• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

pakkit

Banned
When does the DLC mission show up? I'm currently working through
the Tuchanka missions
and haven't gotten any intel or updates regarding the DLC. Did it fail to activate or am I sweating over nothing?

Zeliard

What I really liked about the way the DLC character is presented is that he
conflicts with the typical romanticism associated with historic perception of cultures. The Protheans, via their lore and study, particularly by Liara, are seen as an ancient, wondrous species. Yet in the flesh, you're forced to deal with the personalised version of each create as an individual. It's no different to how some people romanticise lost cultures (samurai, azteks, etc) with awe and mysticism, yet the reality would be some much more human. Hell, you see it with modern cultures: Westerns romanticising Buddism and such. Yet meet a Buddist and you're taken back down to reality.

I like that he was kinda like that. A more 'real' version of the Protheans, and not the history and myth as seen through study and theory.

Well said.

One of the best parts about it is seeing
Liara becoming disillusioned over time
. She has fun back-and-forths with him on the ship and if you check her terminal, she puts down notes about it, like this:

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect32012-03-089gz2c.png

(early'ish From Ashes-related spoiler pic)

It's good stuff.

Dresden

the Tuchanka missions
and haven't gotten any intel or updates regarding the DLC. Did it fail to activate or am I sweating over nothing?

It should show up right after you leave the Citadel for the first time, it'll be labeled as a mission to
Eden Prime.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
the Tuchanka missions

You already got an email about it when you first got on the Normandy. The actual mission isn't titled From Ashes in the log, it'll be something about going to
Eden Prime

Derrick01

Banned
the Tuchanka missions

It should have unlocked when you first had access to the galaxy map. It's listed as (DLC spoiler)
an Eden Prime mission in your journal

Mifune said:
You bastards are gonna make me buy From Ashes, aren't you? Damn it.

Unfortunately it's a pretty important piece of the ME lore. I hate supporting it because of the scummy way Bioware handled this, but it's absolutely essential to the overall lore.

Zeliard

Regarding story length, this game took me about 25 hours on Normal. That's with all side-stories accomplished, minus 1 or 2 that disappeared because I accidentally moved on to main mission stuff. Mass Effect 2 took me around the same time, 27 hours or so, I believe.

If some are able to squeeze 40-50 hours out of the game, that's great. I personally don't know how it's possible unless you're literally speaking to every NPC, reading every codex entry, etc. But that's not really how I play games, I appreciate that information is there, but I find myself getting very bored of the game, no matter how great it is, when I dig in that deep. Not to say I just mainlined the entire experience, but 25 hours for an action-RPG is enough for me.

People never seem to take difficulty into account. If you're playing on Insanity your playthrough will be much longer because the battles are much longer. Normal practically plays itself.

And why not talk to NPCs? You have these little mini-stories that NPCs have on the Citadel if you eavesdrop. If you keep going back, their stories progress, like the Asari in the medical ward who hates humans, and the soldier about to have his leg chopped off, etc. All of this stuff adds to the overall experience.

REV 09

You bastards are gonna make me buy From Ashes, aren't you? Damn it.

well, the character is great and the backstory was nice...the missions itself is just ok though. Since the game lacks new characters, the DLC is a must buy imo. That character and another new character are the highlights of the game for me so far. Still pissed about all the non returning ME2 characters.

Violet_0

Banned
okay, one more question - what role do the Rachni play in ME3? I wonder if I should edit my save file to bring back the Rachni Queen.

Dany

Banned
If you keep going back, their stories progress, like the Asari in the medical ward who hates humans, and the soldier about to have his leg chopped off, etc. All of this stuff adds to the overall experience.

Old woman and Embassy clerk is my favorite on the citadel.

Papercuts

People never seem to take difficulty into account. If you're playing on Insanity your playthrough will be much longer because the battles are much longer. Normal practically plays itself.

And why not talk to NPCs? You have these little mini-stories that NPCs have on the Citadel if you eavesdrop. If you keep going back, their stories progress, like the Asari in the medical ward who hates humans, and the soldier about to have his leg chopped off, etc. All of this stuff adds to the overall experience.

Yup. IIRC I'm around 12 hours and I didn't start the Tuchanka missions yet, the Citadel and Normandy have so much to see and do.

Woorloog

Banned
No guns are effective against shields without disrupter ammo.
Dammit.

SMGs.

That said the one you start with sucks and isn't going to do much good. Either take someone with Overload or get used to warp-throw detonations to rip off shields.

SMGs suck. The N7 CE SMG is too heavy and ridiculously inaccruate. Poweful but i cannot hit anything with it. Frankly the Shuriken seems to be better though low ROF is an issue.

