• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Oh, and the early N7 mission that takes you to
Grissom academy was great. Somehow I had always imagined Sanders to be darker-skinned. Seeing Jack again was great, though, she looked good. And that argument with Joker was priceless.
:lol

Also, I'm kinda disappointed in Joker in this game. In ME1 and 2 he was kinda snide and sarcastic, but with some good dialog. In ME3 so far he reminded me more of a college kid trying to get laid. Maybe it has to do with
sexbot EDI
, but dammit, it's not my bro Joker anymore. Except for the scene mentioned in the above paragraph.

Kem0sabe

Also, I'm kinda disappointed in Joker in this game. In ME1 and 2 he was kinda snide and sarcastic, but with some good dialog. In ME3 so far he reminded me more of a college kid trying to get laid. Maybe it has to do with
sexbot EDI
, but dammit, it's not my bro Joker anymore. Except for the scene mentioned in the above paragraph.

His ongoing "thing" with
EDI is nice, talking with EDI at the citadel while she tries to figure out how to seduce Joker is adorable, im truly excited about what comes next for those 2
:)

His ongoing "thing" with
EDI is nice, talking with EDI at the citadel while she tries to figure out how to seduce Joker is adorable, im truly excited about what comes next for those 2
:)

Lol same here. Should be great, like you said, it's so cute haha.

syoaran

M1Qiil.jpg

THANK YOU BASED AMAZON.

BAH!!! BAHHH I SAY!!! Mine is still "Prep for dispatch"

I was kinda hoping the CE box would be the same size as the Gears of War 3 one. That way the 3 collections would match. :lol

And Shepard's reaction when EDI tells one of her 'jokes'
pretty much sums up my reaction every time I see her.

GorillaJu

Damn Skellington how are you that far ahead with only 6 hours played? I'm at 15 and not there yet. I thought I'd be safe reading those spoilers. Ah well.

I have my Wraith (Spectre Shotgun) at level 5 now. I only carry it and a light pistol. I spec'd myself to spam stealth and sabotage with cryo ammo 1-shotting nearly every enemy, in order to synergize with a certain squad mate whose Overload and Incinerate are spec'd to synergize with me.

It's so sick. I love the variety and situations you can create for yourself in the combat in this game.

Beat this last night, obsessively played it for about 25 hours over 2 days, loved (mostly) every minute of it. Still undecided if I enjoyed it more than ME2, I think I need to let it (and the ending) sink in a bit more. The story and what I was doing in the game felt better than ME2, not working for Cerberus, and the overall feeling of complete despair the entire game was pretty great.

Started a New Game+ on Insanity. So far it's not too bad, but I'm already REALLY not looking forward to a few parts that I thought while playing on Normal was going to cause some serious stress on Insanity. More specifically, toward the end of the game, while in
the streets of London, and coming up against 4-5 Brutes at a time along with 10 other random enemies surrounding you, etc. I'm hoping maybe it's time based toward the end and you can try and hold out until the missiles are ready to launch, but I couldn't tell.

Overall, I'm upset that my favorite new franchise this gen is done already. I know they're not done with the franchise as a whole, but my Shepard's story is ostensibly finished. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Kem0sabe

So Eurogamer is now saying (after they published their perfect score review) that the PS3 version of the game has serious technical issues...

These "one size fits all" reviews have always bothered me. All platforms are different, and as we all know, games are often ported poorly from their lead development platform, case in point Xbox 360 to PC and PS3... so why not review each version independently for a more accurate portrait?

I don´t think it´s fair to the potential ME3 PS3 buyer to read a glowing review and score and then find out the game is poorly optimized for the system.

After Fallout, then Skyrim and now Mass Effect 3, all of them with high scores in multiplatform reviews, all with serious problems on the PS3 (in the case of the first 2 turning the games unplayable for many), i´m starting to think that this is more than an oversight and is simply malicious in it´s intent.

So Eurogamer is now saying (after they published their perfect score review) that the PS3 version of the game has serious technical issues...

