• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Kem0sabe

You only need to do it to get the bonus scene, not the best ending. You can get the best ending through just the SP alone. Getting the little bonus is not really worth the trouble, just youtube it if your not going to touch the MP or work your ass off.

I actually resorted to the god awful horde mode to get the bonus scene. One thing about that little scene...
shep survives, if go red at the end.
Thats huge for the series no?

I think that for a lot of people, having the possibility to achieve that is fundamental, and having that tied to a MP component is bad form from bioware.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I went in with all alive characters so I'm not sure of the specifics, but apparently in most cases they are just replaced with carbon copies with less dialogue. I know that Wrex is replaced with Wreav, which makes sense, and I think that's an okay replacement since at least there's history with Wreav (even though Wrex is far superior :p).

Not sure with people like Mordin, Garrus, etc. As far as the particular scene you're talking about, I assume the events are roughly identical. Instead of
Mordin being the one to cure the genophage, I assume it's just another Salarian scientist.

On that same topic,
I'm curious how the Miranda level would go if she were dead. Can't really see how it would make sense with some random fill in character. With her dad and sister..

Carbonox

I am |-| this close to buying a 360. I seriously feel like a one-legged man for being a self-proclaimed super fan of this series but not having played the first game. :(

I want to go through from beginning to end, entirely.

Jibbed

I am |-| this close to buying a 360. I seriously feel like a one-legged man for being a self-proclaimed super fan of this series but not having played the first game. :(

The first game is beautiful.. I've played it maybe 5+ times on 360, and even more on PC.

You owe it to yourself to play the first game. ME3 feels so much better after playing the first one.

Having played it 5 years ago, I feel so nostalgic in some scenes in ME3. Damn, good times. I feel so attached to Shepard and company after sticking with them for so long.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I heard the first game on 360 has terrible framerate and texture popping issues, so if you have a decent PC, buy it there instead since its nowhere as bad.

Zeliard

On that same topic,
I'm curious how the Miranda level would go if she were dead. Can't really see how it would make sense with some random fill in character. With her dad and sister..

Yeah, it's odd. There's that and also
Thane.

What happens to him, I wonder. Who
ends up jumping in to fight Kai Leng if Thane is dead in your game? Does that replacement also die in the fight, and if so is there a death scene in the hospital for him? Does the fight basically animate identically, which just another Drell instead? Drells are so rare in the series that it would be a bit strange.

Curious stuff.

Eusis

I heard the first game on 360 has terrible framerate and texture popping issues, so if you have a decent PC, buy it there instead since its nowhere as bad.
On the other hand you have to stick with Origin for the finale if you don't like that, and Bioware DLC NEVER goes on sale on PC. You can install on 360 anyway to minimize the loading/texture issues at least.
Yeah, it's odd. There's that and also
Thane.

What happens to him, I wonder. Who
ends up jumping in to fight Kai Leng if Thane is dead in your game? Does that replacement also die in the fight, and if so is there a death scene in the hospital for him? Does the fight basically animate identically, which just another Drell instead? Drells are so rare in the series that it would be a bit strange.

Curious stuff.
This is one of the better handled ones: there's a replacement from earlier in the series that'll take their place, and if they are also gone... well, they don't BS a way out of the inevitable then.

Sai

Who
Apparently,
Captain Kirahee sacrifices himself to save the Salarian Councilor instead.
If they're both dead, the assassination is successful.

MrBig

The weapon you get from the DLC is ridiculously OP. Had to stop using it and go back to a different AR because that DLC gun ended up being the only thing I bothered using.

I'm also extremely surprised at how well that this game runs on my aged hardware. Though most Unreal Engine games are quite solid.

Carbonox

Does not compute.

I see the fail in it too, don't worry.

After going through the events briefly in Genesis, the game does sound fantastic, especially story-wise.

I'll probably bite at some point during the year as I've been meaning to buy a 360 for a few other titles. As for playing it on PC, my laptop and PC suck for gaming. :\

Zeliard

On the other hand you have to stick with Origin for the finale if you don't like that, and Bioware DLC NEVER goes on sale on PC. You can install on 360 anyway to minimize the loading/texture issues at least.

This is one of the better handled ones: there's a replacement from earlier in the series that'll take their place, and if they are also gone... well, they don't BS a way out of the inevitable then.

Apparently,
Captain Kirahee sacrifices himself to save the Salarian Councilor instead.
If they're both dead, the assassination is successful.

