• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Elginer

This damn sidequest at the
academy
is kicking my ass over and over. Sweet fuck these grenade loving bastards.

So Ive done every mission and side quest availablr and my ems is only around 6800. So was Bioware full of shit when they said people didnt need the multiplayer for the best ending.

Btw, everyone with the DLC character ABSOLUTELY MUST take him to
Thessia mission
. So much dialogue.

Moaradin

helppp, can you guys post the values of your female shepard faces? i need good looking girls guys :D . for the lesbian/alien cut-scenes :eek:hhhyeah:

8EmSX.gif

Derrick01

Banned
So Ive done every mission and side quest availablr and my ems is only around 6800. So was Bioware full of shit when they said people didnt need the multiplayer for the best ending.

Btw, everyone with the DLC character ABSOLUTELY MUST take him to
Thessia mission
. So much dialogue.

I don't know I'm still going and I already have around 6550. I mean I've pretty much drained all of my sidequests up to this point but I just grabbed the mission you put in spoilers so I have that, the big side quest I currently have after getting that mission, and whatever's left in the game.

I think when they said you can get max EMS in the single player I don't think they mentioned that your choices affect how much you get too. I'm not sure if they purposely chose not to mention that or if they actually meant you can get max EMS even picking the "worst" choices.

After doing my most recent main story mission (at least mid way mission spoiler)
with the quarians and geth, I managed to get both on my side which greatly increased my EMS since both fleets and ground units were added.
. That alone nabbed me several hundred points and topped off the last 25% of my EMS bar.

The moment I saw this reaction I knew it would get GIFed. I forgot though, what was he reacting to?

And regarding Fortification, what I'm confused about is the fact that the description says it increases your armor. Then it says the armor gets purged (does it mean when the armor is destroyed by taking damage?) it increases your melee damage.

Is my assumption in parenthesis correct?

yeah, I feel it wasn't really intended to get all 8000 EMS points or whatever, to make sure your choices have more impact. I'm personally not touching the mp until after my first playthrough because of that, it sure is possible, but you pretty much need to make every "right" choice in 1, 2, and 3. Or at least it seems that way.

The moment I saw this reaction I knew it would get GIFed. I forgot though, what was he reacting to?

And regarding Fortification, what I'm confused about is the fact that the description says it increases your armor. Then it says the armor gets purged (does it mean when the armor is destroyed by taking damage?) it increases your melee damage.

Fortification stays up forever, and can be manually detonated now (purged), same with Tech Armor, Defense Matrix, and I think Barrier.

Of course, the downside is they now increase your cooldowns when active. Not a fan of the new Tech Armor because of it, but I like Fortification on my soldier because I'm mostly just using frags and guns anyway.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lol at that button i kept pressing on the beginning of Surkesh. This salarian had like a dozen of lines just to tell me to not touch it.
Feces analyzer.

Also DLC character spoiler about that place.

Protheans were eating salarians back then? EW.

CrankyDude

Neo Member
I just noticed something. FemShep has
VPL
when she's wearing her
little black dress
. It looks like she
rocks a thong!

Hot.

Zeliard

You activate then deactivate Fortification to get the 20 sec melee bonus. It's kind of annoying because I don't think there's any visual indication.

Question, when and where can I get the DLC character?

After you get From Ashes you can do it as soon as you have your ship. It was the first mission I did in the game.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Not to get anywhere spoilery, but did you get the best ending? The one that takes the most war assets. I'd like to do as much as possible but it would suck if the best ending isn't the one that you get from being a completionist.

I actually think which ending is the "best" is up to your interpretation (or rather depends on how you played your character). The one BioWare is referring to as the "best" ending is more like "the hardest to unlock" ending.

(Very light spoilers that don't give away the endings)

Long story short, you get a choice between endings. The more War Assets you have, the more choices you get. I had the so-called best ending available, but I decided on one that made more sense for my guy. The one I chose was weird, but not as weird as the "best" ending.

Grisby

I take it you can't really 'save' missions for later right? To eek out all of a character interactions?

Considering they're timed and all.

Minamu

Anyone else playing with Kinect? :) I've stopped using it for opening doors etc because of the input lag but actually saying Shepard's lines myself and barking orders in combat are doing incredible wonders for my immersion so far. The latter really makes me feel like the commander I'm supposed to be.

I take it you can't really 'save' missions for later right? To eek out all of a character interactions?

I honestly have not had the timed mission problem once, not a single sidequest has disappeared for me, and I'd say I'm about halfway in to the game.

