• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

so are all the side missions obtained by over hearing other character convos? pretty early into the game and this surprised me, if I didnt notice I would have likely missed out on a few of them as I progressed

Carbonox

45 hours and I'm finally at the end game. GOD FUCKING DAMN THIS GAME IS INCREDIBLE.

The environment and atmosphere for the
Kai Leng
fight was awesome. What a fitting place to duel.

Got me some Liara booty as well. Nice side-boobage. Laughed at the coupling in the calibration room though. :lol

Plasma

Banned
OK, quick romance question. I went with Liara in ME1 and Miranda in 2. And right now, I'm hesitating.

(kind of early spoilers)

I told Liara she was back in my life after Mars. But I've just met Miranda on the Citadel and if I don't tell her I want her back, it looks like I'll miss a sidequest about her sister.
Is there any way to have it both ways? i.e. romance Liara but still do Miranda's quest?

You get to do the quest regardless of who you pick as your love interest.

NO & A DEFINITE NO!
This game is closer to the first in length & nearly all the RPG aspects of the previous two games have been gutted.

Is this guy serious with these posts? How can someone be this wrong and not know it?

I put 40 hours into my first play-through. And to say ME2 has more RPG aspects... all your credibility just got destroyed.

winstano

Mmkay, I've just started the endgame, and I can honestly say I've heard one mention of "The Suicide Mission", and not a single thing has been said about my decision to destroy the collector base/Reaper tech at the end of ME2. Whilst they've done an amazing job at weaving stories through all 3 games, I thought the ending of ME2 was going to shape this a *lot* more than it has...

Have I just been doing it wrong? Or has anyone else seen this as well?

You get to do the quest regardless of who you pick as your love interest.

Following from this stuff, Miranda Spoilers, as well as a place about 3/4 of the game through:

I randomly found Miranda in the Citadel again sometime after our first conversation. She acted like she had contacted me again, but she had not. All she did was ask a couple of questions. I am just pre-investigating Sanctuary. Is there a quest later? Am I bugged, with no quest for me? Or was this talkyness all I get?

I'm really disappointed by the lack of variety in this game. It feels like every quest or mission follows the same template, and the sidequests seem like an afterthought. I'm not sure if I even want to finish.

Moaradin

I'm really disappointed by the lack of variety in this game. It feels like every quest or mission follows the same template, and the sidequests seem like an afterthought. I'm not sure if I even want to finish.

The game throws some unique things in every once in a while. That's more to say than ME1 and ME2 where every encounter is the same. And at least the combat is good this time. I personally was never bored of the combat, but I was playing on Hardcore. A lot of the encounters were challenging yet satisfying.

Nohar

... Ok, I'm confused : does ME3 has more or less RPG elements that ME2 ? I can't even tell if it's desinformation or not anymore.

By the way, I heard that the wheel of dialogue was kinda "nerfed", with less dialogue options, and the disparition of a "neutral" answer. Info or intox ?

Moaradin

... Ok, I'm confused : does ME3 has more or less RPG elements that ME2 ? I can't even tell if it's desinformation or not anymore.

By the way, I heard that the wheel of dialogue was kinda "nerfed", with less dialogue options, and the disparition of a "neutral" answer. Info or intox ?

A lot more. Talent tree is much better than even the ME1 one.

Mmkay, I've just started the endgame, and I can honestly say I've heard one mention of "The Suicide Mission", and not a single thing has been said about my decision to destroy the collector base/Reaper tech at the end of ME2. Whilst they've done an amazing job at weaving stories through all 3 games, I thought the ending of ME2 was going to shape this a *lot* more than it has...

Have I just been doing it wrong? Or has anyone else seen this as well?

Your choice should have been referenced early on by TIM in your conversation at the end of the Mars mission just before Dr.Eva (Edi's megababe robot body donator) is found by Ash.

Carbonox

More RPG elements than ME2. More side quests and customisation/upgrade options.

As for the dialogue wheel, there does appear to be less conversation path options than before, though there are still plenty of investigative options that help shed light on situations.

I'll do more research in to latter part once I do more 'new games' opting for exclusivity in Paragon/Renegade.

Balphon

They definitely dropped the neutral responses, but all the talk of fewer dialogue options/choices was overblown.

