• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Pollux

Played a bit, finished
Mars
, have to say that if the full game experience is like this, it will be one of the most disappointing games of the last few years for me.

Why? Because control is constantly being removed from me because of all these fucking cinematics and conversations where Shep keeps going about the most inane out of character shit.

I know this is cliche as shit at this point with regards to this game...but it gets ALOT better.

And I'm still less than 4 hours in.

Dresden

Fuck, my copy from Amazon is now stuck in a city a thousand miles from me. I don't think it's getting here in the afternoon. :(

Moaradin

Played a bit, finished
Mars
, have to say that if the full game experience is like this, it will be one of the most disappointing games of the last few years for me.

Why? Because control is constantly being removed from me because of all these fucking cinematics and conversations where Shep keeps going about the most inane out of character shit.

I'm just past that part and I already have dialogue wheels with more than 7 options. I think you'll be fine.

Pollux

AHHHH my first disk change!!!! the horror. I had to walk 8 feet and press a button.

If one of the biggest complaints I have about this game is that I have to change disks a handful of times, I will be EXTREMELY happy.

So far the game is great, and once it opens up after the intro level it feels like MAss Effect again. Just a little more desperate. the atmosphere is awesome.

Kem0sabe

I'm just past that part and I already have dialogue wheels with more than 7 options. I think you'll be fine.

I know this is cliche as shit at this point with regards to this game...but it gets ALOT better.

And I'm still less than 4 hours in.

Good to hear. Otherwise, if the game as you say gives back control to the player, im liking it. It imported my character perfectly, changed class from sentinel do adept, tweaked my appearance somewhat, leveled me promptly to level 30, and gave me a bunch of codex entries.

I enjoy how the adept can kick so much ass while carrying just a pistol/SMG, the short cooldowns are insane and Singularity + Warp = boom.

JambiBum

Good to hear. Otherwise, if the game as you say gives back control to the player, im liking it. It imported my character perfectly, changed class from sentinel do adept, tweaked my appearance somewhat, leveled me promptly to level 30, and gave me a bunch of codex entries.

I enjoy how the adept can kick so much ass while carrying just a pistol/SMG, the short cooldowns are insane and Singularity + Warp = boom.

Once you actually get to the Normandy and away from the beginning missions it gives you total control just like the other games.

Also, I really like the new scanning system. It is soooo much better now.

Sojgat

The only other technical complaint is that the Xbox 360 version comes on two discs and unlike the previous games you have to swap between them constantly. The logic seems to be that side quests are on one disc and story missions on the other, but it's not spelt out that way and the game is easily the most annoying multi-disc game on the Xbox 360

-Metro review

Changing disks half way through a game is fine but this is just stupid. Why does this need to happen if you can install the game? It's some stupid microsoft guideline isn't it?

Pollux

Right after the spot where you are there are some more "theme setting" things, but keep in mind that these are necessary to the plot. Once you get those out of the way, about half an hour past where you are now, then everything opens up.

Keep in mind that when I say "opens up" it's not going to feel like it did at the end of ME2. It does in a way since you can go to any system you want, but you have to be tactical about where you go and what you scan.

Also, the tone of this game is very different than ME2 and extremely different from ME1. ME2 was serious with the Collector threat, but ME3 is very good at conveying an atmosphere of impending doom.

I liked ME2 more than ME1, and as far as the first 4 hours go, I would have to put this a little bit ahead of ME2. Not really spoilers for anything, but more just musings on the dialogue and cinematics so far...

while it's true that the first few hours have been very heavy with regards to the cut scenes and they haven't exactly presented you with a plethora of dialogue choices...I think it makes the opening portion of the game better. When Anderson and Shepard are going down the hallway to meet with the Admirals from the scene in the demo, and from the beginning of this game (same scene), the frantic nature of an impending Reaper attack really wouldn't allow for much more than you just imputing here or there. Whereas before Shepard didn't open his mouth without your direct input, the new system they've put in place with regards to the opening cut scenes doesn't really detract from the game.

We all know about the awesome stand and talk scenes from BioWare. But here's the thing, by sacrificing a very small amount of player freedom in the beginning of the game, and potentially during the big dramatic set pieces, BioWare is able to make a game that is far more fluid. The cut scenes make sense. As someone mentioned earlier, it makes ZERO sense for Shepard and Anderson to be catching up about meaningless dialogue choices like "family", "Earth", "Normandy"; or anything along those lines.

