• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Kem0sabe

I think this is a given, at least I hope it is. I quite like UE3, but I honestly feel like BioWare struggles quite a bit with the engine, especially for optimisation. Having EA funded studios like DICE acting as technical support should make for easier, more reliable learning.

Let´s see how they manage C&C with frostbite, different teams tho, but a ME game with BF3 graphical fidelity would be anyone´s wet dream :D

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
FOR PEOPLE IMPORTING AN ORIGINAL ME1 CHARACTER:
Unfortunately when importing a ME1 face into ME2, your character will not generate an accurate code. Thus, when importing into ME3, no face code exists for the game to read.

Wait, is this true ? And is it a wide issue ?

I don't have the first two games anymore, so if i can't get my Shepard's face in ME3, then fuck this game, and fuck Bioware.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can't wait to get home from work and crack this baby open. I think I'm gonna wuss out and start solider again for my first run (hard) and vanguard for my subsequent run.

TheMan

hmm, kind of regretting not getting a CE instead of the regular edition. The price difference is high but it may have been worth i. oh well.

Quick thoughts :

PS3 version from PSN, 1.01

Framerate still pretty bad in cutscenes, but there is a noticeable layer of polish in the visuals (better lighting/shader work) over the demo.

Animations are the same from the demo from what I can tell, I'm pretty much use to it by now though.

The image quality at times can be pretty astounding though. The AA deployed (I'm guessing it's MLAA or some variant) in game doesn't catch edges on certain objects but the overall image quality is very nice. It's certainly a leap over ME2.

so PS3 version is A-OK?

i was kinda worried after complaints from the demo (which i didnt try, media blackout). bad framerate in cutscenes doesnt really bother me if the gameplay runs ok, with no major hiccups (like ME2 was ok, not perfect but playable). is this the case?

and glad to hear it has better image quality!

Kunohara

They don't do the same thing as Purolator? Which is, if you're not at home, they'll keep the package at the closest Purolator building where you can go pick it up whenever you want?

They do, which is about 40 min away on a really fucking busy street. And it closes at 6. I don't even get home till 5. It is fucking bullshit.

My Shep's face is based on my own, and the ones I created for my brief demo playthroughs look pretty much on par. I'll take a photo of him in ME2 then do my best to mess around with it.

No biggie.

Quick thoughts :

PS3 version from PSN, 1.01

Framerate still pretty bad in cutscenes, but there is a noticeable layer of polish in the visuals (better lighting/shader work) over the demo.

Animations are the same from the demo from what I can tell, I'm pretty much use to it by now though.

The image quality at times can be pretty astounding though. The AA deployed (I'm guessing it's MLAA or some variant) in game doesn't catch edges on certain objects but the overall image quality is very nice. It's certainly a leap over ME2.

thanks for this

aknbad30

Banned
How big a role does
Jack
play in this game? Is
She
a squad mate?

Also can someone tell me how well xpadder works? Please.

X-Frame

Wow. Got my Amazon shipping notification at 1 AM this morning and ME3 arrived 30 minutes ago by UPS.

That is some speedy service!

Final product looks/performs better than the demo...though I believe the latest Nvidia drivers added a perform boost so maybe there is that. Anyway...really enjoying the game atm.

zonezeus

so PS3 version is A-OK?

i was kinda worried after complaints from the demo (which i didnt try, media blackout). bad framerate in cutscenes doesnt really bother me if the gameplay runs ok, with no major hiccups (like ME2 was ok, not perfect but playable). is this the case?

and glad to hear it has better image quality!

I'd say gameplay framerate is MOSTLY ok, but I've seen hiccups here and there, freezes or frame dropping. I thought I'd be ok with that too, but I'm not, especially when every second cutscene runs like stuttering crap. There's a limit to what I can handle and ME3 on PS3 shits all over it.

PS3 impressions are bumming me out again

I'm gonna look into setting up a fucking PayPal to buy those damn Bioware points for PC DLC

>=(

Realyn

played like 1 hour .. sound is frikking amazing with ~600 € headphones but the black crush ... just omfg. I remember it being bad in ME2 but what the hell are the devs thinking. Really wtf. Are they trying to hide bad textures?

Derrick01

Banned
Just did my first N7 mission and was pleasantly surprised. It was only 1 (yet very large) area but it had a decent little side story that actually had some relevance to the overall plot. It wasn't something meaningless like in ME2 where you find some random quarian to extract from some random Varren filled world.

X-Frame

What?

I'm not using a controller (PC version)

BioWare removed the casual walking animation when in hostile areas to save memory. I am not sure if this is applicable to the PC though, since that would make no sense but I assume if it's a port they just have the same across all platforms.

The_Monk

Is there the option of Film Grain (I think this was the name) to turn ON/OFF?

What's the best option here? I turned it off when I played the PS3 and it seemed better, on the 360 I don't remember changing this.

bengraven

I just learned about the multiplayer/ending thing and I'm fucking pissed off as well.

