• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Derrick01

Banned
Bioware should just put Miranda's ass on her face so they don't have to do anymore obvious camera angles. It's seriously embarrassing as a gamer and no one else is even here to see it.

Tacitus_

I read this on a random forum, it makes sense but it could be BS. It comes from someone who worked on the games. The original motivation of the Reaper that was planned out for the trilogy was:
The Reapers in the game now was organics vs synthetics which doesn't make sense because they use the geth and they themselves are basically synthetics.

The ORIGINAL ending was that they were created to stop the spread of dark energy that would eventually tear the universe apart. That's why there so much foreshadowing in ME1 and ME2 about dark energy. The Reapers where nations of people who has become what they were to stop the spread of dark energy.

The original choice for the game was Paragon: Kill the Reapers and hope that the races of the galaxy find a way stop this or Renegade: Sacrifice humanity in hopes that the end justify the means.

I found that to be much better than the motivation in ME3.

That would've actually been an awesome ending.

I've noticed that ME3 is centrally focused on a battle at home (earth), and I'm worried that because of this the main game-play time will revolve around just the planet earth (Only played the demo), and less about the things I loved in the previous games, mainly planet/galaxy exploration.

So I ask you GAF, will I be disappointed?

The time you actually spend on Earth is very, very little. For more somewhat detailed amount of time spoilers:
You start the game off on Earth, you're there for about 15 minutes, this is the demo. And then the end of the game when you start your assault on the Reapers, you're on Earth for about an hour in London.
The rest of the game is spent rounding up other races for this Reaper assault on Earth, that's the basic premise of the game. So yes, you're spending a lot of time on other planets.

stupid_dad

Neo Member
So to get the best experience do I import my ME2 save or roll a new shep!!!

Feels kinda wrong starting on level 30 with loads of points to put into my skill tree

Bioware said that you could get the perfect ending by just playing the singleplayer, but now I'm not so sure.

So what is it? Someone said that you need to have an Effective Military strength of 4000 to get the achievement and the perfect ending, and you can't get above 3500 without raising your readiness, which can only be done via the multiplayer and the iOS game.

Anyone have any clues?

Guesong

Bioware said that you could get the perfect ending by just playing the singleplayer, but now I'm not so sure.

So what is it? Someone said that you need to have an Effective Military strength of 4000 to get the achievement and the perfect ending, and you can't get above 3500 without raising your readiness, which can only be done via the multiplayer and the iOS game.

Anyone have any clues?

You can totally get it by playing singleplayer only.

The EMS bar only has to be full, nothing else matter. And even then I'm not sure if it has to be full, or just above the minimum marker.

Maybe it matters for the "Master and Commander" achievement, but the ending will not change for that.

Patryn

Feels kinda wrong starting on level 30 with loads of points to put into my skill tree

Continue. Continue is always the best choice, because of the carrying over of decisions.

Anyone have any clues?

I have my bar almost 3/4 full, and I'm only 16 hours in. I have played zero multiplayer.

Anyone have any clues?

I'm really curious about this as well. In all my time spent with the game, I never found a way to raise the Theater of War rating above 50%. I didn't MP the entire time I played because I was under the impression you didn't need to, it just helped. But this also kind of boned me out of a couple achievements related to having my Theater of War levels high enough, in addition to my military strength being somewhat low just because I ran out of things to do in the single-player. Maybe I missed something, but if I did, it's because they did not do a very good job explaining that aspect of the game.

Tacitus_

Anyone have any clues?

I had my EMS bar full without playing multi or the ios game. Just do some fetchquests to fill up the bar.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you see more of
Aria
than what i've seen so far on the Citadel? Which is only gathering
mercenary leaders for her
and that's it? She will just sit on her comfortable couch for the rest of the game? She's too cool for just that!

I finished reading the ANN tweets. I think it teaches us all a valuable lesson about tweeting while driving. I can't wait to play more... soonish. Darn responsibilities!

