• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Zeliard

lol very nice

Yeah I just didn't want to abuse the charge+nova fully upgraded combo. The guns are really fun to use and have such a strong OOMPH to them. Good lord at some of these shotgun sound effects, feels like mini nukes going off with some of them. Hell all of the guns have such incredible sound effects... sniper rifles, pistols, ARs, even the SMGs. It makes the gunplay so satisfying and is why I'm happy I didn't go Adept and ability-heavy.

The gunplay is a lot of fun yeah. Aiming controls surprisingly well with mouse (though the cover system is another matter); it's fun getting midair headshots on floating enemies. I picked up the Carnifex recently and that thing is lol. With Cryo Ammo + Carnifex, fools just explode.

I think playing for max effectiveness all the time is boring. People who just Charge --> Nova ---> Charge ---> Nova all day or do some other thing over and over and then complain that the combat is repetitive. There are some fun tools at your disposal, both through your own character and your teammates.

masseffect32012-03-12u9d99.png

That rocket? It's coming from a sabotaged Geth Rocket Trooper who thought he'd try a mid-air rocket hit on his flying buddy. I think the only reason it didn't hit is because the dude was already dead. :p

lol very nice

Yeah I just didn't want to abuse the charge+nova fully upgraded combo. The guns are really fun to use and have such a strong OOMPH to them. Good lord at some of these shotgun sound effects, feels like mini nukes going off with some of them. Hell all of the guns have such incredible sound effects... sniper rifles, pistols, ARs, even the SMGs. It makes the gunplay so satisfying and is why I'm happy I didn't go Adept and ability-heavy.

I was a Vanguard and discovered myself how well Charge and Nova worked after upgrading...but I would never want to bore myself using only those. I actually went out of my way to use the Chakra AR you get from playing the Kingdoms of Amalur demo. Lots of punch to the sound, somewhere between shotgun and AR, with explosive ammo. With that I'd set it up with fire, cryo, or squad bonus armor-piercing ammo for the desired effect and blast away until I needed to save myself with charge rather than the other way around.

Shepard

I was a Vanguard and discovered myself how well Charge and Nova worked after upgrading...but I would never want to bore myself using only those. I actually went out of my way to use the Chakra AR you get from playing the Kingdoms of Amalur demo. Lots of punch to the sound, somewhere between shotgun and AR, with explosive ammo. With that I'd set it up with fire, cryo, or squad bonus armor-piercing ammo for the desired effect and blast away until I needed to save myself with charge rather than the other way around.

People who abuse Nova+Charge will never know the joy of pull+shockwave, that's badass

Chakram launcher is the only gun I use. It's awesome. Though I might switch in that nailgun shotgun. I used it on the mission where you find it and it was pretty sweet too.

Pull -> Chakram fire is a fun combo. Or Slam if you get the timing right.

GSR

So I'm getting the heavy impression it's a good idea to bring Javik to both
Thessia
and
Rannoch
because of what he adds to the scenes there. Are there further missions afterwards he's a good idea to bring along for plot reasons? Yes/no will be fine.

Zeliard

Chakram launcher is the only gun I use. It's awesome. Though I might switch in that nailgun shotgun. I used it on the mission where you find it and it was pretty sweet too.

Pull + Slam is hilarious. I've gone through a good stretch of the game with Javik and there's been a whole lot of that. :p

When you curve the Pulls upwards and get some nice height on them, and if you've got Slam's force level upgraded, enemies slam to the floor so violently. They literally land so hard that they bounce back up another several feet.

Shepard

Pull is awesome especially when upgraded to grab two at a time. Then Chakram shooting gallery time...heh.

Edit: And I'm obviously not the only one digging Pull-into-Chakram....lol

I went with the short recharge time upgrade, Imma overload-pull-shockwaving the whole field right now.

Well on the plus side you brought Garrus with you. Now you have someone to bro out with.

Now that you mention, we did shoot some cans while looking at the reapers from a distance in the end of the mission.

can someone tell me how to make upgrades appear on the intel terminal in Liara's room? thanks!