:)

Zeliard

I honestly have not had the timed mission problem once, not a single sidequest has disappeared for me, and I'd say I'm about halfway in to the game.

:)

Seems like you can avoid that pretty easily by just wrapping up side quests before doing the next story mission, since doing missions is what triggers the advancement of time.

Guesong

Main quests are never timed.

Sidequests, however, may end up going sour if you wait a really long time to go do them.

GorillaJu

FemSheps animations look terribad in her sex-me dress. The only outfit that matches her animations is the Earth-born Shepard outfit – the country bumpkin rags go well with her "hyuk let's have a hoedown!" jogging animation. I'm a spacer and I'm wearing the default (first costume) since she doesn't look emaciated in it (like the dress) and doesn't have landing pads on her shoulders like the diplomat uniform or the 4th costume (military officer?).

Still I'm glad I chose the new default FemShep, since she actually animates properly for the cutscenes, facially. I think her reaction to the "oxygen joke" is even better than fakeShep.

Seems like you can avoid that pretty easily by just wrapping up side quests before doing the next story mission, since doing missions is what triggers the advancement of time.

yup, sucks for the people who played before release and had no idea what was going on lol

So, decided to bite the bullet and replay the first two so I can carry over a save. I thought I would hate doing this, but every time I go away from ME1 for a while and come back, I'm always yet again mindblown by the sci-fi atmosphere in this game. Does ME3 nail this aspect that I felt ME2 sorely lacked?

I dunno, maybe it's the film grain or something.

Ok, so it's finally out in the UK tomorrow (today).

I was planning a ME1/2 runthrough but I really cannot be bothered to rush through such long games as it'll turn in to a chore.

I played ME2 at launch, and as such really remember nothing - will jumping in to ME3 be fine?

Obviously it'd be better to have that imported Shephard and the choices, but I want this - and not sure if I can sit through two fairly long RPGs (however good) just to start it.

I actually didn't finish 1, but from what I've seen 3 is much more of a direct carry on - what with it being the end of the trilogy.

GorillaJu

So, decided to bite the bullet and replay the first two so I can carry over a save. I thought I would hate doing this, but every time I go away from ME1 for a while and come back, I'm always yet again mindblown by the sci-fi atmosphere in this game. Does ME3 nail this aspect that I felt ME2 sorely lacked?

I dunno, maybe it's the film grain or something.

It's a big improvement on that front over ME2. But it doesn't quite have the same feel as 1. It's too polished to have that cult-classic scifi flick atmosphere.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lol at that button i kept pressing on the beginning of Surkesh. This salarian had like a dozen of lines just to tell me to not touch it.
Feces analyzer.

Also DLC character spoiler about that place.

Protheans were eating salarians back then? EW.

Well, he mentions right after you get them about "salarians evolved? they just to just be lizards". And then he offended Liara the way he said they eat flies.

Fortification stays up forever, and can be manually detonated now (purged), same with Tech Armor, Defense Matrix, and I think Barrier.

Of course, the downside is they now increase your cooldowns when active. Not a fan of the new Tech Armor because of it, but I like Fortification on my soldier because I'm mostly just using frags and guns anyway.

Hmm. I wonder if Fortification would be good for my Vanguard melee/charge spec. I'm experimenting with the build, I chose the charge ability that has the 25% chance of not triggering the cooldown, along with the fitness upgrade that increases melee damage by 25% and increases recharge speed of Charge by 200% after an enemy is killed by melee. That on top of Nova, means I'm bouncing around doing melee damage like Goku. I'm wondering if Fortification's power speed reduction would ruin the flow of my combat...

Also, does anyone here think the N7 Crusader (collector's edition shotgun) is worth it when compared to the Katana? The damage on the Crusader is actually worse, but the accuracy is extremely improved (but I'm going to be firing the shotgun from close range anyway...) The big problem is the weight is basically doubled. Not sure if I should be upgrading the Crusader or the Katana :/

Hmm. I wonder if Fortification would be good for my Vanguard melee/charge spec. I'm experimenting with the build, I chose the charge ability that has the 25% chance of not triggering the cooldown, along with the fitness upgrade that increases melee damage by 25% and increases recharge speed of Charge by 200% after an enemy is killed by melee. That on top of Nova, means I'm bouncing around doing melee damage like Goku. I'm wondering if Fortification's power speed reduction would ruin the flow of my combat...

