• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Giard

You won't miss anything CORE. But you will miss a lot of fleshing out and some fairly important insight on at least one mission.

There is some key stuff that makes the character really interesting to the overall story. He has some amazing banter with Liara. It's a god damn shame that he's DLC. He should have been part of the main-game.

Honestly its fairly important and just one more thing that will be missing after you finish ME3 if you don't have him to flesh out a couple of the missing bits.
Ugh. I really don't want to buy it, but they're making it hard. Thanks.

Tess3ract

Banned
Me too. I am stuck browsing GAF at work. The ending would have to be twice as bad as A Dance with Dragon or as bad as The last book of the Dark Tower series to live up to the hype.
It's about as bad as ADWD yeah. I hated that book compared to the previous 4

Zeliard

Will I miss a lot on the story if I don't have the From Ashes DLC? Because of the new character's nature, I'm kinda scared I'm gonna miss important or interesting stuff.

He has great banter with the other characters, provides fun bits of lore, and he's a boss in combat.

Karak

Me too. I am stuck browsing GAF at work. The ending would have to be twice as bad as A Dance with Dragon or as bad as The last book of the Dark Tower series to live up to the hype.

I honestly feel that I would have been GLAD to be warned ahead of time. Its like a fucking bleeding gutwound delivered by an invisible enemy you didn't know you had and who gives you no reason for the attack then spits on the wound, does a sumersoult off the stage while talking about the plot of a game you didn't play. If you are warned you can prep against the pain and sort of just bare it.

Nemesis_

Will I miss a lot on the story if I don't have the From Ashes DLC? Because of the new character's nature, I'm kinda scared I'm gonna miss important or interesting stuff.

He has a unique power that is absolutely fucking BOSS when upgraded. Amazing stuff.

Wow, I thought I was going crazy, or loaded the wrong ME1 save or something.
In ME1 I swear down I put Anderson on the council, because he was the better man, yet in ME3 Udina is on the council. I didn't think much of it at first, just thought I must have loaded the wrong save or something since it has been about 4 or 5 years since I played ME. So now I've finally got to the cerberus attack on the citadel, where Udina is trying to start a coup, and it all makes sense. They retconned my choice so they could pull this shite. What the hell? This was the reason I didn't put him on the council to start with, he couldn't be trusted!

Yea,
but also in one of the comics Anderson steps down or something and Udina succeeds him

To all you guys worrying about your EMS to get the best ending: there is no best ending. You can get an additional choice by having 4000+ EMS but it's just as bad as the other choices. Seriously. So don't stress out over trying to max out your EMS.

Samara

I don't know about story stuff yet (I've just started) but his assault rifle---my God, it's like a collector laser beam.

Kem0sabe

To all you guys worrying about your EMS to get the best ending: there is no best ending. You can get an additional choice by having 4000+ EMS but it's just as bad as the other choices. Seriously. So don't stress out over trying to max out your EMS.

Shep lives with you have 5000 EMS and choose the destroy ending, Shep dies otherwise
... so yeah, i consider that pretty major.

Patryn

There is also an additional scene that you can get depending on one choice that costs either 4000 or 5000 active assets, depending on yet another action.

Petrichor

Worst game ending of all time that ruins the entire trilogy my fucking arse.

The greatest joy of that ending was it not living up to the hyperbolic hate and anger I expected to feel.

There's no room for such moderate and reasonable opinions in here, it's a Mass Effect thread!

ultron87

Is it just me or does the codex not seem to update quite enough in regards to the progress you make in side missions?

Example, (early game spoiler after first big mission)
Aria wants you to help out the Blue Suns so they'll join you. To help them you need to talk to the general. He eventually tells you that you need to get C-Sec black market weapons (or you can have him killed). This leads you to a merchant who will give them the weapons if you supply him artifacts. This entire time the mission in your journal just says something along the lines of "Deal with General Oraka" which is the first step of the problem. If you took a break there it might be tough to remember what you're actually doing. I had a similar problem with the Eclipse mercenary mission where you are supposed to find another solution instead of the imprisoned crazy leader.

It isn't that big a deal because you can do everything on the Citadel just by opening your map and talking to every who it names, but it is still kind of annoying if you happen to take a break or do other stuff for awhile.

Kem0sabe

Is it just me or does the codex not seem to update quite enough in regards to the progress you make in side missions?

Aria wants you to help out the Blue Suns so they'll join you. To help them you need to talk to the general. He eventually tells you that you need to get C-Sec black market weapons (or you can have him killed). This leads you to a merchant who will give them the weapons if you supply him artifacts. This entire time the mission in your journal just says something along the lines of "Deal with General Oraka" which is the first step of the problem. If you took a break there it might be tough to remember what you're actually doing. I had a similar problem with the Eclipse mercenary mission where you are supposed to find another solution instead of the imprisoned crazy leader.

It isn't that big a deal because you can do everything on the Citadel just by opening your map and talking to every who it names, but it is still kind of annoying if you happen to take a break or do other stuff for awhile.

It doesn't update at all. Your left to figure out on your own what quest´s you´ve advanced or not.

Dresden

So the particle beam rifle doesn't use ammo, but uses the ME1 overheating system instead? Or so I hear. Never used it.

I looked forward to ADWD so much, and now i cant even remember what happened in the book. :lol

George sets up a bunch of shit that didn't need to be set up, and the story inches forward, and nothing truly remarkable happens over the course of the bible-sized book. Amazing stuff.

Heysoos

Why does my stupid quest journal start so far in the bottom? Having to slowly scroll back up to the top to see active quests is EXTREMELY annoying.

Edit: Well shit, now for some reason it's starting at the top.. wtf.

EDIT: And now it's back to the bottom.

