• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Moaradin

Ugh, I only just got to the Citadel & I might be overreacting, but this is the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on anything & everything.

I hope it improves.

You can say that much.

Level design is a big step up from ME2. You just got out of the tutorial section. Once the game starts there are multiple paths to take for flanking situations.

Grisby

Few tidbits after playing tonight:
-I love how this game is handling its switching from cinematic to gameplay. Better then anything the series has previously done.

- I got a big :( when stepped into the crew quarters on the Normandy for the first time.

-When do the side quests come? I only got 2 and I think the other one (find something in the Shriek Abyss) can't even be accessed.

Bowdz

I just got past the
attack on the Citadel
and holy crap is this game big. Even if some of the missions are just minor fetch quests, I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of missions in my journal. Also, I'm loving some of the choices you have to make. Pretty tough calls on some missions.

Dany

Banned
Should I do the side missions asap before "priority" missions. Because they can go away right, if I don't act?

Also, there is still something open from the From Ashes DLC
The journal mentions that the intel I have can be used against Cerberus by the colonists from eden prime, how do I do that

I am loving the game so far, the music is great, the action is great, the conversations between everyone is so personal and well done. 5 and half hours done!

kai3345

Banned
Few tidbits after playing tonight:
-I love how this game is handling its switching from cinematic to gameplay. Better then anything the series has previously done.

- I got a big :( when stepped into the crew quarters on the Normandy for the first time.

-When do the side quests come? I only got 2 and I think the other one (find something in the Shriek Abyss) can't even be accessed.

Ive been getting sidequests pretty regularly, British Kelly usually will inform me when a new one is up, or talk to Wreav/Wrex or the Turian dude. You can also read your emails, and people will request some sidequests of you, for example I got an Aria sidequest from reading my email.

The level design stays very "shootery" but from what ive seen it gets better. The level design on the Krogan Rescue mission I thought was great.

Well Gears of War had very shootery design, but had more than just one-way corridors that funnel you to a room that connects to yet another super linear corridor.
It's like I'm playing a TPS version of Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm also hating the story so far, the epic build up from ME1 is squandered so far.
The way everyone is so claim & nonchalant about the Reaper invasion is off putting.

kai3345

Banned
Well Gears of War had very shootery design, but had more than just one-way corridors that funnel you to a room that connects to yet another super linear corridor.
It's like I'm playing a TPS version of Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm also hating the story so far, the epic build up from ME1 is squandered so far.
The way everyone is so claim & nonchalant about the Reaper invasion is off putting.

What? I thought the story has been great at tying up as many loose ends as possible.

Hawk269

Completely forgot that my PS3 died and I didn't get to back-up my saves. Going into ME3 with a fresh Shepard.

Doing the same. I played both ME1 and ME2 on the 360 and then ended up getting a newer 360 and forgot about saving the game saves. For ME3 I moved to the PC version...had put in about 12 hours into ME2 PC, but since I beat ME2 on 360 I decided just to start ME3 with a fresh Shepard.

I did find it a bit shocking that they dont give you too many options based on/if you played ME1 or ME2. Only one was if Alot of people died or if Ashley or Kaiden died and that is pretty much it. Also jarring on how if Shepard died in ME2 it does not import that into ME3. I am sure they could of done another reconstruction sequence or a silly little clip that he "really did not die" etc.

Anyways, loving the game regardless. Just got to the Citadel and decided to listen/read all the Codex entires just to remember everything..that took a good hour or so because alot of entries are unlocked from the intro to the citadel..but still find the voiced ones very cool.

I just got past the
attack on the Citadel
and holy crap is this game big. Even if some of the missions are just minor fetch quests, I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of missions in my journal. Also, I'm loving some of the choices you have to make. Pretty tough calls on some missions.

I just finished this section as well. Does anyone know how much of the game is left after that level? Is that roughly the middle of the main story?

Bowdz

I just finished this section as well. Does anyone know how much of the game is left after that level? Is that roughly the middle of the main story?

I'm guessing it is about half way through the main arc.
We still need to close off the Quarian/Geth arc, the Asari arc, the Cerberus arc, and the main Reaper arc.

There are certainly more combat scenarios with a less linear base, multiple degrees of verticality to consider and enemy's attacking from all angles. The enemy variety is pretty good as well. I'm just happy that ME3's enemy's are giving me reasons to do things other then roll off repeated headshots.

