• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Did you play Skyrim?

The fate of the world was at hand ultimately, so yes "impending doom" was about to happen. Alduin was called "THE FUCKING WORLD DESTROYER".

Did you beat Skyrim?

Everyone is all "meh, that's cool, I guess."

Unless it's a timed main campaign, it's not going to ever be realistic to do side quests.

Wow the threat of end game spoilers killed this OT fast.

Yup, no one is brave enough to check out any other ME3 media for fear of spoilers. Those "Space" copies of the game was really an absurd PR move that helped leak the ending a week before launch :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The retailer I worked for (Australia here) still has quite a lot of Collectors Editions for Xbox 360 allocated yet unsold. Tons of pre-orders, but it seems we're getting a pretty significant shipment of the 360 CEs.

PC CE's on order have been completely allocated to pre-orders, so they're out, and the PS3 CE's are close behind.

Strange how this series went from "one of the best games ever!" (ME1) to "This is releasing already? ..maybe I'll pick it up later.." (ME3).

Feels like I have to go through it just to see how it ends and how well they carry over the decisions you made in 1 and 2. But my hype is close to zero. I hope to be positively surprised when I play it, but the tone just seems even more 'off' in 3 than it did in 2.

How I feel as well. I've had the 360 CE pre-ordered just because I got the other 2 CE's and need to see how it all ends, but I'm not feeling the hype. The way the game has been marketed, and them moving further and further away from real space exploration has soured me on the whole thing a bit.

Nori Chan

The retailer I worked for (Australia here) still has quite a lot of Collectors Editions for Xbox 360 allocated yet unsold. Tons of pre-orders, but it seems we're getting a pretty significant shipment of the 360 CEs.

PC CE's on order have been completely allocated to pre-orders, so they're out, and the PS3 CE's are close behind.

i wish you were in america :(

ill give you alls my money

Pollux

If you sent me a copy could I play it in the US lol...

Vire said:
ME1 or ME2 didn't handle it that way either.
Indeed and it was bad there too, but it’s more noticeable in ME3 because the stakes are so much higher.
Vire said:
No RPG has ever handled side quests like this.
Recently? Fallout: New Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Alpha Protocol, SMT: Devil Survivor all come to mind.

All but arguably the 4th do a consistently good job of creating sidequests that make sense for the player character to be doing:

In NV’s case, the setting just naturally supports the ability to roam, gather resources, and run into events.

In the TO’s case, the reason the protagonist would do these quests are usually justified in context with the main story(hearing suspicious reports of enemy soldiers in territory that seemingly has no significance to the war, wanting legendary treasure as a way to fund the war effort, etc.).

For AP, many optional quests are centered around gaining information and resources in order to tackle the more important ones. In a way, it’s like there aren’t any side quests at all(since doing a certain number of them is mandatory anyway); just optional main quests.

In Devil survivor, the main story is pretty much driven by smaller optional events and the characters tied to them(so it kinda has that in common with AP, though they handle it differently). The characters generally don’t really know exactly where to go all the time, so these events are treated like happenstance. There’s also a time progression system, so you never feel like you are ignoring the main story by doing optional stuff.

All 5 generally connect sidequests to major thematic elements brought up within the overarching story, or bring greater understanding to some element of the main story itself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i wish you were in america :(

ill give you alls my money

If you sent me a copy could I play it in the US lol...

If the full price + postage was covered I'd more than happily send it people a copy. You'd want to note though that;

a) Australian prices are totally fucked, and given the US dollar you will pay through the teeth.
b) From memory, international postage from Australia is also pretty pricey.
c) 360 is region locked, yeah? ME3 AU will be PAL, like Europe, and may not work on US systems.
d) That slight risk EA's online pass is region locked, because they're cunts.

CyReN

Whoever made this I love you.

platforms1lir8.png

----

Got my order ready to go, as for the Day 1 DLC has there been any news if it will be available for midnight launch people to download right away?

If I download Kasumi - Stolen Memory in ME2 will I be able to access that mission from my ship in my completed game save or do I have to be in the "recruiting" phase of the game?

EatChildren

I can stop whenever I want.

1k3asc.jpg

emot-smithicidespz2z.gif

EatChildren

The comics are considered canon, and no, they're not worth it. I'd know. I'm an expert.

Zeliard

EC, any more info you can share on Krogan anuses through your vast adventures in the Mass Effect universe? I'm dying to know.

All 5 generally connect sidequests to major thematic elements brought up within the overarching story, or bring greater understanding to some element of the main story itself.

There are definitely ways to make side quests more meaningful to the main storyline (though with Bioware...), but the struggle comes when there's some sense of urgency that needs to be instilled in the player. Side quests are generally by their nature optional, and to have optional objectives when the main one is so pressing is always going to be awkward if you don't stick a timer in there or something of the sort.

GSR

If I download Kasumi - Stolen Memory in ME2 will I be able to access that mission from my ship in my completed game save or do I have to be in the "recruiting" phase of the game?

You can do it whenever (in fact that's what I did), but you'll obviously get the most out of her if you still have most of the game to do.

