• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Moaradin

Seems pretty damn reasonable. If the game really spends most of its plot screaming "THE REAPERS ARE HERE, THE GALAXY IS DOOMED," and emphasizing the need for galactic readiness and Taking Back Earth and whatnot, and then Shepard is off picking up space kittens then it'd be a little weird.

You could say the exact same thing about ME1 and ME2. Hell, just about any RPG really. None of the side quest in the previous game has anything to do with the collector threat or saren/sovereign.

JJD

Nope the voice commands are exclusive to Kinect, which as we all know is "better with Kinect" because it has been drummed into us at every single chance they get.

Awww man, that's lame...I wanted to try that but I don't own a Kinect and already got the PS3 CE pre ordered...

Kyoufu

Couldn't you pose this same complaint to Skyrim?

None of the side quests having anything to do with the impeding doom of Alduin or the dragons and yet it handles it just find.

I don't really see it being a problem to be honest.

ME1 or ME2 didn't handle it that way either.

None of the games you mentioned ever had the "impending doom" scenario so no.

Skyrim was a beautiful place with the odd dragon taking a shit on a town. ME3 has entire colonies going dark from Reaper attacks.

You could say the exact same thing about ME1 and ME2. Hell, ANY RPG really. None of the side quest in the previous game has anything to do with the collector threat or saren/sovereign.

Yeah, and that was a liiiiiiittle silly as all hell in those games and completely undermined ME2's story! And with ME3, the premise of the story makes it worse!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
As long as the side quests are good I wont be too concerned if every one isnt intimately involved with the Reapers.

Vire

Skyrim was a beautiful place with the odd dragon taking a shit on a town. ME3 has entire colonies going dark from Reaper attacks.

Did you play Skyrim?

The fate of the world was at hand ultimately, so yes "impending doom" was about to happen. Alduin was called "THE FUCKING WORLD DESTROYER".

No RPG has ever handled side quests like this. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise.

As long as the side quests are compelling, I don't see an issue with it.

Moaradin

Again, what makes this different than ME1/ME2? The threat in ME1 was much worse than the threat in ME3. At least now we have a chance against the reapers in ME3. If sovereign took control of the Citadel in ME1 while Shepard was picking up space kittens, there wouldn't even be a ME2 or ME3.

Yeah, and that was a liiiiiiittle silly as all hell in those games and completely undermined ME2's story! And with ME3, the premise of the story makes it worse!

Lol, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Then everyone would bitch how there are no sidequests in Mass Effect and the games are linear as hell and there are no branching quests or storylines on the side.

Vire

Lol, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Then everyone would bitch how there are no sidequests in Mass Effect and the games are linear as hell and there are no branching quests or storylines on the side.

Seriously, just put him on your ignore list.

Reuenthal

Banned
There are other concerns I have with side quests. One concern centers on the sheer amount of random side quests earned when running through places like the Citadel. Overhearing random characters speaking triggered side quests in past Mass Effect games, but in Mass Effect 3, this is brought to an almost absurd level. You can earn multiple side quests within a minute of each other by running through a new area of the Citadel, for instance, without having known to listen to the actual conversations for context. And the codex does a poor job of explaining your actual task. All of this comes off as a bit sloppy and unnecessary.

I hope the billion sidequests is not Bioware taking lessons from Skyrim. Actually they shouldn't as I found the game ultimately to be disappointing in various ways especially as far as quests are concerned. It did some things right as well but it isn't the game to steal ideas from.

Kyoufu

Did you play Skyrim?

The fate of the world was at hand ultimately, so yes "impending doom" was about to happen. Alduin was called "THE FUCKING WORLD DESTROYER".

No RPG has ever handled side quests like this. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise.

You don't get the point. Skyrim wasn't in tears 24/7. You could go and chase butterflies and listen to owls at night. Skyrim was far more ambient than ME3. The demo alone shows War of the Worlds invasion scenario of "oh shit we are all fucked".

And yes, ME2's side-quests were stupid too, but we already knew that.

Again, what makes this different than ME1/ME2? The threat in ME1 was much worse than the threat in ME3. At least now we have a chance against the reapers in ME3. If sovereign took control of the Citadel in ME1 while Shepard was picking up space kittens, there wouldn't even be a ME2 or ME3.

What threat in ME1? Oh, you mean the only time Reapers did anything right at the end of the game? Because for the entirety of the game you were just chasing Saren and trying to find evidence etc. Did you play it?