Gotta love Javik's comments on Joker

Javik: "You Joker pilot insists I should call myself Prothy the Prothean, I insisted that he allow me to throw him out of the airlock".

winstano

Your choice should have been referenced early on by TIM in your conversation at the end of the Mars mission just before Dr.Eva (Edi's megababe robot body donator) is found by Ash.

Hmmm... Seriously don't remember that conversation happening. Ah well, my bad if I missed it, just seems like it should've been even more of a big deal

aku08

More RPG elements than ME2. More side quests and customisation/upgrade options.

As for the dialogue wheel, there does appear to be less conversation path options than before, though there are still plenty of investigative options that help shed light on situations.

I'll do more research in to latter part once I do more 'new games' opting for exclusivity in Paragon/Renegade.

those "overheard" side quests shouldnt count. those things sucks so bad. i wanted more "ME2 loyalty missions" type side quests on this one. or even more of those N7 missions would be ok with me. and a useless journal doesnt help.

Moaradin

those "overheard" side quests shouldnt count. those things sucks so bad. i wanted more "ME2 loyalty missions" type side quests on this one. or even more of those N7 missions would be ok with me. and a useless journal doesnt help.

The meaty side quest are great.

Nohar

Ok, thank you everyone for your answers :)
It's weird to drop the neutral answers... But if I can still investigate like before, well, I'm not complaining that much (if they had removed that, I definitly would have been pissed).

Anyway, I think I'll wait until the game's price drop a little before buying it. I still need to do a Renegade Female Shepard run (my Parangon Male Shepard run through ME1 and ME2 was quite fun, but I want to see what happens when I act like an ass - though I'm definitly going to romance Garrus. He's adorable !), and I want to wait and see what EAware will do about the
OHMYGOD WHATTHEHELL IS THAT ENDING
issue. If they dare to correct this with expensive DLC, I'm gonna let Wrex EAT THEM !

Carbonox

Yeah you're probably right. And agreed on the loyalty missions. Substantial sidequests would have been a lot better than fetch quests. I'd take all I could get as I don't want the game to end. :(

Lakitu

st5fu
The worst side mission is (mid-game spoiler):
the Geth fighter squadron mission where you have to go inside a virtual program. I liked the little bits of lore added in but using a gun to shoot away a Reaper infection was beyond tedious.
The rest of them IMO ranged from good to great.

aku08

The meaty side quest are great.

i agree.
grissom academy
was awesome. my favorite by far. thats why i want more of that kind. i would gladly trade ALL the "overheard" type mission if i can get just a couple more side mission thats actually good.

NO & A DEFINITE NO!
This game is closer to the first in length & nearly all the RPG aspects of the previous two games have been gutted.

Are you high? The game has so many RPG aspects (loot, loot upgrades/attachments, armor, experience points, side-quests) that it'd be insane not to have it classified as an RPG. At worst you could call it a 3rd person action-RPG. Hell, the game even has the option of respecing anyone in your party's talent trees! It's just as much of an RPG as ME1 + 2. Nothing has been 'gutted.'

While it's not AS GOOD of an RPG as say, Baldur's Gate 2, Arcanum, or Fallout, it definitely is an RPG along the lines of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Alpha Protocol, etc.

Dresden

I just call it a TPS with rpg elements now because calling it an rpg seems to trigger an argument everywhere. Either way it works for me.

Nohar

... Hmmm, I've been wondering...

I'm a XBOX player. Let's say that I played ME1 and ME2 with french versions of the game (well, I'm French), but that I want to play ME3 in english. Do I need to order an UK copy of the game (hoping that french saves won't screw up with an english game - well, all games are PAL, but I can't be too cautious), or does this game finally give the option of the langage ?

I feel ME 2 is longer BUT to say that the RPG elements are worse than ME 2, then he must be off his head.

Go ahead, why don't you enlighten us with a comparison between ME 2 and ME 3's RPG elements?

Well first the mission design is straight up linear shooter levels, absolutely no sub-objectives, sub-plots, alternate routes, nothing. Mass Effect 2 missions were littered with them, as minor as they were, they still lended to the feeling that you weren't just playing a Gears level or a multiplayer map in single player. Things like hacking/bypass are gone, only one shitty hub instead of multiple shitty hubs, exploration is completely nonexistent both in the levels and on the galaxy map (you never just discover a mission by scanning a planet, for example, as you did in ME2). More weapons and weapon customization isn't enough to make up for what they streamlined out of an already streamlined system.

