• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Nert

Member
You're seeking entertainment in the wrong industry. I enjoy games for what they are, I'm not looking for Nietzsche-level existentialism and philosophy in my games.

You can have smarter, less cliched dialogue and cleverer scenarios without something becoming "Nietzsche-level existentialism and philosophy." I love the Mass Effect universe and have no problem with the conceit of getting the civilized races to work together against a common enemy, but the execution can be sloppy and insipid at times. One example that comes to mind is the barrage of "all politicians are scum" one liners; I guess everyone that ever joins the military must hate diplomacy (even in the context of picking the Renegade options, it can be a little much). There are also a lot of cliched remember what you are fighting for types of lines.

Having said that, I'm loving the game so far. I really appreciate the increased degree of interaction among the crew members, as it makes the Normandy feel much more alive. This game is definitely funnier than the previous two entries as well. I more or less instantly forget about any flaws the game has when I find out that I have new codex entries to read.

Dresden

Member
You're seeking entertainment in the wrong industry. I enjoy games for what they are, I'm not looking for Nietzsche-level existentialism and philosophy in my games.

lulz neetsche

We're not asking for DEEP IDEAS, we're just asking for something competent.

Is there any way to get PS3 Mass Effect 2 save files for import?

My original file that I platinum'd got deleted when I changed PS3's a while back so I did a very quick run through to import for Mass Effect 3 so I wouldnt be stuck with the default decisions.

For my next run through I'd like to change some things up.

Edit: There is no reason why they shouldn't have some sort of intro mechanic where you can opt to make prior decisions. The comic in the PS3 worked well despite being tedious.

LukeSmith

Member
Played Mass Effect 1/2 as an Adept, messing around with Vanguard on my imported character - I changed the class post-import.

Not really liking Vanguard yet (only finished tutorial/i.e. just arrived on Citadel).

What am I missing?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Played Mass Effect 1/2 as an Adept, messing around with Vanguard on my imported character - I changed the class post-import.

Not really liking Vanguard yet (only finished tutorial/i.e. just arrived on Citadel).

What am I missing?

The class opens up a lot when you get to more open areas, I'm guessing you're a decently high level with the import. Focus it on charge and nova at the start, if your weapons aren't too heavy you can charge and keep regaining your shield while staying in the enemies face.

thetechkid

Member
I'm hoping for at least one scene where the characters are playing cards in Kasumi's old room. Preferably with Garrus telling old war stories.

Zen

Banned
Is is possible to end your relationship with a previous lover in the game after you've said to them 'I want to continue the relationship?' because I'm with Liara, or at least I said i was, but there have been a lot of weird things such as
my character saying she needs Kaiden
and such. The reason I ask is because I haven't gotten a single cutscene conversation with Liara (aside from the Citadel) since I said I still wanted a relationship, and I'm getting nervous that something got flagged wrong.

Well I got a fairly good ending without much EMS at all. Did a couple of MP matches, some side quests... I dunno what all the fuss is about.

Guise! They weren't kidding about the ending! Srsly!

Advice that contains a minor spoiler to save you from the shitty ending:
After the last time you encounter the Illusive Man on the Citadel, turn the game off, and make up your own conclusion. Seriously, you don't want to know what Bioware put at the end. The explanation, everything about what happens is so beyond stoopid I can't even express it. Save yourself. Whatever you make up will be way cooler than what is really there.

exYle

Member
lulz neetsche

We're not asking for DEEP IDEAS, we're just asking for something competent.

The problem here is is that Bioware has to deal with the added stress of pandering to a fanbase that is not only very vocal, but will also explode at the slightest mishap at ANY of the elements in their games, including gameplay or graphics. You can see that in a lot of ME3, pre-endgame.

Let's quit with the "we can't all be Shakespeare" bullshit, shall we?

