• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

No. Just wrong. Spoilers people
He's become a geth V.I. with the blue grid inside of him. He's not an ennemy. Morinth only sends her sisters email. You don't even see her. Jack is dead. What are you talking about?!?!

Oh I see. Lol, how can people just start making up shit like that?

exYle

Jack? I heard about Morinth, but how can Jack appear as an enemy at all?

If you fail to save Grissom Academy, she probably gets abducted. She reappears as basically a generic Phantom named Jack in Cerberus HQ.

No.
He's become a geth V.I. with the blue grid inside of him. He's not an ennemy. Morinth only sends her sisters email. You don't even see her. Jack is dead. What are you talking about?!?!

He gets replaced by a Geth V.I if he dies, but he still looks exactly like Legion, and Shepard and Co. call him Legion and he says "I'm not Legion." You get an email from Morinth, but she appears as a named Banshee on Earth. And I mentioned Jack above.

Moaradin

Worst game ending of all time that ruins the entire trilogy my fucking arse.

The greatest joy of that ending was it not living up to the hyperbolic hate and anger I expected to feel.

This brings me joy coming from you. Mass Effect is probably my favorite game series ever, and I would be devastated if the ending made me subsequently hate the series.

It's kinda sad that I am happy to know the ending is bad, but not bad enough to ruin the series.

Tess3ract

Banned

The greatest joy of that ending was it not living up to the hyperbolic hate and anger I expected to feel.
Don't worry. Give it a few days and you'll join the dark side. Because it really does ruin the trilogy, at least for me.
Jack? I heard about Morinth, but how can Jack appear as an enemy at all?

Jack spoiler
If you never show up to save grissom academy, they torture her and send her against you.

Derrick01

Banned

This is what happens when a thousand people say the ending is the worst thing ever. People somehow start thinking it'll be even worse and when they see it they're not as disappointed.

We need to stop giving Bioware an out here by hyping people up :p

The journal is still driving me completely crazy. My newest gripe - on 360, when you open it up, it defaults to like midway through the COMPLETED quests, not the current ones. So every time I need to check a quest, I hit start, select journal, and then scroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool up. I've finished/have a ton of quests. All that scrolling is ridiculous. Maybe it's a bug?

bigace33

This brings me joy coming from you. Mass Effect is probably my favorite game series ever, and I would be devastated if the ending made me subsequently hate the series.

It's kinda sad that I am happy to know the ending is bad, but not bad enough to ruin the series.
Bruh, there are people on this earth who actually eat those fruitcakes they get for Christmas. There are people on earth who actually like beets and liver for dinner. I'm sure if you search hard enough, there will be some people who actually like ME3s ending. The game itself is amazing, but that lackluster ending kind of ruined the series for me. Doesn't take away from the phenomenal gameplay or story bits at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's fair ridiculous and totally hateable. I can appreciate people being extremely disappointed with it, and I'm not in the least bit surprised to see most people hating it. So you might still.

But I didn't. That's not to say I loved it, but I didn't hate it.

Don't worry. Give it a few days and you'll join the dark side. Because it really does ruin the trilogy, at least for me.

Doubt it. And I definitely don't feel that way.

This is what happens when a thousand people say the ending is the worst thing ever. People somehow start thinking it'll be even worse and when they see it they're not as disappointed.

We need to stop giving Bioware an out here by hyping people up :p

I should thank you all for overhyping something for being so very less worse than what I was anticipating.

Samara

[PS3] This game keeps freezing on me, what the hell? Is it this bad for everyone?

I've gotten like 4-5 loading freezes last night. And it occasionally did freeze on me before. But yesterday was the worst.

And what does all those War Asset give you? Like a better ending? Doing all those Citadel mission are a drag--

Zeliard

The journal is still driving me completely crazy. My newest gripe - on 360, when you open it up, it defaults to like midway through the COMPLETED quests, not the current ones. So every time I need to check a quest, I hit start, select journal, and then scroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool up. I've finished/have a ton of quests. All that scrolling is ridiculous. Maybe it's a bug?

It does that shit on PC too. Annoying stuffs.