These "one size fits all" reviews have always bothered me. All platforms are different, and as we all know, games are often ported poorly from their lead development platform, case in point Xbox 360 to PC and PS3... so why not review each version independently for a more accurate portrait?

I don´t think it´s fair to the potential ME3 PS3 buyer to read a glowing review and score and then find out the game is poorly optimized for the system.

After Fallout, then Skyrim and now Mass Effect 3, all of them with high scores in multiplatform reviews, i starting to think that this is more than an oversight and is simply malicious in it´s intent.

I swear I read somewhere that PS3 was the lead platform for ME3 O.O

d1rtn4p

Yeah, I'm playing it on PS3 and it's terrible. Mostly for the framerate, which during the cutscenes, looks like a old stop-motion movie.

Otherwise, I've only put a few hours into it, but feels very linear thus far. I just now got to the Citadel, so hopefully it opens up quite a bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Some websites do, though it's usually PC/console split. I feel the platform for the review should be explicitly stated, and I don't feel the performance/quality of other builds should effect that particular review, unless the review is intended to be 'one size fits all'.

So yeah, it's more of an oversight. That and no reviewer is ever going to have the time to play, to completion, the same long game across several platforms. What reviewers should do is either assign separate reviewers for different platforms, or in the case of only reviewing it once, make it clear what platform it was reviewed on.

Kem0sabe

I feel bad for people who cannot enjoy games despite technical flaws.

Personally, i played all 3 of the games i referenced on the PC, and (except for bugs) the performance was great. But from what i hear Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas at a certain point became unplayable on the PS3, as in... the game could not be enjoyed at all.

In the case of ME3, playing it on the pc, i would find it unplayable as well if it ran at such low frame rates as the PS3 version is reportedly suffering of.

GorillaJu

Sure. But ME3 on PS3 isn't broken or ruined by frame rate dips.

It's like people who can't play games with tearing. I don't really notice tearing and it doesn't bother me. I feel bad for people who can't get past it.

14fps? I can think of one cutscenes where I noticed the frame rate get especially slow, but it was a less than 20 second cut of a dialog scene.

During gameplay, I'd wager it never goes below 24 or so. Seems smooth 95% of the time. I have noticed a few little hiccups with models glitching cutscenes and that makes me angry that Bioware didn't properly QA the game.

But I can't stress enough that the game isn't ruined.

Grakl

It's like people who can't play games with tearing. I don't really notice tearing and it doesn't bother me. I feel bad for people who can't get past it.

Why didn't you just put this in your first post. When it comes to other games, I disagree with your original statement. Haven't played ME3 so I don't know if anything is necessarily game breaking.

I went back to read your first statement, and you used the word "despite" which basically means without (so, without flaws). I still read it as with flaws. Funny.

Derrick01

Banned
I woke up like 2 hours earlier than I normally do just because I wanted to get back to the game after doing that one awesome mission last night. I feel like shit but that's not going to stop me!

GorillaJu

I feel bad for people who can enjoy games despite their technical flaws.

Anyway, it's going to be one shitty weekend if they don't dispatch my order soon.

If you grew up playing the NES and SNES and then the PSX, you had to have some tolerance for all manner of imperfections.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I woke up like 2 hours earlier than I normally do just because I wanted to get back to the game after doing that one awesome mission last night. I feel like shit but that's not going to stop me!

Got a quick question, is there any of that exploration feeling from ME1 in ME3 at all (say the cloned planets and so fourth)?

Kem0sabe

I see your point, as i usually run with vsync off, tearing is something i got used to pretty quickly playing games on a pc, but i can see why graphical glitches and overall poor performance might annoy some.

Regarding the case in point of ME3 on the PS3, i have a PS3, more of a media center than a games console for me, and i only tried the demo, so can´t attest to the full game and it´s performance. One thing i can say tho, is that the demo ran poorly, and that should at least be worth a specific and clear note of attention to readers in every single multiplatform review.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got a quick question, is there any of that exploration feeling from ME1 in ME3 at all (say the cloned planets and so fourth)?