Also, does anyone here think the N7 Crusader (collector's edition shotgun) is worth it when compared to the Katana? The damage on the Crusader is actually worse, but the accuracy is extremely improved (but I'm going to be firing the shotgun from close range anyway...) The big problem is the weight is basically doubled. Not sure if I should be upgrading the Crusader or the Katana :/

Upgrade the Katana for sure, as a Vanguard you don't need accuracy (like you said), the Crusader weighs more, and the Katana does more damage.

But it doesn't matter too much, you'll have plenty of credits to upgrade whatever, and you get much better shotguns over the course of the game.

rozay

Banned
I really like the scimitar over the katana especially with the vanguard damage bonus. You get it pretty early on.

Just got the eviscerator but I haven't tried it out ye

Is the N7 pistol good or should I stick with the predator?

megalowho

Lol at James and DLC character's conversation on the Normandy in the kitchen area. He's much more fleshed out than Zaeed or Kasumi in ME2, has a lot to contribute around the crew and on missions. Also enjoyed seeing his reaction to the Citadel. Doesn't seem like it should be optional, but I'm sure it's fine without as well.

GorillaJu

Buy the Wraith from the spectre terminal. I'm using it and one-shotting everything except Atlas mechs pretty much. Those big harvesters go down in 1 combo for me: 2 wraith hits (1 out of stealth), incinerate from squad mate and sticky grenade from me and it's only level 5. Has 29 ammo capacity (will be even more when I upgrade it more), which is too much considering how much ammo drops in this game.

Still loving it, but I hate making decisions that I know might cause me to miss out on some content :(

And what sidequests don't work right if you wait too long?

rozay

Banned
Lol at James and DLC character's conversation on the Normandy in the kitchen area. He's much more fleshed out than Zaeed or Kasumi in ME2, has a lot to contribute around the crew and on missions. Also enjoyed seeing his reaction to the Citadel. Doesn't seem like it should be optional, but I'm sure it's fine without as well.

I'm playing the game without him or the CE DLC. I figure it'll give me a better idea of whether or not this was a dick move by bioware.

Rocwell

Can someone please outline the differences between importing a save file versus not in ME3 or point me in the right direction to find out?

Zeliard

I really don't understand how scanning works. I haven't hit a goddamn thing yet.

Just go around and hit the scan button in the vicinity of planets and such, and if you get a hit you'll know. A sound will ring out and the location will be circled in red. Then just go to that planet, scan and follow the white indicator, which takes like 2 seconds, and you get whatever item is there.

If you scan too much in Reaper-infested areas, they're gonna come a'rumblin', complete with War of the Worlds sound effect. If you wanna be cheap, when they come you can just let them get you and then reload, since it auto-saves wherever you are on the galaxy map. I don't do that though, it's weaksauce. :p

If they're alerted and you escape, you have to finish a mission before you can come back to that solar system.

I really like the scimitar over the katana especially with the vanguard damage bonus. You get it pretty early on.

Just got the eviscerator but I haven't tried it out ye

Is the N7 pistol good or should I stick with the predator?

While I haven't experimented enough with both, the raw stats has the Katana having more damage than the Scimitar and everything else is not noticeably different. What is it about the Scimitar do you prefer?

Also, regarding a pretty early Citadel part:
I helped Kasumi out, and I could have sworn that I convinced her to join the Normandy but she's not in my squad selection or on the ship from what I've seen. Did I actually just get her help for the Crucible or something, and not as an actual squad mate?

GorillaJu

Still loving it, but I hate making decisions that I know might cause me to miss out on some content :(

And what sidequests don't work right if you wait too long?

If the cluster or nebula it's available in is doable now, chances are its going to disappear at the next major story mission.

My modus operandi is to pick up quests, go do all the side quests that are ground or combat-based and scour the areas for datapads, relics, etc that can finish the quests. If they aren't all finished, I run over the planets one more time that I haven't 100%ed. If they're still not finished, it's likely to be solvable after the next story mission. I seem to have everything covered so far. My EMS bar is about 60% full and I just finished the Priority:Citidel mission.

It's a big improvement on that front over ME2. But it doesn't quite have the same feel as 1. It's too polished to have that cult-classic scifi flick atmosphere.

Don't suppose I could have asked for a better answer short of "it's even better!" because that wasn't going to happen. Sounds good though.

Good to know, I'm not very far in the main story and I don't think I've seen any side quests disappear, I was worried all the e-mails telling me to go meet them at the citadel would disappear

Top Bottom