• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

-GOUKI-

Man, textures are still shit in PC version, but that 60FPS...beautiful. The scenery and moving background is definitely better than the things you see up front.

initially from videos it looked exactly the same as Mass Effect 2 but after playing a bit, the lighting is definatley improved alot.

Man, there are some amazing looking backdrops in this game. Looking at the orange blaze of destruction when on Palaven's moon is a beauty. Art direction is ace.

zethren

Banned
Man, there are some amazing looking backdrops in this game. Looking at the orange blaze of destruction when on Palaven's moon is a beauty. Art direction is ace.

Each speck of orange blaze is a thousand dead Turians.

Remember that next time you're on that moon.

GorillaJu

Spoiler early on (after second mission):

EDI body is so fucking amazing. It's like the cheesiest sci fi robot woman body. I wish I could sex it up.

Moaradin

This game has some awesome art direction. Anyone know how to force AA with Nvidia? Tried to do it with Nvidia Control Panel but had no luck.

15 hours in and barely touched the surface.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Got my early euro Mass Effect 3! Hope i don't get screwed by the import save thing!

Also, i didn't know there was a reversible cover with female Shepard instead. Nice touch.

Khal_B

For those on PC who pre-ordered on Origin, have you gotten access to the N7 Warfare Gear pack yet? Still waiting for them to send me a code via email...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Almost home with my copy. It's so close I can taste it. Tastes like Quarian sweat.

There was an explanation to this given a while back, iirc. It boiled down to resource management, and I can't remember the exact words, but you could find it somewhere in the demo thread if you wanted. It sucks though, either way.
Did they blow the holster weapon production budget on the day one DLC?

WHO THE FUCK ON THE CITADEL WANTS THESE TURRET SCHEMATICS?!?
Go down to
Commons in the Citadel after the Cerberus attack and find someone there. He talks about dismantling bombs and such.
Where the hell is the Argus rifle I was supposed to get for pre-ordering and the Raider shotgun for pre-ordering on Origin? Or do they just turn up in the game somewhere?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I beat Mass Effect after rushing through it before ME2's release. Then I got ME2 at launch, and rushed pretty quickly with that. It's been ~2 years since I've touched either game, and so I honestly forget 90% of the stuff that happened. So, when my character wouldn't import and I struggled to get things working for ten minutes, I just said screw it ;p Started a new game. Hope I don't miss out on too terribly much. That said, I'll likely go through the trilogy this summer.

Annnnywayyy....

Playing the PC version, and my goodness does it look better than I expected. Animations are sometimes pretty goofy, and skin textures & faces are still pretty bad. And yeah, lip syncing is terrible. But all that said, the game can STILL be a real stunner. The lighting, environment, lively races, cool particle effects, and more lead to a game that techinically is pretty impressive. Mix that with some INCREDIBLE art direction, and it really is better looking than the sum of its parts. 1920x1200 res @ 60fps is just icing on the cake.

Also, while I'm not far (I just got to the Citadel); I gotta say, the first 90 minutes is pretty damn action packed, has a lot of variety, and its pacing is just ridiculous. It's like a phenomenal feature-length film, and yet its just the tiny intro to a massive game.

APetePerson

Neo Member
my sob story against ME3:

I remember playing KOTOR at an 8 year old, every weekend, I would play it, non' stop. I loved the story, and I loved how everything you did made an influence on your character. When I discovered that the developer of my beloved star wars RPG made another space-rpg game, boy I was excited. I loved how ME1 rang true to their KOTOR days, with an interface and battle system that reminded me of the days I spent playing away at KOTOR. I loved everything about it, and most of all, I loved the story. I then got mass effect 2. It had, in my opinion, taken everything from every bioware game ever, and made it better. To me, it became the gold standard in games, great graphics, a beautiful story, with everything you do and say making a huge impact on the game. Every experience was unique.
Bioware were my childhood friends, and I had grown up loving them, and looking up to them, and when ME3 was hyping up for release, boy was I excited. I couldn't wait to see what would happen to my beloved squad which I had carefully, and lovingly created over 2 incredible games. I was looking forward to the epic ending to the most epic, incredible game ever, I was waiting for bioware, a game studio that I had grown up in love with to deliver a masterpiece in story-telling and action. I was waiting for my best game ever, but sadly, they didn't deliver. The best studio ever which had introduced me to gaming, and to great story telling had betrayed me, and their loyal followers, and left us for the seemingly greener grass, where the COD people graze, where their is the scent of cash in the air. Bioware, people who were more than just a game studio to me, had given me an all mighty sucker punch, and boy does it hurt.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
So i tried the PC-Demo last evening and played around with XPADDER.

Works for me, but i played KOTOR on PC with a similar setup without issues.

All i had to change ingame is the invertion of the mouse Y axis. This only affects the aiming, not the menues, which is very nice.

The pictures show my first setup. My newest setup has a page switch on L3. The 2nd page has 1-8 mapped to the face buttons and D-Pad. Not sure if i will use it though. I am fine with pausing the game with LEFT SHIFT and activating biotics through the HUD with the mouse mapped to the right stick. With a little practice it's not as bad as it sounds. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I tried to map the buttons like Mass Effect 2 on 360. Squad commands on the D-Pad etc. And i had to raise the horizontal speed of the mouse to 51, otherwise Shepard takes forever to turn around. Still might need some tweaking.

