• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Riposte

The DLC character is pretty integral to the game IMO. He's not a Zaeed (so BioWare is bullshitting if they say he is simply extra). When you use in him in this one quest where you are forced to use Liara you get some meaty revelations.

Anyway beat the game... so here is a quick rant, so I can move on with my life:

So I can say with certainly this game and the series as a whole is pretty much the one of the best when it comes to soaking in an atmosphere. I can accept taking a trashy sci-fi novel and turning it into a detailed 3D environment with "choices". Great comrades, cool art design, etc. Easy enough to get sucked into it, get addicted even (which usually means once you come to your senses you'll feel a little sick with yourself). For some people this will be enough and those some people write all the reviews in the videogame industry. Anyway, I really hated the idea of the Reaper War (the game should have been about indoctrination instead), but they handled the concept well enough until it was actually time to fight the battle to decide the war. Then it became Call of Duty. Congrats to BioWare for ending Mass Effect with a Call of Duty level...

RAMIREZ GET ON THE TURRET!
RAMIREZ BLOW UP THE REAPER!
RAMIREZ WALK AWKWARDLY TOWARD SOMETHING WITH RED SHIT ON YOUR SCREEN AND FIRE YOUR GUN IN SLOW MOTION!
Okay, Sgt. Foley.

Yeah, the ending is pretty bad altogether. (Doesn't ruin the fun you might find getting there. Don't know why people say it ruins the series.)

The combat in this game isn't outright terrible (powers are cool), but it clearly wants you to do things it can't handle. One-button for everything? Why? And Shepard moves terribly. What ends up happening is that the games feel really easy most of the time (though there are occasionally clever parts), but then something will go wrong with your movement or you'll turn the corner at the wrong time and get one-shotted by a turret lol. It seems this kind of brokenness is the only flavor of hard 95% of western devs can make so I've come to accept it on some level. Where ME3 really fails is that it is just grueling. Getting random'd out is bad enough as it is, but these long, mostly dull firefights (checkpoints) can really make them sting. When the game gets all Call of Duty, I had to endure quite a lot.

Despite being an average game (above-average if we are kind to the atmosphere), I believe it to be the best Mass Effect. Level design and enemies are probably the biggest improvements here.

Now that is over with... I'll miss my bros. Garrus, etc. I even tend to like characters no one else likes. I never hated a squad mate before. Considering the history of Mass Effect DLC, I am not confident BioWare will scratch my itch.

(Speaking of which. ME3's Jacob lol. I mean he didn't set the world on fire in ME2, but at least he was interesting enough when he was angry at something. They turned him into a complete dork. A relatively useless one too, compared to Miranda... who
more or less played a vital role in saving the universe or whatever happens at the end of this game
).

EDIT: I think the ME2 soundtrack was a better effort, though this game went out of its way to reuse a bunch of stuff. lol

milkham

just finished the game and then youtubed the other endings, I really don't get what the problem is. Is it just that people can't deal with an ending that isn't all puppies and love and doesn't cross every T for you?

Aaaaaaand finished.

I quite liked the ending.

END SPOILERS:
I have no idea which option I chose, I went to the path on the left. Guessing I ended technology and set everyone back a few hundered years.

just finished the game and then youtubed the other endings, I really don't get what the problem is. Is it just that people can't deal with an ending that isn't all puppies and love and doesn't cross every T for you?

End spoilers
Found nothing wrong with the Reapers doing it all to help humans to fight synthetics like the Geth?

Moaradin

I just beat it.
I have no idea what just happened. Overall, the game is much better than the previous ones, but that ending. I can't process my thoughts right now.

no actual spoiler, just my thoughts.

Seriously what the fuck is with people coming in here and chiming about their thoughts on the ending. Just go into the spoiler thread so you can discuss it freely and not walk on eggshells in here. We don't want to know your feelings about the ending.

Not trying to be a dick, but surely you realize that by telling us your feelings it puts a certain expectation in our heads and can even imply certain things, like the overall tone of it etc. Which I still consider spoiling. I'll gladly read about all of your thoughts on the other side in the spoiler thread after I get there, but this isn't the place for that.

Anyway, if someone could help me out why my question in my post a little ways up this page, I'd really appreciate it.

derFeef

seriously wtf

and milkham, why put that puppy part in your post without spoiler tags as it's insinuating stuff about the ending

there is a separate thread for this, why cant people use it

Jup, and it would be much easier for those folks too because there is no need of spoiler tag.

It's almost insulting that you think people are shitting on the ending because it isn't super happy.

Reave

Man, this game runs terribly on the ps3. I'm only an hour in so for but, yeah, the framerate
had been the worst I've seen in a major console release in a long time. I'm not sure how any development team can think that this is acceptable.

It's bad, but it's no Skyrim.

Anyone have any advice for upgrades for a Vanguard? I'm debating how often to use Nova and how I can since I just started playing around with it. It does not seem like a good idea following a charge...

Anyone have any advice for upgrades for a Vanguard? I'm debating how often to use Nova and how I can since I just started playing around with it. It does not seem like a good idea following a charge...