Haha, I'm in the same boat. I'm about 2-3 missions away from the end I suspect and the anti-hype has been a little depressing honestly.

I don't get all the hate for the ending. Why does an ending hold so much weight with you people? The fun part of the game is playing it, not watching some clip at the end. Most of the people bitching beat this game within like 48-72 hours of release. Surely they enjoyed themselves or would not have marathoned 20+ hours in such a short time frame. The journal is shit tho, lol.

bigace33

PC version ran nearly flawless for me. I had one freeze, and maybe two incidents were my mouse would not register when I tried to select from the power wheel. No getting stuck in walls like ME2 though. Not bad for nearly 40 hours of game play.

Trey

Happens to me too. Fuck that shit. I just sort entries with Y, though, instead of scrolling up.

Moaradin

It's fair ridiculous and totally hateable. I can appreciate people being extremely disappointed with it, and I'm not in the least bit surprised to see most people hating it. So you might still.

Oh I fully expect to not like it, but I don't want a 10 minute ending ruin the hours of the best content in the series. I beat ME2 6 times and I consider this better in just about every aspect. I don't want it to kill my interest in the game and never play it again over such a small part.

Same here. Just press the 'Y' button and it'll instantly scroll to the top for you.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't get all the hate for the ending. Why does an ending hold so much weight with you people? The fun part of the game is playing it, not watching some clip at the end. Most of the people bitching beat this game within like 48-72 hours of release. Surely they enjoyed themselves or would not have marathoned 20+ hours in such a short time frame. The journal is shit tho, lol.

Because it's a story driven series. Can't really explain anything here since this isn't the spoiler thread. No it doesn't ruin the good times I had playing the game but so far I haven't been able to muster up any will to play any of the games. All I can think about is the ending.

PBalfredo

So what did you guys choose for the
curing the genophage quest? It was honestly one of the more difficult video game choices I have ever made. I ended up sabotaging it bc Eve died and I agreed with Mordin that Wreav couldn't be trusted on his own. Also I didn't want Mordin to die in the process. But I do honestly feel bad about it. I'll do the other choice for my next play through. What are the repercussions if you do cure it?

Wrex was alive and I had the cure data from ME2 so Eve was healthy as well. I felt that Tuchanka was in good hands so I warned them about the sabotage the first chance I got. Mordin had to sacrifice himself but he went out like a boss and finally got the redemption he craved, so it was all good. Amazingly satisfying to do right by the Krogan and save the future of their people

ameratsu

Some highlights of my renegade playthrough (spoilers, obviously)

Killing Udina.
Gut punching a Quarian Admiral who almost got me killed
Shooting Mordin in the back as he went up to fix the genophage cure
Getting confronted by Wrex about my treachery and killing him

See it like this: you get an amazing dinner at a fancy restaurant. You are ready for the final desert and the cook presents you a warmed up piece of shit (literally). How would you feel about the complete experience?

bigace33

I think the hate comes from players like myself who have been there from day one, and have waited patiently to see the big payoff from all the hours invested into this series as a whole. I've put in maybe 150+ hours with this series counting the times I beat ME 1 and 2 on 360 as well. You build these characters and choices since like 2008, only to be dropped kicked in the face by some lame Matrix type ending, you have to understand some people getting pretty angry about it. The gang who just imported an ME2 save off the internet may be a bit more forgiving since they have less time invested.

Tess3ract

Banned
Where's that image of a bioware fan eating shit and someone calming going "why are you eating shit?" and the bioware fans flips out going THIS IS BIOWARE SHIT, YOU WISH YOU COULD BE EATING THIS and stuff

it was hilarious

Eusis

Wrex was alive and I had the cure data from ME2 so Eve was healthy as well. I felt that Tuchanka was in good hands so I warned them about the sabotage the first chance I got. Mordin had to sacrifice himself but he went out like a boss and finally got the redemption he craved, so it was all good. Amazingly satisfying to do right by the Krogan and save the future of their people
Yeah, I think
this choice seriously depends on who is around. Wrex and Eve? Definitely. Wrex alone? I'm going to play favorites and say "yes". Wreav and Eve? Maybe, if Eve can counter him well enough. Wreav alone? Sorry, but it's just no good for the galaxy for krogans to be around if he's leading them during a weakened period for everyone.

