• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The asshole who designed the
targeting the reaper
section near the end should die. What a stupid piece of shit segment. Maybe worse than ME2`s Horizon.

The insanely long load times don't help either. :/

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The worst thing? It's not a DLC. I finished it yesterday, I can tell you it 100% belongs into the main game.

Same, yep. Thats a huge part of the lore that they hold out for DLC. Stuff like Kasumi and Zaeed are just nice additions if you want them but they don't withhold anything essential. This is not that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mass Effect 3 completed. 24,5 hours on the clock, all side quests (aside from Kasumi, whom I didn't have in ME2) completed.
Didn't like the ending, but aside from that, it was a really great game.

So I just started playing this game.

WTF at the faces. First it won't import the face I've been using for the past two games, and it feels like a stranger is playing my game. Also, WTF at Ashley. Whoever thought that hatchet job they pulled on her face was a good idea?!

Fucking Quarians and
starting a war with the Geth at the worst possible moment. Assholes. Drove the Geth all the way into the hands of the Reapers.

Now I gotta clean up this mess.

Edit:
Now they're firing on the unarmed Dreadnaught. God dammit.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Mass Effect 3 completed. 24,5 hours on the clock, all side quests (aside from Kasumi, whom I didn't have in ME2) completed.
Didn't like the ending, but aside from that, it was a really great game.

25 hrs? Thats about the same length of the 1st game and about 1/2 as long as ME2. Am disappoint.

Also, WTF at Ashley. Whoever thought that hatchet job they pulled on her face was a good idea?!

Whaaa? She looks great.

25 hrs? Thats about the same length of the 1st game and about 1/2 as long as ME2. Am disappoint.

Don't go by other people's playthroughs dude. Like you took you 25 hours for ME1, it took me about 45 hours, and ME2 took 39 hours on my first time. Everyone's different.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I have played around 10 hours and i barely moved the story forward. I think i only did 3 main missions so far. People completing it in 24 hours probably skipped a bunch of sidequests(although this guy said he didnt, maybe he rushed? I dunno.), or never talked to people and "investigate" them. Hell, they might have played in Action mode.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
All of the three games took me about 25 hours to complete.
Mind you, I've done every quest (in all 3), loyalty mission in 2 (aside from the said Kasumi) and explored all the places I could.

The thing is, I have subtitles on and skip lines when I finish reading them, which is usually halfway or 2/3 in. I guess this is the main reason for my clear time.
Oh, I've played on Normal.

Kem0sabe

Any pics?

EDIT: Thingonthefloor - any more detail on the uproar?

Basically they photoshop some girl´s pic from the interweb, remove 2 fingers from one of her hands and added some bits to it and thats it. If you search for it on the web, you will find that from the end sequence to the illusive man´s starring at the star background are ripped off from sources like Deviant Art and stock photos.

Finally EU is joining the rest of the world! :D

me3-small3j5y4e.jpg

(just to make sure yes it is a real picture from my copy)

Also IF I get the import error can I still play the game with my import save? Do I just need the change the face?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
if I may throw in a question - is the From Ashes DLC worth the price/is it important to the story/how is the companion?
I'd say it is - bought standard edition and the DLC and don't regret it, even though I didn't often use that companion. Adds a lot to the lore despite that.

JMizzlin

Just finished it. Bloody hell. Great game.

e: Best thing about it was how compelling it was. Once I picked it up I just couldn't put it down. It was just so enjoyable for the entirety of the ride.

So I'm considering to make a few characters die during my second playthrough of ME2, probably Jacob, Thane and a third one. Would I miss a lot in my ME3 playthrough ?

harrytang

boot the game up for the first time yesterday and it's showing me as 50% readiness in each galaxy sector. shouldn't i be starting at 0%? played about 4 multiplayer games and im already up to 67%. is this normal? i am importing for me2 but it showed 50% before i even started my first game.

Hazmat

I fucking adored a conversation between two NPCs in the Normandy cockpit (12ish hours in):

Joker and Garrus trading jokes about humans and turians. Just awesome. Garrus is my homeboy.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You get a special power -
slam
and backstory about the Protheans - otherwise, you can probably skip it.
You actually get
two special powers (like with all other members - the second one near the end), in case of the Prothean, the second one is his curse something

Arjen

I love it so far, only a couple hours in but it feels good playing with my real shep again.
Love that you get XP during missions again, and really love that you can one button save now! (360)

Petrie

Banned
Regarding the ending:

I did pretty much every side mission but still didn't get the master and commander achievement. Does this mean I didn't get the best ending option? My guage was full as arounf 7000, but I didn't touch the MP to increase the %

Any pics?

EDIT: Thingonthefloor - any more detail on the uproar?

like Kem0sabe said, just search "Tali stock photo" to see it if you want. personally I don't let things that that get to me, not enough it's going to ruin the game for me. If you take it for what it is, it's effective. It's when you start breaking apart every aspect of the game that you're ruining it for yourself. Bioware has been so under the internet's microscope for the past couple of years that seeing people get in such an uproar over something barely story related is pretty standard, sadly.

Not that there aren't other valid story-related issues I could fans becoming upset over, but to see stuff like this along with "LAZY BIOWARE AT IT AGAIN" is eye-rolling.

like Kem0sabe said, just search "Tali stock photo" to see it if you want. personally I don't let things that that get to me, not enough it's going to ruin the game for me. If you take it for what it is, it's effective. It's when you start breaking apart every aspect of the game that you're ruining it for yourself. Bioware has been so under the internet's microscope for the past couple of years that seeing people get in such an uproar over something barely story related is pretty standard, sadly.