When gamers start putting equal emphasis on good storytelling as well as good graphics and gameplay, maybe this argument will fade. But until then, the path of least resistance for devs is to give precedence to the gameplay and level designers and then force the writers to string a plot together from the rest of the dev team. It's a problem with the industry.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Man, that
Geth Consensus
mission was such a wasted opportunity, especially with that environment. I would have liked to
fight Reaper-data or a boss alongside Legion but instead you just shoot at glowing blocks with an infinite ammo laser and walk to the end
. I'm guessing I'm not the first person to complain about this.
I personally loved that bit, it was
more like Tron than the movie sequel
.

DTKT

Member
The problem here is is that Bioware has to deal with the added stress of pandering to a fanbase that is not only very vocal, but will also explode at the slightest mishap at ANY of the elements in their games, including gameplay or graphics. You can see that in a lot of ME3, pre-endgame.

When gamers start putting equal emphasis on good storytelling as well as good graphics and gameplay, maybe this argument will fade. But until then, the path of least resistance for devs is to give precedence to the gameplay and level designers and then force the writers to string a plot together from the rest of the dev team. It's a problem with the industry.

That's not the problem. The problem is that they made a bad piece of content. If the ending had been good, this entire weekend would have been totally different.

Nemesis_

Member
For those asking about MORINTH and whether she shows up in Mass Effect 3.......

I was interested to see if the mission on the monastery played out any differently.

If Morinth was spared and Samara killed, then when Shepard returns to the Normandy after visiting the Council for the first time after leaving Earth, Morinth will send Shepard the following e-mail:

From: Morinth
Subject: A belated Goodbye

Hello, Shepard:

Glad to hear you're alive after that attack on Earth--not that I'm surprised. I'd apologize for slipping off the Normandy without saying goodbye, but we both know the Alliance wouldn't take too kindly to my presence there. I probably needed to stretch my legs in a new city, anyway. Since you're back with the Alliance, it's probably best not to tell you which one.

I'm still grateful you took a chance on me. Take care of yourself. I'd hate to hear you were killed before we get the chance to meet up again.

When Shepard and Morinth do meet up again, Morinth appears during the assault on Earth as a Banshee, an Ardat-Yakshi that has been re-purposed by the Reapers. In combat Morinth behaves like any other Banshee, without special properties not available to other Banshees, and must be killed the same way.

exYle

Member
That's not the problem. The problem is that they made a bad piece of content. If the ending had been good, this entire weekend would have been totally different.

That's related to what I was trying to say. Bioware has to navigate a minefield of pandering to their fans, and when they wrote an ending that tried to be ballsy, they fucked up badly.

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
Greetings! I'm quite new to all this, so I come to you for some advice.

I live in Japan, and have a Japanese Playstation account. I got this game on import and I believe it is the "Asian" version.

My question is would I have to create a new account to activate the online pass? I'm guessing the answer is yes. If so, is this easy to do?

Mad_Ban

Member
Well that was a weird Origin experience...

I'd had two copies of the game on pre-order and I asked for a refund from Origin on the 4th. Time came and went with no reply and I played it merrily on my PC and finished it.

Now today I get an email confirming a refund and ME3 is grayed out on my Origin list, with £55 being given back to me...

Thanks EA? At least I have one copy now...

Does anyone else feel like the game manages the mix of combat and chit chat really badly? It's almost as if there are 2 seperate games here, the chit chat and the combat bits.

Don't get me wrong, the story missions are excellently designed... for a shooter, but outside of that there's so little combat it feels like long segments of talking followed by long segments of shooting.

Also very unhappy with many side missions being relegated to scanning missions.

So I looked up how to get my favorite character on my squad and
Jack isn't a squadmate? NONE of the ME2 characters are Squadmates? The fuck is this bullshit? I saved everyone! I don't like a single one of the Mass Effect 1 squadmates, and you're telling me that I have to deal with their dumb asses? What kind of sequel just ignores the previous game?:/ ME1 characters universally suck balls compared to Mordin and Jack and Kelly and Legion. Even Thane and Zaeed are cooler.

derFeef

Member
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if anyone wants to edit their war assets to ensure they get the best ending possible WITHOUT ever touching MP, here's a guide (PC versions obviously):

Download Save Editor Here

The war assets are pure singleplayer achievements, you can get a full bar without ever touching MP. The Multiplayer just put's a multiplier on the War Assets so you can skip a few sidequests if you want.