The ME1 music playing was so nostalgic to me. :')

Kem0sabe

Because it's a story driven series. Can't really explain anything here since this isn't the spoiler thread. No it doesn't ruin the good times I had playing the game but so far I haven't been able to muster up any will to play any of the games. All I can think about is the ending.

Same here, any thoughts of a replay of the game are gone and buried beneath a pile of poorly textured bodies.

After this mess the only way they can continue the series forward in time is do either pull a magic trick out of their asses
to enable deep space travel
or to pretend this shit never happened.

I´m more inclined to believe they will prequel the fuck out of the series. First game... CoD clone set in the first contact war with the Turians.

I think the hate comes from players like myself who have been there from day one, and have waited patiently to see the big payoff from all the hours invested into this series as a whole. I've put in maybe 150+ hours with this series counting the times I beat ME 1 and 2 on 360 as well. You build these characters and choices since like 2008, only to be dropped kicked in the face by some lame Matrix type ending, you have to understand some people getting pretty angry about it. The gang who just imported an ME2 save off the internet may be a bit more forgiving since they have less time invested.

I've been playing since 1 as well, and unless the game crashes and deletes my save at the final battle, it will have been a fully enjoyable experience. All I'm getting at it is I play games for the gameplay and the challenge, not the ending cutscene. A good story is a secondary bonus for me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

But I didn't. That's not to say I loved it, but I didn't hate it.

Doubt it. And I definitely don't feel that way.

I should thank you all for overhyping something for being so very less worse than what I was anticipating.

Yes, if i very much enjoyed over 30 hours of ME3, no kind of very bad 5 mins cutscene is going to make me forget how i loved the rest. Overreaction is GAF's best weapon. :p Just look at any E3, ME or Wii U related threads for proof.

I hate how the ammo powers turn off after every cutscene, after using a workbench even if I make no changes, and turn off for my squad every time I switch weapons even if I don't have a squad ammo power. Whose bright idea was this?

Zafir

Wow, I thought I was going crazy, or loaded the wrong ME1 save or something.
In ME1 I swear down I put Anderson on the council, because he was the better man, yet in ME3 Udina is on the council. I didn't think much of it at first, just thought I must have loaded the wrong save or something since it has been about 4 or 5 years since I played ME. So now I've finally got to the cerberus attack on the citadel, where Udina is trying to start a coup, and it all makes sense. They retconned my choice so they could pull this shite. What the hell? This was the reason I didn't put him on the council to start with, he couldn't be trusted!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I've played about 7 hours so far and have had a pretty good time. I have really enjoyed the way they bring in some of the characters
Thane and Kasumi
. It makes me wonder what happens if you don't play some of the DLC. Especially the Shadow Broker stuff because of how much it gets brought up. Have to wait until a friend who didn't play SB plays it to find out what happens.

Re Shadowbroker, Project Overlord, and Arrival: Respectively,
Liara, Legion (and also the Cerberus scientist who performed the experiments on his brother, assuming you play the N7 mission where you rescue the Cerberus scientist), and a Batarian captain tell you what happens if you didn't play these three DLC packages (you are not involved in those events at all - it's just Liara kicking the Shadowbroker's ass, the Geth eavesdropping on Cerberus's Project Overlord experiment and the aforementioned Cerberus scientist telling you what happened, and the Batarian captain just blames the Alliance, not you specifically (don't really understand why you're on trial at the beginning of the game then).

Re Kasumi:
she doesn't appear at all and isn't mentioned in the Cerberus side-mission she appears in if you play her DLC

Don't know about Zaeed, since he was included if you purchased ME2 the first day (thanks for not doing the same thing this time around, Bioware - you love your fans, obviously. -_-)

ced

I hate how the ammo powers turn off after every cutscene, after using a workbench even if I make no changes, and turn off for my squad every time I switch weapons even if I don't have a squad ammo power. Whose bright idea was this?