Not that there aren't other valid story-related issues I could fans becoming upset over, but to see stuff like this along with "LAZY BIOWARE AT IT AGAIN" is eye-rolling.
yeah, there is a vocal group in the internet who loves to hate on every little thing Bioware does. Its pretty stupid.

Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game, regardless of its flaws. I really hope they dont stop making more games in the universe soon. I want my Garrus film-noir detective game!

12 hours? Da fuck!? Did you play on easy and skip every sidequest?

Normal, and I pretty much stuck to the main quest. Same with 2 (including loyalty stuff).

I'm doing the same with 3 now.

Insanity playthroughs are where I do everything - if I spent 30 hours doing side quests on my first playthrough the pacing of the main story would be raped.

Regarding story length, this game took me about 25 hours on Normal. That's with all side-stories accomplished, minus 1 or 2 that disappeared because I accidentally moved on to main mission stuff. Mass Effect 2 took me around the same time, 27 hours or so, I believe.

If some are able to squeeze 40-50 hours out of the game, that's great. I personally don't know how it's possible unless you're literally speaking to every NPC, reading every codex entry, etc. But that's not really how I play games, I appreciate that information is there, but I find myself getting very bored of the game, no matter how great it is, when I dig in that deep. Not to say I just mainlined the entire experience, but 25 hours for an action-RPG is enough for me.

12 hours? Da fuck!? Did you play on easy and skip every sidequest?

I don't know how people are putting up such long playtimes. I did EVERYTHING in 1 and 2, my playtimes are around 18 and 22, respectively. ME3 took me about 30 hours to complete, and I missed a couple sidequests.

if I may throw in a question - is the From Ashes DLC worth the price/is it important to the story/how is the companion?
It's very important and adds a lot to an otherwise lacklustre squad line-up. The DLC member isn't a throwaway character like Zaeed and Kasumi. Bioware really screwed up making him DLC.

Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game, regardless of its flaws. I really hope they dont stop making more games in the universe soon. I want my Garrus film-noir detective game!

Agreed 100%. As enjoyable as my experience way, there was this terrible lingering feeling, especially toward the end, that "this is it". You build such a great bond with so many well-written characters over 3 massive games that it's genuinely saddening to think of this as the end. There are a couple of real gut-wrenching moments in the game where I had to let the dialogue wheel sit there for a couple minutes and really think about what I wanted to do. I've never had that kind of feeling in a game before.

Moaradin

Psh, the real challenge is getting Mordin and Wrex out alive.

Priority Mission: Tuchanka spoilers:
How do you manage that? if you cure the genophage, will Mordin always die? It was a very good ending, although a bit sad. If there was any way to save him though I would.

Kem0sabe

Psh, the real challenge is getting Mordin and Wrex out alive.

Is that even possible?
i thought that one or the other ended up dying. Wrex if you chose to side with the Salarians, Mordrin if you chose to side with the Krogans (actualy sacrifices himself to save the krogans)

Kem0sabe

Agreed 100%. As enjoyable as my experience way, there was this terrible lingering feeling, especially toward the end, that "this is it". You build such a great bond with so many well-written characters over 3 massive games that it's genuinely saddening to think of this as the end. There are a couple of real gut-wrenching moments in the game where I had to let the dialogue wheel sit there for a couple minutes and really think about what I wanted to do. I've never had that kind of feeling in a game before.

I have a feeling that this is it RPG wise with the ME universe for the foreseeable future, that the next iteration will be either a generic mmo or a CoD FPS clone...

So, I'm very early, but will I know if there's a mission or a side mission that won't be available after a certain time or that will end the chances to do all other current side missions?

To wit:

I'm on the moon with Garrus and there's one more "Priority" mission on Eden Prime.

Can I do side quests in between those? Safely after both of those?

Guesong

Is that even possible?
i thought that one or the other ended up dying. Wrex if you chose to side with the Salarians, Mordrin if you chose to side with the Krogans (actualy sacrifices himself to save the krogans)

Precisely what I meant. :p

No idea how things rolls out with Wreav if Wrex died in the first game, though.

So, I'm very early, but will I know if there's a mission or a side mission that won't be available after a certain time or that will end the chances to do all other current side missions?

To wit:

I'm on the moon with Garrus and there's one more "Priority" mission on Eden Prime.

Can I do side quests in between those? Safely after both of those?

The one on Eden Prime you can do anytime, since it's DLC. Priority Missions are story missions though, so always try to clear up all the other possibles quests before advancing just in case you might no longer do them after. That mostly happens to "same planet as Priority Missions" side-missions though, the rest of those offplanet KEEL CERBERUS stuff can generally be done whenever, I believe.

People should seriously just stop before the endgame begins; it's not worth seeing what happens during it.

Yup, well said.

Bioware, you really really really really really really really really had me worried.

But you came through.

This is one of the best games I have ever played, and I have played some of the greatest.

Bravo.

I have more to say, but I have to finish this great piece of digital work first.

Is there seriously no way for me to holster my weapon during combat missions? Why would Bioware remove that in this game? My Shepard looks so goofy running around, both arms outstretched, for a whole mission!

Top Bottom