• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

bengraven

A page back you guys were talking about how bad Vega is. I gotta say he's not as revolting as I imagined. I fucking hate Freddie Prinze Jr. and also juicehead guido types. I don't take vega with me because I can't stand his face (kind of nice to have a huge jacked character on my team though).

That said, I actually like talking to him. Douche Jr. did a pretty good job with the VA and his back and forth with "Esteban" is really entertaining and adds a lot to both characters.

Though my first reaction was "Oh shit, there's two Mexicans in the basement...my racist stepdad would NOT approve".

Oh well, so long
Tali. I never liked the quarians anyway. No way was I going to order the death of the Geth. The quarians had it coming the stubborn bastards.

;(

Anyway, the geth fleet is now my second strongest war asset. I wonder how strong it would've been if I destroyed the heretics in ME2.

I'm going to try really hard to do both, but if I'm forced to choose than I'll go with my old squadmate.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly a bit torn.

Not done yet but the way basically every single important person in the galaxy can easily live/die I have no fucking idea how they could make another game without jumping to the past or far future.

It's my favorite universe in any fiction outside of game of thrones so it would be a shame to abandon the universe/lore just because player choices have such a huge impact.

Also this game makes it clear why noone else but bioware pulls off the import your save for story idea.

Some of the most well done sections will never be seen unless you are downright evil but they put just as much into them if not more. (MASSIVE krogan/geth/citadel spoilers)
Honestly think shooting mordin/wrex trying to kill you/Tali committing suicide/Killing Ashley Williams
Missed all of that in my play through but even watching them on youtube Daaaaaaamn

Riposte

I found a spot in one of the (N7 or w/e) missions where enemies would spawn indefinitely. It was like a monster closet without the closet. Was fun with my head-shotting shotgun.

Arjen

Wish i started on Insanity, Hardcore is a walk in the park with Infiltrator and the N7 Sniper, time delay mod, cloak, and i can kill 3 dudes before they even fire at you, rinse and repeat.

I like Vega except when he calls me "loco". *roll eyes*

I usually take him and Garrus with me on missions. I like having my own personal sniper with me.

Wish i started on Insanity, Hardcore is a walk in the park with Infiltrator and the N7 Sniper, time delay mod, cloak, and i can kill 3 dudes before they even fire at you, rinse and repeat.
Just change the difficulty? I guess you wont get the achievement for not changing it, but who cares.

Emwitus

My first time playing mass effect and man, the character movement is horrible and the general camera movement is giving me horrible nausea. What the heck? I thought only FPs could do that.

EDIT: Story is engaging though and i really think an Uncharted style control scheme would do this game wonders. Sadly i don't think i'll be able to play it long enough since its making me sick. Might have to catch clips on youtube cause i love sci fi.

EDIT 2: And do all the enemies just strafe creepily to one side all the time? LOL

MedIC86

question about game length:

i got to the part were the citadel is under attack by cerberus, how much game do i have left?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Play a vanguard on Insanity, always bring Liara, charge everything while blowing up everything with biotic explosions. Feel like a guddamn Krogan.

Play Vanguards like this:

So Vanguard being one of the more annoying classes in ME2 to go through on Insanity, mostly due to the last fight has now become one of most badass on Insanity, lol.
Does this technique work all the way through the game?

Dany

Banned
question about game length:

i got to the part were the citadel is under attack by cerberus, how much game do i have left?

A little over half, the side missions start dwindling after next priority.

Speaking of missions, what are some of your guy's favorite missions or set pieces? Mine has to be Thessia, that is what Earth was missing, the despair, desperation and the total loss of hope. Such a great mission, top to bottom, music was awesome, loved it.

My favorite moment from it has to be
After fem shep is defeated by KL and she runs after his gun ship, and she knows she just lost all hope of saving humanity; she gets a call from a commando thats trapped. Even though this is the lowest and the worst lost for Shepard, she HAS to push through and go on to the next thing, only for a reaper ship to stomp on them. Soooo goood.
Also, if you can, bring Javik along.

Guesong

lastplayed said:
Oh well, so long
Tali. I never liked the quarians anyway. No way was I going to order the death of the Geth. The quarians had it coming the stubborn bastards.

;(

Anyway, the geth fleet is now my second strongest war asset. I wonder how strong it would've been if I destroyed the heretics in ME2.