Patryn

It doesn't update at all. Your left to figure out on your own what quest´s you´ve advanced or not.

Yeah, everything about the journal is a huge step back. It kept opening up on the codex for me, and then when I moved over to mission, it'd be in the middle of my completed mission. The Journal was perfect in ME2, I have no idea why it's so messed up in ME3. Maybe it's the merging it with the Codex that is creating the problems?

It'll also never tell you if you actually have the item a person is looking for already, which led to me going to a planet I had already been to searching for something I already had.

Dartastic

KA4vK.png

THIS.

Also, where do you get artifacts?

EatChildren's is saying in the spoiler thread that the ending's not as terrible as MGS4 simply because it doesn't retcon as much.

All you guys going "YEAH FUCK DA GAF HIVEMIND" need to realize how low the expectations are lulz.

Samara

So teammates can only equip 2 weapons? and they are predetermined? I remember seeing videos with Kinekt saying "Liara assault rifle" or something. James a soldier; why can't he equip everything? I have to buy mods?

Also, what you assign to the little icon is completely wrong. Like say right pad-Stasis...it's now warp. I have to pause the game and select the right combination.----wth

please tell me

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm near the end now so I'll be able to chip in with the ending but I can already see what's going to happen ...
with Shepard at least. That area in London where you are talking to your squad just seems to be hinting that Shepard won't come back from it.

Right now, I'm in the middle of what is probably the most ridiculous and annoying battle in Mass Effect history. It feels like something out of Red Faction: Armageddon... battle spoiler:
I'm getting bumfucked by a bunch of Banshees and Marauders. There must be like 20 of them and I have to somehow activate the missiles.

Kem0sabe

So teammates can only equip 2 weapons? and they are predetermined? I remember seeing videos with Kinekt saying "Liara assault rifle" or something. James a soldier; why can't he equip everything? I have to buy mods?

Also, what you assign to the little icon is completely wrong. Like say right pad-Stasis...it's now warp. I have to pause the game and select the right combination.----wth

please tell me

Companion weapon proficiency is pre-determined, only Shep can use all weapon types. Garus for example can only use sniper + assault rifle, Liara is only pistol + SMG.

.GqueB.

Banned
See it like this: you get an amazing dinner at a fancy restaurant. You are ready for the final desert and the cook presents you a warmed up piece of shit (literally). How would you feel about the complete experience?

I think your analogy is a bit strong (and gross) but I can related. The LOST ending retroactively ruined the entire series for me. I used to go back and watch season 1 randomly just because it was so good. I tried again recently...

couldn't do it.

Question for you guys. If I can only pick one, which would be a better experience...

1. Singleplayer with all my previous choices from ME1 and ME2 carried over, but no multiplayer option.

- OR -

2. Singleplayer with default choices. Multiplayer available.

REV 09

Question for you guys. If I can only pick one, which would be a better experience...

1. Singleplayer with all my previous choices from ME1 and ME2 carried over, but no multiplayer option.

- OR -

the default choices suck if you've played the previous games. I feel like i am getting a significantly worse experience than others because i didn't import. (played ME1 and ME2 on 360, now on PC)

This game is just incredible. Every time i advance a new priority mission something truly epic happens. I love the music, the graphics, the story - i am totally invested in the characters and the plot.

Really like the game so far, a real jump over ME1/2.

Some of the guns are just outstanding - the sound of the javelin is frikkin scary.

My character is an engineer tho and i only rock the recharging prothean laser assault rifle thing. that gives me +152% and it means my cool downs are REALLY quick. With an auto recharging ammo supply i see no need for another gun, but damn there are some cool ones out there. The engineer is such a cool class. I love having the sentry turret and combat drone on my side. At full levels they are like having 2 addition characters on your squad.

Solo

- OR -

This is a no brainer. Option 1.

Dresden

- OR -

I don't think MP is worth it. Of course Bioware in their infinite wisdom made it so you'll need to do some MP for the "better" endings.

Samara

Companion weapon proficiency is pre-determined, only Shep can use all weapon types. Garus for example can only use sniper + assault rifle, Liara is only pistol + SMG.

Ah, ok. I could be sure they could equip whatever we wanted. thanks for answering it was driving me crazy

I think the hate comes from players like myself who have been there from day one, and have waited patiently to see the big payoff from all the hours invested into this series as a whole. I've put in maybe 150+ hours with this series counting the times I beat ME 1 and 2 on 360 as well. You build these characters and choices since like 2008, only to be dropped kicked in the face by some lame POTENTIAL SPOILER type ending, you have to understand some people getting pretty angry about it. The gang who just imported an ME2 save off the internet may be a bit more forgiving since they have less time invested.

This had best not be a spoiler.

Trey

Ya...I really wish people would take all this ending talk to the spoiler thread.

I didn't beat the game yet but I'm pretty sure how it ends now thanks to all the untagged comparisons in this thread. People just can't help themselves when explaining their distaste and assuring others that they will, too, hate it.

Worst game ending of all time that ruins the entire trilogy my fucking arse.

The greatest joy of that ending was it not living up to the hyperbolic hate and anger I expected to feel.

Called it:

It's probably trademark GAF/Internet forum end-of-the-world hyperbole at work where everything is terrible and horrible and worst ever, at least that's what I hope it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing it myself and am gonna go in with an open-mind. Still got like half the game to go

Edit: wow what a massive minefield this thread has become. Every other post is about the ending. Thankfully I have no idea what it is yet but damn I just know continuing to read this thread will lead to spoilers...must...resist

please tell me

The power they will use will stay whatever you hotkeyed rgardless of what the icon is. It changes based on the last power they used to show you the cooldown that is left since that varies from power to power. T have seen the icon show for singularity but hitting the d-pad still made her use warp as I had assigned.

Top Bottom