That's one hell of a conclusion to jump to.

I wasn't saying there should be no sidequests or non-Reaper-focused sidequests whatsoever (nobody did, not even the IGN guy), just concerns over what IGN was saying: that the sidequests might get a little excessive and be too imbalanced towards irrelevant stuff, not that there shouldn't be any at all.

Don't understand why you feel the need to willfully misrepresent my position.

Kyoufu

I don't think anyone here is complaining that they don't want to do fetch quests. We're saying that the complaint is still legit for those people who don't like it.

I personally can't wait to get stuck in doing the N7 stuff.

Reuenthal

Banned
Like right now with with my playthrough of ME1 I will probably skip a number of the seemingly worse sidequests.

On the positive side, other than the already positives that I am confident the game will have and makes me have a high opinion of it, what the IGN article mentions of the upgrade system and weapons, I like. This fusion of better than ME1 gameplay that ME2 represented and an upgrade system that is more similar to ME1 than 2 is something I like.

That's one hell of a conclusion to jump to.

I wasn't saying there should be no sidequests whatsoever (nobody did, not even the IGN guy), just concerns over what IGN was saying: that the sidequests might get a little excessive and be too imbalanced towards irrelevant stuff, not that there shouldn't be any at all.

Don't understand why you feel the need to willfully misrepresent my position.

But sidequests are optional...that's why I don't see the complaint as valid. If sidequests like "Find this rogue VI" or "Save this Quarian colony from varren" keep popping up, then simply roleplay your character as if the galaxy was doomed and ignore them.

The sidequests are easily a plus in my opinion, that can give you more choice in what you do in the game.

Zeliard

Eh, if you want Mass Effect to be a role-playing game you gotta bring that RPG'ness into it yourself, so role play. Ignore the side quests and gun after the main baddy. :p

In almost any RPG you can just dick around while the world crumbles around you.

You need to set a Fallout 1-style post-water chip timer to curb the goofing off, but some people hated that so much that Interplay patched it out.

Moaradin

What threat in ME1? Oh, you mean the only time Reapers did anything right at the end of the game? Because for the entirety of the game you were just chasing Saren and trying to find evidence etc. Did you play it?

You know, the threat of Sovereign using the Citadel to transport all the reapers instantly to the heart of the galaxy and cutting all communication off to all the other species, giving them no chance at all against them.

If Shepard didn't reach the Citadel in time, that would have all happened. Hell, even the last segment on Ilos is timed to reinforce how dire the situation is. You think Shepard would have enough time to find all the evidence to stop Saren if he was just dicking around all day doing unrelated side quest?

Reuenthal

Banned
Eh, if you want Mass Effect to be a role-playing game you gotta bring that RPG'ness into it yourself, so role play. Ignore the side quests and gun after the main baddy. :p

In almost any RPG you can just dick around while the world crumbles around you.

You need to set a Fallout 1-style post-water chip timer to curb the goofing off, but some people hated that so much that Interplay patched it out.

I hate random excessive number of side quests with little focus and detail in them and like fewer but good side quests personally. My issue is more found in this quote
There are other concerns I have with side quests. One concern centers on the sheer amount of random side quests earned when running through places like the Citadel. Overhearing random characters speaking triggered side quests in past Mass Effect games, but in Mass Effect 3, this is brought to an almost absurd level. You can earn multiple side quests within a minute of each other by running through a new area of the Citadel, for instance, without having known to listen to the actual conversations for context. And the codex does a poor job of explaining your actual task. All of this comes off as a bit sloppy and unnecessary.
than the other issues.

It is not a dealbreaker for me in any case, but I don't like this design decision.

exYle

I would've preferred a sidequest system similar to that of Deus Ex's. There was a similar amount of sidequests and main quests, but because of that, the sidequests were mostly sizeable and memorable.

Kyoufu

You know, the threat that Sovereign using the Citadel to transport all the reapers instantly to the heart of the galaxy and cutting all communication off to all the other species, giving them no chance at all against them.

If Shepard didn't reach the Citadel in time, that would have all happened. Hell, even the last segment on Ilos is timed to reinforce how dire the situation is.

Yes, but this was right at the end of the game. The closing moments of the game involved Reapers actually proving to be a major threat to civilisation.

For the first 85% of the game, you're finding evidence in the citadel, finding some Matriarch's daughter in a mine and exploring planets on a space buggy.