Can I re-iterate that
it amazes me how many of you guys apparantly can't save both races. It's not hard to do, just do the sidequests before and done the Tali Loyalty Mission properly back in ME2. Destroying the Heretics back in ME2 also helps your score for that decision, but it's not a necessity.

Saves you from witnessing one of the worst scenes in the series.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The game is great, i dont know what kind of ending this game has that are stopping some people from replaying it. I love ME3 so much right now that no matter what kind of ending they do, it wont stop me from playing my other Shepards, its ridiculous. Unless they did some kind of "This was all a dream that you had since you lost consciousness back from the Eden Prime's Prothean beacon!!!"

I'm only at the part after the
Citadel invasion from Cerberus
, so still plenty of main quests and sidequests to do.

MedIC86

in the war map, it says effective millitairy strength and normal millitairy strength (shown in a gray bar?) does it work like when you get more galactic readiness that your effective strength becomes higher?

Say if i have 100% readiness is the whole grey bar green ?

bengraven

I like Vega except when he calls me "loco". *roll eyes*

I usually take him and Garrus with me on missions. I like having my own personal sniper with me.

Yeah, Prinze is so damn American that playing a Hispanic character with only momentary lapses of actual accent is awkward. Reminds me of that Jimmy Smits SNL skit from like 20 years ago.

"Hello, would you like a taaaaacoooo?
"No, really, it's okay..."
"How about a burrrrrrrrrito?"

Dany

Banned
in the war map, it says effective millitairy strength and normal millitairy strength (shown in a gray bar?) does it work like when you get more galactic readiness that your effective strength becomes higher?

Say if i have 100% readiness is the whole grey bar green ?

If the green bar is full than you are good for the 'perfect' ending from the sounds of it. The grey bar beyond the green bar is how much readiness you could have if you did the 'galaxy at war' stuff.

Man, is the Hanar Embassy quest at the Citadel bugged for anyone else? I gather I'm meant to look for a terminal in the embassy to continue the quest, the terminal even appears listed on my map, yet there's no red circle to click on the terminal. Frustrating. Also, if I ever try and travel from the embassy to the refugee docking area, the game crashes :/

Tess3ract

Banned
It's the best way. Fraps takes lossless bmps. Then just upload them to something that won't compress the shit out of your pics, like abload.de, and you're good to go.

Don't upload bmps.

Save as pngs with fraps, then convert to 95% jpgs via something like paint.net, then upload to abload.de

MedIC86

Man, is the Hanar Embassy quest at the Citadel bugged for anyone else? I gather I'm meant to look for a terminal in the embassy to continue the quest, the terminal even appears listed on my map, yet there's no red circle to click on the terminal. Frustrating. Also, if I ever try and travel from the embassy to the refugee docking area, the game crashes :/

From what i have been reading its bugged for almost everyone.

Zomba13

I've put in around 30 hours so far and have enjoyed pretty much every minute of it. Only thing I still don't like is all the running around the ship to talk to people/running around the citadel for quests. It's fine the first time but I like to be thorough and check in with the squad after every mission.

I think I'm near the end now. I was pretty much told that if I go on this mission shit will go down and it seemed like a point of no return. My Galacic Readiness is at 80% and I've played a bit of the multiplayer and uploaded intel from the iOS game and done every sidequest I've found and scanned every system I can get to. I though Bioware said you'd be able to get 100% readiness without ever touching the multiplayer/other stuff?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Eh, I remember GAF hating on ME2 ending too and I loved that ending. So I still have high hopes for the ME3 ending.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm in the same boat. ME2's ending was short but I enjoyed it.
It's just that I've only played the game for 13 hours and I really want it to pick up! Come ooooon, Tali where are you :_: Liara just isn't holding up!

Derrick01

Banned
Eh, I remember GAF hating on ME2 ending too and I loved that ending. So I still have high hopes for the ME3 ending.

Most of my problem with ME2's ending was the final boss, not necessarily the event.

All I can say is I can't wait until most of you finish and join us in the spoiler thread lol

Zomba13

Also, I have to say how fucking awesome and amazing it is seeing all your choices from the past pay off. Not going to spoil anything but I'm so glad I played the past games the way I did. I really do want to play the whole series again and make different choices in 1 and 2 and see how the galaxy changes. I can imagine shit getting pretty grim.

