• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

... Hmmm, I've been wondering...

I'm a XBOX player. Let's say that I played ME1 and ME2 with french versions of the game (well, I'm French), but that I want to play ME3 in english. Do I need to order an UK copy of the game (hoping that french saves won't screw up with an english game - well, all games are PAL, but I can't be too cautious), or does this game finally give the option of the langage ?

There's an English voice track set as a free DLC on the marketplace if you want to buy a local copy.

senador

Banned
Now, bearing in mind that I've been playing the ol' Mass Effect 2 for the last two weeks, and I loved how much that game looked visually up till this afternoon, but when I got to the very first mission after the intro bit that was the same in the demo ended, I was blown away by the visuals, textures, cutscences, lighting and effects for ME3 - holy. shit. And I'm just like 10 minutes in.

The game is really quite good looking in many parts. The lighting is pretty spectacular. A lot of moments look and feel very cinematic.

Do yourself a favor and lighten up your display or a few notches up in the menus. I think I am 3 up. The black levels are so dark that you lose a lot of detail and it actually throws the colors off. Adjusting it will make the game look much better.

vaelic

Banned
LOL

A petition to change the endings to Mass Effect 3 has raised $40K in just one day.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-effect-3-petition-raises-40k-criticisms.aspx

LaunchTrailerShot610.jpg

bengraven

I just call it a TPS with rpg elements now because calling it an rpg seems to trigger an argument everywhere. Either way it works for me.

That works for me.

It hits all the right buttons for me as an "RPG". I don't care about stats and such: I just want a great story and be able to customize my gear. If that's an "action game with RPG elements" that's fine, but it hits more notes on the RPG side than action squad for me.

Tess3ract

Banned
Donating to child's play in order to garner attention to a game's shitty inexcusable ending where the developers essentially lied to us for years is bad how?

They paid for a product, they should get their money's worth if the overwhelming majority demands it.

And Mass Effect is a TPS with rpg elements. There isn't nearly enough "rpg" in it to be an action rpg.

daoster

This is the epitome of dumb, as Jeff said on the bombcast, it is VERY misguided that people feel entitled that they can ask for this.

Money wasted. EDIT: oh, the money is going to a charity, well, I don't know what to think of this now

Entitled? The fact that these people have donated money at all would show that these would be Bioware's biggest and most loyal fans...I mean....just throwing money for essentially nothing.

These are the fans that Bioware should be keeping happy, because these are their core fanbase.

Erik Kain explains it well: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...and-the-pernicious-myth-of-gamer-entitlement/

Dany

Banned
Entitled? The fact that these people have donated money at all would show that these would be Bioware's biggest and most loyal fans...I mean....just throwing money for essentially nothing.

These are the fans that Bioware should be keeping happy, because these are their core fanbase.

Erik Kain explains it well: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...and-the-pernicious-myth-of-gamer-entitlement/

This gesture that donating to a charity somehow equals fan outrage is boggling to me. Like "I'm so angry at bioware that I am going to give money to a charity so these kid can play games!!!"

I just don't see the connection.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
What if you can't account for everything and if bioware wanted us to see that, in the OT of Mass Effect 3, I'd say its fair game.

If you want to be a dick, go ahead. Why don't you also tell us what happens at that scene?

That's what the SPOILERS thread is for, son.

pringles

Okay, I'm like 1 hour into the game, just set foot on the Citadel for the first time.

But fuck, this game feels good. Don't have any idea how the quality will hold up, but the writing and voice acting seems a step up from ME2.. just seems snappier and more concise and confident. There's a real nice flow to conversations, and the animation seems to have been improved as well.. noticed several well-done little looks and such.

The graphics are really something as well. Even though the Illusive Man's "office" looked a little worse than in ME2 somehow, overall it's a giant leap forward imo.. especially taking into consideration how much better it runs than ME1 and 2. Everything seems more detailed and 'real'. Not so clean and plastic.