You have to find them in the Galaxy map/during missions first.

Pull + Slam is hilarious. I've gone through a good stretch of the game with Javik and there's been a whole lot of that. :p

When you curve the Pulls upwards and get some nice height on them, and if you've got Slam's force level upgraded, enemies slam to the floor so violently. They literally land so hard that they bounce back up another several feet.

I like Slamming cerberus troops as they are about to jump out of a dropship. Then slamming them again on the bounce.

rozay

Banned
Just a random observation, I think overall I was disappointed with the squadmate selection. They stated they wanted to focus on just a few this time and the benefits are pretty obvious with the amount of dialogue and banter they now have, but, for example, aside from 2 specific parts in the dialogue, Liara's character never seemed to treat the player as more than just another person/friend regardless of the backstory from the previous 2 games.

I've been using garrus and liara this whole time and honestly I don't really care for any of the other squad mates. I'll probably add the DLC character to this list on my next playthrough (I wanted to see how the story played out without him first)

Random question about the end of the Rannoch mission for anyone who took this path in ME2:
what does Tali do if she's exiled from the fleet and states to you that she doesn't care about the future of her people in ME2? Will she still kill herself if you side with the geth? Does she even show up in this mission if you took that outcome?

I was wondering why Kal'Reegar never showed up, then I saw the email later on. :(

Tagg9

I've been using garrus and liara this whole time and honestly I don't really care for any of the other squad mates. I'll probably add the DLC character to this list on my next playthrough (I wanted to see how the story played out without him first)

I know what you mean 100% - I almost exclusively select those two for every single mission. I can't stand that retard Vega.

megalowho

Chakram Launcher was also my favorite weapon in the game. That was the gun you get from the Amalur demo? I'm glad I played that demo then.

Riposte

That virtual
world on Rannoch is quite cool!

Two things I didn't like about it:

1. A puzzle section with very boring puzzles.

BioWare's excuses to not make 3D models of suit-less Quarians is kind of exposed here, especially if you romanced Tali in ME2 and beyond. "Have you seen a Quarian's face?" "Well, one" "Doesn't count"

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I know I'm late to this, but just got the game (so far behind in backlog). Is this From Ashes DLC worth it? What's the general consensus. I've never downloaded a DLC add-on before, but this is saying it's a full squad member and more story from the others? I have 640 MS Points... I'd have to add more... but it's tempting. If people say worth it.

Miranda spoilers, don't highlight unless you are very, very near end game:

Is there anyway to save her besides romancing her as male Shep? Romanced her and had her loyalty in ME2 but broke off the romance in the beginning of the game. Apparently that cut off part of a conversation that is needed to save her. Did all other aspects of her questline (visited her hologram at the Specter station, gave her the alliance intel at her apartment) and went with the paragon option. Did I miss something? Sucks horribly.

Riposte

I know I'm late to this, but just got the game (so far behind in backlog). Is this From Ashes DLC worth it? What's the general consensus. I've never downloaded a DLC add-on before, but this is saying it's a full squad member and more story from the others? I have 640 MS Points... I'd have to add more... but it's tempting. If people say worth it.

The DLC character is more of a squad mate than Kaiden/Ashely (romance-aside, wouldn't know). Lots of conversations and conversations with other members of crew (some of which are really funny). He also changes up a mission late in the game involving Liara by a huge degree.

If you're into the story of ME it's a pretty good buy. He has a lot of dialogue on the ship, he even talks to the other squadmates a lot (especially Liara). It doesn't really change the story of ME3 (at least not that I've seen so far), but it gives you a much fuller understanding of the protheans.

John Harker

Ah, ya bums. You talked me into it. First DLC bought.

And here I hear they have a 40% day 1 attach rate for this guy. Part of the problem, etc etc

The DLC character is more of a squad mate than Kaiden/Ashely (romance-aside, wouldn't know). Lots of conversations and conversations with other members of crew (some of which are really funny). He also changes up a mission late in the game involving Liara by a huge degree.