MassEffect3XPADDER.jpg

MassEffect3XPADDERmaus.jpg

This is the first code file without the 2nd page. If anyone wants it, i can post the newer code when i am back from work.

Code:
;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2011.05.13

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Slots=F
Set1Button3Slots=R
Set1Button4Slots=X
Set1Button5Slots=Left Shift
Set1Button6Slots=2
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1Button10Slots=Middle Mouse Button (3)
Set1DPadUpSlots=Z
Set1DPadRightSlots=E
Set1DPadDownSlots=C
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Q
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=51
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=51
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32

So what are y'alls 'helmet toggle' option?

Do you use the hide helmet during dialog

OR

Don't hide helmet

OR

Just don't wear a helmet?

Really weird that you can't hide helmets completely like you can for your companions.

Also, I have helmets off of my guys because James looks a hell lot like Cerebus forces in the heat of battle =/

Are there any new weapons and armor in this game? Everything I seen seems to just be ME2 shit =/

20 hours in; I think it's a lot better on first play than ME2 but also feel the auto-dialogue and homogenization of classes will make it less enjoyable on replays. I'm verrry curious how an ME2 save with everyone dead on the suicide mission will play out.

Kaizer

Banned
Spent most of the night going around the Citadel and the Normandy after the initial mission. However, I did play the "From Ashes" DLC and regardless of how you feel about how BioWare has handled this whole "Day 1" DLC fiasco, I'd say it's a pretty nice piece of lore for the ME Universe that shouldn't be missed.

20 hours in; I think it's a lot better on first play than ME2 but also feel the auto-dialogue and homogenization of classes will make it less enjoyable on replays. I'm verrry curious how an ME2 save with everyone dead on the suicide mission will play out.

Yeah.

Soldiers are kinda shit nowNow that guns Aren't bind to classes. What they got, limited amount of grenades? Yay!

Quick

Banned
Just reached the Citadel and
recruited Dr. Chakwas and Jessica Chobot Allers

I checked on Ashley then went back into the Normandy when a cutscene happened. Was there anything I might've missed back on the Citadel that I won't see again?

Lakitu

st5fu
my sob story against ME3:

I remember playing KOTOR at an 8 year old, every weekend, I would play it, non' stop. I loved the story, and I loved how everything you did made an influence on your character. When I discovered that the developer of my beloved star wars RPG made another space-rpg game, boy I was excited. I loved how ME1 rang true to their KOTOR days, with an interface and battle system that reminded me of the days I spent playing away at KOTOR. I loved everything about it, and most of all, I loved the story. I then got mass effect 2. It had, in my opinion, taken everything from every bioware game ever, and made it better. To me, it became the gold standard in games, great graphics, a beautiful story, with everything you do and say making a huge impact on the game. Every experience was unique.
Bioware were my childhood friends, and I had grown up loving them, and looking up to them, and when ME3 was hyping up for release, boy was I excited. I couldn't wait to see what would happen to my beloved squad which I had carefully, and lovingly created over 2 incredible games. I was looking forward to the epic ending to the most epic, incredible game ever, I was waiting for bioware, a game studio that I had grown up in love with to deliver a masterpiece in story-telling and action. I was waiting for my best game ever, but sadly, they didn't deliver. The best studio ever which had introduced me to gaming, and to great story telling had betrayed me, and their loyal followers, and left us for the seemingly greener grass, where the COD people graze, where their is the scent of cash in the air. Bioware, people who were more than just a game studio to me, had given me an all mighty sucker punch, and boy does it hurt.

So, what don't you like about it?

Kem0sabe

Anyone find Boo in the Normandy? They used the same sound effect from BG2... i think :D

Enjoying the game so far except for the stupid scanning minigame and those all seeing, all dancing, all consuming galaxy map reapers. Bioware should ditch mini games altogether, as they are apparently so inept at them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You forcing AO Dennis?

Kem0sabe

Spent most of the night going around the Citadel and the Normandy after the initial mission. However, I did play the "From Ashes" DLC and regardless of how you feel about how BioWare has handled this whole "Day 1" DLC fiasco, I'd say it's a pretty nice piece of lore for the ME Universe that shouldn't be missed.

Concerning the production values in the DLC, movies,
entire protean art assets for the cities
, i doubt the DLC only started production post the game being finished.

Dresden

The little dream-scenes
where you chase that little dead kid
are pretty embarrassing.

Needs a Renegade action where you punch the guilt-tripping fucker in the face.

hamchan

The little dream-scenes
where you chase that little dead kid
are pretty embarrassing.

Needs a Renegade action where you punch the guilt-tripping fucker in the face.

Yeah it made me roll my eyes. Pretty awful attempt to wring some emotion out from the story I think.

EatChildren

I am trying at least. But I am not sure if its working.

My framerate gets hammered so there is a (mass) effect there but I am not entirely sure that it does anything.

From the demo it does work, but it's not very noticeable. I stuck it on performance over quality and found the effect about the same without the huge framerate hit.

As I said earlier though I had quite a few transparency issues with AO in the second half of the demo. Have you noticed any AO issues? Had the same effect in Skyrim when swimming under water. It's like if there's a blurry, transparency layer over the scene the AO flickers and looks too strong.

Top Bottom