So I'm about 5 hours in. I'm just saying this:

*early game spoilers*
If Shepard is the Catalyst for the Prothean weapon contraption I will instantly quit this game.

I jumped to the same exact conclusion. Just the convenient existence of the
undiscovered super weapon
made me roll my eyes.

If you're invested in your squad or relationships, I would definitely still import. It assumes too many certain characters dead if you start fresh. I lost my Mass Effect 2 save and rolled a new Shep. Nothing too major, except one love interest was unattainable unless you romanced them in 2.
Tali. As hard as I tried, it's not possible. I had to "settle" for Liara, haha.
. Kinda bummed me out.

I had my EMS bar full without playing multi or the ios game. Just do some fetchquests to fill up the bar.

Yeah mine is full too, but I read this on Xbox360Achievements.org (Reliable source, yeah I know):
To make the readiness rating go up you have to complete multiplayer missions. you can have the total military strength high as hell but if it is only 50% ready then your score is cut in half and that final percentage (which will be shown as the effective military strength) is what the game bases your ending/achievement on... for this achievement your final score AFTER the readiness multiplier will have to be 4000.

so basically go through the single player until you are a few missions from completion, and then go to galaxy at war and complete those sections of the galaxy until you read until your readiness multiplier in single player is good enough for a total of 4000 points.
it's very lame that they did it that way but i hope this info helps.

This refers to the war assets you collect throughout the game. I've heard you need a score of at least 3750 to earn this, but I think a safer number would be 4000 since that's the minimum required for the best ending. Though I'm still not sure if this number is in reference to Total Military Strength or Effective Military Strength.

If it's only the achievement that's affected by the readiness, that's okay, but if you need to have EMS up to 4000 to get the perfect ending, that's just sad.

I just ordered the PS3 CE from Amazon. Hopefully the frame rate is tolerable, since i am continuing my female Renegade run on PS3, while my male Paragon is on 360. It is good to hear that the loading on the PS3 version is better than ME2, since there is no install option.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shit.. I wasn't planning on getting this anytime soon, because I lost my ME2 save and didn't want to haven't had time to play it again, but there's a 20% off deal at GMG that is tempting me.
Does the Digital Deluxe edition include the Prothean DLC? Is the Prothean DLC even good?

I wish the DLC sucked so I could have avoided it, but it's really good. The mission itself is pretty arena-like, but the story segments it introduces are well done.

Guesong

If it's only the achievement that's affected by the readiness, that's okay, but if you need to have EMS up to 4000 to get the perfect ending, that's just sad.

As I said, don't fret with it. It's only the achievement that is affected and you will get the intended "perfect" ending regardless if you play singleplayer normally.

Kem0sabe

Regarding the ending...

This might explain the sudden shift in tone from ME1 to ME2, overall i think ME3 is a big improvement so far story wise. Regarding the endings... i like them currently, but admit that the choice presented by delirium would be even more awesome.

Tagg9

I wish the DLC sucked so I could have avoided it, but it's really good. The mission itself is pretty arena-like, but the story segments it introduces are well done.

So glad I got the CE. The Eden Prime mission gives a lot of needed backstory on
the Protheans
and honestly I can't imagine the game without it. Didn't BioWare say that this was created after the game was finished development? Not sure that I buy it, just based on the amount of voice work from secondary characters.

Tacitus_

Well this is what I had:
8ItD7.png

According to the internet, I had the 'best' ending available.

Is there a way to assign a power of my choice to the squad quick ability function (Q and E for PC)? For example, Liara has two offensive powers: Warp and Singularity. Can I just make it so Warp is always her quick ability? It usually defaults to Singularity for me, but I'd prefer it if it was Warp.

Derrick01

Banned
Regarding the ending...

This might explain the sudden shift in tone from ME1 to ME2, overall i think ME3 is a big improvement so far story wise. Regarding the endings... i like them currently, but admit that the choice presented by delirium would be even more awesome.