Don't tell me there is no other way to detonate Warp than Throw? Because my build (at the moment) is Pull-Warp-Singularity and passives. No others as i cannot stand using the power wheel, not to mention having issues with my controllers sticks which causes me to exit cover sometimes when using the power wheel...
Besides, it is a fun and interesting style.
I guess i could sacrifice a point for Throw...

iavi

How does the romancing work in this one? Im a good few hours in, and it seems as if the game is pushing for my shep to rekindle with Ashley, and the ME2 choice is nowhere to be seen?

Papercuts

Dammit.

SMGs suck. The N7 CE SMG is too heavy and ridiculously inaccruate. Poweful but i cannot hit anything with it. Frankly the Shuriken seems to be better though low ROF is an issue.

Don't tell me there is no other way to detonate Warp than Throw? Because my build (at the moment) is Pull-Warp-Singularity and passives. No others as i cannot stand using the power wheel, not to mention having issues with my controllers sticks which causes me to exit cover sometimes when using the power wheel...

I atleast know Shockwave detonates warp as well.

Dresden

Dammit.

You get a Tempest later on which is much better.

There's no point in getting both Pull and Singularity. Singularity does what Pull does, but better, and they have basically the same recharge speed. Throw hits hard, recharges extremely fast, and once upgraded to do bonus damage on detonations is the perfect trigger for biotic explosions.

And any instant-damage biotic (throw, warp, shockwave, slam) will detonate something with a status effect slapped on them (warp, singularity, pull, stasis).

exYle

I'm not really sure if this counts as a spoiler, so I'll leave it untagged for now. If people complain, I'll cover it up.

I just stumbled upon Vega and Garrus just chilling on the crew deck. They were just ribbin' into each other, comparing war stories and having a real bro moment. It was amazing to witness. I'm glad to see Bioware made the crew interact.

Also, I see Garrus in various spots around the Normandy. More so than just about any other squadmate. It's a very pleasant surprise every time.

Zeliard

I like the Cryo Blast + Overload (or another damaging biotic) combo. Explodes 'em and transfers the ice to another enemy.

Cryo ammo is great as Vanguard, more than fire. Not only is it super effective, but freezing a floating, slow-mo enemy who's been pulled and watching as he shatters into a thousand pieces is just fun.

Nova is good. The Charge -> Nova combo is pretty beastly.

Shockwave's range is pathetic without upgrading to improve its range early on, so I recommend that.

I like the Cryo Blast + Overload (or another damaging biotic) combo. Explodes 'em and transfers the ice to another enemy.

Cryo ammo is great as Vanguard, more than fire. Not only is it super effective, but freezing a floating, slow-mo enemy who's been pulled and watching as he shatters into a thousand pieces is just fun.

... D: D: D:

f0rk

I preordered off amazon today because it was cheaper than Origin, and they still don't have any details about the bullshit day 1 DLC for the UK anywhere yet. wtf

Woorloog

Banned
You get a Tempest later on which is much better.

There's no point in getting both Pull and Singularity. Singularity does what Pull does, but better, and they have basically the same recharge speed. Throw hits hard, recharges extremely fast, and once upgraded to do bonus damage on detonations is the perfect trigger for biotic explosions.

And any instant-damage biotic (throw, warp, shockwave, slam) will detonate something with a status effect slapped on them (warp, singularity, pull, stasis).

Based on the demo, the Tempest is shit. How? It sound effect is so damn lame (and otherwise too). I guess i'll stick with AR only then.

Singularity doesn't bring targets closer one at time unlike Pull, i'd rather keep my distance... It is great for blocking routes though and for holding down multiple enemies i cannot deal at the same time. Not optimal, as you note but i grew sick of Throw during one ME2 playthrough as a Sentinel, shooting Throws everywhere... happened to be super effective since i played on normal i think. Besides, the Throw still isn't like it was in ME1.. ah, well, no biotic is.

Might replace either Singularity or Pull with Slam though, if Slam still works like in ME2.

Deadly

I want to romance
Miranda but I haven't encountered her yet. I'm at the Citadel now visiting Ashley and she's asking me about it. Does this fuckup my chances with Miranda if I try to do both?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
okay, one more question - what role do the Rachni play in ME3? I wonder if I should edit my save file to bring back the Rachni Queen.

I eliminated them, but hey how convenient you find *another* rachni queen willing to join you in 3. So far 2 of the major decisions I've made in prior games have been overwritten by the lazy shit writing in 3.

