• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Seriously. What the heck are you guys doing different then me?

I only had to swap to Disc 2 after the Palaven mission and that was 4 hours in. After that one disc swap I can do
Sur'Kesk, Tuchanka and The Citadel mission
and a whole bunch of side quests. I did not even need to switch again after the 30 hour mark.

Same here.

About 8 or so hours in, and I've had to swap about 3 times.

Although I've done a fair few sidequests already. During the
Female Krogan mission
, I'd already fought a number of mechs and quite a few turrets, which made the cutscenes confusing.

Overall, I'm really happy with it so far. I had relatively low expectations after DA2 and some of Bioware's decisions, so that's probably helped. The combat feels fantastic, I'm playing it on Hardcore and loving it. The MP is pretty good as well.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just beat it a little bit ago. Honestly not as angry about the endings as I thought I would be, I just wanted more closure. An Epilogue or something. Other than that...super great. I honestly didn't realize how emotionally attached I was to these characters,
Garrus in particular. The last talk you have with him about meeting him at the bar?

Manly tears.

Is this a spoiler? I probably should have not gotten on the internet till I finished Mass Effect 3 if I didn't want to spoil even the little things.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wait, now people are saying 2 different things about
Morinth
. Does she show up on
Earth or in the Asari monastery?

Carbonox

Once I finish my first playthrough, I want to start a completely fresh new game without using a prior save. Different class and a Renegade run. If I were to do that, how would the choices in the first two games be decided or is there another comic detailing the first two games like in ME2 PS3?

Eusis

Wait, now people are saying 2 different things about
Morinth
. Does she show up on
Earth or in the Asari monastery?
I only said what I kind of wish would've happened. Unless
you mean Banshee Morinth. Then yeah, I think she just appears on Earth.

jediyoshi

Once I finish my first playthrough, I want to start a completely fresh new game without using a prior save. Different class and a Renegade run. If I were to do that, how would the choices in the first two games be decided or is there another comic detailing the first two games like in ME2 PS3?

Nope, you get the usual choices along with choosing if kaiden/ash or neither survived. Here are the rest of the defaults
http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/qs4e4/if_you_dont_import_a_shep_what_decisions_does_it/

Another Mass Effect game, another disappointment. Basically the entire game feels like one of those non-stop enemy wave arenas from Uncharted, except this game has no environmental traversal, puzzles or stealth to break up the action. I don't need Thief-tier stealth, or Tomb Raider traversal, or Zelda-tier-puzzles, just some extra miscellaneous activities to give me a little break when I'm down on a planet and make me feel like I'm exploring a world.

It bothers me because the first Mass Effect, while also a mess, had some good ideas and gave you things to do to make you feel like you were more than just a contract killer. It wasn't all well executed but I thought they could build on it. I liked some of the side-missions on eerie planetsides and I remember the atmospheric journey through blinding snow and frozen expanses to get up to Peak 15 from the first game. In this game, you
revisit Noveria and there's none of that, no use of the alien environment at all, you're just dropped right into the 23rd facility apparently dedicated to research of chest-high walls.
There's no sense of exploring another planet. Take out the galaxy map and I'd be hard pressed to tell this game is supposed to be set in the vast frontiers of outer space.

I'm just so disappointed with the direction this series took after the first one. And I know this isn't an iconoclastic opinion, but I have to vent it.

Carbonox

Nope, you get the usual choices along with choosing if kaiden/ash or neither survived. Here are the rest of the defaults
http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/qs4e4/if_you_dont_import_a_shep_what_decisions_does_it/

Those defaults outlined in that link...they can't be changed? That's how it is? That fucking sucks. I don't really have an interest in doing ME2 again just so I can get it how I want. :lol They should have given you complete control in ME3 if you don't import. :\

Kem0sabe

Concerning Tali
so you only get a picture of her? You don't actually see her face rendered?

Only
the picture, if you romanced her, nothing more, and you can´t even stare at the pic for how long you might want to, because it´s simply another in game cut scene... guess bioware didn´t want us to notice the badly photoshoped hands :p

jediyoshi

Those defaults outlined in that link...they can't be changed? That's how it is? That fucking sucks. I don't really have an interest in doing ME2 again just so I can get it how I want. :lol They should have given you complete control in ME3 if you don't import. :\

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer. I'm on my second playthrough with a broshep imported from a midgame me2 save. Just went through
grissom without jack
and it changes the tone of the mission entirely. Interesting to play through though since you're still technically seeing unique content as opposed to just flatout missing stuff.