Character progression actually mattering is also a plus. I'm loving this game right now, been hooked from the
chase scene where Ashley get's her head bashed in
. A couple issues here and there with the quest progression, but all minor problems. Hope it stays this good.

Ties

Banned
Is the plot understandable if you didn't play the first and second installments?

I'm a bit wary in playing the single player because I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to understand the plot at all.

Dresden

Chain overload feels so good.

So good.

Typae said:
Is the plot understandable if you didn't play the first and second installments?

I'm a bit wary in playing the single player because I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to understand the plot at all.
You should at least play ME2. Ideally go through the trilogy. The main appeal of ME3 for me is seeing the conclusion to all the shit that built up to this + broing up with my space bros.

malfcn

Amazon is sold out again, and Kmart can't figure out what is going on with my order. Will be pissed if nobody has this game instock.

It's a very story heavy game with lots of names & characters. You will be lost coming in blind.
At least look up a video on youtube summarizing the story or the 1st two games.

Crisis averted.

There's some kind of ridiculous bug with the way ME2 and 3 know if your save games are 'corrupted' or not, that's a generic error that pops up when your save games are 'not yours'. How do you make them 'not yours'? Easy, just do what I did and upgrade my 360's HDD and copy all of my old content from the old HDD to the new one. The solution, then, is to simply copy my ME2 save file from the HDD to a USB memory stick, and then copy it back to the HDD. That's it, doing this makes the save game 'yours' and you can import it into ME3!!

I hope nobody else ran into this error and threw their hands up and went on to creating a new Shepard which isn't theirs. My Shepard is from ME1, I would have been really pissed if my save games really were corrupt.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh boy they conveniently found a super weapon to destroy the reapers, hows that for luck. *sigh*

Oh and how, after every review, comment and person ever said that scanning was the worst part of ME2 do you somehow make it *WORSE*. Fuck. Sakes.

EDIT: oh come on, it's 15 minutes into the game. Oh mai gawd, you play this dude named Shepard who shoots the alienz, spoilarz.

Ties

Banned
Ah so the game is like Assassin's Creed in the sense that you would be absolutely lost if you skipped out on a game or two. I'm going to look up some plot summaries and cutscenes on YouTube later tomorrow. Thanks for answering my question :)

squidyj

I'm a bit confused by the new system, do we just ping anywhere? I guess I'll end up reading a guide.

You can, but in the wrong systems you'll wind up running from reapers. I've found planets usually have good stuff while random wrecks have bonus fuel more often than not, get in a position and ping as many planets as you can at once. These bugs keeping me from completing quests are... bugging me.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ I didn't realize they were for quests, too. Since I'm on the PC I was thinking of making a quick save, pinging like crazy, and reloading and collecting if anything appears. :p

However, I tried that in one system and I didn't find anything at all.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just got to the Citadel. So far:

1. Awful story.
2. Terrible dialogue ("THIS IS LOCO!").
3. Visual glitches galore on the pc version (eyelashes sticking through eyelids, sniper scope overlay in cut scenes)
4. Lip synching is miserable.
5. Combat seems improved.

RedSwirl

I don't know how they did it, but BioWare managed to make the game run REALLY fluidly. Maybe it's just because I'm playing on PC and don't know how smoothly this game runs on 360, but this is the first Mass Effect that looks and feels like a 60fps game to me. That's kinda rare for RPGs and third person shooters.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't know how they did it, but BioWare managed to make the game run REALLY fluidly. Maybe it's just because I'm playing on PC and don't know how smoothly this game runs on 360, but this is the first Mass Effect that looks and feels like a 60fps game to me. That's kinda rare for RPGs and third person shooters.
For me, the previous game ran at 60FPS without any AA, which the game doesn't have, in most locations. FXAA is probably the reason why ME3 looks a bit better though.

I had played ME2's DLC earlier this year with FXAA and got similar results.

thetechkid

So are the lens flares supposed to be glaring? Also getting some werid glitch where shepard's head is all the way left or all the way right when talking to Liaria.

First off I can't tell you how pissed off I was when I got the error that my facial import would not work. I seriously can't believe how Bioware fucked this up. With that said......