AAK

If there's anyone with the PS3 version, can you tell me how the load times are compared to ME2? Especially the loading times involved with going in between floors in the Normandy? Can you mention if you have the PSN or retail version?

rozay

Banned
Well first the mission design is straight up linear shooter levels, absolutely no sub-objectives, sub-plots, alternate routes, nothing. Mass Effect 2 missions were littered with them, as minor as they were, they still lended to the feeling that you weren't just playing a Gears level or a multiplayer map in single player.
you really feel that ME2's missions are less linear than ME3's?

Salaadin

Yes. You need 4000.

I used a save hack to push mine over 4000 and didnt get the "perfect" ending :(
It sucks because I was roughly 500 points away from but ran into 2 glitched quests and lost a bunch others thanks to a certain mission locking me out from completing them. I wonder if they would have pushed me over.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What happens now if you go to the second terminal even when the first one is still marked but already activated?

Nothing... absolutely nothing. You don't even see an indicator that points to the terminal. I looked in the guide so I know I'm in the right area. Plenty of other people on the Bioware forums have had problems with this quest.

I dunno I'll wait a few days and then just say "fuck it"...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I used a save hack to push mine over 4000 and didnt get the "perfect" ending :(
It sucks because I was roughly 500 points away from but ran into 2 glitched quests and lost a bunch others thanks to a certain mission locking me out from completing them. I wonder if they would have pushed me over.
You still need to do something else after to actually get the ending though.

Pick Destroy

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I've been busy doing a perfect 100% run of Mass Effect 2 on Insanity on and off for the last 2 weeks, and today I was finally done, and finally started on the single player for Mass Effect 3 and imported my character that saved the galaxy since ME1 - luckily I only really had to change the skin to the darkest skin tone.

Now, bearing in mind that I've been playing the ol' Mass Effect 2 for the last two weeks, and I loved how much that game looked visually up till this afternoon, but when I got to the very first mission after the intro bit that was the same in the demo ended, I was blown away by the visuals, textures, cutscences, lighting and effects for ME3 - holy. shit. And I'm just like 10 minutes in.

Wow.

Oh and thanks to EA support, I got the N7 Warfare pack, so now I got all of the DLC available so far for ME3 for free, just like I did for ME2 aside from that weapon DLC you had to pay for.

Also got the Collector's Edition guide yesterday from Amazon after the Art of Mass Effect came in, got them both half-price with free shipping - love you Amazon! Now my ME Collector's guide and artbook collection is complete - I might take a pic of all three CE's, the first guide and the other two CE guides after I beat the game. Until then, I'm out again.

Didn't read this thread once since the day it went up

you really feel that ME2's missions are less linear than ME3's?

Yes. Is there a single Niftu Cal moment in ME3? Or in that same level you find that Asari who pretends to be innocent and you can kill her or let her go? Working through the quarantine zone on Omega you found NPCs to deal with in different ways, the sequence leading up the Archangel assault where you could walk around and talk to people and hack the mech, etc.. ME3 offers nothing but blasting through with your gun out start to finish.

Salaadin

You still need to do something else after to actually get the ending though.

Pick Destroy

I did that too. I also
interrupted TIM with the renegade QTE and Anderson still died even though I read that he would live. Save hacking must not work even though the game reports me at 5700+

Well first the mission design is straight up linear shooter levels, absolutely no sub-objectives, sub-plots, alternate routes, nothing. Mass Effect 2 missions were littered with them, as minor as they were, they still lended to the feeling that you weren't just playing a Gears level or a multiplayer map in single player. Things like hacking/bypass are gone, only one shitty hub instead of multiple shitty hubs, exploration is completely nonexistent both in the levels and on the galaxy map (you never just discover a mission by scanning a planet, for example, as you did in ME2). More weapons and weapon customization isn't enough to make up for what they streamlined out of an already streamlined system.

Yes. Is there a single Niftu Cal moment in ME3? Or in that same level you find that Asari who pretends to be innocent and you can kill her or let her go? Working through the quarantine zone on Omega you found NPCs to deal with in different ways, the sequence leading up the Archangel assault where you could walk around and talk to people and hack the mech, etc.. ME3 offers nothing but blasting through with your gun out start to finish.

these are some reasons why I preferred ME2. the actual combat once you into firefights is improved, but the non-combat moments felt nonexistent.

Top Bottom