Nope. Levels can sometimes be a bit more open in terms of combat environment, the new modifications system means there's more 'loot' around and stuff to discover, but by large ME3 is an extension of the ME2 philosophy. A much, much better rendition of said philosophy, but there's nothing like ME1's uncharted worlds.

Kem0sabe

The level´s themselves give the illusion of being more open than the 2 previous games, still linear mind you but they "feel" different (for the better). Regarding exploration, you don´t actually explore planets, besides the main game hub (citadel), the planets you do land on are pure combat scenarios a la ME2.

My CE just got here (thank you based Shopto), it;s a lot prettier than the CEs for 1 and 2.

Looks like I have a date with FlyVPN tonight. Three hours until I can leave work, bah.

GorillaJu

Yes I think you're right about that, but reviews very rarely go into technical details. They'd have to also mention the downsides of the 360 version, such as black crush and disc swapping.

In the end they probably choose to disregard it all, review the one copy they have and let it fly.

bigace33

Game started off pretty slow, but now it has ramped up about ten notches. The dlc is completely worth it just for the new character alone. He is very informative about Mass Effect backlore and history, and he is funny(although he is really not trying to be). The fire fights in this game are intense too. Loving it so far.

Derrick01

Banned

Nope there's very little exploration. The side missions you do though are pretty entertaining. Like EatChildren said it's a much better version of ME2 in that regard.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Now i feel very dirty for working with Cerbreus in mass effect 2. I knew they were insane since the first game but this is a whole new level for them.

EatChildren

Game started off pretty slow, but now it has ramped up about ten notches. The dlc is completely worth it just for the new character alone. He is very informative about Mass Effect backlore and history, and he is funny(although he is really not trying to be). The fire fights in this game are intense too. Loving it so far.

What I really liked about the way the DLC character is presented is that he
conflicts with the typical romanticism associated with historic perception of cultures. The Protheans, via their lore and study, particularly by Liara, are seen as an ancient, wondrous species. Yet in the flesh, you're forced to deal with the personalised version of each create as an individual. It's no different to how some people romanticise lost cultures (samurai, azteks, etc) with awe and mysticism, yet the reality would be some much more human. Hell, you see it with modern cultures: Westerns romanticising Buddism and such. Yet meet a Buddist and you're taken back down to reality.

I like that he was kinda like that. A more 'real' version of the Protheans, and not the history and myth as seen through study and theory.

Kem0sabe

Yes I think you're right about that, but reviews very rarely go into technical details. They'd have to also mention the downsides of the 360 version, such as black crush and disc swapping.

In the end they probably choose to disregard it all, review the one copy they have and let it fly.

For multiplatform review sites, i understand that human resources are limited and there are only so many hours in a day to play and take notes on games.

I think the truly "guilty" parties in this, and i use the term very loosely, are the sites/magazines that focus on one platform, like the official PS3 magazine review 10/10 those have a duty to inform their readers of all the caveats and not just be a "hype/sales generating machine" if you will.

IGN on the other hand, used the PS3 version as their review copy for ME3, i know IGN is generally considered shit around here, but they should have least have tried to be half decent.

Kem0sabe

conflicts with the typical romanticism associated with historic perception of cultures. The Protheans, via their lore and study, particularly by Liara, are seen as an ancient, wondrous species. Yet in the flesh, you're forced to deal with the personalised version of each create as an individual. It's no different to how some people romanticise lost cultures (samurai, azteks, etc) with awe and mysticism, yet the reality would be some much more human. Hell, you see it with modern cultures: Westerns romanticising Buddism and such. Yet meet a Buddist and you're taken back down to reality.

I like that he was kinda like that. A more 'real' version of the Protheans, and not the history and myth as seen through study and theory.

