways, but what is being said sounds like it is more substantive dialogue. I don't get deep into the actual role playing, so I can probably dig it, but I obviously would prefer more choice rather than less.

Still hyped and hopeful, just a bit of disappointing news.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Aaahhh! Stay away from that art book! Spoiler like three pages in. Jack
is like some kind of instructor of something.
I'm already trying to blank it out.

Similarly, the slip of paper that tells you to activate your DLC says right on it, "use this code to unlock
the Prothean
character!" So they aren't even bothering to make that seem like a surprise.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If it's less conversation options - :(

If it's less exposition (that I really liked in ME1+ME2) that I don't need to hear again (Why the drell live with the hanar, why the Salarians created the genophage, the first contact war happened etc). I don't mind

something something kentucky walmart joke....

Nah, paid at the store that shall not be named and am heading down at midnight.

walmart was my last option man, wanted a CE and everyone else had already pulled preorders for it....usually it's amazon (with prime) and ive never been let down

but IIRC the face transferred just fine to ME2? Why can't they just take that? This is dumb

From what I've read, if you transferred your ME1 character to ME2 and made at least SOME change to the character's face, it should transfer over to ME3. If you left it completely untouched after transferring to ME2, you'll have to recreate it from scratch.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Haha,
yeah I have default male Shep, the look of sheer terror was absolutely priceless, I wish I could have screen capped it

You should be able to repeat it. It was under one of the Investigate options with her. Unless there is a reason you can't repeat it for a reason I don't want to know about. I only just got EDI as a teammate.

(For those who want context, spoilers are about EDI.)

EDIT:
Guess you can't do it again. Just tried it and she gave a standard remark without going into conversation mode

Pollux

walmart was my last option man, wanted a CE and everyone else had already pulled preorders for it....usually it's amazon (with prime) and ive never been let down

Yea I know how you feel, I could only get the regular edition b/c I completely forgot about this game.

At least you got one. Wal-Mart.com has been really good every time I order from them so I wouldn't worry at all.

rozay

Banned
Question for the people with Digital Deluxe versions, is the alternate appearance pack for all your squadmates or just the 4 in the initial CE pictures?

elaborate plox
In RPG mode, in some conversations it seems shepard will converse with people without letting you pick a tone/topic ever aside from a paragon or renagade choice at the end.

Megasoum

Banned
I gotta say...maybe it's me but I really dont' see any difference with the amount of dialogue I was getting in 2... So far anyway (just got to the Citadel).

Top Bottom