• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Well, I liked the DA2 ending, but I know why most didn't.

It's primarily worse because it tries to both be the end of Shepard's trilogy, while at the same time providing an absolute, definitive lead-in to Mass Effect 4. The ending is also blatantly re-written and derailed from the original idea (this has been confirmed as well).

Do you got a link to this? would love to see Bioware confirming the derail of their own concept.

gotta love when people here suddenly are story experts on everything.

GorillaJu

Do you got a link to this? would love to see Bioware confirming the derail of their own concept.

gotta love when people here suddenly are story experts on everything.

The original director for this scenario parted ways with Bioware. His plans have been scrapped for some time. It wasn't changed midway through ME3's development.

The more I am playing, the more I am hating my infiltrator class. I have enjoyed that class in the first and second game but something just seems to be off in this latest installment. I do not know if this is because of the somewhat restricted environments, or that I am missing a power or two, but it does not have this 'oomph' feeling I always previously had. I am seriously considering starting over as an Adept. What is the general consensus on that class? Are the powers still nerfed like they were in Mass Effect 2 or can you actually kill people fast enough without having to wait until their barrier/armor and/or shield depletes?
Play a vanguard on Insanity, always bring Liara, charge everything while blowing up everything with biotic explosions. Feel like a guddamn Krogan.

Play Vanguards like this:

lx7CR.jpg

GorillaJu

I thought it was the way faces are animated, but it appears that it's just default FemShep that seems to permanently have her eyes glued wide open.

Managed to make a custom FemShep that's actually legitimately good looking this time. Now my space-whore actually looks her role.

Zeliard

Snagged Vega's Carnage recently and I've been enjoying Pulling enemies and obliterating them in midair with a homing missile.

masseffect32012-03-11zrft2.png

masseffect32012-03-11msfuo.png

masseffect32012-03-11e94tz.png

When their health is low enough it rains giblets. Or if they're frozen, ice cubes.

Riposte

Hmmm, quests keep bugging on me. Didn't get the chance to complete the Kasumi quest because of it. Bummed.

The giant monitors in the Presidium hallways look awesome.

I really like Kai Leng. He should have been a potential squad member and Cerberus should have been potential allies.

EDIT: I find it hilarious and a bit comforting that this game doesn't mention the fourth book at all, even though it had quite a few chances to. Poor Gillian.

Zeliard

Hmmm, quests keep bugging on me. Didn't get the chance to complete the Kasumi quest because of it. Bummed.

The giant monitors in the Presidium hallways look awesome.

I really like Kai Leng. He should have been a potential squad member and Cerberus should have been potential allies.

BUT...

but...

(spoiler pic)

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect32012-03-103zxog.png

That
motherfucker killed Thane. THANE. I mean Thane was already dying but still. Fuck Kai Leng's bitch ass.

Snagged Vega's Carnage recently and I've been enjoying Pulling enemies and obliterating them in midair with a homing missile.

When their health is low enough it rains giblets. Or if they're frozen, ice cubes.
Are you playing on PC? If so, how do you take screenshots? I couldnt find it. :(

Zeliard

The way I see it,
it gave him one last moment of glory. Proved himself to be the best assassin in the galaxy.

He got killed by another assassin, though. :p It was very well-done, especially his final scene with his son.

Are you playing on PC? If so, how do you take screenshots? I couldnt find it. :(

Yep PC. Just use Fraps as mentioned earlier. It's free and excellent. You can also use it to check your framerate (and record videos).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Question about the end, I think.
I'm about to attack the cerberus HQ, is this the point of no return? Or can I go and do more side quests after this mission?

Also, I have about 6,200 points in galactic readiness or whatever it's called. Will this be enough for the best possible ending? Read somewhere that i needed 8k but I've also heard 6k.

Cheech

It sucks, but I think you can edit a new save (picking which options you chose) on the PC, and import it onto the 360. It takes a couple of programs, none of which I can remember off the top of my head.

What I had to do to rescue my 360 save is fire up ME2 and replay the ending. Weird, but it worked.

Words cannot describe how bad Vega is. I would take an entire squad consisting of Carth, Alistar and Kaiden before I would take his super dudebro with extra bro sauce ass into battle. I'm glad that fucker is way out of the way so that I never, ever have to go visit him for any reason. I pray that there is an option to have him sacrifice himself.
This. I'd rather make friends with Cerberus again and use their Lazarus Project tech to resurrect Kaiden than ever have Jaime Vega in my squad.

Zeliard

What's a good bonus power for Vanguard?

This just reminded me that Kaidan
is the only asshole with Reave and I told him to fuck off when he asked to join the Normandy. Damn.
(mid-game spoilers)

I'm using Carnage right now as Vanguard, for kicks. Slam is also good fun - especially combined with Cryo Ammo and Pull - if you're not going around with Javik who already has it and recharges pretty quickly. When I was with Javik, it was all about Pulls and Slams on Cerberus fools. It's such a hilariously violent combo, especially if you get some height on those Pulls.