This game is fucking absolutely amazing. The intro was a lot different from the demo. There was a little more dialogue and presentation that made the demo scene a lot better.

I am about 2.30 hours in and am seriously BLOWN away at the game. I loved ME and liked ME2...So far with just over 2 hours the game's presentation feels a lot like ME with even better combat than ME2. I love how they mix up the gameplay
like running into cover from the turret and chasing after the Cerberus spy
. I like the story of Cerberus so far and don't mind the
Prothean super weapon

I like the feel of urgency in the storytelling but I still think they could have accomplished the same feeling without the Reapers actually touching down on Earth in the very beginning. I think they could have had their arrival be in a few days and the same sense of urgency would have been felt and would have felt more realistic.

And how did they say the graphics are only slightly better than ME2? Ha! Bullshit. It's crazy to see how this game has evolved graphically. I had to stop playing but I can't wait to play more. Amazing fucking game.

KorrZ

Thane :(
I just talked to him at the hospital. Man, so depressing I don't want him to die. I knew he couldn't join your squad but I was still disappointed when he said no after the option came up lol.

Also BioWare...adding quick save in a console game, you are gods. I thought i was imagining it at first when i hit the back button and "saving" popped up.

Oh forgot to mention, almost died laughing when (Garrus related) :
The primarch says Garrus immediately went off to go calibrate the guns hahahah

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody forcing AO? I did in the demo and it worked in the first half, but had a lot of transparency oddities in the second, as the AO didn't filter through transparent effects properly. Had the same problem in Skyrim when under water.

I'd like to force AO but not with those glitches.

Zeliard

The early Turian mission is pretty cool so far haha. So fun to just abuse Husks as Vanguard; I basically treat them as a testing ground for messing with power combinations. I am using melee 20x more than I ever did in ME2. And visually that level is impressive, especially the backdrops and skybox.

And the weight system continues to be awesome. I picked up Fortification as a bonus power and even though that saps your power regen by 60%, when I use it I still have very quick regen speed on everything since I start off with something like +164%. Fortification is a nice complimentary power for a short-range Vanguard player.

zeitgeist

Hey everyone, I'm about to start the game but I was wondering about the Kingdoms of Amalur bonuses.

If I want to get the dlc for beating the demo do I have to beat the demo before I start the game or can I get it whenever?

Lingitiz

Holy shit this game is amazing. I didn't think it would get such a response out of me with all the squad cameos but I actually do feel attached to alot of them.

I don't watch G4 and I didn't (actually, still don't) know who Jessica Chobot is at all. I haven't even bothered to look up anything she's done on Youtube. All I know is that her lookalike has lumpy chipmunk cheeks and she hasn't done anything useful 9 hours into ME3 except whine about not being able to report on the secret things I've been doing.

Dresden

Decided to try out an Adept and . . . holy shit.

Singularity + Throw is amazing. I didn't know that could trigger biotic explosions as well, unlike in ME2 where Warp was the necessary catalyst.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh wow lmao...
Citadel light spoilers

I just met the Shepard VI for the first time hahaha....omg this is amazing. "IF we all get together there is nothing in the galaxy that can stop us"..."Well except the Reapers, have you seen the size of those things?" hahahaha

Lol.
Cycle through all the conversations until it loops. I think there's like 12 of them. Very amusing.

They made the
Shepard VI shorter than the real Shepard,
that cracked me up.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Decided to try out an Adept and . . . holy shit.

Singularity + Throw is amazing. I didn't know that could trigger biotic explosions as well, unlike in ME2 where Warp was the necessary catalyst.

Pull is great, gives you a way to deal with those
damned shield enemies.

KorrZ

I'm 3 hours in and loving the game. But what's this I hear about playing the multiplayer enough to see the real ending. Is this true?

You need 100% galactic readiness to get the best ending. Multiplayer increases galactic readiness. You don't need to play multiplayer at all though, you can increase it just by doing side missions.

Darkgran

So does it automatically default to Role Playing when you import your character from Mass Effect 2?

It didn't give me a choice between the three.

Story-Role Playing-Action

Dresden

So does it automatically default to Role Playing when you import your character from Mass Effect 2?

It didn't give me a choice between the three.

Story-Role Playing-Action

I believe so, yes.

You can change that in the Options menu once you start, if you want.

Top Bottom