• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

moop1167

Hmm, on the Normandy for the first time and I just
picked up a zero cost "weapon capacity upgrade" from one of Liara's terminals. What does this mean? It popped up on my screen on the lower right showing I got something but it had a question mark on it, and I don't know how to access it or anything

Anyone know?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just starting now GAF. Two questions:

1) Can all classes use all weapons?
2) If so, are engineers fun to play or am I gonna lock myself into a terrible class?

Sajuuk

Hmm, on the Normandy for the first time and I just
picked up a zero cost "weapon capacity upgrade" from one of Liara's terminals. What does this mean? It popped up on my screen on the lower right showing I got something but it had a question mark on it, and I don't know how to access it or anything

Anyone know?

its a passive bonus stats

Did you dislike the linear shooter levels with conspicuous waist-high cover and spare ammo everywhere? New items and weapons strewn along the paths you're constrained to? Too few skills for Shepard? Even less skills for team members? Ammo "powers"? Bad dialogue? The Citadel being nothing but a handful of floors?

It is improved somewhat, in the sense that you could spray air freshener in a bathroom after having diarrhea. All the lip service about it being a mix of ME1 and ME2 is utter bs.

itbegins.jpg

Dresden

2) If so, are engineers fun to play or am I gonna lock myself into a terrible class?

Engineers are badass. Playing one right now.

Chain Overload + Neural Shock is godly.

McNum

So, finishing off the last few details on my ME2 saves, I was just wondering. Are there any N7 missions that it would be a really good idea to get done before importing to ME3? I got a feeling about the
crashed quarian
one as that has me save a named character, but will any of them have a significant effect?

Also, for an Infiltrator, any good tips? Looks like my ME2 Shepard basically ignored AI Hacking, but he was a beast with the Assassin's Cloak and the Widow. Headshotting YMIR mechs, if I remember right. Anything I should consider for ME3? Would a Sniper/SMG/Heavy Melee focused Infiltrator work?

I only played the Demo up to getting control of Shepard to check if I could get their faces right so I wouldn't have to mess with that mess before playing, so I'm going in mostly blind.

Woorloog

Banned
So, finishing off the last few details on my ME2 saves, I was just wondering. Are there any N7 missions that it would be a really good idea to get done before importing to ME3? I got a feeling about the
crashed quarian
one as that has me save a named character, but will any of them have a significant effect?

This is something i want to know too. I've done everything in ME1 and 2 except ME2's N7 missions with my latest Shepard.

6-8 hours in and I have a question about the following sidequest:
Rescued Jack and the biotic kids from the academy. Does she show up anywhere on the Normandy?

Thanks

Guesong

Please tell me that at some point in game I can start shooting
fucking Reaper ship on the Galaxy Map
? This is bullshit design right now, I get 3 hits, Reapers show up >.<

No, I'm sorry.

The Normandy crew apparantly removed the upgrades we made to it during Mass Effect 2. You know, the same upgrades we used to one-shot a Reaper cruiser in Omega-4.

Oh well.

6-8 hours in and I have a question about the following sidequest:
Rescued Jack and the biotic kids from the academy. Does she show up anywhere on the Normandy?

Thanks

Hit up the bar on the Citadel, she'll be there.

Yeah, that part where Casey Hudson said he didn't really read fan-fiction was clearly a lie.

I wish that part had stayed DLC. I never would've downloaded it, probably.

As it is now, though... Goddamn. I only made the mental connection the moment right before it happened, too. It's the first time a Mass Effect game made me groan out loud. :lol I'd probably mind it less if
I could change her appearance into something... Well, more suited for a goddamn warship
, but I'm not sure I can do that.

And the animations...
The first moment she walks out of the smoke she's doing this wannabe-sexy strut. I mean, I can understand they give her human animations because that's what her body was meant to impersonate, but right off the bat? Ugh.

Just let go of all your "serious" scifi expectations, and embrace the cheese.
Seriously, the game gets a lot better if you do that.

The stark contrast between occasionally uttering "holy crap" while fighting the Reapers and then being confronted with that made my brain roll around in my skull. It hurts.

Oh, by the way, I've noticed unlocking a bonus power is now tied to having that one conversation with your teammates, but it looks like I didn't unlock Liara's after having our Normandy chat. Does that one unlock some other way or did I miss it?

Oh, and the way the Scimitar shotgun works now makes it an absolute beast. Forty rounds, Incendiary Ammo and fully upgraded Charge, and I'm popping heads like there's no tomorrow. The Katana's too weak and that N7 one's too heavy but this one is just right.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Revenant + Marksman w/ rate of fire and accuracy upgrades + Ammo power + other passive weapon damage bonuses = DEATH TO ALL ENEMIES.

A soldier may be a little boring compared to the other classes, but I can't deny how easy it is to mow down everyone in sight.

McNum

Bring as little weapons as possible, weight effects power recharge rate.
That's why I'm leaving the pistol and shotgun on the table. Sniper for far targets, SMG for quick targets, and Heavy Melee for, well, melee targets. (And squadmates to run interference.) Or sneaking up to someone and asking him if my Omniblade works. I do want a good sniper rifle on this one, he's always been a crack shot. Surprisingly, one of the only games I can snipe decently in. Or should I leave the SMG and take a pistol, perhaps? Hmm, I think that will have to be tried out.

Damn Blue Ninja getting games early. First Skyrim and now this.

I jest, enjoy the game.

It's Friday now, so all's good. :p

I went through rain and mud to get it. If there is a hell, I assume it's very wet and slimy.