With regard to the "timed mission" outcry that some people have been having, myself included, once I put the game in and was confronted with my first "timed mission" it's really not even a big deal. It's very obvious what missions are the "story advancing" ones.

Think of it this way. When you leave Earth after the mission in the demo (if you're in Europe, or haven't played the game yet), or the opening of the game if you have played the game...You're at point A in the story. You then get a handful of side quests, A1, A2, A3. (I'm pulling the number 3 out of my ass, this is in no way a spoiler).

The next story mission would be B. Well it makes sense that if you move on to B, A1-A3 would no longer be available. So yes the missions are "timed" in the sense that if you do your side quests when you get them, and use that time to also do some exploring with the new (and fucking awesome compared to ME2) scanner, then you will most likely not miss anything.

Now, time to get back to the game. Will try and provide some more thoughts and impressions later on if people are interested.

But basically the summary is that once you realize that this isn't ME2, and that it's a different TYPE of game, and by type I mean it's an armageddon game vs. ME2's Sherlock Holmes mystery vs. ME1's Ethan Hunt Mission Impossible. I hope that made sense.

If anyone wants me to elaborate, let me know, and I'll be more than happy to do so.

Once you actually get to the Normandy and away from the beginning missions it gives you total control just like the other games.

Also, I really like the new scanning system. It is soooo much better now.
Agreed, on both points.

The new scanning is actually really fun and it gives your resource collecting a bit of a frantic edge considering the realistic limits placed upon you. I really like it.

Fruitster

Good to see some balanced views from Gaf, looking forward to getting into ME3 - BSN is far too insane to get any kind of idea on how the game stacks up.

Gambit61

Damn, the graphics look great, especially with SGSSAA and Ambient Occlusion. And I'm using an Xpadder profile to play with my 360 controller.

Still, fuck you Bioware for not providing native 360 controller.
Mind sharing a link to that profile? I really miss sitting back and playing ME lol

Pollux

And also, while I'm only 4 hours in at this point so this opinion may change, I like Vega. Yea he's a meathead spec ops guy, but he's definitely not another Carth, or another Carth 2.0.

He's not on the same level at this point as Garrus, Wrex, Jolee Bindo or Canderous were when we were first introduced to them...but he's not a worthless piece of shit who will be kept in the farthest corner of the Normandy either (which is what I had planned on doing before playing the game).

Gunpriest

Neo Member
Can anyone confirm if transforming an ME2 360 savegame into a PC savegame and then importing it into ME3 PC actually works? Although i preordered the NA 360 version i might be tempted to pick up the PC version if it doesnt arrive by friday.

Bump, can anyone confirm this?

aknbad30

Banned
What's the best software to use if I want to use a gamepad for the PC version? Xpadder?? Is this route even effective? Basically does it work well?

Minion101

Banned
Can anyone confirm if transforming an ME2 360 savegame into a PC savegame and then importing it into ME3 PC actually works? Although i preordered the NA 360 version i might be tempted to pick up the PC version if it doesnt arrive by friday.

This works 100%. It even worked on my original save that I thought was gone forever because the offline account it was tied to was deleted off my 360.

spekkeh

Banned
Great to see so many positive reactions and EGs 10. Sadly my copy will drop on the mat right after I left for a skiing trip to the Italian alps. Apparently the ending is one of the most interesting endings in all of gaming, so I'm thinking about a four week total ME3 related blackout.

lucius

My Amazon order finally shipped, yay!

Boo about the disc swap 5-10 times for some people, but guess can be lessened if you stick to just main quest. They should have really made it like ME2 because again a company is punishing the player who is a huge fan of the series that is going to so all quests and replay multiple careers.

I was gonna double dip latter on the PSN digital version but I am just gonna do it now instead. Wish Live had it for download today.

MattDoza

Did anyone have a problem with importing from a USB stick? That's where I keep all of my saves, and profile. So I'm just wondering.

So I just bought and installed Mass Effect 3 on PC only to be greeted with the following message:

This application cannot be used until the official release date has been reached. Please wait until the official release date and restart the application at that time. Click 'Exit' to abort the process.