Can you summarize how that mission changes? I finished it a day or two ago and I didn't bring him.

jackdoe

Can you summarize how that mission changes? I finished it a day or two ago and I didn't bring him.
You get some history regarding the
Asari people and how their Gods were actually Protheans, 100% confirmed by Javik.
I started the mission with Garrus, but once I got near the end of the mission, I realized I needed to bring the From the Ashes squad mate so I restarted the mission. Worth it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I have a question. For the love of God, don't spoil anything.

Right now I'm at a point where I have to attack something
Attack the Illusive Man base

Am I close to the final? Just a yes and or no for answer.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Noooooooo, infinite loading screen when docking at
Cronos Station

Guess I'll stick to MP until they fix whatever the problem is.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know i should bring Javik to
Thessia, but is Liara also a necessity with him? Since...well... its her homeworld.

Anyway, why should i bring him? I know he got unique dialogues in here, but so is everyone else in every other missions. Do we learn much more on
Protheans
over there or something? Extra cutscenes?

MedHead

One more thing. Is anyone else suffering from the horrible black crush problem (I am on 360)? It gets worse trying to increase the brightness (which I did) that results in gradations of colours in the exposed walls in the surrounding walls of dark areas.

I am still uncertain whether the game has more contrast than the previous two, or if my memory of the previous games is that the gamut was wider. Either way, I feel the same way as you: things seem darker in this game, and far heavier in contrast.

Moaradin

I know i should bring Javik to
Thessia, but is Liara also a necessity with him? Since...well... its her homeworld.

Anyway, why should i bring him? I know he got unique dialogues in here, but so is everyone else in every other missions. Do we learn much more on
Protheans
over there or something? Extra cutscenes?

Yes.

Two things I didn't like about it:

1. A puzzle section with very boring puzzles.

BioWare's excuses to not make 3D models of suit-less Quarians is kind of exposed here, especially if you romanced Tali in ME2 and beyond. "Have you seen a Quarian's face?" "Well, one" "Doesn't count"

Number two there is as you say, my Shep said that at the very moment I was thinking it and the response might as well have been
"oh yeah, close up even...whatever, we'll skip that"

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I am still uncertain whether the game has more contrast than the previous two, or if my memory of the previous games is that the gamut was wider. Either way, I feel the same way as you: things seem darker in this game, and far heavier in contrast.
I think I said this before. They maybe have been trying to conceal the bloom by lowering the Gama. Everything can get a lot darker than the other games.

rozay

Banned
The contrast seems to me to be significantly higher than the previous 2 games.

When you start the mission via the map, Shepard will start talking to Hackett and you have the option to hold off and finish up everything else or embark on the mission.

Also, regarding quarians:
Can't understand why Bioware was too lazy to model Tali's face and instead left it as an image in your cabin.

John Harker

ugh wtf, why arent people making a bigger deal about not importing your original character face? I just encountered this, its ridiculous that it cant read ME2 face data after it was imported from 1. I spent like 110 hours with this guy. I don't want to remake him!

TehOh

Is there a way to increase "galactic readiness" without playing multiplayer? Will skipping multiplayer prevent me from getting a good ending?

Can anybody tell me the requirements for different endings without revealing any spoilers?

I played a couple of multiplayer matches and found it to be boring. I like this series for the story, world, etc - all of the RPG stuff. The shooting is fine, but it's kind of just something you do between talky bits.

Shepard

Is there a way to increase "galactic readiness" without playing multiplayer? Will skipping multiplayer prevent me from getting a good ending?

Can anybody tell me the requirements for different endings without revealing any spoilers?

I played a couple of multiplayer matches and found it to be boring. I like this series for the story, world, etc - all of the RPG stuff. The shooting is fine, but it's kind of just something you do between talky bits.

You can play the iphone game, and i think that was something about a facebook app, but I don't know much about it.

Tess3ract

Banned

Point of no return. Wrap up anything else you have going on.

Top Bottom