• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You need 100% galactic readiness to get the best ending. Multiplayer increases galactic readiness. You don't need to play multiplayer at all though, you can increase it just by doing side missions.

So I'm going to assume there's 3 endings, Perfect, Good and Bad.

Accurate ?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if the percentages will ever go up. I'm 12 1/2 hours in and everything is still at 50%. My progress bar on the bottom is going up but not the area percentages.

The optimist side of me wants to believe that's because I've barely touched the surface of this game and I have so much more to do. I've heard it's about 40 hours for 100% which would put it around the same time it took me for ME1 and 2, but 40 hours feels more substantial when you're not spending hours planet scanning or riding around the admittedly empty planets in 1.

Zeliard

Pull is great, gives you a way to deal with those
damned shield enemies.

Pull is hilariously amazing once you get that recharge time down. I have it down to 1.36 seconds and it's ripe for abuse. It recharges so fast that the recharge time may as well not even exist for it. By the time the first one is out the next one is ready. You can easily keep enemies from hitting the ground as your teammates blast them. It's awesome.

Using Pull on someone and having Garrus snipe the flying fool has yet to get old in all three games.

I bought a bunch of books, some chocolate and flowers at the hospital shop. Is there any purpose to that stuff or did I just waste my hard earned space bucks? :)

- J - D -

I cannot stand that Shepard says stuff without prompting with a dialogue choice beforehand.

I don't usually bold text arbitrarily, but it really bothers me that I can't choose what Shepard says during a lot of scenes in which a dialogue tree would have been ideal. This was most apparent about 2 hours in when I first reach the Citadel and meet up with Bailey. There was no 'investigate' dialogue option, or anything that would allow the player to actually TALK TO BAILEY and learn more about what's been going on with him. Something like this would've been in ME1 or ME2 and now it feels like there's a gaping hole in ME3.

Now, Some lines of expository dialogue don't need a personalized reply or dialogue prompt, and I understand the need for certain cutscenes to move along smoothly and with some (admittedly cool) choreographed sequences, but I think they've taken it too far.

Also, In the previous games, Shepard would rarely (if ever) utter a single word without your say-so. Now, he has quippy replies and one-liners? Bleh. That's not my Shepard.

Please, PLEASE tell this shit doesn't continue for the rest of this game. If it does, it knocks my personal score for it down considerably.

rozay

Banned
Just got to the citadel. Not sure how I feel about the Cerberus plot this early in the game but damn it feels great.

The "auto dialogue" isn't as bad as I thought it would be but there are a few responses from Shepard that u definitely would have avoided if I had the choice.

Going to try spreading this out over the week rather than being glued to my TV but its going to be pretty damn hard.

Derrick01

Banned
I cannot stand that Shepard says stuff without prompting with a dialogue choice beforehand.

I don't usually bold text arbitrarily, but it really bothers me that I can't choose what Shepard says during a lot of scenes in which a dialogue tree would have been ideal. This was most apparent about 2 hours in when I first reach the Citadel and meet up with Bailey. There was no 'investigate' dialogue option, or anything that would allow the player to actually TALK TO BAILEY and learn more about what's been going on with him. Something like this would've been in ME1 or ME2 and now it feels like there's a gaping hole in ME3.

Now, Some lines of expository dialogue don't need a personalized reply or dialogue prompt, and I understand the need for certain cutscenes to move along smoothly and with some (admittedly cool) choreographed sequences, but I think they've taken it too far.

Also, In the previous games, Shepard would rarely (if ever) utter a single word without your say-so. Now, he has quippy replies and one-liners? Bleh. That's not my Shepard.

Please, PLEASE tell this shit doesn't continue for the rest of this game. If it does, it knocks my personal score for it down considerably.

12 hours in and while it has gotten noticeably better you still do more auto talking than not. It bothers me too and honestly it's my only real complaint on the game up to this point. Everything else has been pretty good, though I have some nitpicks here and there.

But yeah the dialogue thing doesn't appear to go back to full ME1 and ME2 style. The good part about this is squad banter is vastly improved and even the auto dialogue (situations like talking to Zaeed in ME2) is more like an actual conversation between Shepard and whoever he's talking to. You just don't get to pick choices during that time.

anyway I think I'll be wrapping it up for tonight. I just put in like 6 hours straight and realized it was past 2 am :eek:

KorrZ

He definitely auto responses a lot more than in the previous games, but trust me there is still plenty of investigating. For example, right after you talk to Bailey like that you can go talk to him in his C-Sec office and actually chat him up about what's been going on with plenty of "Investigate" options.

Zeliard

He definitely auto responses a lot more than in the previous games, but trust me there is still plenty of investigating. For example, right after you talk to Bailey like that you can go talk to him in his C-Sec office and actually chat him up about what's been going on with plenty of "Investigate" options.