You have to get it high level for it to be really effective. The "nova takes 50% of energy not 100% and can be used twice" ability is required, and then I went with the "25% chance of not using any shield".

But I love Cryo Ammo. That was actually the skill I maxed first (in ME1 and 2 as well). The freeze triggers SO often and is very useful. It's also fun from a visual standpoint seeing them frozen and shatter. From reading the thread it seems that most people use the abilities way more than I have... the charge + nova combo, specifically. And lots of melee'ing. I like the guns, cryo ammo, and Pull better and use the charge+nova combo maybe once per fight.

Pull is another one I maxed, a fun and useful skill vs. non-shielded enemies. The last level upgrade for it throws out 2 of them throwing 2 guys in the air. Having a party member with Overload is a good combo with Vanguard.

rozay

Banned

I think I'm actually retarded I kept spamming X this entire time then after the fight I realized melee was B LOL I just managed to do it without getting grabbed by him.

You would think after death #6, a message would pop up saying "Press B repeatedly" :(

Playing insanity with a vanguard -_-

MrBig

I just finished it. The series in sum one of the greatest sci-fi stories, up there with work by Clark, Niven, Simmons and the rest of the best.
The ending is good, fuck the haters and don't let what people say ruin your perception of it.

ShutEye

Funny story: I emailed EA after the game came out asking why the collectors edition was under-shipped relative to demand, when just about every other special edition videogame usually has enough stock to last a couple days or in most cases months after release.

EA's response was to lie to me that the collectors edition was only available through preorder; Which wasn't true in Canada since some people got it at Walmart that morning.

Then they told me to buy it in the UK through a UK store. (I live in Toronto).

Just fantastic! Great to see the EA of old is back in full force.

bigace33

I think I'm actually retarded I kept spamming X this entire time then after the fight I realized melee was B LOL I just managed to do it without getting grabbed by him.

You would think after death #6, a message would pop up saying "Press B repeatedly" :(

Playing insanity with a vanguard -_-
A message does pop up. lol

I just finished it. The series in sum one of the greatest sci-fi stories, up there with work by Clark, Niven, Simmons and the rest of the best.
The ending is good, fuck the haters and don't let what people say ruin your perception of it.
You're indoctrinated!

bestami

Funny story: I emailed EA after the game came out asking why the collectors edition was under-shipped relative to demand, when just about every other special edition videogame usually has enough stock to last a couple days or in most cases months after release.

EA's response was to lie to me that the collectors edition was only available through preorder; Which wasn't true in Canada since some people got it at Walmart that morning.

Then they told me to buy it in the UK through a UK store. (I live in Toronto).

Just fantastic! Great to see the EA of old is back in full force.

Well that was a stupid response but at least it was better than them saying deal with it. Just out of curiocity what were you hoping for as a response ?

Just beat the game.

I have a slight extremely crazy theory hope but I am super pissed about the ending. Check my post history and see that I was very optimistic going into the final stretch.

See you all in the spoiler thread.

Before last mission spoilers

lol @ walking in on Tali and Garrus. I never suspected.

Time to face the music and see the horrible ending everyone is talking about.

i-Lo

Need help with two things:

1. I can't seem to find the location where
Volus asks me to rescue
Shadow Broker's
mercenary group
. Note that I have only completed one major story mission after reacquiring Normandy which was to
bring aboard Turian's new Primarch to the ship

2. The second question pertains to Liara. I romanced her in ME1. Now, in ME2 I went with Tali. At present
I got dragged into the convo with her where she asked me if I still had feelings for her.
At this point I had to re-load because
I want to know if Tali's face is shown in ME3
before I give my decision.

Help me out from this please...

ShutEye

Well that was a stupid response but at least it was better than them saying deal with it. Just out of curiocity what were you hoping for as a response ?

I wasn't really hoping for anything per se, I just wanted to see how they'd respond given that the precedent for 'special editions' was that they were generally readily available.

I guess I expected PR speak about how they were just overwhelmed by the response. The UK thing really caught me off guard.

Nemesis_

Need help with two things:

1. I can't seem to find the location where
Volus asks me to rescue
Shadow Broker's
mercenary group
. Note that I have only completed one major story mission after reacquiring Normandy which was to
bring aboard Turian's new Primarch to the ship

2. The second question pertains to Liara. I romanced her in ME1. Now, in ME2 I went with Tali. At present
I got dragged into the convo with her where she asked me if I still had feelings for her.
At this point I had to re-load because
I want to know if Tali's face is shown in ME3
before I give my decision.

Help me out from this please...

Regarding your second point.

You do see her face but it's merely a picture sitting on Shepard's desk rather than being an in-game reveal. You can google the image if you are that curious, the pay off is not worth it. Stay with Liara

i-Lo

Regarding your second point.

You do see her face but it's merely a picture sitting on Shepard's desk rather than being an in-game reveal. You can google the image if you are that curious, the pay off is not worth it. Stay with Liara

aye, thanks!

MechaX

Huh. Rannoch ended better than I expected given a lot of the hubbub about it.