Yoshichan

All I can say is I can't wait until most of you finish and join us in the spoiler thread lol
:( Hopefully you won't be seeing me there.

Jintor

If there's anything Mass Effect 3 succeeds at immensely it's at really fulfilling the meaning of being the Third in a series. This is where the chickens come back to roost, where everything you've done comes back to pat you on the back and say "You did alright, kid". I took my Shepard through three goddamn games and because of the shit that I did the universe is gonna be saved my way. That's what I thought while playing through it. I enjoyed the journey. I did not enjoy the destination.

bigace33

Dude, take it from someone who loves ME2's ending, this is not even in the same ballpark. I'm trying to think of another game with a worse ending than ME3 right now. This is one time where the internet haters were right.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If there's anything Mass Effect 3 succeeds at immensely it's at really fulfilling the meaning of being the Third in a series. This is where the chickens come back to roost, where everything you've done comes back to pat you on the back and say "You did alright, kid". I took my Shepard through three goddamn games and because of the shit that I did the universe is gonna be saved my way. That's what I thought while playing through it. I enjoyed the journey. I did not enjoy the destination.

Have to agree with you here.

Wrex is a perfect example, took his/Krogan side in every decision in the previous games. Really felt like that faith in the Krogan paid off in spades in both story and the War assets. So many places for that situation to go sideways.

Jintor

Have to agree with you here.

Wrex is a perfect example, took his/Krogan side in every decision in the previous games. Really felt like that faith in the Krogan paid off in spades in both story and the War assets. So many places for that situation to go sideways.

It's very daring of Bioware to lock you out of certain solutions based on your story-choices in past games, but I feel that it's a necessary thing to maintain that feeling. Sucks to be entrants at ME3 though, I hear the default choices are completely balls.

The OTHER problem though is that I feel the 'payoff' for a lot of the choices, especially the more minor ones, are shunted into your "Galactic Readiness" bar which is basically just a glorified "You'll get a good ending if you get a high enough number" bar. The little bit of text you get is readable and somewhat entertaining... but not by much.

bigace33

"bububub the ending can't be that bad, I'm having a great time right now!"

ahuahuhua, people really have no idea.
I'm probably the biggest ME fan on the East Coast and I hate the ending so bad, that had I bought a physical copy of the game instead of a digital copy, I would promptly have traded it in today or sold it on craigslist. It'll be months before I touch this game again. Such an amazing ride only to be kicked in the head by such a horrible end game.

Zomba13

It's like we're Shepard trying to warn them about the Reapers and Saren and they're the council in ME1.

They'll realise they should have listened in the end!

Maybe this is exactly what Bioware wanted? People(shepard) who have seen the ending (reapers) warning us (the council) that haven't seen the ending. We're in denial right now. Now I understand how the Council felt.

Ah yes, the "ending".

>.< lol just beat.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
All this talk of the ending has me really worried. I kinda wish people would just shut the fuck up about it or take it to the spoiler threads. It's kind of sucky playing through what is maybe one of the most fun games I've ever played only to always have this niggling doubt at the back of my mind that none of it is really worth it.

Well done internet!

Jintor

All this talk of the ending has me really worried. I kinda wish people would just shut the fuck up about it or take it to the spoiler threads. It's kind of sucky playing through what is maybe one of the most fun games I've ever played only to always have this niggling doubt at the back of my mind that none of it is really worth it.

Well done internet!

Hey, the journey's still awesome.

bigace33

Well done internet!
lol I felt the same way while I was playing. I'm sure there are people in this world who will actually enjoy this ending (I honestly couldn't fathom it) you might just be one of them. Enjoy the game because it really was an amazing experience.

Tess3ract

Banned
So I finished the game a few days ago and I've been milling about it in my head. I tend to be a critical person and expect the best out of people and products and have no qualms about ripping something or someone that is shit a new one for good reason. If you are shit, you are shit and I'll explain why you're shit. Deal with it.

I went into this game expecting it to be an enormous turd after SWTOR and DA2 being bad games with high production values, and I can safely say that hasn't changed.