As I've said from the moment I finished ME2 they should have never moved Drew off of the series and given Mac free reign. The writing in 3 is better but it's still pretty lacking in a lot of areas and I'm not even including the endings which almost everyone seems to think are awful.

Bowdz

Regarding the ending...

It was obvious that the story for ME2 was not part of a well crafted plan for the series. I still stand by the idea that in terms of the main story arc (the Reapers), ME2 is a pointless game. With that being said, I honestly don't know if I would want ME2 any other way simply because the amount of pivotal story material in ME3 is making for an incredible experience. Thus far, ME2 is the weakest link of the trilogy by far IMO, but ME3 is far and away the best.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm all of 3 hours into the game and I hate to ask people to spoiler entire discussions, but seeing a bunch of "the ending sucks, and here's why" - even if there are no specifics - is really kinda taking the wind out of my sails.

Thanks for the answer. Sounds good, count me in. I'll play one playthrough sans save file but then I'm going back to the first and second so I can see how it plays out. Damn you, Green Man Gaming!

Zeth

Spoiled by a YouTube commenter on a video completely unrelated to gaming.

One of the countless reasons to not read YT comments.

Bowdz

I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm all of 3 hours into the game and I hate to ask people to spoiler entire discussions, but seeing a bunch of "the ending sucks, and here's why" - even if there are no specifics - is really kinda taking the wind out of my sails.

Ignore it. I read the leaked spoilers a few months back and honestly, the entire game sounded like garbage. Playing it has completely changed my mind. I'm curious to actually experience how the story ends, but from the spoilers I've read, it sounds like the main people that hate it are die-hards from the Bioware Social Network (no disrespect to anyone from that forum). It's worth noting that the majority of people that were petitioning Bioware and calling foul on the ending had only read impressions about what it was weeks before the game even released.

Tacitus_

Oh the game up till then is quite good. I absolutely loved the main missions on Tuchanka and the missions with the querians not to mention the combat feels pretty good.

So people who finished it without playing mp( to the fullest). Did the ending satisfy, or do I really need to play it online to get a positive ending?

Guesong

So people who finished it without playing mp( to the fullest). Did the ending satisfy, or do I really need to play it online to get a positive ending?

Going online will not change the ending AT ALL. So long as you do sidequests properly and don't rush thru the game with no war asset at all in the end, you'll get the best ending you can obtain.

Trey

Completely proud of myself for resisting the black bars so far. Tuchanka is the midpoint of the game, right?

REV 09

6 hours in, game has been hit and miss so far for me. I haven't done much though. At this point i'm probably liking it less than ME2, but there is still a ton of game left.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm pretty sure I screwed up.

On Tuchanka,
Mordin died. I wanted to keep him alive, but I'm pretty sure I made a wrong choice somewhere. I have a feeling that it was the choice whether to tell them about the sabotage. I choice to wait on the second time it came up.

Was that the reason why it turned out like that?

delirium

I'm pretty sure I screwed up.

On Tuchanka,
Mordin died. I wanted to keep him alive, but I'm pretty sure I made a wrong choice somewhere. I have a feeling that it was the choice whether to tell them about the sabotage. I choice to wait on the second time it came up.

Was that the reason why it turned out like that?

Either Mordin or Wrex/Wreav has to die

Guesong

How do I know which missions are timed?

The missions listed as "Priority" are storyline missions. For safety, always try to do all sidequests (minus the fetch sidequests) on the related planet before going into the main Priority Mission.

There is no "timed" mission per se, like the final ME2 segment if you wanted to save everyone. Take your time, do the sidequests, there's no penalty for it.

Completely proud of myself for resisting the black bars so far. Tuchanka is the midpoint of the game, right?

About 35-40 % I'd say.

Either Mordin or Wrex/Wreav has to die

According to a previous poster,
he saved both. Maybe he misunderstood though, cause I'm pretty sure what you said is correct.

Top Bottom