• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

GorillaJu

so im nearing the end and lost Thane, Legion, and Miranda during the story. Curious is any of these can be avoided.

It's my own fault for clicking this and spoilers don't bother me too much but for fucks sake couldnt you give some hint as to the content of your spoiler? Whats the point of using the tag if your whole post is black? For all I know you were asking a question about the first Citidel sequence.

Dany

Banned
The ending matters to me for sure, but some of these missions in between are some of my favorite missions in the ME games so far.

So much of the game has been great and the call backs to 2 and 1 are fantastic. I agree, some of the ways things are wrapping up is quite great.

that's what LOST fans tell themselves every night before bed

I am a Lost fan. :p

The ending made me tear up and was really a touching way to end the show

Coldsnap

Really really bumbed about the import face glitch, I liked the way my shep looked and now I feel like there was zero point in saving my save file

So much of the game has been great and the call backs to 2 and 1 are fantastic. I agree, some of the ways things are wrapping up is quite great.

Yeah, it really says something about the quality of the game when my least favorite mission so far is still almost better than every sidequest in 2 and maybe 1.

i know it may have been driven down to death,but can u tell me .
if MP is required for the "Best " ending.
i dont mind griding thru SP for it,but is MP required at all?

Zeliard

Heh, just realized there's a running ground slam melee attack. I never noticed it since I always Charge to get up in an enemy's grill. :p The move is sorta pointless as Vanguard when you have Charge + Nova, but for other classes it might be useful.

Derrick01

Banned
And do XP prompts pop up frequently? I did not like the XP system in 2.

As far as combat goes it seems to pop up after each "wave" of enemy. It's not like dragon age 2 where waves keep coming out of nowhere, but I mean there's a clear start and end to each wave and you'll see the xp pop up.

You also get xp for reading datapads, opening medigel containers (i think you get more if you're at max medigel though I can't confirm that) and after completing sidequests. It's a much better system than 2.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
hey guize.

i have a code for the prima games e-guide.

quote meh for pee em.

prwxv3

As far as combat goes it seems to pop up after each "wave" of enemy. It's not like dragon age 2 where waves keep coming out of nowhere, but I mean there's a clear start and end to each wave and you'll see the xp pop up.

You also get xp for reading datapads, opening medigel containers (i think you get more if you're at max medigel though I can't confirm that) and after completing sidequests. It's a much better system than 2.

Is the credit system better too. I hat the fact that you could never get more credits easily after all missions were over.

Derrick01

Banned
Is the credit system better too. I hat the fact that you could never get more credits easily after all missions were over.

Uh well there's more opportunities to get credits and more choices of things to buy. Like I've seen spectre items that cost around 200k but I haven't had more than 120k at once because of all the weapons and upgrades I buy. There's a bit more freedom in that department.

Nori Chan

Well I'm level 40 in ME1 after a no sidequest missions at all.

Does difficulty (From normal to insanity) affect xp? Will I be able to hit 60 by the end of the insanity run?

So if I chose double nova, but I also have the "25% chance of not draining barrier when using nova", if that procs does it still count my nova as doing 40% less damage?

Here's my impression of the first 3.5 hours I've played.

I'm just now on the normandy where I can do what I want, and I've talked to all the crew available.

It's kind of weird. I think the way I'm feeling thus far is ME1 was like looking at a normal mirror (since it's the first, establishing and all), ME2 was like looking in a frosted mirror (looks very similar, but some things are different), but ME3 feels like looking in a funhouse mirror. All of the parts are there, but it just doesn't really look the same at all. I'm not sure if I like that or dislike that, but it's kind of how it feels. Everything is familiar, but so different it's like I'm playing an entirely other series/game. Between the different sounds, the strong use of blacks, and the even blockier designs of armor and things, and all the SHINY on the citadel... it just has this somewhat uncomfortable feel right now. I'm hoping it'll just take a little getting used to.

Combat was pretty boring so far, honestly. I'm just playing on normal at the moment, but it feels kind of lazy, in regards to enemies. I'm rolling Vanguard, and I basically just hide in cover and repeatedly hit the "pull" button to kill everything. I'll still charge and melee once in a while, but pull's so effective that I haven't fallen on my shotgun much at all. In fact, I think I only fired my gun three or four times, outside the early stuff with Anderson.

I like the addition of the quicksave, but I'm not sure I like that they got rid of holstering weapons in its stead. It'll depend on how effective and close to the time I hit quicksave that it actually proves its value.

The kid stuff is so incredibly hamfisted, weak, and expected. Oh noes, not poor, little, innocent Timmy! MY HEART STRINGS HAVE BEEN TUGGED! The dream sequence with him had me cracking up. Seriously? The kid on fire? hahahahahaahahaha
I think they'd have been better off leaving that on the cutting room floor. It's earth, I don't need some little kid to make me invested in a motive behind wanting to save the planet.

Ugh, that snooki/video game lady is awful. What a terrible reason to have her on board. Not to mention she sounds completely bored with all of her readings. "Oh, thanks, you just made my ratings go through the roof." Really? Are you being sarcastic? I'm really not sure.

LOL REALLY? Please don't tell me that's all Ashley was here for. Geez, I can't even visit her room again after that one cutscene.