That's pretty clever.

Sai

The weapon you get from the DLC is ridiculously OP. Had to stop using it and go back to a different AR because that DLC gun ended up being the only thing I bothered using.
The N7 Weapons? Or the Argus?

I stuck with the N7 stuff throughout. They weigh so much though, and I kept all of them on me at all times—it was like a handicap. :p

Bisnic

Meh, im not like the rest of GAF who thinks Origin is the devil, so its not an issue for me.

...Well other than that 1 time where Origin stopped working for no reason and ME3 automatically closed at the same time since it NEEDS Origin to even work in single player. At least the game autosaves quite often.

Also, if there is DLC i want, i buy it on the first day its released, so...whatever lol. PC all the way for the glorious 60 FPS.

Massa

Meh, im not like the rest of GAF who thinks Origin is the devil, so its not an issue for me.

...Well other than that 1 time where Origin stopped working for no reason and ME3 automatically closed at the same time since it NEEDS Origin to even work in single player. At least the game autosaves quite often.

Also, if there is DLC i want, i buy it on the first day its released, so...whatever lol. PC all the way for the glorious 60 FPS.

Wait, so you can't play Mass Effect 3 off-line?

Is there any point to play at Insanity in ME1, ME2 and ME3? I want to run all of them as Renegade, and I'm wondering whether just set it to Normal. I finished ME1, ME2, ME3 on Insanity but as different classes, want to try Vanguard now.

Sai

I brought it up when I first started playing the game, but was anybody else with the 360 version experiencing random hang-ups? For me, they usually happened in the middle of conversations, and when loading a prior save.

Music would play, the game and 360 guide would just kind of freeze on me for a short while. I'm wondering if it's the game, or if another 360 is dying on me...

milkham

Has there ever been a interview with that guy who's likeness they used for default shep? I wonder how he feels about the series.

Zeliard

Is there any point to play at Insanity in ME1, ME2 and ME3? I want to run all of them as Renegade, and I'm wondering whether just set it to Normal. I finished ME1, ME2, ME3 on Insanity but as different classes, want to try Vanguard now.

Insanity is more enjoyable in ME3 than before. In ME2 they would slap defenses on pretty much every single enemy, negating many biotics, while in ME3 a large amount of enemies only have a red health bar.

Overall you just feel a lot more powerful, especially if you're playing a certified beast-mode class like Vanguard.

Cheech

How hard is it to boost war readiness in multiplayer? Im thinking that Ill just play until the final mission, pop on MP for a few hours, and then beat the game. Or is there more to it than that?

IMO, it's fun as hell and a much more substantial piece of the game than I'd thought. I'm one of those guys who tanked on Bioware for putting in multi, but guess what. It's actually fun.

I spent roughly 50% of my ME3 time so far in multi. Super addicting. I think what helps it is:

a) Player behavior is excellent (360). I've only had one person drop out after the game started. I'm really only doing Bronze for the most part, and the levels are fairly small, so communication isn't super important. For the most part, nobody talks and I'm ok with that.

b) Matches are short, and average 20-25 minutes. Perfect, CoD bite-sized matches and don't require a huge time commitment.

c) The loot unlocks are deviously addicting. Do I save my monies and go for a Spectre pack, or go for a Vet pack + a bunch of consumables from the beginner packs? Or do I use MS Points and twink my character out instantly into a sweet killing machine?

And, of course, the game itself is a blast. I can see myself playing it after I've finished the campaign, just to get the max N7 level (120?). I have more fun playing this than CoD TDM, so why not?

There are some achievements tied to it. Outside of that, not really.

That said, this is by far the least frustrating and cheap Insanity run of the three. At least so far. (I am 25 hours in.)

Bisnic

Wait, so you can't play Mass Effect 3 off-line?

Well, it only happened once for me so far, but Origin crashed/bugged/whatever and i got a message that sounded like "Origin stopped working. Lost contact to EA servers. Mass Effect 3 will automatically quit." Or something like that.

I dont know if Origin has an offline mode like Steam.

Oohh. Never tried it.

If I remember correctly, it didn't use thermal clips, right? Basically functioned like a weapon from the first Mass Effect? Sounds broken.

Yea no thermal clips. It has a number limit, somewhere around 170 and it depletes the more you keep your trigger finger on. The longer you keep your finger down, the more powerful the beam gets.