Legion died, but I somehow got the cooperation of both the Quarians and the Geth. But interestingly, I have been reading that a lot of people didn't get the paragon/renegade choice to show up despite having import saves (with that said, I don't get why it takes a paragon/renegade option for Shepard just to tell both sides to shut the fuck up). Plus, both of the alternatives are quite depressing. Legion getting axed and Tali committing suicide... Jesus...

Zeliard

You have to get it high level for it to be really effective. The "nova takes 50% of energy not 100% and can be used twice" ability is required, and then I went with the "25% chance of not using any shield".

But I love Cryo Ammo. That was actually the skill I maxed first (in ME1 and 2 as well). The freeze triggers SO often and is very useful. It's also fun from a visual standpoint seeing them frozen and shatter. From reading the thread it seems that most people use the abilities way more than I have... the charge + nova combo, specifically. And lots of melee'ing. I like the guns, cryo ammo, and Pull better and use the charge+nova combo maybe once per fight.

Pull is another one I maxed, a fun and useful skill vs. non-shielded enemies. The last level upgrade for it throws out 2 of them throwing 2 guys in the air. Having a party member with Overload is a good combo with Vanguard.

I use everything. I vary it up in every battle, and there are a large number of power combinations to play with. Cryo Ammo is indeed a treat.

Let me tell you the picture story of a gentleman named Geth Rocket Trooper, in four parts:

masseffect32012-03-110jjyb.png

masseffect32012-03-11t4j0d.png

masseffect32012-03-11ywkrn.png

masseffect32012-03-11gwk01.png

Also, the major reason Charge is so useful is that when you get it to level 6, and you pick the good upgrade, it gives you a full shield every time you use it. As you can imagine, this comes in handy. :p

It combos well with Nova since Nova uses up your shield to determine its strength. If you have lvl 6 Charge recharging every 3 seconds, you can use it to get your shield back and then use Nova to use it up, and rinse and repeat.

I'm personally not a fan of the double Nova. I went with the other upgrade. It's far more effective to simply use Nova once and then Charge again to regain your entire shield. It's pretty pointless to get a weaker Nova just so you can use it twice in a row, since Charge recharges so quickly anyway.

Charge is also greatly useful for flanking, since it launches you across the entire room in the blink of an eye. Outside of getting my shield back, that's what I use it most often for. You can post two teammates in front and then Charge around to the side or back super-quickly, and own the enemies' flank before they even know what hit them.

i-Lo

One more thing. Is anyone else suffering from the horrible black crush problem (I am on 360)? It gets worse trying to increase the brightness (which I did) that results in gradations of colours in the exposed walls in the surrounding walls of dark areas.

Shepard

Legion died, but I somehow got the cooperation of both the Quarians and the Geth. But interestingly, I have been reading that a lot of people didn't get the paragon/renegade choice to show up despite having import saves (with that said, I don't get why it takes a paragon/renegade option for Shepard just to tell both sides to shut the fuck up). Plus, both of the alternatives are quite depressing. Legion getting axed and Tali committing suicide... Jesus...

I didn't, tried my best to keep both sides, even
didn't do the "deactivate Geth fighters mission", cause I thought that, by doing so, the Geth would die. Well, They all died anyway :\

Patryn

didn't do the "deactivate Geth fighters mission", cause I thought that, by doing so, the Geth would die. Well, They all died anyway :\

Ironically, by not doing that mission, you made it so you couldn't have peace. At least, it affected the calculations.

It's not just importing that affects that. You need a total of five points to get peace. You can get five points in ME2. You can only get two points in ME3. You get two points for destroying the Geth Heretics, which means that if you picked the paragon option for that, you need to do everything else right, including the ME3 stuff in order to get peace.

Eusis

Tip:
If the other side is voluntarily offering information like that it MAY be a good idea to take up on it, since it's not like Legion would lead Shepard into a trap or anything.

More about that:
Legion actually recalls the Geth in the fighters into Geth Prime after you eliminate Reaper infections, neutralizing the fighters while winning Geth over to your side, so it really does serve both sides.

Shepard

Ironically, by not doing that mission, you made it so you couldn't have peace. At least, it affected the calculations.

It's not just importing that affects that. You need a total of five points to get peace. You can get five points in ME2. You can only get two points in ME3. You get two points for destroying the Geth Heretics, which means that if you picked the paragon option for that, you need to do everything else right, including the ME3 stuff in order to get peace.

Tip:
If the other side is voluntarily offering information like that it MAY be a good idea to take up on it, since it's not like Legion would lead Shepard into a trap or anything.

More about that:
Legion actually recalls the Geth in the fighters into Geth Prime after you eliminate Reaper infections, neutralizing the fighters while winning Geth over to your side, so it really does serve both sides.

And my prize for it is a bug that won't remove the mission from the codex even after I finished the story :\, guess it is for reminding me of the shit I did. lol

lol very nice

Yeah I just didn't want to abuse the charge+nova fully upgraded combo. The guns are really fun to use and have such a strong OOMPH to them. Good lord at some of these shotgun sound effects, feels like mini nukes going off with some of them. Hell all of the guns have such incredible sound effects... sniper rifles, pistols, ARs, even the SMGs. It makes the gunplay so satisfying and is why I'm happy I didn't go Adept and ability-heavy.

Top Bottom