Looking forward to getting deeper into the game as right now I've barely scratched the surface, but if the beginning is indicative of overall quality, this will definitely stand head and shoulders above ME2 atleast.

kai3345

Banned
Is
Attacking the Cerberus base
the point of no return? The game sure made it seem like it. But at the same time that seemed incredibly early for the endgame to be starting, I'm barely 20 hours in and ive done a fair amount of side missions.

DTKT

This gesture that donating to a charity somehow equals fan outrage is boggling to me. Like "I'm so angry at bioware that I am going to give money to a charity so these kid can play games!!!"

I just don't see the connection.

There isn't one and I'm not sure why you are looking for one.

It's a show of "support". Just a bunch of fans saying, "this is how much we care". All the money is going to charity, it's not used to make some kind of giant statue with the words "The ending sucks" and sending it to Bioware.

:|

I'm around 18 hours in to the game.
First line of the spoiler stuff is what I did last as unspoilery as possible.

I just did the big mission thing on the Citadel and tons of running around on there afterwards.

Well... Udina was evil. Yup. That makes lots of sense, sure whatever fine. And Raiden some Cerberus ninja guy. Is Bioware trying to be Kojima or something?
I guess the mission itself was okay. They finally introduced a new enemy type, but it's basically just someone who rolls around more and has a barrier instead of a shield. Oh well, it's something. I'll take what I can get. That assassin guy... Man. I think I dislike him more than I disliked Jack in ME2. He just looks so incredibly stupid. Ugh.

Poor Thane. : (
He had a good death scene, though. At least Bioware is doing those justice as they come.

Conrad Verner... hahahaha, I actually really got a kick out of his dramatic dive to save my life. That scene was just really funny. Well, until the part where he was hitting on that poor girl I saved back in ME1. She has no idea...

You want to know something freaking ridiculous?
SEVENTEEN. SEVENTEEN. That's how many missions I got after the big Citadel stuff. I don't have a problem at all with lots of sidequests, but what is this? Where is the moderation? Where is the pacing? This has been something I've noticed in other areas of the game as well. For example, when they tend to start giving you weapons/items in levels, they tend to just give you a major item dump to pick up. Was there just no better way to implement this stuff? Why just drop major chunks of content like that?

I was pleased to see a few more things carry over from previous games, like the Batarian from Bring Down the Sky dlc. It may not be huge stuff, but it's much, much better than a simple email. Definitely glad to see them holding up their end with some of this stuff.

What is up with all of my dialogue being so geared towards relationships?! It doesn't even matter who the character is or how I've responded to them before! The reporter, Vega, Cortez, Liara, Traynor, and just EVERYONE! I mean, bloody hell. It was bad enough in ME2, but it feels like they cranked it up to 11. The Jack one was annoying too, but I did laugh at her "everyone knows you can't dance" line, haha.

Well, I finally had mention of the Quarians... Thank God.
Too bad I have SEVENTEEN sidequests to deal with before I push on with story stuff. I'm paranoid about not doing sidequest stuff before doing priority missions since other people have had them vanish or whatever.

I think I can basically sum up my experience with ME3 to this point "...what is this?"
I've found myself saying it out loud on an extremely regular basis. Between situations that are nonsensical to forced character interactions to the direction of the story... I don't hate. I just don't like it. I'm finding myself apathetic the longer this goes on for. Man, I really want this to change. I honestly don't want to end up not liking this game. I've liked the previous two games, for better or worse, and I don't want it to end like this. : (

Yes. Is there a single Niftu Cal moment in ME3? Or in that same level you find that Asari who pretends to be innocent and you can kill her or let her go? Working through the quarantine zone on Omega you found NPCs to deal with in different ways, the sequence leading up the Archangel assault where you could walk around and talk to people and hack the mech, etc.. ME3 offers nothing but blasting through with your gun out start to finish.