Zeliard

I like Javik's attitude toward Legion.

Heh yeah. After the Geth stuff you get some neat conversations centered on philosophy of A.I., and Javik plays a nice role in that.

EDI and Legion chatting was also amusing. "Your humor heuristic lacks an expert system."

Loving the game so far. Only a few hours in and I only have a few small complaints. I don't like the FOV in this game, this is something that GAF as a whole usually has problems with and adjusts on PC but I never really have issues with it till this game. Also hate the no holster issue but these are both issues that have been beaten to death here. I think the graphics look great and sometimes amazing.

My other main issue is figuring out what to do next, I wish there was a proper quest/mission menu where I can see exactly who or what they want me to do next. To often you have to remember a name someone gives you and where they are and try to find them on your own. I know some would say I just want something to hold my hand but sometimes it is tough to figure out what part of the citadel they want you to go to. Maybe it is just me

jediyoshi

My other main issue is figuring out what to do next, I wish there was a proper quest/mission menu where I can see exactly who or what they want me to do next. To often you have to remember a name someone gives you and where they are and try to find them on your own. I know some would say I just want something to hold my hand but sometimes it is tough to figure out what part of the citadel they want you to go to. Maybe it is just me

There somewhat is in the journal section of the pause menu on the left most tab. It usually does a good enough job of saying Get X from Location then bring to Location. The problem is that they don't list if you already retrieved it so you either have to hunt down the person and see if you can turn something in or invistigate the location to see if you've 100% it.

Zeliard

Speaking of Legion, how does that one Geth mission even happen if he's dead in your game? Does it even exist?

If you've played it, you know the one I'm talking about. spoilers in case:
Geth consensus virtual reality, which Legion guides you through

I assume he isn't replaced with another Geth. That would be kind of strange, for reasons that should be evident. :p

For those asking about MORINTH and whether she shows up in Mass Effect 3.......

I was interested to see if the mission on the monastery played out any differently.

Well that's probably the most lazy bullshit I've encountered so far. They basically turned it into a non decision. Goddamnit Bioware

Sai

Again, I gotta ask: Are there major repercussions for any Paragon decisions you make throughout the trilogy?
Based on what I've seen so far, the Renegade path just seems so... Self-destructive? At least when it comes to the big decisions.

Loving the game so far. Only a few hours in and I only have a few small complaints. I don't like the FOV in this game, this is something that GAF as a whole usually has problems with and adjusts on PC but I never really have issues with it till this game. Also hate the no holster issue but these are both issues that have been beaten to death here. I think the graphics look great and sometimes amazing.

Use the map. It displays the names of people relevant to assignments like that under the area they're in.

jediyoshi

Speaking of Legion, how does that one Geth mission even happen if he's dead in your game? Does it even exist?

If you've played it, you know the one I'm talking about. spoilers in case:
Geth consensus virtual reality, which Legion guides you through

I assume he isn't replaced with another Geth. That would be kind of strange, for reasons that should be evident. :p

Not quite, in fact he's totally replaced by another Geth that they refer to as Geth VI and looks just like Legion.

Zeliard

Not quite, in fact he's totally replaced by another Geth that they refer to as Geth VI and looks just like Legion.

Am I missing something or wasn't Legion
totally unique? He even mentions that he has some Reaper upgrades, on top of it. Does "Geth VI" say the same? Seems like a cop-out.
:p

Kem0sabe

After having played The Witcher 2, and how they handled the branching paths through the game, this type of cheap "solution" presented by bioware is ridiculously amateurish.

Zeliard

Bioware's handling of dead characters as a whole seems to be rather, uh, poor. It's particularly unfortunate since they made certain past ME decisions and character moments tie to ME3 in some neat, unexpected ways, but then with other stuff they just wave a magic wand.

Omega

Banned
Does multiplayer take away from the single player?

What I mean is, you need to get your galactic readiness up to 100%, does doing multiplayer mean there's less N7 missions to do in single player?

It's a stupid question IMO, but it is EA/BioWare after all. I ask because I haven't played single player since I'm hoping they make a patch to import my ME1 face.