It's been like that in at least the last two, and it's a huge pain in the ass. I also noticed some random times my guns will all be unequipped and unmodded when starting a mission.

bigace33

I've been playing since 1 as well, and unless the game crashes and deletes my save at the final battle, it will have been a fully enjoyable experience. All I'm getting at it is I play games for the gameplay and the challenge, not the ending cutscene. A good story is a secondary bonus for me.
That's fair enough. I loved the game play and the journey to get to the end. Unfortunately, I play games to also get a payoff at the end, and this one is horrible. So horrible that it will be quite some time(if ever) before I return to play these games again. There are plenty of games I can play that simply reward you for good game play and challenge. A huge part of ME as a series is the story, and the building up of all these great characters and decisions. Story is equally important as gameplay.

Najaf

If I tell one of my old flames like Liara that I am still interested, will none of the new love interests have that portion of dialogue available? Am I essentially locked into that one relationship for the entirety of the playthrough?

bigace33

Re Shadowbroker, Project Overlord, and Arrival: Respectively,
Liara, Legion (and also the Cerberus scientist who performed the experiments on his brother, assuming you play the N7 mission where you rescue the Cerberus scientist), and a Batarian captain tell you what happens if you didn't play these three DLC packages (you are not involved in those events at all - it's just Liara kicking the Shadowbroker's ass, the Geth eavesdropping on Cerberus's Project Overlord experiment and the aforementioned Cerberus scientist telling you what happened, and the Batarian captain just blames the Alliance, not you specifically (don't really understand why you're on trial at the beginning of the game then).

Re Kasumi:
she doesn't appear at all and isn't mentioned in the Cerberus side-mission she appears in if you play her DLC

Don't know about Zaeed, since he was included if you purchased ME2 the first day (thanks for not doing the same thing this time around, Bioware - you love your fans, obviously. -_-)
Kasumi
appears in a very lame and brief mission on the Citidel. She also becomes a war assett for you.

Giard

Will I miss a lot on the story if I don't have the From Ashes DLC? Because of the new character's nature, I'm kinda scared I'm gonna miss important or interesting stuff.

Patryn

If I tell one of my old flames like Liara that I am still interested, will none of the new love interests have that portion of dialogue available? Am I essentially locked into that one relationship for the entirety of the playthrough?

That's how it was with mine. Soon as I confirmed Kaiden, it locked everyone else out.

Will I miss a lot on the story if I don't have the From Ashes DLC? Because of the new character's nature, I'm kinda scared I'm gonna miss important or interesting stuff.

You won't miss anything CORE. But you will miss a lot of fleshing out and some fairly important insight on at least one mission.

DTKT

There is some key stuff that makes the character really interesting to the overall story. He has some amazing banter with Liara. It's a god damn shame that he's DLC. He should have been part of the main-game.

jtrov

I was paranoid about getting locked out, but I told Liara I was still interested and I was still able to pursue other romance options. Reading a guide, I didn't see anything for Liara that would lock you out otherwise. However, I believe there are other characters that could lock you in.

Karak

That's fair enough. I loved the game play and the journey to get to the end. Unfortunately, I play games to also get a payoff at the end, and this one is horrible. So horrible that it will be quite some time(if ever) before I return to play these games again. There are plenty of games I can play that simply reward you for good game play and challenge. A huge part of ME as a series is the story, and the building up of all these great characters and decisions. Story is equally important as gameplay.

Ya play-throughs of particular games are usually for roleplaying for me. This has effectively removed the desire to ever touch the series again. Good gameplay, challange and payoff can indeed be found elsewhere without 1 impacting and destroying the enjoyment of the others.

tino

Banned
Ive never been so tempted to spoil and ending for myself before. Im obviously holding out until I beat it for myself but seeing all this hate has me so curious.
On the bright side, I guess my expectations have been lowered so maybe it wont seem as bad to me.
Me too. I am stuck browsing GAF at work. The ending would have to be twice as bad as A Dance with Dragon or as bad as The last book of the Dark Tower series to live up to the hype.

Karak

Honestly its fairly important and just one more thing that will be missing after you finish ME3 if you don't have him to flesh out a couple of the missing bits.

Top Bottom