Things I liked:
- Production values. It felt very "Hollywood" in terms of cinematic direction and actual content. Think "Michael Bay meets the new Star Trek movie".
- All the minigames were removed. They were fun a few times, but I got sick of them for every item.
- Scanning minigame was stripped down to the bear essentials. Fuck that stupid game.
- Combat felt better, but it's still as clunky as ever.
- Controls feel a bit better, but they're still janky including things like sticking to the chest high walls set up everywhere and pulling away from them or rolling to another one.
- Modding guns? Finally, I loved that feature. Too bad it took two games to re-implement a feature they already had.
- No Heavy weapons. This is also a negative.
- Conversations were improved but you also felt like you were playing a visual novel instead of playing a typical Bioware game where you can choose conversation options.
- Graphics were hit or miss, typically having a really unacceptable level of texture quality for a PC game on everything but faces. Lots of stuff like garrus' armor looked great, if he was not close up. I can see it looking good on consoles being farther away, but whenever he got close I saw how pixellated it was and it was pretty gross. Overall it felt pretty cinematic.
- Music design was also very cinematic, but suffers from feeling samey as a whole.
- Story was alright, how relations between characters and the fact they actually moved around the ship and interacted with each other was a major plus. Especially interactions during cutscenes.
- Progression was severely improved from ME2, instead of feeling like episodic garbage where you played dr.phil with everyone, you now feel like you're making progress as time goes on. Parts of the citadel changes as you complete priority missions.
- I liked that there was lots of tie in with the books and the dlc. This is also a negative because it's tons of content that's never mentioned either to anyone new.

Things I hated:
- How many fucking terrible shallow Hollywood tropes they had, along with the Michael Bay-esque directing.
- They still included code that SLOWED DOWN your mouse cursor while scanning. What? Why? FUCK YOU
- No exploration whatsoever. Rarely any actual multiple approaches to the levels unlike the Arrival DLC. Come on, hallways are fucking no effort and boring.
- ONE BUTTON DOES EVERYTHING STILL
- No real conversation choices, or lack of choices.
- ENDING
- Too many guns with no real major difference between them that was important other than ammo and dps and whichever gun you liked the looks of.
- Only two mod slots per gun, some of the mods I never used (such as weight reducer)
- some mods increased the dps of a gun barely, others increased the dps by a LOT. It wasn't really equivalent.
- Skills were still kind of lacking, but the choices you got made it a little better
- No summary screen to show overall stat totals for guns or intel
- The pc version was plagued with Baby's First UI. Typical UI behaviors didn't work, felt clunky, etc
- Javik is on the disk (at least for PC he definitely is), yet you still have to pay money for him or preorder. Sleazy.
- Sound for guns is pretty weak sounding.
- Soundtrack has a few standout tracks but most are flooded with the Inception horn and sound like everything else. Symptom of the "Hollywood" music effect, sounds good but it's not really recognizable for most tracks.
- Male Shepards still don't get cool haircuts
- Diana Allers
- Different writers for companions make them feel out of character, rather than maturing or evolving.
- Preorder items are all on the disk and can be enabled by editing an ini. Bioware won't even give them to you normally.
- Multiplayer. This shouldn't exist in Mass Effect and the resources spent should have been spent on the story instead. Additionally I don't play ME for the combat in particular because it's clunky as shit, so why would I want to play a clunky MP game? No thanks.
- Can't holster, though never was a problem for me. Apparently it was because consoles don't have enough ram for all the new things they added. Thanks lowest common denominators.
- FOV is WAY too tight. it's an FOV of 70, when it should really be an fov of 85-95 for PC users (who tend to sit closer to a screen and need a higher fov compared to console users who sit way back and need a shallow fov)
- Citadel should have been setup like the Presidium commons for all of the sections. Please go back to ME1 sized levels at the minimum please.
- The omni tool blade, lol Halo anyone? Fuck that bullshit.
- Felt a lot like crysis 2 and halo towards the beginning and end in terms of the typical Space Marine military that has become trite and tiresome instead of trying to actually work on being a Space Oprah like it should be.
- too short. 28 hours to do literally everything and take my sweet time? And get that ending? ugh no.
- Some bugs of some characters never showed up such as Conrad or Kasumi.

So basically even with all my complaints and enjoyment, I still don't think it's that great and has soured me replaying it especially since that's how the game/series ends.

If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 7.5/10 (5 means average).

By the same metric, I'd rate it ME1 > ME3 > ME2 of the 8/10, 7.5/10 and 5/10 variety respectively.

Top Bottom