Yeah make sure you talk to people right after the initial 'auto-dialogue' stuff. With new characters you meet, typically you'll have a choreographed back and forth exchange and then you can hit them up again right afterwards for the Investigate options.

- J - D -

12 hours in and while it has gotten noticeably better you still do more auto talking than not. It bothers me too and honestly it's my only real complaint on the game up to this point. Everything else has been pretty good, though I have some nitpicks here and there.

But yeah the dialogue thing doesn't appear to go back to full ME1 and ME2 style. The good part about this is squad banter is vastly improved and even the auto dialogue (situations like talking to Zaeed in ME2) is more like an actual conversation between Shepard and whoever he's talking to. You just don't get to pick choices during that time.

anyway I think I'll be wrapping it up for tonight. I just put in like 6 hours straight and realized it was past 2 am :eek:

Okay, good. I stopped for the night right after the initial cutscene with Bailey.

I'll trust you guys (though it's not like I'm gonna stop playing or anything because of this shortcoming).

Other than that, I'm really liking the mechanics and graphics.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I beat Mass Effect 2 when it came out but never played the shadow broker, mostly because I hate paying for DLC but also because I hated the fact that what I felt was an integral plot point to the game ended up as DLC. I had a relationship with Liara in the first game, but sexed Miranda in the second game, am I missing out on anything if I didn't do Shadow Broker?

iavi

I'm finally grabbing my copy tomorrow, and the hype has me up reading this thread. These impressions are killing me so good. Not too happy with the supposed changes to the dialog system, but I'll deal if it makes for a 'deeper' Shephard.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Some of the combat scenarios are still incredibly poorly designed. You'd think they would have played ME2 and figured out that being in a bottom of a bowl shaped area with one pillar for cover and 2 worthless AI partners is not fun.

Quick question, didn't play any of the DLC post launch for ME2. Think I should before diving in?

Trojita said:
I beat Mass Effect 2 when it came out but never played the shadow broker, mostly because I hate paying for DLC but also because I hated the fact that what I felt was an integral plot point to the game ended up as DLC. I had a relationship with Liara in the first game, but sexed Miranda in the second game, am I missing out on anything if I didn't do Shadow Broker?

Anyone?

burgerdog

Does the game have infinite respawning enemies? I just fought wave after wave during the mission where you meet
Jack
. I swear, I must have been battling for over 15 minutes and there was no end.

jimmy5150

Question about the Citadel in the early game

Does it open up more after the mission the council asks you to do, or is there a path/elevator I am missing somewhere? Everyone is talking about how open it is, but I am only seeing the docking bay, embassies, and hospital areas.

KorrZ

Question about the Citadel in the early game

Does it open up more after the mission the council asks you to do, or is there a path/elevator I am missing somewhere? Everyone is talking about how open it is, but I am only seeing the docking bay, embassies, and hospital areas.

Yes more areas unlock when you return later.

iavi

The Shadow Broker would probably explain why, I'm guessing, Liara is who she is in the beginning of 3, but aside from that, it didn't add all that much, and I doubt not playing it would effect your enjoyment of 3. My shep wasn't with her in the first game, so I don't know if that changes much (prob not). I can't say anything to any of the other dlc packs aside from Kasumi, and she's an isolated event I'm almost sure; a loyalty mission that barely added to 2 let alone the narrative as a whole.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jesus, I just did a 6 hour session and barely made it past the Citadel and a few side quests. I haven't been this enamored with a game in a long time. The atmosphere really sucks you in. The overheard conversations are fantastic and the Galactic Readiness system is really great and addictive.

I finished From Dust without being spoiled on the character and it was definitely cool. I look forward to talking to and using that character more.

Quick question about a very early side quest.
I overheard a Volus talking about a Prothean pillar, got it and saw that it was updated in my journal, but when I returned to him there was no option to talk to him. Do I maybe need to progress more before I can finish the quest? I've only done an N7 mission and From Dust since I've reached the Citadel.

The Shadow Broker would probably explain why, I'm guessing, Liara is who she is in the beginning of 3, but aside from that, it didn't add all that much, and I doubt not playing it would effect your enjoyment of 3. My shep wasn't with her in the first game, so I don't know if that changes much (prob not). I can't say anything to any of the other dlc packs aside from Kasumi, and she's an isolated event I'm almost sure; a loyalty mission that barely added to 2 let alone the narrative as a whole.

To anyone who has played Shadow Broker, make sure to bring Liara to the salarian planet mission for a couple great bonus miniscenes and dialogues.

Sober

So my military score is around 6000+, but my readiness is only at 50%. Do I need to do MP to raise the readiness then? Not sure what will happen even though I should be safely above any threshold.

Also, am I near the end? I am about to
attack the Cerberus Base and Illusive Man, and Hackett says that is basically the start of the end game I am assuming

SRTtoZ

Just put about 2 hours into it and am having fun. It does feel less polished than the previous ones though...