Please visit the support website to get more information: http://support.ea.com

Your release date will be: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 00:00

uh... okay.

raphier

Banned
So I just bought and installed Mass Effect 3 on PC only to be greeted with the following message:

uh... okay.
Two things you should try...Put your computer clock to Thursday and disconnect internet cable. (Unless Origin doesn't allow offline play then you just have to wait)

Yay mine shipped and will be here later today! On a side note, I got my preorder email from amazon and when I followed the link to BSN this is the message I got

UPDATED (MAR. 2, 2012) Important update to site rules & code of conduct :

Effective immediately there is a zero tolerance policy on any form of abuse towards staff, moderators or other Community members.

Anyone posting a personal attack on staff, moderators or other Community members will, at the sole discretion of staff or moderators, be banned from the BioWare Social Network without notice and is no longer welcomed.

We continue to value all of our customers and fans. However participation in the BSN and engaging with staff and like-minded community members is - to be abundantly clear - a privilege, and not a right. Members may continue to discuss and critique our games and products in a civil manner, but any form of discussion targeted at an individual will not be tolerated. New and existing members who cannot adhere to the code of conduct, or maintain a civil demeanor at all times, are encouraged instead to contact customer support for any game related issues they may have.

We have made additional important changes to the Site Rules and Code of Conduct, and recommend that all our users review them by clicking on the link at the top of this notice. By continuing to use this site you are accepting the Site Rules and agree to follow these rules.

Bans and access to game content. Bans preventing access to BioWare Social Network and/or forum post access will not affect your ability to play EA games or downloadable content. Further, any PC code redemptions (for promotional items or DLC) may still be conducted via the Origin client. If you have any trouble accessing/downloading content that came with your game or if you believe your account was banned in error, please contact an EA Game Advisor for assistance.

I'm guessing they were preparing for the backlash heheh

Serious question; Should I spend the next few days playing the ME2 DLC to carry over into my ME3 game before I start ME3? If the effects of the DLC are basically non-existent I'll just dive into ME3, but if they are significant, I might want to play the ME2 DLC first. Anyone who can offer any insight would be helpful.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is the GT review spoiler heavy?

Sorry if it's already been asked, but has anyone successfully imported an edited save to ME3?

Nah. That concerns some incident involving Bioware's Jennifer Hepler. Look it up.

O was that about people flaming the ex bioware writer? Sometimes I really hate the internet :/

Guys, if I buy it on PC, will the disc basically be a glorified unlock code for the digital version? Will I get home, salivating to play the game and wind up having to wait for an 8GB download?

Disc swapping and lack of gold subscription and hard drive space for DLC have ruled out the 360 version for me.

Ugh, life would be so much simpler if people would learn to make fucking PS3 games properly.

Moaradin

Guys, if I buy it on PC, will the disc basically be a glorified unlock code for the digital version? Will I get home, salivating to play the game and wind up having to wait for an 8GB download?

Disc swapping and lack of gold subscription and hard drive space for DLC have ruled out the 360 version for me.

Ugh, life would be so much simpler if people would learn to make fucking PS3 games properly.

Na. The Disk will install the game without needing to download anything. All the data is on the disk.

lucius

My PSN DL of the game is going pretty fast for PSN, never really gets that bad at this hour though. Still gonna take a while because it is 14 gigs.

Huh, so looking at all the dlc for this game, turns out you can buy those boxes for multiplayer using Bioware space dollars

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_3_Multiplayer#Store

Veteran Pack (20,000 Credits or 80 MS/BioWare Points, $0.99 USD) - Advanced hardware and training for experienced operatives. Includes 5 random items or characters, with at least 1 Uncommon or better.
Spectre Pack (60,000 Credits or 160 MS/BioWare Points, $1.99 USD) - Advanced hardware and training for experienced operatives. Includes 5 random items or characters, with at least 1 Uncommon or better.

least this confirms there's a tier above veteran

Edit: oops old

GorillaJu

My PSN download was flying up to about 80%, then slowed down astronomically. It was about 1 hr. to 80%, then 1 hr. extra to 100%. It's now almost finished installing. Can't wait. :)

Top Bottom