GlamFM

Banned
14 hrs in.

Still having a great time, still missing the old mining.

So far I haven´t found a random planet I could land on - are there any?

Lots of disc swapping ( 360 obviously )

Riposte

Member
Hahaha, oh man. The Vega and Javik conversation is so great. Javik seems so pleased with himself with his masterful manipulation. The Legion and Garrus one over intercom was good too.

EDIT: Also I just walked onto my bed, into space, and jumped down a floor landing near Joker.

I'm about 4 hours into the game and I must say, im quite impressed.

Meeting Wrex, Garrus, and Jack was very entertaining to watch. Especially when they try to recall past adventures and compliment one another. Jack can't swear in front of her students, oh lawdy!!

There was this mission where you get to meet the Rachni Queen you freed back in Noveria and was enslaved by the Reapers. You had the choice to either free her or kill her. I chose to free her at the cost of Grunt abandoning his troops.
And when Shepard and his team were almost out of the cave, Grunt decided to stay behind to buy enough time for Shepard and his team to safely get out of the cave while he try to distract the reaperized rachni's.

Dramatic music plays, Grunt goes berserk and charges at the reaperized rachni's, at that moment I thought we was really gonna die. And he suddenly comes out of the cave covered in blood asking for food LOL.

I was quite literally
2AqCg.gif
, it was 4:30 in the morning [/spoiler]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Question regarding very final Quarian/Geth stuff;
I finished that story arc (which was excellent) and allied the Quarians and Geth on Rannoch (Legion :(). Tali took off her mask, but the fade to black and camera angle prevented me from seeing her face. I heard she does show her face though. Was this supposed to happen here?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Question regarding very final Quarian/Geth stuff;
I finished that story arc (which was excellent) and allied the Quarians and Geth on Rannoch (Legion :(). Tali took off her mask, but the fade to black and camera angle prevented me from seeing her face. I heard she does show her face though. Was this supposed to happen here?

While I didn't get to see it; I believe it's after the credits with certain endings.

jediyoshi

Member
Question regarding very final Quarian/Geth stuff;
I finished that story arc (which was excellent) and allied the Quarians and Geth on Rannoch (Legion :(). Tali took off her mask, but the fade to black and camera angle prevented me from seeing her face. I heard she does show her face though. Was this supposed to happen here?
It's in Shep's cabin if you've romanced her after the mission

Question regarding very final Quarian/Geth stuff;
I finished that story arc (which was excellent) and allied the Quarians and Geth on Rannoch (Legion :(). Tali took off her mask, but the fade to black and camera angle prevented me from seeing her face. I heard she does show her face though. Was this supposed to happen here?

TALI'S FACE SPOILERS BELOW

You can get a picture of her. It's fail as hell though. Bioware literally stole an image off the Internet and photoshopped it. SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE IMAGE UNLESS YOU WANT ENDING SPOILERS! Proof:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Big_list_of_copy.jpg

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/hammasa-royalty-free-image/123488108

Lol Bioware...

Duki

Banned
THIS IS BULLSHIT. I've now tried doing this twice and I still don't get the paragon/renegade options. my reputation bar is maxed out. I did all of the required side quests in ME2 and in ME3. I am actually getting angry over a videogame right now.

did you also do the
geth server room thing or did you just run off to the reaper base like a dick? pretty sure you need to do the server thing too

Oh mama. The sheer willpower of going to a lecture when you have sweet, sweet Mass Effect 3.

MassEffect2+paragon+interrupt.jpg

I should go :(

Just finished Turian Moon, which was absolutely beautiful. Running around in my KoA armour <3 Kind of annoyed all your armour from ME2 doesn't automatically import, I thought it had failed to do so when I opened up my armour locker to find nothing.

Eusis

Member
For those asking about MORINTH and whether she shows up in Mass Effect 3.......