I feel the same way about this game. Playing Mass Effect 3 has allowed me to look at Mass Effect 2 in a more favorable light. :/

jediyoshi

You want to know something freaking ridiculous?
SEVENTEEN. SEVENTEEN. That's how many missions I got after the big Citadel stuff. I don't have a problem at all with lots of sidequests, but what is this? Where is the moderation? Where is the pacing?
Were you not keeping up with your missions?

Were you not keeping up with your missions?
No, I've been doing all of my sidequests before the priorities.

I literally got 17 missions as I walked through the citadel. I had completely cleared them out except for 2 or 3, but I got 17 NEW ones after the attack. Freaking ridiculous...

This is the epitome of dumb, as Jeff said on the bombcast, it is VERY misguided that people feel entitled that they can ask for this.

Money wasted. EDIT: oh, the money is going to a charity, well, I don't know what to think of this now

Why do people keep using the word entitled like they are comparing Mass Effect to some civil liberty everyone has a right to? This is a consumer product and consumer products live and die by the satisfaction of the consumer. If Bioware wants to be taken seriously or have any kind of hype from their core fanbase for any game they make after this they have to acknowledge and appease the consumer.

(i haven't finished the game so I still have no opinion)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Do some missions have a time limit that expire if you don't go do it? Like those priority missions, I'm doing some sidequests and leaving those unattended...is it a bad idea?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I literally got 17 missions as I walked through the citadel. I had completely cleared them out except for 2 or 3, but I got 17 NEW ones after the attack. Freaking ridiculous...
Don't worry they're mostly all fetch quests.
:p

I just don't like that the journal is basically useless with updates on each quest.

Do some missions have a time limit that expire if you don't go do it? Like those priority missions, I'm doing some sidequests and leaving those unattended...is it a bad idea?
I think only one
, Grissom Academy,
has a time limit.

I'm so bummed the character creator got basically no additions as far as hair and beards across 3 games.

To make it worse, they never changed the horribly limited viewing angles and lighting in the creator too. I don't know until I get in game how stupid my shep looks at some angles, or if something is really off.

Look, I just want Adam Jensen as my shep. I'll even buy it!

Pancho

Qurupancho

I just don't like that the journal is basically useless with updates on each quest.

I think only one
, Grissom Academy,
has a time limit.

So I can safely keep doing side missions without fearing that the
Turian homeworld gets destroyed or something

Yeah, but it's just the principle of the thing!

I really hate how bad it is about updating the journal too. There was one quest where I found the item before I got the quest and happened to find the person on the Citadel it was for. I had completely forgotten I had found it, and it popped the quest into my journal after I gave it to them. How was I supposed to remember to give it to them when it wasn't even reminding me I needed to? Who dropped the ball with this stuff?

Dr.Acula

Banned
So check out this e-mail I just got.

Dear Dr.Acula,

Thank you for pre-ordering Mass Effect™ 3 N7 Collector's Edition.

Follow these instructions to redeem your exclusive items:

1. If you do not have the Origin client installed, download it from http://www.origin.com/download
2. Launch Origin (Start>Programs>Origin) and log in, or create a new account if you don’t already have one.
3. Click the “cog” icon and select “Redeem Product Code”.
4. Follow the on screen instructions to enter your code for:
- AT-12 Raider Shotgun:
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
- M55 Argus Assault Rifle:
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Please do not reply to this email. For customer support, please visit http://help.ea.com.

Happy gaming!

Origin Team

Wow... Thanks guys! I'm like 90% of the way through the game. LOL, they still haven't given me my N7 armor...

jediyoshi

Out of about the 40 quests in total that you get in the citadel altogether, it's not relatively high. Assuming you've done a fair amount of scanning already clearing out the earlier quests, I'd be suprised if you somehow avoided getting most of the things you already needed to get to turn in.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yeah, but it's just the principle of the thing!

I really hate how bad it is about updating the journal too. There was one quest where I found the item before I got the quest and happened to find the person on the Citadel it was for. I had completely forgotten I had found it, and it popped the quest into my journal after I gave it to them. How was I supposed to remember to give it to them when it wasn't even reminding me I needed to? Who dropped the ball with this stuff?
Sometimes the quest person appears on the Map, sometimes they don't.