Kem0sabe

Does multiplayer take away from the single player?

What I mean is, you need to get your galactic readiness up to 100%, does doing multiplayer mean there's less N7 missions to do in single player?

It's a stupid question IMO, but it is EA/BioWare after all. I ask because I haven't played single player since I'm hoping they make a patch to import my ME1 face.

N7 missions in the SP are basically lead in´s to the MP missions. You can do all the MP you like that the only thing it changes is your readiness %, which decays at about the rate of 1%/day.

jediyoshi

Am I missing something or wasn't Legion
totally unique? He even mentions that he has some Reaper upgrades, on top of it. Does "Geth VI" say the same? Seems like a cop-out.
:p
You're thinking too much! That'd require them to actually explain why he has Shep's old armor on him! And even then you'd then come to the realization that for some reaosn the Geth went out of their way to replicate damaged armor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The scope of choices and potential consequences in the Mass Effect trilogy greatly exceed the two Witcher games, even if the latter does a better job if game specific choices. BioWare screwed themselves over with the whole character import / three games worth of consequences shit. It was never, ever going to live up to lofty expectations and I cant think of another developer who'd be able to, not unless the project was significantly downscaled in production values (eg: text instead of voice work for some characters), or the game had an infinite budget and development resources.

Sai

I still think it's horribly stupid that I have to play multiplayer to get my galactic readiness up to 100%. I was doing everything I could, confident that I could run through the single player once and not have to worry about getting matched up with a bunch of people that like to quit out on you seconds before the match starts, or purchasing an iOS device that costs hundreds of dollars.

Yet it stays at 50%...

Zeliard

You're thinking too much! That'd require them to actually explain why he has Shep's old armor on him! And even then you'd then come to the realization that for some reaosn the Geth went out of their way to replicate damaged armor.

Haha, at least Joker
made a crack about Legion wearing Shep's armor.

There's a lot of self-aware humor in the game, like Conrad Verner joking about
going to thermal clips being a backwards step.

Lirlond

I'm surprised they didn't just have a random Geth show up and say "Shepard-Commander, after the destruction of our previous platform we have transferred to another." ?? The Geth aren't the physical bodies!!

Kem0sabe

The scope of choices and potential consequences in the Mass Effect trilogy greatly exceed the two Witcher games, even if the latter does a better job if game specific choices. BioWare screwed themselves over with the whole character import / three games worth of consequences shit. It was never, ever going to live up to lofty expectations and I cant think of another developer who'd be able to, not unless the project was significantly downscaled in production values (eg: text instead of voice work for some characters), or the game had an infinite budget and development resources.

Exactly. My thoughts on this are conflicting, on one hand i want to have the choice to continue my own personal story, on the other hand it´s jarring to see how the implement opposing solutions to previous player choices.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I still think it's horribly stupid that I have to play multiplayer to get my galactic readiness up to 100%. I was doing everything I could, confident that I could run through the single player once and not have to worry about getting matched up with a bunch of people that like to quit out on you seconds before the match starts, or purchasing an iOS device that costs hundreds of dollars.

Yet it stays at 50%...

Your galactic readiness does not need to be 100% to get the 'best' ending. Galactic readiness is a multiplier. The only thing that really matters is your effective military strength, or more specifically, the green bar.

I'm surprised they didn't just have a random Geth show up and say "Shepard-Commander, after the destruction of our previous platform we have transferred to another." ?? The Geth aren't the physical bodies!!

Legion was. He was a unique mobile platform completely able to function away from the collective

Zeliard

I agree. At the same time it is sort of unfortunate that people coming in with dead characters are kinda getting a second-rate experience. Shep likely has little or no history with most of the characters who replace dead peeps, so I imagine you lose out on some bits of dialogue and interesting call-backs to previous games.

Though I guess that's what people get for allowing characters to die. :p

I think they could have come up with something more clever for Legion, specifically. At least with the other characters, what Bioware did makes some sort of sense, but for Legion it just doesn't fit.

Sai

Your galactic readiness does not need to be 100% to get the 'best' ending. Galactic readiness is a multiplier. The only thing that really matters is your effective military strength, or more specifically, the green bar.
Oh.