I was interested to see if the mission on the monastery played out any differently.
I'd been hoping that
she would've replaced her mother in the monastery mission, coming to save her sisters. Guess that was too much to hope for, though perhaps she was too much of a sociopath to care what happened to them.

Kem0sabe

Member
Any hope Bioware will pull off a "Fallout 3" with Mass Effect 3 and retcon the ending?

There seems to be some traction on this "change the ending" movement thats doing the rounds, and it would be a perfect excuse for bioware to cave in without loosing face.

Kem0sabe

Member
Is post-game DLC really a retcon, though?

When you finish the game, you are apparently brought back to the Normandy at a point before the point of no return to the final mission on earth, with a message from bioware that there are more DLC to come.

I don´t think there will be any post ending DLC that will move the story forward, just a bunch of n7 missions with corresponding mp missions that just end up moving the story sideways. :(

With Fallout 3, your character met an inevitable end, which was later changed to allow DLC that would move the story to a more "optimal conclusion". Is that possible with ME3? I doubt it.

With all that goes down leading to the end of the game, and seing how it ends, i don´t think ill replay this or get any DLC for it, Bioware has made sure that ME died, for me,
along with Shep.

this is fucking annoying

I'm like 4 hrs into the game and I've swaped discs like 5 times already. wtf? ME2 didn't have this mess and it was 2 discs as well.

Najaf

Member
If i tell one of my past romances (from ME1 or 2) that I am still interested, does this lock me out of future romance options in ME3? I am caught between wanting to see new content and being expected to make this call so early in the game. Any spoiler free feedback would be appreciated.

I'd been hoping that
she would've replaced her mother in the monastery mission, coming to save her sisters. Guess that was too much to hope for, though perhaps she was too much of a sociopath to care what happened to them.
Oh, she shows up in the game,
on Earth, as a banshee
. :lol

this is fucking annoying

I'm like 4 hrs into the game and I've swaped discs like 5 times already. wtf? ME2 didn't have this mess and it was 2 discs as well.

Seriously. What the heck are you guys doing different then me?

I only had to swap to Disc 2 after the Palaven mission and that was 4 hours in. After that one disc swap I can do
Sur'Kesk, Tuchanka and The Citadel mission
and a whole bunch of side quests. I did not even need to switch again after the 30 hour mark.

this is fucking annoying

I'm like 4 hrs into the game and I've swaped discs like 5 times already. wtf? ME2 didn't have this mess and it was 2 discs as well.

Yeah, it's pretty horrid, especially since I have the CE steelbook, which holds the discs in so tight, I feel like I have to damn near break the discs to get them out. If there was a way to transfer 360 saves to PC, and if the PC version had controller support, I would have switched so hard, but I was deeply invested in this series on 360 and its awful load times and disc swaps.

WJD

Member
I have the horrible feeling I just went round collecting things for nothing...

I went scouting planets for assets to bring back to a fair few people on the citadel but just ran into the citadel being attacked by Cerberus. Does this mean I lose the opportunity to get these things back to those people? (in return for War Assets I imagine)

I'm going to be pretty pissed if not.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Not sure what I did differently.
I only switched twice. Once about 5 hours in and once more towards the end game. As far as I'm aware I completed all side missions also.

I have the horrible feeling I just went round collecting things for nothing...

I went scouting planets for assets to bring back to a fair few people on the citadel but just ran into the citadel being attacked by Cerberus. Does this mean I lose the opportunity to get these things back to those people? (in return for War Assets I imagine)

I'm going to be pretty pissed if not.
You'll be fine. Still have plenty of opportunity to deal with that stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Seriously. What the heck are you guys doing different then me?

I only had to swap to Disc 2 after the Palaven mission and that was 4 hours in. After that one disc swap I can do
Sur'Kesk, Tuchanka and The Citadel mission
and a whole bunch of side quests. I did not even need to switch again after the 30 hour mark.

It depends on the mission you choose. You might have been choosing missions in a row that were all on the same disc. Since we don't know which are which, it is just a guess right now.

Top Bottom