PC Gamer points out that this is a way for them to sell more of their microtransactions. That's fucking worse. Fuck you EA. You follow up my biggest surprise in gaming (that ME2 was fucking awesome) with this kind of shit?

It’s all rather… dirty. Presumably they’re trying to encourage you to try the multiplayer because to do well in it, you have to buy or earn unlockable items, and you can get these for real money. But they’re doing it by hurting your single player game, slapping a good playthrough with a bad ending as a penalty for not playing co-op. Even if you like co-op, it’s not unreasonable to want to play through the single player first.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So to get the best possible ending players have to do (random fucking unlocks that i hate) multiplayer?

No, as the article quite clearly states, you can get the best ending without playing multiplayer. Either grind the single player to complete all quests and acquire all resources, or grind the multiplayer. Or both, whatever.

And honestly, the idea that making a bad move, or wrong decision, can effect the galactic readiness and cause a character to die or species be wiped out, is exactly what role playing in this context should be.

Portugeezer

BioWare removed the casual walking animation when in hostile areas to save memory. I am not sure if this is applicable to the PC though, since that would make no sense but I assume if it's a port they just have the same across all platforms.

Wow that sucks fucking dick. It was fine in previous games, why they go change it!

Demon Ice

Banned
Ran into one area of the game where it seems to have imported a wrong decision from the previous games.

I killed the Rachni Queen in ME1. In 3, Wrex correctly referenced the fact that I killed her, but in the shuttle on the way to the side mission, Garrus and Shepard said that we left it alive.
Any one else have that happen?

Maaseru

Banned
Hey so I got a question. I played ME1 on 360 , played ME2 on PC, but erased it a long while ago so I don't have the save. So what would I miss with the transfer? Can I get it back in some form, either the game gives me pre-made question to figure out the stuff or some old save game. What do you think is my best option here or if it really even matters.

Also is there a good site where I could get a quick recap on the details of the story, 'cause there is no enough time to replay the games.

Kem0sabe

No, as the article quite clearly states, you can get the best ending without playing multiplayer. Either grind the single player to complete all quests and acquire all resources, or grind the multiplayer. Or both, whatever.

And honestly, the idea that making a bad move, or wrong decision, can effect the galactic readiness and cause a character to die or species be wiped out, is exactly what role playing in this context should be.

I think he wrote that the only side quests that he had missed where a few planet scanning missions, and still he didnt get 100% readiness.

Players shouldnt be force to grind meaningless missions or multiplayer to get the best ending, no?

I just learned about the multiplayer/ending thing and I'm fucking pissed off as well.

PC Gamer points out that this is a way for them to sell more of their microtransactions. That's fucking worse. Fuck you EA. You follow up my biggest surprise in gaming (that ME2 was fucking awesome) with this kind of shit?

I agree, the microtransactions seem slimey. But the truth is that you don't need to pay for them. Those microtransactions merely help you get better equipment/characters faster. You can still earn in-game credits to get the same thing.

ShaneB

Just recieved my shipped copy here at work. Going to plug in my code into Origin and have it download and read to go when I get home.

This is going to be a long long day :(

Klyka

Banned
Did you read what you quoted? You don't have to do multiplayer to get the best ending, you just have to do everything available in the campaign.

There is no "best ending" it's totally subjective and up to the individual player which one of the three possible endings is "best".

Melchiah

This has me worried...

So to get the best possible ending players have to do (random fucking unlocks that i hate) multiplayer?

I hate this shit. I just want to play the SP campaign, and get the best possible ending there is. I hate being forced to play the MP to unlock stuff for the SP.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Players shouldnt be force to grind meaningless missions or multiplayer to get the best ending, no?

No, they shouldn't, so you should berate the system itself for it's design flaws. But instead you said you have to play multiplayer to get the perfect ending. You do not.

bengraven

I would be okay with that, truly, because that's the heart of some of the best RPGs of the last 20 years. But it sounds a bit too much like Fable III's ending in that you have to have just the right amount before a certain mission or get a bad ending.

There is no "best ending" it's totally subjective and up to the individual player which one of the three possible endings is "best".

I think most people believe the best ending is saving the universe from the Reapers with the least amount of losses. Much like in ME2 the best ending was stopping the Collectors with no losses to your crew. I don't really think that's a subjective issue.

Klyka

Banned
I think most people believe the best ending is saving the universe from the Reapers with the least amount of losses. Much like in ME2 the best ending was stopping the Collectors with no losses to your crew. I don't really think that's a subjective issue.

Do you know the different endings?
It's all a bit more complicated than that.

Wait so people who criticised ME3 multiplayer for taking the series away from it's RPG roots don't want to "grind and do pointless side missions"

O.O

Rengoku

The best ending isn't THAT much better than the others you end up with, I wouldn't worry about it.

Top Bottom