None of the characters but Shepard and his/her crew ever thought there was any sort of threat from "Reapers". In ME3, EVERYBODY is getting royally fucked by the invasion.

inky

[...]

That seems like a perfectly legitimate concern to me. Not even the quantity or how optional/disconnected they are, but how are they presented to you in the first place. Oh well.

Vire

Also, depending on the post-game scenario it may or may not make sense to continue to do ancillary side quests after the Reaper threat is dealt with.

What I tend to do in most Western RPG's is go through the main story and then tackle the side stuff in the "post game".

Not sure how it's handled in ME3 though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm okay with the unrelated side quests, but only because I've been conditioned by so many shitty RPG side quests, especially in BioWare games, that I've come to expect it. It's still disappointing, mostly because it shows BioWare are unable to shake old habits.

And I agree with the above; Human Revolution's side quests were excellent.

Zeliard

I hate random excessive number of side quests with little focus and detail in them and like fewer but good side quests personally. My issue is more found in this quote than the other issues.

It is not a dealbreaker for me in any case, but I don't like this design decision.

I agree with that, and yeah those side quests seem to be presented in a silly fashion. Quality > quantity, but hopefully there'll be a set of decent ones in there.

I do think the idea of driving the player forward in this sort of game is almost impossible to do without some strict limit like a timer. On some level, if you want to be "in" the game and be Shepard or whatnot and experience it more as a straight storyline, you have to take on some of that role-playing burden and force yourself to ignore meaningless side quests.

With Skyrim it's like "hey the dragons are back and murderous, and you're kinda the only guy who can do anything about it," and you can just run around and pick flowers the entire time. It's largely an unavoidable issue, without doing something like what Fallout did with its two timers (which I always thought was pretty cool and certainly very story-appropriate).

It'd be neat to see something like that again but it'll probably never happen.

- J - D -

I'm starting my second playthrough of ME2 now. It took me 40 hours the first time. Hopefully, I can cut down on the stupid planet scanning bs this time. Not sure if I can fit in all of the dlc though.

foogles

I'm starting my second playthrough of ME2 now. It took me 40 hours the first time. Hopefully, I can cut down on the stupid planet scanning bs this time. Not sure if I can fit in all of the dlc though.
You might just use a savegame editor to give yourself the minerals (and maybe the credits) you need. Also, one tip I offer is to enable subtitles, then just tap A (or Space, on PC, or X on PS3) to flip through the dialogue. You can still get the gist of things and slide through it quickly. Obviously that's not a great idea for your first time through a game, but I've been through both games at least 8 times each...

I have ME2 on 360, but never finished it. Liked it a lot.

Think I'll go with ME3 on the PS3 this time, I have more HD space for the inevitable DLC I'll download for it.

Mindlog

Personally, the side quest problem is less of an immersion killer than traditional RPG loot and economy. I don't understand why an elite protagonist wastes time with basic 'level 1' trinkets. Similarly, why are the agencies responsible for player employment not being more generous with resources? These systems exist to placate RPG traditionalists as opposed to providing some actual depth and sense of progression. I hate the regression in itemization.

Alpha Protocol sets the bar with both of these issues. Obsidian actually took 2 seconds to name their weapon levels. They also gave a passing nod to the need for plausible deniability in regards to player resourcing.

This is all retread ground though. It's getting so goddamned old. What's new is multiplayer. I hope the war score can be completely satisfied with co-op play. I will probably be doing a lot of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm actually really glad that there are lots of other side quests not pertaining to the Reapers. I know it doesn't make sense from a story standpoint but I was worried that literally everything would be go here, get the Reapers out, repeat.

Emwitus said:
Good game....insensitive and uncalled for title. Smh
Is this post serious? I honestly can't tell.

I hope there are at least a decent amount of Reaper-centric sidequests. Stuff like assisting an evacuation or rallying a battalion shaken by heavy losses.

I wish developers would find an excuse to put some down time moments in their plots so players can take that time to do side quests without it feeling like the main character is neglecting an imminent disaster. You just need some stretch of time in which the main character is waiting on someone or something else. It could be easy enough to allow people to just push through those moments if they want to keep the story going but it would make taking the time to do some side quests not seem so absurd. I'll admit with the Reaper invasion makes that a little trickier in ME 3 than it would be in some other games.

- J - D -

This is about ME2, but can anyone recommend the best faq? I want to be able to quickly know everything I need to do a complete 2nd run through. I can't work off of memory, it's been 2 years since I played ME2.

Thanks.

Top Bottom