We should do co-op some time.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's Friday now, so all's good. :p

I went through rain and mud to get it. If there is a hell, I assume it's very wet and slimy.

We should do co-op some time.

Heh, it better be worth it.

As for co-op, sure. Your GT is in the multiplayer thread I assume? I'll add you tomorrow and we can play sometime.

Revenant + Marksman w/ rate of fire and accuracy upgrades + Ammo power + other passive weapon damage bonuses = DEATH TO ALL ENEMIES.

A soldier may be a little boring compared to the other classes, but I can't deny how easy it is to mow down everyone in sight.

Soldier is surprisingly fun, and better for Sniping than Infiltrator (lol, suckers, let's take out time dilation trololol).

Engineers are DICKS. Those turrets are the hardest things in the game so far, goddamn.

That's why you kill them first.

I just did a replay of ME1 and it's exactly what Confidence Man laments about ME3's combat and level design. Better to say: If you didn't like ME1's combat and level design, you won't like ME2's, and you definitely won't like ME3's.

Heh, it better be worth it.

As for co-op, sure. Your GT is in the multiplayer thread I assume? I'll add you tomorrow and we can play sometime.

It's BlueNinja BE. Go ahead. I'm not on Gold yet, but I have the two-day code at least. I'll probably upgrade next week or so, after I've beaten the game.

Oh, one little thing I like about the War Assets:
The fact that I chose to sacrifice part of the Alliance fleet to save the Council actually impacted my galactic readiness, which means I'll have to do more work.

Oh, and about Udina...
The fool got his hair dyed. And a little respect from me, for the first time in his virtual life.

Zeliard

I just did a replay of ME1 and it's exactly what Confidence Man laments about ME3's combat and level design. Better to say: If you didn't like ME1's combat and level design, you won't like ME2's, and you definitely won't like ME3's.

ME3's combat 'arenas' are far bigger. People don't seem to want to take that into account. If you're sitting behind cover the entire time taking potshots, then yeah it may not seem that different. You have to move around.

I just replayed ME2 right before ME3 and the difference is night & day. You're far more mobile in ME3 and the level design takes that into account, as do the enemies, since they're super-aggressive (at least on Insanity) and like to flush you out of cover in various ways.

Tried looking through thread, didn't see anything...but can someone help me better understand the scanning while flying around?

So I get that scanning triggers some planets that can be "salvaged." What I'm having trouble grasping is the Reaper stuff. So if I scan for stuff too much, Reapers invade, and I can no longer explore the area until I clear a mission?

That...really sucks. I like flying around and reading the planet descriptions, but I can't even do that because 2 or 3 scans (sometimes even 1 scan will trigger the Reapers) and Reapers show up.

Am I doing something wrong?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The trick is picking a class that has AI hack (think it's called sabotage now) like Infiltrator and making enemies who drop Atlas mechs or turrets look foolish :p

Yeah, I'll be Infiltrator on Insanity, but I'm always Vanguard first. I'm literally trying to scope engineers from the start, charging and making sure to kill them before they plant a turret. It's way too hard to charge around knowing a turret can basically end me if there's no cover nearby. Didn't really have squad mates well equipped to help at the time.

lol, From Ashes mission?

Engineers are huge assholes.

That, and a side mission afterwards
at the Academy

The side mission was especially hard with it. Multiple turrets got placed, had something out regenerating shields constantly, and an Atlas.

Can someone help me not sure if worth spoiler..
Im 17 hours in and i probably missed getting a doctor on board normandy.
So is there a way to still get Chakwas onboard and where can i find her?

Getting Galaxy Readiness to 100% so i can finish the campaign tomorrow or friday i hope.

Doodis

What's the point of the flowers/candy/poetry you can buy?
I was assuming that you could
give them to Ashley (or your significant other) in the hospital, but then she's in a coma. I bought all this crap to give her thinking it would make her happy and then she's out of it.
That better not be money wasted. And while we're on the subject,
Ashley better wake up soon. I didn't miss out on a romance during the whole second game only to have my love interest be put in a freaking coma for the rest of the ME3.
I'll be pissed if things don't change soon.

I like how the squad alternate costumes actually do something other than looking different.

What do they do? I didn't notice anything other than a cosmetic change.

Pollux

This fucking game....man this game is awesome.

I'm over 11 hours in, and (3rd priority mission)
priority mission on Tuchanka

I'm guessing I still have a long way to go to finish the game?

WaltJay

Free Normandy Avatar prop if anyone wants it; I have one already.

9P7JQ-FYQVT-PT4V3-FKMRJ-JMMYZ

Please post if you use the code.

Pollux

Holy shit, fucking awesome! Squad and crew members move to different locations on the Normandy. Finally it seems as if it's a real ship with real people who don't calibrate guns 24/7

Dang it, this is why I don't order collector's editions very often. Taken me nearly an hour to download all of the stuff, agree to all these things, enter codes, and get my discs installed, haha.

X-Frame

My only negative complaint so far is receiving side missions that I can't complete. What's the point of having them available then?

Serious

Engineers are fantastic. Finished my Engineer run on Insanity last night, fresh off my ME2 NG+ playthrough, and the class is just so much better. One thing you should know: they've added Tech combinations much like Biotics already have, so bring multiple tech based classes with you works out very well. For example, if I Overload a target, then quickly use a squadmate's Incinerate, it does massive damage to the target plus a good amount to nearby enemies. And if you kill a target with Overload while they have Incinerate on them, you get another explosion. It's pretty fun, even in Multiplayer. There's a lot of combos like that, it's gone a long way to making the class more compelling.

Top Bottom