Violet_0

Banned
I eliminated them, but hey how convenient you find *another* rachni queen willing to join you in 3. So far 2 of the major decisions I've made in prior games have been overwritten by the lazy shit writing in 3.

alright, it seems that I can just jump straight into the game then, thanks :p

- J - D -

... D: D: D:

If you play generally offensively and like to rush into battle, then putting all your points in Charge + Nova is a good idea. Only risk is that Nova depletes your shields (though this can be alleviated somewhat with point allocations), so if you leave some stragglers in proximity, you run a risk of quick death.

I really like Shockwave though. ME3 kinda neutered this power compared to the awesomeness that was ME2's Shockwave, so I suggest putting a few points into it at least just to improve the range.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If BioWare do another Mass Effect (or any game for that matter) with a one-button-does-all wonder they can take the game, shove it up their arse and fuck right off. The more they want to improve their shooting and encounters to feel like a top class third person shooter, the more obvious it becomes how goddamn, unbelievably stupid it is to control the game this way.

So so far I've
encountered Jack and Kasumi but they do not go back to the Normandy correct? I can't find them if they do.
Just want to make sure.

ShaneB

Vanguard chat always makes me happy. I love it! Charge -> Nova, so excellent. By the time Nova is complete, my charge cooldown is back and I'm zipping all over the place again. And shields recharging after charge makes me happy.

iavi

I want to romance
Miranda but I haven't encountered her yet. I'm at the Citadel now visiting Ashley and she's asking me about it. Does this fuckup my chances with Miranda if I try to do both?

Haha, I was just asking the same question. As far as the encounter there went, I chose 'I don't know'. It doesn't seem to have ended things, but delayed them.

Mindlog

Does this mean that there is a lot of disc-swapping in-game?
I swapped discs a few times in the first few hours. I haven't swapped in a very long time since. The system worked for me.

My incomplete comprehensive™ Mass Effect 3 review. Pig in shit.

*How long everyone play before they realized the different squad appearances had different bonuses associated with them? I went a very long time.

Marco1

I swapped discs a few times in the first few hours. I haven't swapped in a very long time since. The system worked for me.

My incomplete comprehensive™ Mass Effect 3 review. Pig in shit.

Why couldn't they have done what they did with ME2 FFS!

Every single ground combat mission forces me to change discs. Every. single. one.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

If side missions are to be all jumbled up on the two discs, the mission screen should list what disc each is on so you can clear them from disc 1 before going on to disc 2.

If BioWare do another Mass Effect (or any game for that matter) with a one-button-does-all wonder they can take the game, shove it up their arse and fuck right off. The more they want to improve their shooting and encounters to feel like a top class third person shooter, the more obvious it becomes how goddamn, unbelievably stupid it is to control the game this way.

Yeah, what the hell happened to hacking, decrypting... all the non-combat stuff?

Zeliard

so many options!

I think Charge -> Nova is the best option if you just like clearing things out, though. Stuff like Pull works fine with just one or two points assigned to it.

Charge ---> Nova ---- Charge is just sick. I didn't play the demo so when people were talking about that, I was thinking "well how does that work, exactly?"

Well it works because Nova is on a total different cooldown - your shield. I've got my Charge recharging every like 3.3 seconds now and I can just destroy people with that combination. By the time I've charged in and smashed people with Nova, Charge is again available for a delicious rinse-repeat.

Nova is the most perfect ability they could have added to Vanguard, because it's so brilliantly risk-reward, especially if you combine it with Charge. Since it saps your shield completely (without later upgrades), you're left even more vulnerable, so you really have to time it correctly and use it at the right times. On Insanity bullets cut you down in 2 seconds (especially those fucking turrets, jeez).

And I have Pull that recharges like every 1.2 seconds now. So fun to curve Pull shots and squeeze enemies out of their cover. Pull is 20x more useful now on Insanity than it was in ME2 since not only does it recharge so incredibly quickly (once it's out of your hands the next one is available), but so many enemies only have a red health bar. You can basically keep one in the air indefinitely until your teammates cut him down - the duration upgrade isn't even necessary.

Oh and lol - combining Pull with Javik's Slam attack is so good. Enemy is just floating there, and suddenly it's like some giant hand grabs him, yanks his body up, and then just fucking throws him to the ground with hilarious force. Looks so violent and awesome. I never used it in ME2, or a teammate who did. Kinda regret it.

Or another fun combo with Cryo Ammo = Slamming a fool who's frozen and watching as he hits the ground with force and just shatters (if they're weak enough).

Yeah, most of my deaths have come from the stickiness of the cover system. On Insanity you can barely afford to peek your head out for a few seconds, so a non-responsive cover system is gonna lead to some unfortunate deaths there.

Top Bottom