I'd just pick which ever is most enjoyable, an offensive power. Vanguard is already pretty beastly as-is, and the defensive powers tend to sap your recharge rate, which isn't always ideal.

evanft

An ammo skill. You dont need anything else, because if you can fire a bonus power you can also charge.

I already have cryo ammo maxed out. I love using it, so I don't think I'm going to go with anything else.

This just reminded me that Kaidan
is the only asshole with Reave and I told him to fuck off when he asked to join the Normandy. Damn.
(mid-game spoilers)

I'm using Carnage right now as Vanguard, for kicks. Slam is also good fun - especially combined with Cryo Ammo and Pull - if you're not going around with Javik who already has it and recharges pretty quickly. When I was with Javik, it was all about Pulls and Slams on Cerberus fools. It's such a hilariously violent combo, especially if you get some height on those Pulls.

I'd just pick which ever is most enjoyable, an offensive power. Vanguard is already pretty beastly as-is, and the defensive powers tend to sap your recharge rate, which isn't always ideal.

I was thinking carnage, slam, or warp. I'd like a good offensive power that can hit enemies from far away.

I already have cryo ammo maxed out. I love using it, so I don't think I'm going to go with anything else.

I was thinking carnage, slam, or warp. I'd like a good offensive power that can hit enemies from far away.

If you have the DLC character Dark something is good because the effect spreads after the target dies allowing for lots of detonations.

Hmmm...just encountered my first decision that I am second guessing on.

The rachnii queen in the cave....I let it live. Grunt survived, but his team didn't.

I might be so wrapped up in recruiting resources that I am making poor long term decisions.

I saved right before it all went down, so I might go back and reverse that decision. After all, it counters the decision I had made in the previous games.

Also...
Does the reporter you let on your ship become a pain in the ass? Should I kick her ass out? I caught her doing "opinion" pieces that were counter-intuitive to the war effort. I let her on because of her assets, but not sure now.

Zeliard

Carnage is solid because it does splash damage and also does decent damage against armor. But Carnage is more effective if you had gone with Incendiary Ammo since it combines with it to create a fireball explosion. Slam is one to go for if you want goofy fun, and it also works well with Cryo Ammo and can create biotic explosions. If you mostly just want to blow stuff up, Warp works since it both sets up and ignites biotic bombs.

If you have the DLC character Dark something is good because the effect spreads after the target dies allowing for lots of detonations.

I haven't gotten that bonus power yet. :< It's definitely quite useful.

Jintor

ahaha holy shit, pre-final mission

Walked in on Garrus with a paramour. Died laughing. The one time in the entire game I've felt entirely comfortable with the 'Shepard goes through idle animations while NPCs emote at them' style of delivery

mujun

Huge ME fan.

15 hours in and really hooked.

I am digging the writing (dialog), the way the 3rd episode is playing out as a part of the series, majority of missions, new Citadel, weapon/skill/equipment options and the game as a whole.

Neutral on the plot that is full of holes as good as parts of Mass Effect are it's always been an average space opera/summer blockbuster movie in terms of the overall plot and logic of the story.

Not digging the combat scenarios and their design and lack of ammo.

No way I'm playing this on Insanity like I did with ME2. That game had really good combat scenario design. A lot of the fights stick in my mind clearly to this day and I particularly remember doing the fight on the moving hexagons against the collectors about 50 times on Insanity. I started this on hardcore but dropped down to normal. There are too many situations where you start with your back to the way with too many enemies coming in from too many directions and relentlessly flushing you out with grenades. I'm sure these spots are "doable" but even on hardcore I wasn't having the fun with the challenge I did with the second game. It straight up feels like bad design. Pity because I was really looking forward to challenging myself, something I'm not normally prone to do.

ironcreed

Banned
Aaaaand roll credits! At 5:45 in the morning. I've been playing non-stop since 8pm. Absolutely ridiculous; the first game to do that to me since Halo 2. Actually, one of only about five games, period, that I've wanted to play for more than about three hours straight.

Abso-fucking-lutely phenomenal. I have to eat crow; because while I'm a mild fan of the series, it's never been one of my favorites. And when the reviews hit for this one, I made fun of the hyperbolic BS and expected this to be another really good game that was far from worthy of the hype it got. Nope. I was wrong. This game is incredible.

Anyway... off to the spoiler thread!

Gives me hope that all the bitching about the end may just be yet another case of good old internet exaggeration. I know it has only gotten progressively better for me as the game moves along.