Not real spoilers, just marking for the sake and respect of other posters in here.

Also, just wanted to say, I think the way I would really love for the series to end is
the reapers win in both the good and bad endings. The good ending maybe just leaves a bit of hope for the next cycle or something (ala stuff left behind like Protheans), but I'd really like the games to end with the reapers just winning no matter what you do. It'd be the most logical way for things to really turn out.

I'm scared for the ending, since I've seen lots of people complaining about it, but I'm hopeful... : (

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just finished. 38 hours, did everything. Absolutely incredible. I loved the ending and am shocked at all the hate it's getting. I really don't understand why so many people don't like it. It's definitely divisive but I thought more people would be on my side.

The last few hours were also some of the best combat and dialogue in the series. Goddamn, this may be my favorite game ever.

I need to get sleep before I have to get up for work in four hours so I'll write up more tomorrow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just finished. 38 hours, did everything. Absolutely incredible. I loved the ending and am shocked at all the hate it's getting. I really don't understand why so many people don't like it. It's definitely divisive but I thought more people would be on my side.

The last few hours were also some of the best combat and dialogue in the series. Goddamn, this may be my favorite game ever.

I need to get sleep before I have to get up for work in four hours so I'll write up more tomorrow.

To anyone worried about the endings, if you liked the finales of Lost and BSG, you'll love this.

While I didn't like the ending, I will say the actual ending mission was a RUSH. The combat and dialog there was all excellently done.

JustinBB7

Not real spoilers, just marking for the sake and respect of other posters in here.

Also, just wanted to say, I think the way I would really love for the series to end is
the reapers win in both the good and bad endings. The good ending maybe just leaves a bit of hope for the next cycle or something (ala stuff left behind like Protheans), but I'd really like the games to end with the reapers just winning no matter what you do. It'd be the most logical way for things to really turn out.

I'm scared for the ending, since I've seen lots of people complaining about it, but I'm hopeful... : (

After everything
Shepard (you) have done for around 60 to 100 hours, you want that? I'm pretty sure that's why everybody hates the current ending lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Final mission spoilers:
speaking to each crew member for the last time was incredible and, for me, very moving. Knowing that this was it. Three games worth of growth and time spent with virtual friends, all coming down to this moment. "Give them hell. You were born to do this."

- J - D -

To anyone worried about the endings, if you liked the finales of _______________, you'll love this.

UGGHHH The implications alone kinda piss me off. I feel like that hint itself should have been spoiler tagged, but I'm not fretting too much.

Korosenai

Alright I just bought this game yesterday and i've been doing nothing but playing multiplayer, and i'm upgrading my guys powers, and I was just wondering what power damage is? Is it for strengthening my melee?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright I just bought this game yesterday and i've been doing nothing but playing multiplayer, and i'm upgrading my guys powers, and I was just wondering what power damage is? Is it for strengthening my melee?

Power damage would be stuff like biotic abilites such as shockwave.

Ending Comment, edited because as the poster above mentioned, it implies a certain type of ending.

To anyone worried about the endings, if you liked the finales of Lost and BSG, you'll love this.

I haven't seen the ending yet, and am keeping an open mind. But what you have just said is the greatest indication I have seen yet that it will be shit.
Lost
was okay, not what I would have preferred.
BSG was absolute shit.

JustinBB7

Final mission spoilers:
speaking to each crew member for the last time was incredible and, for me, very moving. Knowing that this was it. Three games worth of growth and time spent with virtual friends, all coming down to this moment. "Give them hell. You were born to do this."

That was indeed amazing,
specially with Liara, I personally wish Miranda was actually there with me (since she was my LI), but still the Liara scene was amazing.

And..again.. this is why I kinda hate the ending even more, they set it up so perfectly, just those last damn 5 minutes..

Top Bottom