Well then, I was all green. Nevermind. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So are the rumors about needing to raise GR a little bit to get the EMS over 4k or 5k to get a post credit bonus true? I've heard conflicting reports. I know you don't need it to get the best ending but if there is a bonus scene I'd like to get it. If it's true what's the number needed. It shouldn't take me long to build it up since I have 6800+ in War Assets right now and evidently have a few Priority Missions still to go.

Kem0sabe

For you to get the "best" possible ending, you need an EMS rating of at least 5000. Thats only possible if you have a readiness rating superior to 50%, as doing single player only never gets you the 10000 war assets you would need for the 5000 EMS.

Single player + MP 72% readiness

Assuming a 7000 war assets single player run.

7000*72%MR= 5040 EMS (best ending possible)

Single player only

You would need 10000 war assets

10000*50%MR = 5000 EMS

I doubt very much that any player can reach 10000 war assets in a single run, i did every single sidequest, imported a save, made full paragon choices for maximum alliances, and explored every system to 100%... and im nowhere near that :(

Eusis

Yeah, it's an idea that could probably work out in a series with the technical scope of the KotOR series AT MAX. Most likely it'd only be seriously feasible over three games of the technical level of Baldur's Gate, but without taking as long as BGII can and capping out at about 50 hours for each game when trying to do everything.

Although, it could've still been handled more gracefully. The
Rachni mission
could've just been skipped over and
something OTHER than using Legion as a signal enhancer
which was just kind of ridiculous anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Readiness goes up 4% per complete match, correct? Shouldn't take me too long to get everyhing built up then. How is the iOS game for building readiness? I was thinking of getting it anyway but if it's faster than grinding MP then I'll just go with that.

Carbonox

I agree. At the same time it is sort of unfortunate that people coming in with dead characters are kinda getting a second-rate experience. Shep likely has little or no history with most of the characters who replace dead peeps, so I imagine you lose out on some bits of dialogue and interesting call-backs to previous games.

Though I guess that's what people get for allowing characters to die. :p

I think they could have come up with something more clever for Legion, specifically. At least with the other characters, what Bioware did makes some sort of sense, but for Legion it just doesn't fit.

Sorry, to clarify, if I came in with dead characters, would there be replacement characters in the missions and story? I came in with all 12 but am willing to shake it up in the next save.

So for example, let's use Mordin:
He dies in the story of ME3 but if I didn't save him in the second game, how would this mission play out as it's an important one?

For you to get the "best" possible ending, you need an EMS rating of at least 5000. Thats only possible if you have a readiness rating superior to 50%, as doing single player only never gets you the 10000 war assets you would need for the 5000 EMS.

Single player + MP 72% readiness

Assuming a 7000 war assets single player run.

7000*72%MR= 5040 EMS (best ending possible)

Single player only

You would need 10000 war assets

10000*50%MR = 5000 EMS

I doubt very much that any player can reach 10000 war assets in a single run, i did every single sidequest, imported a save, made full paragon choices for maximum alliances, and explored every system to 100%... and im nowhere near that :(

You only need to do it to get the bonus scene, not the best ending. You can get the best ending through just the SP alone. Getting the little bonus is not really worth the trouble, just youtube it if your not going to touch the MP or work your ass off.

Salaadin

How hard is it to boost war readiness in multiplayer? Im thinking that Ill just play until the final mission, pop on MP for a few hours, and then beat the game. Or is there more to it than that?

Lucius86

Banned
Readiness goes up 4% per complete match, correct? Shouldn't take me too long to get everyhing built up then. How is the iOS game for building readiness? I was thinking of getting it anyway but if it's faster than grinding MP then I'll just go with that.

Varies on how well you do.

Zeliard

Sorry, to clarify, if I came in with dead characters, would there be replacement characters in the missions and story? I came in with all 12 but am willing to shake it up in the next save.

So for example, let's use Mordin:
He dies in the story of ME3 but if I didn't save him in the second game, how would this mission play out as it's an important one?

I went in with all alive characters so I'm not sure of the specifics, but apparently in most cases they are just replaced with carbon copies with less dialogue. I know that Wrex is replaced with Wreav, which makes sense, and I think that's an okay replacement since at least there's history with Wreav (even though Wrex is far superior :p).

Not sure with people like Mordin, Garrus, etc. As far as the particular scene you're talking about, I assume the events are roughly identical. Instead of
Mordin being the one to cure the genophage, I assume it's just another Salarian scientist.

Top Bottom