At least, I'm a little more pleased that we're getting full lines of dialogue referencing things we did in past games. Even if it comes off as more of "I'M READING A LIST" than fitting organically. Well, other than Dr. Michel. That one was okay, so far.

The thing that probably bothers me the most is how urgent they tried to establish everything at the start, but shortly after people are telling me "hey, stop by when you aren't doing anything." Well, you know, I should probably be doing something ALL THE TIME. I don't want to, from a player's perspective, but the story feels so undercut with the subquest/downtime stuff.

I guess I'm kind of on the fence right now. I'm sure my opinion will change in the next few days, but I'm hoping it's for the better.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So is the writing of this game really on the same tier as fan fiction? I've heard this from a couple of people.

JWong

Banned
there are time limits.

So these limits. Are they like mission per mission basis?

Or is it like, do a bunch of missions and everyone dies because you didn't get to them fast enough. I don't mean the whole war effort balancing act. Just don't want that whole stupid ME2 crew abduction shit again.

So is the writing of this game really on the same tier as fan fiction? I've heard this from a couple of people.
I'm only 3.5 hours in, but some of it is really obtuse and laughable. There have been some lines that made me scratch my head because it's basically flying in the face of everything that has happened in the previous games (not big things, but still weird), there's some really obvious and poorly executed attempts at trying to get the player emotionally (both in cutscenes and the fact that every human character has an investigation dialogue of "Family?"), and just not the best stuff in general.

It's not horrible, but it kind of makes you wonder where the editor was for some of it. I'm sure it varies just as much as the writing in the previous 2 games does, but it's not starting off on its best foot.

Derrick01

Banned
For what it's worth I haven't noticed any missing sidequests yet but I don't know how they work. Does a failed quest still end up in your list of "completed" quests (the grayed out section in the journal)? Because if they do then looking through them now I've actually completed all of these.

It seems like if you just try to do the ones that you're able to do when you get them you'll be ok. I've done both real sidequests and N7 missions and haven't noticed anything missing afterwards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
so im nearing the end and lost Thane, Legion, and Miranda during the story. Curious is any of these can be avoided.

Managed to quote and reply this post without reading it. But WHY is this your full post?

Do we need a fucking "How to spoiler 101" thread? Jesus. Post how far you are in the game, or some other general hint. A random black bar as a post could be one hour in or the very end of the game.

RedSwirl

For what it's worth I haven't noticed any missing sidequests yet but I don't know how they work. Does a failed quest still end up in your list of "completed" quests (the grayed out section in the journal)? Because if they do then looking through them now I've actually completed all of these.

It seems like if you just try to do the ones that you're able to do when you get them you'll be ok. I've done both real sidequests and N7 missions and haven't noticed anything missing afterwards.

So you can miss and fail quests?

The thing I don't like is how this game doesn't tell you your current status in a quest. It all feels pretty vague.

Also, any way to deal with the Hurricane's ridiculous recoil? Does that DLC SMG return in this game?

Guesong

So these limits. Are they like mission per mission basis?

Or is it like, do a bunch of missions and everyone dies because you didn't get to them fast enough. I don't mean the whole war effort balancing act. Just don't want that whole stupid ME2 crew abduction shit again.

I've finished the game and I have not had a single limit per se what so ever.

Take your time, do the sidequests before the main quests and you're good to go.

thetechkid

The mission on Grissom Academy really has some cool throw backs to the past, hope the rest of the game is just like this or better.

Wiggum2007

Early game minor spoilers:
Anyone else have Illusive Man glitch out for a moment during the conversation on Mars?
It's happened to me both times I've played through that section.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Mid to late game spoilers. (Involves Quarians & Geth)

- The Virtual Reality mission was great. A little boring since I didn't fight anyone, but the environment looked cool as hell and it provided some backstory to the beginning of the Quarian/Geth war.
- The final mission on Rannoch was pretty standard, until the very end. Taking down that huge Reaper as it slowly marched towards me was awe-inspiring. I only died once, but it still felt intense the whole time.
- I managed to save both the Quarians and Geth, but at the cost of Legion. All the good people are dying. Thane, Mordin, now Legion. And stupid Jacob lives. Samara almost committed suicide, but I got my hand back on the mouse to hit the interrupt just in time. I keep forgetting about the interrupts.
- The whole Quarian/Geth arc is going to be insanely different for my next playthrough. Tali died in ME2, and I never activated Legion. Something tells me one side or both is not going to be happy.

My Galactic Readiness bar is already at 100%, and I haven't touched the multiplayer. I'm not going to until I beat the game with my second Shep. It would feel cheap to not have that character feel the repercussions of her actions.

Derrick01

Banned
So you can miss and fail quests?

The thing I don't like is how this game doesn't tell you your current status in a quest. It all feels pretty vague.

Also, any way to deal with the Hurricane's ridiculous recoil? Does that DLC SMG return in this game?

Yeah you can fail some quests but I'm assuming it's just some of the fetch ones. But like I said I haven't noticed anything missing from my log so it must be tied to doing main story missions and I don't go for those until I've done everything I can up to that point.

On a different topic I was liking how slow it was taking to fill my EMS bar up, made me feel like the game was going to go on forever. But after getting 1/3 of the bar filled in like 15 hours the second 1/3 was done in like 5 hours. I hope I still have a lot left, this game is too good.

Top Bottom