Wow does this game pick up the pace at the end of the first act. I think
Tuchanka is my favorite mission of all the Mass Effects. The Genophage was always my favorite side plot. It's amazing to the think of the possibilities of how everything could turn out. What the hell happens if Mordin, Wrex, and Grunt are all dead at the beginning of ME3? It's also amazing how Mordins loyalty quest ends up being so pivotal to this story arc. A+ stuff here. Mordin died saving the Krogans. He was my favorite character, alas, this is a sad but fitting end for him.

Man, EDI is totally hilarious. Not only she can be sarcastic and snide, she also pulls some of the darkest joke with straight face.

"Jokes have a delineated structure. This is known as 'messing with you'."

Just one mission with her and I think she might be my favorite crew member ever. Although Varik is fucking rad so far.

<3

pmj

The ending truly is awful.

Overall not at all a bad game, but the many long and overly scripted sequences will probably hold me back from playing this again for a while.

Also the easiest game in the series. Good thing too, because I don't care much for the combat, and similar encounters in ME2 would have had me pull my hair out.

bitoriginal

No way I'm playing this on Insanity like I did with ME2. That game had really good combat scenario design. A lot of the fights stick in my mind clearly to this day and I particularly remember doing the fight on the moving hexagons against the collectors about 50 times on Insanity. I started this on hardcore but dropped down to normal. There are too many situations where you start with your back to the way with too many enemies coming in from too many directions and relentlessly flushing you out with grenades. I'm sure these spots are "doable" but even on hardcore I wasn't having the fun with the challenge I did with the second game. It straight up feels like bad design. Pity because I was really looking forward to challenging myself, something I'm not normally prone to do.

Just to let you know I'm playing on Insanity for my first playthrough and I've not come across any situations that seem impossible or have angered me due to bad design. Everything feels achievable, but yeah, the grenade spam is almost on par with COD World at War on Veteran. I'm quite enjoying the challenge though.

The ending truly is awful.

Overall not at all a bad game, but the many long and overly scripted sequences will probably hold me back from playing this again for a while.

Also the easiest game in the series. Good thing too, because I don't care much for the combat, and similar encounters in ME2 would have had me pull my hair out.

I've found it surprisingly hard and grueling even on normal. Especially those Cerberus turret duders.

I finished the game on Insanity and the game was hard, but never really unfairly hard. Well, except perhaps Grissom Academy, that was probably the hardest part. Its no Dark Souls. :lol

I probably died like a 100 times during my playthrough, but i felt it was 90% of the time my own fault, while the other 10% i got stuck behind the environment or went to cover when i wanted to do something else.

bitoriginal

I finished the game on Insanity and the game was hard, but never really unfairly hard. Well, except perhaps Grissom Academy, that was probably the hardest part. Its no Dark Souls. :lol.

Thank fuck I've already done Grisson Academy. Cerberus Engineers are the most annoying enemies so far. Stop putting down new fucking turrets!

pmj

I've found it surprisingly hard and grueling even on normal. Especially those Cerberus turret duders.

I played on insanity and had little trouble, but I was an adept and I could explode something every 2 seconds. Most enemies don't have any extra protection so they explode really well. Turrets can kill you extremely quickly, but adepts can just spam some biotics from safety.

I also started out at level 30 as I imported a character. That probably helped.

I'm only about halfway, but I already can't wait to start another epic ME 1 - 3 runthrough. I haven't touched the first two games since I first played them, so it's going to be nice to see how the whole thing ties together. I must admit, I've come across a few characters in 3 I just don't remember.

Always played pretty paragon so I'll probably go a bit renegade this time around, maybe romance a few different ladies, pick different guys for my squads. Sweet.

FStop7

Banned
So far it's not been bad. But not great, either. I'm surprised at the lack of new music. I've heard a lot of tracks from the previous games, though. I really have no complaint about that because I love that music, but considering Bioware went to the effort of hiring Cliff Mansell to do the soundtrack I thought there would be a lot of new material.

Somehow I lost my flawless ME2 save, which was an import of my ME1 save with all of those decisions. I'm pretty irked about that. I kind of want to stop playing ME3 for now and go back and run through ME1 and ME2 again in order to recreate that save, but that's going to take forever. I can't just speed run through them because I spent a lot of time on side quests and would want to follow the same path.

So far it's not been bad. But not great, either. I'm surprised at the lack of new music. I've heard a lot of tracks from the previous games, though. I really have no complaint about that because I love that music, but considering Bioware went to the effort of hiring Cliff Mansell to do the soundtrack I thought there would be a lot of new material.

Somehow I lost my flawless ME2 save, which was an import of my ME1 save with all of those decisions. I'm pretty irked about that. I kind of want to stop playing ME3 for now and go back and run through ME1 and ME2 again in order to recreate that save, but that's going to take forever. I can't just speed run through them because I spent a lot of time on side quests and would want to follow the same path.
Just download a savegame if you play on the PC or 360.

Top Bottom