Thinking about playing one of the ME2 dlcs this weekend, I played Overlord a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Which would you suggest Gaf, Kasumi or the Shadow Broker?

Shadow Broker is the best ME2 DLC.

I would only recommend Kasumi if you are doing another full playthrough of ME2 and get her along the way. Her story is alright but she has a great moveset (think vanguard but instead of a biotic charge, an insta-kill backstab) and the DLC has one of the best guns in the game (SMG).

Zeliard said:
There are definitely ways to make side quests more meaningful to the main storyline (though with Bioware...), but the struggle comes when there's some sense of urgency that needs to be instilled in the player. Side quests are generally by their nature optional, and to have optional objectives when the main one is so pressing is always going to be awkward if you don't stick a timer in there or something of the sort.
True enough.

Kind of ironic that one of the earlier trailers for ME1 implied some sort of time based system where optional events would happen simultaneously.

haikira

Decided to brave it in here to ask a random question about ME3. I think I heard a little while ago that all three versions of the game will include an interactive comic, similar to the PS3 version of ME2. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Sober

Too bad it's an established video game trope through and through. I do like it when something slips through (like the start of DXHR) or something similar (saving your crew in ME2 after they get captured).

Wish they had it so there are always certain sidequests that disappear after a certain amount of missions/mass relay jumps or something (like in SPAZ) so there is a semi-urgency created or some risk-reward management involved in the Galaxy at War system.

My ME2 disc scratched itself because my Xbox 360 sucks and does that.

Now I can't finish my playthrough because my town has no disc repair places. FUCK.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Hepler wasn't serious about the homosexuality sequence. I don't mind the option, but if they honestly allocated resources to focus on something so trivial, then it's one more reason that this game won't be as good as 2.

GSR

I hope Hepler wasn't serious about the homosexuality sequence. I don't mind the option, but if they honestly allocated resources to focus on something so trivial, then it's one more reason that this game won't be as good as 2.

The post you're thinking of is fake; Hepler's on a different team.

I think that was the fake quote that /v/ or reddit spread around mixed in with some true quotes.

One of the Mass Effect posters also said she wasn't even on the ME3 team at all anyway.

The great game if internet telephone continues.

Fjordson

Bit late here, but nice work on the OP Blue Ninja (your Skyrim OT was great as well).

A little nervous about the game. Wasn't crazy about the demo or some of the story spoilers that I've read, but that's a pretty small slice of the game overall. Hopefully it turns out well.

Nice OP!

Can't wait to get back into the universe. I hope that especially the decisions from the first game will play a role.

But DLC on release day, really? That's ridiculous. I've been on a blackout, so can anyone tell me whether the DLC is part of the main story?

exYle

Playing with friends in the demo is a real fucking piss-off. If we try and create a game, it takes on average 10-20 minutes to fill up a room. If we try and search for games and then send invites, for whatever fucking reason, it gives priority to people in solo matchmaking. In the end, it takes FOREVER to find a game.
If there's anyone from Bioware here, put a fucking matchmaking system in. Good lord. It's 2012 already.

They really went out of their way to make the novel titles as generic as possible. Jesus.

Except for Deception, the novel titles at least make sense to the book. I guess Dietz (or the ME editor who commissioned Dietz) felt that the first three books ended in a "shun" sound so the 4th book had to have a "shun" title too, even if the word didn't correspond to the story at all. Deception really is a spectacular failure on every single front.

EatChildren

I missed out on the original art book. Now it's too expensive. Surprisingly not interested in the OST, but I'd love a signed one.

They really went out of their way to make the novel titles as generic as possible. Jesus.

Including all the comics, the Mass Effect literature titles are;
- Revelation
- Ascension
- Retribution
- Deception
- Redemption
- Incursion
- Inquisition
- Evolution
- Conviction
- Invasion

The 'ion' theme will be broken by Homeworlds.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Including all the comics, the Mass Effect literature titles are;
- Revelation
- Ascension
- Retribution
- Deception
- Redemption
- Incursion
- Inquisition
- Evolution
- Conviction
- Invasion

This is going to come back and bite Bioware on the ass when they realize there are no subtitles left for their ME spin offs. Then again, Unleashed is still available.

Lakitu

st5fu
I have no problem whatsoever if side-quests aren't related to the Reaper invasion. Just a little worried that some of them are timed -- I'm going to be paranoid.

pakkit

Banned
After replaying the single-player demo, it's obvious Bioware has made serious concessions to both the action and the RPG crowd. ME's action finally feels like a full action game that's ready to finally challenge it's linear single-player cousins, but it also has deeper options to consider compared in the menus to it's predecessor.

We'll see how it all pans out, but I'm glad that Bioware is at branching out to both audiences instead.

Tookay

This is going to come back and bite Bioware on the ass when they realize there are no subtitles left for their ME spin offs. Then again, Unleashed is still available.

I prefer Unbounded.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, partially because I think it's going to be a fun game and partially because I cannot wait to see the rage the story induces. The ME2 spoiler thread was hilarious.

Top Bottom