• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Kem0sabe

No, they shouldn't, so you should berate the system itself for it's design flaws. But instead you said you have to play multiplayer to get the perfect ending. You do not.

Point taken. Personally not gonna play the MP until/if ever they remove the random unlock nonsense, so in the end ill judge for myself if the SP was enough to achieve 100% readiness.

Derrick01

Banned
So where can I find (character spoiler)
Chobot's character
on the Normandy?

I recruited this person but I cannot seem to find them anywhere on the ship. I hope I don't have a surprise waiting for me under the bed in shepard's room...

CrazyDude

Would you say it's worth getting the best ending then?

Just a yes or a no would suffice, feel free to tag it or not.

There really is no "best ending"

Chobot's character
on the Normandy?

I recruited this person but I cannot seem to find them anywhere on the ship. I hope I don't have a surprise waiting for me under the bed in shepard's room...

Zaeed's old room.

bengraven

So where is my meter supposed to be to get the "good ending"?

I'm assuming it has to be much higher than the minimum. All the way green?

Chobot's character
on the Normandy?

She's in the bathroom wiping the stank of 100,000 geeks off.

I'm confused. Are you locked into certain outcomes based on decisions in ME 1 and 2 or can you basically get any outcome you want provided you grind enough? I can't tell if only the ending is affected by multiplayer/scanning or if all major events are

Also, anyone else like planet scanning in ME2 (I played it post patch)? It was kind of relaxing. I would have bought DLC that added voice over reading the planet descriptions as you scanned since some of those were interesting

Khal_B

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the pre-order weapons bonus from Origins are not uploaded with the game. EA should have sent you an email with the codes from which you can redeem them through Origin.

Hmm, how long does it usually take for them to send the codes? I've only gotten emails confirming my order and saying that preloading is ready.

I hope they'll ditch the Unreal Engine. I'd like for them to use Frostbite 2.0. EA seems to put it everywhere these days; hell, Hot Pursuit was running on it. A driving game!

I think Unreal Engine 4 would be ok, too. ^^

played like 1 hour .. sound is frikking amazing with ~600 € headphones but the black crush ... just omfg. I remember it being bad in ME2 but what the hell are the devs thinking. Really wtf. Are they trying to hide bad textures?

Xbox 360? Isn't this a problem with the gamma level of the console?

I'm confused. Are you locked into certain outcomes based on decisions in ME 1 and 2 or can you basically get any outcome you want provided you grind enough? I can't tell if only the ending is affected by multiplayer/scanning or if all major events are

Also, anyone else like planet scanning in ME2 (I played it post patch)? It was kind of relaxing. I would have bought DLC that added voice over reading the planet descriptions as you scanned since some of those were interesting

I think the planet scanning in ME2 wasn't too bad, what I didn't like was that you really fast got enough ressources to stop scanning. There was no incentive to continue, no trophies, no trading, ...

bengraven

Good, bad or otherwise, do we know how many endings there are?

Number spoiler:
Someone spoiled three of them, but that was before we even knew there was at least another spoiler...so I don't know.

That would explain why the woman's bathroom is mysteriously locked off this time. EDI must have tipped her off to my past...adventures.

Wow, really? The place is basically unchanged from ME2 and yet they lock areas off? Really really saving those resources Bioware. hahaha

Melchiah

You're not forced, for the 100th time, christ.

From the article...
The balance is incredibly harsh: I did every proper* quest I could find in Mass Effect 3, made sensible decisions that didn’t conflict with my choices in the previous games, and brought people together. But I still got a gallingly bleak ending.
It is possible to get the best ending in single player without playing multiplayer, but it’s twice as hard. All your War Assets only count for 50% of their potential value.
...sounds to me like you're forced to play the MP part, unless you want to make things a lot harder for yourself.

moop1167

Damn, the graphics look great, especially with SGSSAA and Ambient Occlusion. And I'm using an Xpadder profile to play with my 360 controller.

Still, fuck you Bioware for not providing native 360 controller.

Hey dude, are you just using the AO compat for ME? I tried forcing quality AO with that but I was getting 40-50 fps on the opening level where the reapers first attack with dual GTX 580's. Might be because of all the background buildings though.

I had 4xAA + 4xSGSSAA enabled on top of that. Turning off AO gives me constant 60 fps.

Any way to improve this? Maybe my SGSSAA flag is a bad one or performance AO would help but looking for input.

Kem0sabe

no, the endings vary only slightly from each other.

From what i understand, ultimately they are all incredibly different as far as who survives, in what capacity they survive and the fate of the reapers themselves.

Having the most number of people survive (
discounting the form of that survival as that's a personal preference
) is in my view the best possible ending.

Do you know the different endings?
It's all a bit more complicated than that.

I'm staying spoiler-free, so no, I don't know the different endings. But I doubt it's totally subjective, based on the possible endings from prior Mass Effect games. There still has to be an ending that the majority of people would find to be the "best" ending.

Rengoku

From what I've read, I believe there is one outcome from a major plot point that gets locked out based on decisions in ME1 & 2. The ending of the game isn't affected.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Point taken. Personally not gonna play the MP until/if ever they remove the random unlock nonsense, so in the end ill judge for myself if the SP was enough to achieve 100% readiness.

Despite enjoying the demo's multiplayer, I wont be touching it in the full game until I finish the single player, so I'll just have to dealwithit.gif and live with the consequences.