Dilly

Banned
About Miranda romance

I finished the Priority: Citadel mission starting the second act, but I didn't get an e-mail?

GSR

I had the weirdest goddamn dream about ME3 last night. I dreamt that I'd finished the game and this was the ending: having saved the galaxy from the Reapers, Shepard and Ashley return to exploring the vasts of space. One day they find a desert-covered planet and land to discover dozens of Protheans still alive. As they approach one, however, a small, adorable, emu-like creature hops up to meet them. Shepard pats it on the head a bit, and then it snarls and jumps at him, brutally murdering him and Ashley off-screen.

Then the camera panned over to Conrad Verner, buried in the sand up to his neck, who opened his eyes and said, "I warned you, Shepard." Then one of the Protheans hit him to shut him up.

I have no idea what ME3's ending is, but I don't think it can possibly live up to my subconscious in terms of sheer what-the-fuckery.

mujun

Just finished the Tuchanka stuff. Wow, this game is rocking hard and I'm addicted. Can't wait to dive in again, just gotta get through another 8 hours of work tomorrow.

Bisnic

Oh, it's worse, believe me.

Jesus and God comes out of nowhere, smite the Reapers and save the galaxy, which turns every species into pure christians and the game ends with all of them holding hands and singing songs about God under a rainbow.

Can't be worse than that.

Lots of (unintentionally) funny lines in this game.
"By the Goddess...
LITERALLY"
"Don't make me an anchor, Steve!" <- made funny purely through repetition
Anytime you get to Ashley's default hey commander message, "This war....such a waste"*click*"HI COMMANDER!!!"

Wow, some really powerful stuff from the voice actors this time.

Liara after
the Thessia mission arguing with Javik was pretty emotional. And Shepard (Meer) getting angry with Joker after joking about it was an excellent performance.

Mohonky

So the confusion about war readiness;

It seems you HAVE to play multiplayer to rank up and increase readiness, is this correct? Because I am really confused by the discussion going on here.

It seems you HAVE to play multiplayer to rank up and increase readiness, is this correct? Because I am really confused by the discussion going on here.

Yes, but you can still get the "perfect" ending without even touching multiplayer. You just need a certain effective military strength by getting war assets and completing sidequests.

Derrick01

Banned
Jesus and God comes out of nowhere, smite the Reapers and save the galaxy, which turns every species into pure christians and the game ends with all of them holding hands and singing songs about God under a rainbow.

That would have been a better ending lol

Correct, the only way to up your Galaxy Readiness is to play MP. The default is 50%, max is 100% essentially doubling the effectiveness of ur military. Bioware has said that you can get the best ending without touching the MP, but it's sounding like you basically have to do nearly every sidequest to hit that magic number. Also ur Galaxy Readiness degrades up 1% per day, back down to 50%. I've only played bronze difficulty which lasts about 15 - 20 mins and if you complete it nets you a jump of 4%.

Speaking of which, I've been pleasantly surprised as to how fun the MP is. I've really enjoyed it so far, quick 20 min session before rocking the SP here and there is a good way to mix things up imo.

Kem0sabe

Yes, but you can still get the "perfect" ending without even touching multiplayer. You just need a certain effective military strength by getting war assets and completing sidequests.

Please do tell how i can get the 10.000 war assets (assuming you dont do mp for the readiness boost) to get
the shep is alive
ending. :)

All the pics i have seen online of players claiming its possible are obviously from edited save games, do to some of the absurd values shown.

Eusis

Is the From Ashes DLC worth it?
If you think $10 for an extra character and their banter is reasonable. Should've been $5 if you ask me, but I could say that about a lot of DLC. Too bad Microsoft seems to have put the foot down and said "No" to charging less than $7 for remotely significant retail DLC.

Ciastek3214

You are surprisingly close

LosDaddie

Banned
If you're interested in the lore, yes. The mission is completely forgettable. The meat of the DLC comes from the dialogue the new character provides while talking to Shepard and interacting with your other squadmates.

OK, thanks. Does the DLC character have any use, kinda like how Zaeed was useful in ME2's final mission?

If you think $10 for an extra character and their banter is reasonable. Should've been $5 if you ask me, but I could say that about a lot of DLC. Too bad Microsoft seems to have put the foot down and said "No" to charging less than $7 for remotely significant retail DLC.

Right, it's all MS' fault. :lol

Top Bottom