Still I dont care, I'ts going to rule regardless...

So you can't holster your weapon. Meaning I have to spend the whole game scanning my view awkwardly around outside of combat to look around instead of moving the camera independently of my character's facing.

Bullshit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The bar at the bottom, effective military strengt, is the deciding factor. It is calculated by your score multiplied by the galactic readiness percentage. You don't need readiness to be full.

So hows the framerate on the ps3 version? jeff on the giantbomb podcast wasnt to flattering about it.

Other than the intro (which was the demo) i havent seen any hiccups too much. No more than when I played ME2 on 360. The graphics are alot better and cleaner than ME2, as well as the art direction which is solid. Even the demo level runs and looks alot better.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
So much awesome shit happened in the past 3 hours. The reviewers weren't lying when they said the game picks up around the 15 hour mark. The game was already hella good once I got past the intro, but it keeps getting better with every mission.

I want to talk about it all, but I'll just put the highlights. Mid-game spoilers by the way.

- Mordin sacrificing himself so Wrex could make babies. (Curing the Genophage)
- THE ENTIRE CITADEL MISSION. Shit was crazy from the beginning, and it kept getting better. Cerberus invading the Citadel = TIM has gone mad.
- Watching Kai Leng and Thane fight one-on-one
- Pulling the trigger on the traitorous bastard Udina
- Shedding so many manly tears witnessing Thane's final moments. BioWare handled that moment very well.
- Balak from the fucking Bring Down the Sky DLC. Of all the things to be brought back, that was one I thought they would have pushed aside. I even netted about 150 points for the War Assets. Talk about adding value to an old purchase. Same goes for all the DLC in ME2.
- Conrad Verner's redemption. This was actually very surprising. At first, he was being himself. He joined Cerberus, blah blah blah. After fixing an issue he caused, I found myself at gunpoint. Conrad Verner, like a boss, jumps in front of the gun. He finally helped, or so I thought. It turns out that Jenna (from Chora's Den in ME1) had disabled the man's gun. Conrad lives to see another day. Also, I got a single War Asset point from a dissertation he wrote.

ME3 is going to be almost a completely different game with my Renegade Shepard. I can't even begin to think what it will be like when I do my Genocide run in ME2. I'm seeing that the ambition of a branching story across three games is finally paying off. I'm seeing that War Assets is the representation of all the past and present decisions I've made. It's a great system, and I can't wait to see how the final battle will end up for me.

- J - D -

So you can't holster your weapon. Meaning I have to spend the whole game scanning my view awkwardly around outside of combat to look around instead of moving the camera independently of my character's facing.

Bullshit.

Yeah, I was gonna comment on this. So dumb.

iavi

Yeah, I was gonna comment on this. So dumb.

There was an explanation to this given a while back, iirc. It boiled down to resource management, and I can't remember the exact words, but you could find it somewhere in the demo thread if you wanted. It sucks though, either way.

Ah so the game is like Assassin's Creed in the sense that you would be absolutely lost if you skipped out on a game or two. I'm going to look up some plot summaries and cutscenes on YouTube later tomorrow. Thanks for answering my question :)
Why not just play the previous games before playing this? Just because they are more than a week old doesn't mean they suck. Seems pointless to drop right in at the end if a trilogy, there's no rush.

Sober

It's not just SSD. This game loads almost instantly for me in just about every scenario. In 2 going between floors on the Normandy would be instant but real loads would take like 20+ seconds. Now I get about 4 or 5 at most.
Actually, ME2 loads really fast, even on my PC when it had older parts. The problem was that the loading screens always played before letting you back in. I replaced the loading screens with dummy ones and would always load almost immediately (would help in Insanity when you die and reload a lot)

The bar at the bottom, effective military strengt, is the deciding factor. It is calculated by your score multiplied by the galactic readiness percentage. You don't need readiness to be full.
The "war summary" button is misleading then because it says the battle will play out with a slim chance to win (or whatever is at 50%) even though I have a full strength bar.

Also, I wish the fetch quests were more specific or they kinda kept the nested quest/assignments interface in ME2 because a short summary sometimes doesn't cut it.

- J - D -

There was an explanation to this given a while back, iirc. It boiled down to resource management, and I can't remember the exact words, but you could find it somewhere in the demo thread if you wanted. It sucks though, either way.

Resource management? As in, they didn't have the time to implement a holster function?

Well, whatever. Not a deal-breaker for me, but these small annoyances do build up.

Sober

The Garrus calibration jokes are adorable.
I smiled a bit at the Zaeed Avenger assault rifle reference
in Liara's computer after he joins up as a war asset

Also, the squadmates moving around the ship is nice, especially when they have some banter too. Garrus plus anyone else is usually comedic gold. James gets a few good ones too.

Man, textures are still shit in PC version, but that 60FPS...beautiful. The scenery and moving background is definitely better than the things you see up front.

Top Bottom