I do find PC Gamer's attack against BioWare's charging for packs a little bit weird, making it seem like they're absolutely essential to "do better", and you're screwed playing multiplayer without them. We've had the demo multiplayer running for weeks and buying booster packs using in-game unlocked credits does the same job. If we're having no problem with the multiplayer now, not necessarily needing some paid-for immediate booster to enjoy it, why would it change in the full game?

Charging for the booster packs themselves is along the same line as Valve charging for hats/weapons; you can pay, or you can unlock them yourself by just playing the game. It's a bit more seedy though as the packs grant stronger weapons, upgrades and goodies, so there's an immediate advantage to using real money over grinding for credits.

Ultimately though this is going to be one of those things I cannot gauge until I play the full game. Based on the demo, I don't agree with PC Gamer's notion that you need to buy booster packs with real money to enjoy the multiplayer. As for the rest, I've now heard from multiple sources that you don't need to play the multiplayer to get the 'perfect ending', so to speak. It can be achieved in single player. Tedium will be the defining factor in how much I care.

And as for choices/decisions impacting galactic readiness and causing characters/species to die, then good. I'm glad that's there. I loathed the "click red/blue text to win" scenarios of ME2 and the idea that all my decisions from previous games, and the choices I make in ME3, might actually have an impact on the ending, is something I welcome with open arms.

bengraven

I'm sure somewhere down the road someone will create a tool, like the save manager, that increases your war readiness anyway, so I can see the "I'm a superhero and finally saved the galaxy like Superman" ending. If that even exists.

The auto-dialogue appears to be a result of the stupidity that is action mode. There's no way they could have as many dialogue trees if they intended to have them be automated by option. The worst part is that quite a lot of it errs towards Paragon. Are they harsher if you've got a full Renegade Shepard?

I just did the mission where I disarm the bomb on Tuchanka and on the shuttle back that entire exchange between Garrus and Shepard were basically auto Paragon responses

Realyn

http://widescreengamingforum.com/comment/242894

What a relief ...

24602.jpg

24603.jpg

Sorry if allready posted ;)

Klyka

Banned
I'm sure somewhere down the road someone will create a tool, like the save manager, that increases your war readiness anyway, so I can see the "I'm a superhero and finally saved the galaxy like Superman" ending. If that even exists.

Yeah, no.

So its 8:15 and im sitting here in front of the only best buy that I could kinda confirm has some...sure hope they do.....they said they weren't reordering the special edition but they have two in stock.......im going nuts right now.

Grisby

Heys guys, few quick questions:

1) Is the From Ashes stuff up to DL'? Need to input my code.

2) Anyone try the IOS game? Is it worth it?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Didn't find out til 4 AM that NewEgg's $12 off + free shipping code didn't include release date shipping. Won't get here til tomorrow night, maybe even Thursday! D:

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
As in, you're forced to play the MP part to unlock crucial stuff for the SP campaign, which give you the opportunity to get a better ending. The SP and MP should be kept separated.

Unless I'm reading the article above completely wrong you can either do it in MP or SP. MP is just the easier of the two. It's the same way with most of the achievements. Most of them are formatted in a, "Do this in multiplayer, or, do this in singleplayer" sort of way.

JambiBum

Oh man. So the (spoiler pertaining to scanning)
Reapers coming after your ship while scanning
totally makes scanning worth it. I never actually thought I would like scanning. Now I do.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Oh man. So the (spoiler pertaining to scanning)
Reapers coming after your ship while scanning
totally makes scanning worth it. I never actually thought I would like scanning. Now I do.

What happens if they catch you? Every time I see them coming I get my ass out of there.

Tucah

you speak so well
Back home with the only unreserved copy of the CE, feels good.

ME2 is one of my favorite games of the gen so I'm pretty pumped to get this shit started.

Melchiah

Unless I'm reading the article above completely wrong you can either do it in MP or SP. MP is just the easier of the two. It's the same way with most of the achievements. Most of them are formatted in a, "Do this in multiplayer, or, do this in singleplayer" sort of way.

Hope so, as it sounds like it's a lot harder and more costly without the MP.

Arucardo

Sorry if quoting this is a bit spammy, but I didn't really come across an answer to this, I hope someone can clarify on this.

Got a question for anyone playing this on PC. Can you still have multiple profiles and is multiplayer locked to a single profile? I mean can my dad or my brother play on my account with their own profiles for the story mode benefits? (just found out about this from PCG today :| )

I'm expecting EA to be jerks about it like they were with BF3, my brother had to buy his own copy to play mp on the same computer back home. All the earlier BF games had the option of making multiple soldier IDs.

Wait so people who criticised ME3 multiplayer for taking the series away from it's RPG roots don't want to "grind and do pointless side missions"

O.O

In fairness, pointless grind is annoying. Deus Ex never had that. I don't recall grinding against gangbangers in Hell's Kitchen.

That said I have no objection to multiplayer or having to recover a lot of stuff. At least with ME3 the stuff you "grind" in terms of system scan actually has variety to it and isn't just generic parts or elements, it feels like you're creating
a military force made up of defeated and broken elements of existing Alliance and other military structure

I let them catch me just to find out lol.
It's game over and you have to load your last save.

That
music as the Reapers approach you
will make you tense the hell up, since at the same time
you want the resources, and hope you're not risking your game...though happily it's a mild penalty...to get 10K credits vs a ship

Top Bottom