I think the way Protean´s have been written in ME3, is one of bioware´s best story achievement´s in the ME series so far.
Instead of the "wise benefactor" cliche they could have gone with, we got a culture that was fighting one war after another and had to do what was necessary to survive, even if that meant enslaving half the galaxy.

I couldn't import my face so I used one of the pregen ones and it didn't take but 5 minutes for me to run into a Shepard clone in the game. I really regret not doing further customization.

bigace33

I couldn't have said it better.

Salih

I'm @23hrs - still haven't met every char from the last game. some insane moments so far.
but holy crap - everyone is dying. I actually weeped a bit at [late Citadel spoiler]
Thane. Everything about him before he dies was amazing. That fight against Kai Ling - wow
. best Mass Effect - character period. How dare you, Bioware :(

and about Tali after her main mission:
That picture of her unmasked - gorgeous.

This game is constantly delivering. It has been a long time since i have been that hooked to a game. I can't wait to see the final ending to this. Mass Effect has been the greatest new franchise in this generation.

Z_Y

Did anybody else get their Newegg pre-order and find a copy of Madden 12 instead? I did....I thought I was an isolated incident but I woke up to this email:

Dear Valued Customer,
We’re contacting you today regarding your recent purchase of the Mass Effect 3 Xbox 360 game. It appears there may have been an error when fulfilling and shipping your order. We’ve received reports that some customers may have received Madden NFL 2012 Xbox 360 instead of the intended product.

To correct this error, a Customer Service Representative will be contacting you at the phone number provided by you within your account to arrange an advanced replacement, if necessary. The Representative will also arrange an RMA with a prepaid return shipping label. Please note that when arranging advanced returns, we do require a credit card number to be on file in the event the originally-shipped product is not returned. Please expect this call within the next 2 to 3 business days; of course, you may contact Newegg customer support earlier as well if you wish.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As a courtesy, your advanced replacement game will be shipped via overnight delivery at no additional cost to you in the hope that you receive your game as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Newegg Customer Support

How nice of them to ship via overnight delivery at no additional cost to me.

Playing on the PC....gotta say, it looks great, runs at a 100% consistent 60 FPS so far and the loading times are non-existent. Human faces still toy with the uncanny valley a lot of the time. Alien faces basically always look great. I have a pretty good PC, but it's not tough the line. Loading times really irk me so it just feels free and less cumbersome than the last two, which I played on the 360.

Seems really good so far. I went in a little less than psyched, but I'm really enjoying it(I guess I've played 6 hours or something). James Vega is really good. Really interested in doing these quests, exploring these places, finding out what happens next, etc.. VA is good, Citadel is cooler than ever, lots of good stuff to say.

I'm playing on the difficulty above normal, and some of the combat has flat pissed me off, but it's also really rewarding in places.

How did the Elcor build a civilization? They don't have fingers, much less opposable thumbs. How do they get those rugs on their backs? Is that addressed in the lore anywhere? I can suspend my disbelief for the Hanar cause they have those tentacles; they can probably pick up spears and hammers with those things.

Shit, choosing between Miranda and Ashley is tough. :lol

Think I'm gonna go for dat ass, though. Ashley didn't care when I pulled my Space Jesus-moves on Horizon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Loadings are fucking fast on PC compared to ME2. I dont even have time to read the tips, which is quite an accomplishment when i could read ME2 loading tips like 10 times before.

How can people already be in Surkesh after 4-5 hours? I must have played 10 hours already and i only got done with
Palaven
and a bunch of Citadel sidequests. I guess not everyone listen to what people has to say through "investigations" and do not explore much.

and about Tali after her main mission:
That picture of her unmasked - gorgeous.

don't look up the origins of that photo then though, it could potentially ruin it for you, haha. that's if you haven't already, the internet is in a bit of an uproar about it. wouldn't be a modern Bioware release without that, though. anyhow, I decided to wipe out the Geth because I couldn't bring myself to do that to the Quarians/Tali. hearing she offs herself shortly afterward, I'm really glad I didn't. fuck.

Top Bottom